GIGABYTE AORUS FV43U 43 inch 4k 144 HDR1000 QLED monitor

so I managed to get a moment to test using DP (using the cable included with the monitor) and I get the exact same audio issue... pretty sure its safe to say its faulty at this point?

WARNING - might be loud when the game audio kicks in...

launching Pumpkin Jack is a really quick way for me to duplicate the issue for some reason, but it will eventually start making a quieter noise just sitting on the desktop too...

What volume level do you have the FV set at? Looks like it unless both cable is being route through something that generate a lot of EM noise.

What volume level do you have the FV set at? Looks like it unless both cable is being route through something that generate a lot of EM noise.
that was recorded with it at only 1 or 2... the DP cable (and previously HDMI cable) is running untidily and very directly... nothing is cabled up nicely at this point, i think i just got a dud in the audio department... but i don't plan on using the built in speakers ultimately, so perhaps i'll just ignore it, it is a shame though - nearly got a perfect one

Well 2 options I would consider either exchange & possibly get dead pixels or some random issue with panel that your current one doesn't have.

Or, keep it & never worry about the monitors built in audio. From my experience of 25 years using PCs I have never once used the monitors audio. Not saying that is a valid reason to keep it because it should work properly but I can't stand any monitor or Tvs audio quality so I would never notice it myself. Any decent 2.1 would annihilate the monitors audio.

Also I tested the FV43Us monitor audio & while it was loud I am too used to higher quality speakers & subs so I would never use them, like ever lol.

Also I don't have consoles. Never have never will. So I go optical straight from the pcs sound card to the optical input on my 5.1.

Not sure if you need the monitors audio output to work with many inputs if the audio outputs create the same issie then that might be a problem.
yeah look as I've mentioned on other replies, I won't be using the built-in speakers once I've got everything in place, but it is annoying that it appears to have this issue and if/when I sell it on in future I either have to play dumb about it or be upfront that its got dodgy audio, lol... biggest worry would be replacing it and getting something that has an issue with something that actually matters like you say... i can certainly deal with this but it doesn't make it unfortunate or slightly annoying given its great otherwise

Ah the line out port. Yea ,that cable will work. I wonder how much it can handle? would be great if it can do 7.1 dolby atmos pass-through.
Optical can only do PCM 2.0 or Dolby Digital / DTS. For LPCM or any of the higher bandwidth formats, you need HDMI (in theory there's no reason displayport couldn't do it, but I'm not aware of any receivers that can take a displayport signal)

Optical can only do PCM 2.0 or Dolby Digital / DTS. For LPCM or any of the higher bandwidth formats, you need HDMI (in theory there's no reason displayport couldn't do it, but I'm not aware of any receivers that can take a displayport signal)

Thanks. still looking for a way for my PC not to see dual monitor and just use HDMI digital audio to my receiver if I plug the HDMI out from receiver into one of the HDMI on the FV. Works fine and allow me to use HDMI digital out on NCP as long as I don't plug in the HDMI from the receiver back into the FV. May have to try one of this and see:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0979Y3MYX

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Could you not just hit windows+P to keep only the display you want enabled but still set the hdmi output as your audio device?

Could you not just hit windows+P to keep only the display you want enabled but still set the hdmi output as your audio device?

It keep seeing it as dual display and the use HDMI for Digital audio is grayed out in NCP. It didn't happen when I'm using the CG437K with the exact same setup. The only thing that change is that I swapped the FV in place of the CG437K.

Speaking of the audio output, does anyone know if the DAC and its associated output quality is any good?

Helpful video I found to get your black levels correct.

To check for black crush, move your head to the side away from column 17, then move it in front of column 17.
Here's a good example of really bad black crush on a different monitor:

Last edited:
I thought black crush was the inability for a monitor (or certain settings on said monitor) to not be able to display the darker greys at all no matter the angle of viewing, "crushing" them into black - rather than VA's trend of very deep blacks head-on.

Interesting test though, I can just about see 17 flashing head on.

Speaking of the audio output, does anyone know if the DAC and its associated output quality is any good?

You talking about the built-in speakers on the FV? They do sound pretty good for monitor speakers and can go pretty loud. but I usually send the audio to my receiver for my 7.1 system

You talking about the built-in speakers on the FV? They do sound pretty good for monitor speakers and can go pretty loud. but I usually send the audio to my receiver for my 7.1 system
More the line-out quality. I'm not a fan of "TV" speakers in general, too tinny and/or mid-heavy. I've got a pair of studio monitors for music production work, just wondering what sort of output quality the FV43U has in that regard if I were to hook those up. I get that it's not something touched on in monitor reviews, not many are going to care.

And I'd only be using it for the PS5 - all PC stuff is via a decent external DAC.

More the line-out quality. I'm not a fan of "TV" speakers in general, too tinny and/or mid-heavy. I've got a pair of studio monitors for music production work, just wondering what sort of output quality the FV43U has in that regard if I were to hook those up. I get that it's not something touched on in monitor reviews, not many are going to care.

And I'd only be using it for the PS5 - all PC stuff is via a decent external DAC.
at the moment I'm running a set of Microlab 5C's via 3.5mm to rca and it sounds good, you have to bump the volume up on the screen itself and then adjust the speakers from there - i'm going to be changing to a soundbar style setup soon (ordered a set of Sound BlasterX Katana's) and will be running that via the optical connection, so can report back on how that goes if its useful to you... the monitor has an audio option called 600R which i'd never seen on anything before but the manual description is "For high impedance device (>600 ohm), turn on this option to have better sound quality." - I turned it on and certainly noticed a difference with my 5C's

I think rather than using the built in DAC, you're better off using the optical out to a DAC of your choice.

Fair point. I'll have a dig through the cable spares and see if there's a TOSLINK hanging around.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: Senn
like this
using the one that came with the monitor at the moment, safe to assume its HDMI 2.1? I'll also try the one that comes with the series X and ps5 when I get a chance, just in case

I did notice/hear something rattle in the chassis when I unboxed it, no idea what that was and it doesn't do it now after moving it a couple of times, lol - will do some more testing and see how it goes - would be a shame to return it and end up with one with dead pixels as it seems to be said enough times that it could happen

can someone confirm that this is the style of optical cable I'd need if I wanted to go that route with external speakers? https://www.amazon.com.au/StarTech-com-THINTOSMIN10-Toslink-Miniplug-Digital/dp/B00016W75O/ Gigabyte really give very little info on this side of things
Yes, I'm using a cable like that going to my DAC.

I'm having very slight audio cut-outs though. Audio will cut out for a split second randomly. It can happen anywhere from twice in 5 minutes, and sometimes I won't hear it for over 30 minutes. This only happens when the source is HDMI (my Xbox Series X, and my 2019 nVidia shield). I've tried different optical cables with the same results. This does NOT happen with my PC using DisplayPort.

Google search results in this happening on many TV's optical out and when the source is HDMI. I'm learning to live with it. I gave up with Gigabyte support.

Since some users claim they have no noticable DSE, I was curious. I decided to order a 3rd one. Maybe I just had bad luck with the panels. This time I ordered from Amazon. Lets compare them with the one I decided to keep. I used standard settings, same for both monitors.
The first picture is the monitor I decided to keep.

But here is my problem, I can calibrate SDR with my spyderX but does someone know how I can calibrate HDR?

20210826_023442.jpg

20210826_023828.jpg

Last edited:
Enable HDR & enable adaptive sync also set overdrive to Balance mode.

In OSD find HDR game & press --> right, a new submenu will pop open with brightness & contrast.

In the sidekick app there are a few more gamma & digital vibrance & black enhance or light enhance etc.

Play with all the settings in the monitors OSD & the Sidekick apps menus & sliders.

Also you can update the firmware if you wish, [don't blame me if u brick your monitor lol] I have & most everyone else in this thread has also with success to the latest F04 beta firmware.

Since some users claim they have no noticable DSE, I was curious. I decided to order a 3rd one. Maybe I just had bad luck with the panels. This time I ordered from Amazon. Lets compare them with the one I decided to keep. I used standard settings, same for both monitors.
The first picture is the monitor I decided to keep.

But here is my problem, I can calibrate SDR with my spyderX but does someone know how I can calibrate HDR?
They all have bad DSE. People are just fortunately blind enough not to notice.

Fun fact: Adaptive Sync in the OSD = Freesync in Sidekick app.

I thought they were separate different features, they are actually the same feature with different names lol

Last edited:
Speaking of that, it appears that if you have Adaptive Sync enabled you lose most of the scaling options in Gaming -> Display Mode. They grey out. Disabling Adaptive Sync brings them back.

It's very obvious that in order to make them this size, the FV43U and its older 43" brethren are big piles of compromise, where many other aspects aren't as good as smaller alternatives in exchange for being large and 4K. If it's so hard for manufacturers to make panels that big and to drive all those pixels over those long distances, then why is it that we, for 16:9, have to choose between either QHD or 4K, which is a MASSIVE jump and performance hit and accordingly have to choose between a measily 32" or a massive 43" that we struggle to sit far enough away from, hmm? o_O :banghead: Why don't they make an inbetweener resolution panel with an inbetweener size to match? Because it wouldn't be a "standard resolution"? UW isn't either. Make it a new standard then.

You'd have more practical viewing distance, better uniformity, better response times (4k means slower and larger also means slower: universal LCD truth), better fps, none of those weird issues with rows bleeding into the next one below, no BGR, faster resolution mode switching, it could be a lot better if it was just a more sane size and resolution.

32" feels a little small while 43" is overkill.
And while I'm at it, 16:9 feels a little cramped in-game while 21:9 is overkill.
So I want an inbetweener size, with an inbetweener resolution and an inbetweener aspect ratio!

Something like: 37.5", 3600 x 1800 = 2:1 a.k.a. 18:9, slightly closer to 16:9 than 21:9. And it's 107 px/inch compared to the FV43U's 103.7 px/in 'cause you could sit a little closer.
It's 6.5 MegaPixels to push in-game compared to 4K's 8.3MP, so wayyy more fps. It's 5.5% more pixels than a 3840x1600 37.5" UW without being that crazy wide. (37.5 UW is 12:5 = 21.6:9)
Still plenty of desktop real estate, more practical viewing distance, faster and higher image quality panel. One as a mildly curved VA and one sung in IPS flat, please.

'Agree?

Last edited:
like this
I agree an in between size would be a nice option for those who would want it. I actually wanted a 40" but 43" is close enough so I am more than happy. As far as refresh rate & response time of the FV43U which is the topic of this thread. I believe it is sitting in the exact sweet spot where it needs to be speed wise. 144hz is about 7ms frame time so you need a black to black response time of more or less right around 7ms to make sure you don’t get any motion blur, ghosting, or smearing, or overshoot. I don't need it to be any faster or slower because the speed of the display is basically exactly where it needs to be when you break down the numbers. I can honestly say that I have zero complaints about the FV43U. Not a single complaint. None. I am the happiest camper on this side of town & i would buy the same monitor again if I had the chance.

I don't have a detailed test chart handy from a review, but there is no way in hell its slowest rise from black is 7ms. That would be less than half the 32" VA world record set by the G7. (assuming balanced OD set on both)
Edit:
2004515846.png

For comparison's sake:
asus.png

The average is very quick indeed for a large VA. That said, the slowest one-way transition, 0-20%, is 13.2ms (which would obviously not keep up at 1000/13.2=77Hz and above) and to achieve that it has what I think is noticeable overshoot in the 0-50/80 and 20-50/80 range.
The reality is: "blur, ghosting, or smearing, or overshoot" - blur is inherent to every sample & hold panel, and you're getting all three of those other ones too whether you want to see them and know how to find them or not.
I don't know if Satisfactory still has fluctuating sunlight intensity hitting everything but unless they patched it out that's where you'll see flickering palm tree leaves due to overshoot on any VA panel, at least the 2 I tested. Doesn't occur on my IPS panel.
I also tested map scrolling over cobblestone and across stone walls in Original Sin, it was quite crap on both VAs because the dark outlines of the stones would either cause a dark smear posterize effect or highlight them with overshoot.
The FV43U is quick but it is still not a TN. I absolutely notice the pixel response limitations and perceived sample & hold motion blur of my IPS panel and wish it was faster. And I wish I could enable strobing without losing so much brightness.
All LCDs are blurry as hell when anything moves. VAs just do it worse because everything has dark tones, and they exagerrate every flicker of light 'cause if they didn't they would be even more too slow in dark transitions.

I also hope you're getting at least 100 fps and therefore Hz in g-sync because the inputlag at 60 is atrocious according to that review I posted here earlier. Not easy to do stay well above 60 at 4k.
I have an entire page of epic flaws of this monitor listed that I'd be happy to share if half of it wasn't not in english... it's one of the worst monitors I've ever researched, which is why I didn't buy it. It's merely big and bright, that's it!
It's called the honeymoon phase. Going around spreading praise in the form of an emotionally driven purchase justification crusade - which is clearly the reason you're here, is all fine and well but it's misleading to others who should buy something better unless they NEED 43".
I would be happy shortening the panel's diagonal by a full third, cutting off all 4 edges turning it into a 28.5" just to get rid of the godawful lack of homogeneity and that's me just getting started.

Last edited:
like this
Feels just as good as my 165hz Predator Z1. I love it. No complaints. Having a blast playing my huge library of games including fast paced FPS shooters. Highly recommend this monitor for gaming & would buy it again lol.

I can honestly say that I have zero complaints about the FV43U. Not a single complaint. None. I am the happiest camper on this side of town & i would buy the same monitor again if I had the chance.
Well I can honestly say that I'm nowhere near that and I'm simply holding onto mine because there's nothing better for the price and the positive outweigh the negatives. The flaws are annoying and I'll be looking at replacing it if and when something significantly less flawed can take its place as my primary monitor.

Not to say I don't enjoy it but when my Dell from 2007 has better pixel level accuracy I can't say I'm the happiest camper.

I don't have a detailed test chart handy from a review, but there is no way in hell its slowest rise from black is 7ms. That would be less than half the 32" VA world record set by the G7. (assuming balanced OD set on both)
Edit:

The average is very quick indeed for a large VA. That said, the slowest one-way transition, 0-20%, is 13.2ms (which would obviously not keep up at 1000/13.2=77Hz and above) and to achieve that it has what I think is noticeable overshoot in the 0-50/80 and 20-50/80 range.
The reality is: "blur, ghosting, or smearing, or overshoot" - blur is inherent to every sample & hold panel, and you're getting all three of those other ones too whether you want to see them and know how to find them or not.
I don't know if Satisfactory still has fluctuating sunlight intensity hitting everything but unless they patched it out that's where you'll see flickering palm tree leaves due to overshoot on any VA panel, at least the 2 I tested. Doesn't occur on my IPS panel.
I also tested map scrolling over cobblestone and across stone walls in Original Sin, it was quite crap on both VAs because the dark outlines of the stones would either cause a dark smear posterize effect or highlight them with overshoot.
The FV43U is quick but it is still not a TN. I absolutely notice the pixel response limitations and perceived sample & hold motion blur of my IPS panel and wish it was faster. And I wish I could enable strobing without losing so much brightness.
All LCDs are blurry as hell when anything moves. VAs just do it worse because everything has dark tones, and they exagerrate every flicker of light 'cause if they didn't they would be even more too slow in dark transitions.

I also hope you're getting at least 100 fps and therefore Hz in g-sync because the inputlag at 60 is atrocious according to that review I posted here earlier. Not easy to do stay well above 60 at 4k.
I have an entire page of epic flaws of this monitor listed that I'd be happy to share if half of it wasn't not in english... it's one of the worst monitors I've ever researched, which is why I didn't buy it. It's merely big and bright, that's it!
It's called the honeymoon phase. Going around spreading praise in the form of an emotionally driven purchase justification crusade - which is clearly the reason you're here, is all fine and well but it's misleading to others who should buy something better unless they NEED 43".
I would be happy shortening the panel's diagonal by a full third, cutting off all 4 edges turning it into a 28.5" just to get rid of the godawful lack of homogeneity and that's me just getting started.

If you're having a honeymoon with your monitor. You need help! Spending $1000 on a monitor is nothing (my first 20" LCD monitor in 1600x1200 costed me $2000). I'll switch if something better comes out tomorrow. The fact is that if you want a monitor in this size (and not all of us use it for games only). This is the only game in town and I would live with this a lot easier than that other technology.

Spending $1000 on a monitor is nothing (my first 20" LCD monitor in 1600x1200 costed me $2000).
Not the first time I've seen you boast about your financial status. Not everyone can call spending $1000 on a single not-exactly-necessary-for-living tech product "nothing". It's a monitor and it's a lot of money for many people given the usual monitors people buy.

I still don't regret avoiding the FO48U though so I'll agree with the rest.

Not the first time I've seen you boast about your financial status. Not everyone can call spending $1000 on a single not-exactly-necessary-for-living tech product "nothing". It's a monitor and it's a lot of money for many people given the usual monitors people buy.

I still don't regret avoiding the FO48U though so I'll agree with the rest.

Not boosting but the fact is that high tech stuff have gotten so much cheaper in the last 20 years that $1000 monitor really is nothing after adjusting for inflation. I mean, a $2300 20" CRT in 1995 dollars would cost $3600 today. I would also say that a 43" 4K HDR monitor is not a necessity and rather a luxury. Most people certainly don't need one so if you are stretching you resource to buy one. Then maybe you should have 2nd thought.

Not boosting but the fact is that high tech stuff have gotten so much cheaper in the last 20 years that $1000 monitor really is nothing after adjusting for inflation. I mean, a $2300 20" CRT in 1995 dollars would cost $3600 today. I would also say that a 43" 4K HDR monitor is not a necessity and rather a luxury. Most people certainly don't need one so if you are stretching you resource to buy one. Then maybe you should have 2nd thought.
It's relative. Someone could be in the position for spend $1k on a luxury as long as it's something that works well and they can expect to get a reasonable amount of life from. Doesn't mean they'd be willing to spend another $1k if something better came out next month. And I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a $1k monitor (which outside of professional displays is fairly high end in the current market) to not have many issues.

I'm pretty comfortable financially, but certainly still expect some level of quality control when I'm paying hard earned money on what's billed as a high-end device. And I certainly understand the frustration with monitors being available today just not being *that* much better than what you could get 15-20 years ago. Hell, in some ways I still feel my old NEC 20WMGX2 is better than some modern monitors.

like this
Most people certainly don't need one so if you are stretching you resource to buy one. Then maybe you should have 2nd thought.
As I probably said somewhere else in the thread (can't remember for sure) I got mine on a good deal because of the work I do. It IS still beneficial for work over the previous smaller screen and has universally better specs so I've held onto it despite the glaring flaws that I'd want an eventual replacement to get rid of.

At MSRP this is far from a cheap monitor and I would never ever describe it as "nothing" no matter what inflation has done or the fact ridiculously expensive CRTs were once a thing.

BUT

If a better 43" monitor came out tomorrow that didn't have the flaws that bug me I'd jump on it and probably relegate the FV to the music studio.

And no matter what I got the FV43U for, I and everyone in this thread definitely has the right to call out its flaws while bringing up the fact it costs a good chunk of cash.

As I probably said somewhere else in the thread (can't remember for sure) I got mine on a good deal because of the work I do. It IS still beneficial for work over the previous smaller screen and has universally better specs so I've held onto it despite the glaring flaws that I'd want an eventual replacement to get rid of.

At MSRP this is far from a cheap monitor and I would never ever describe it as "nothing" no matter what inflation has done or the fact ridiculously expensive CRTs were once a thing.

BUT

If a better 43" monitor came out tomorrow that didn't have the flaws that bug me I'd jump on it and probably relegate the FV to the music studio.

And no matter what I got the FV43U for, I and everyone in this thread definitely has the right to call out its flaws while bringing up the fact it costs a good chunk of cash.

Oh, I freely admits that there are flaws in all LCDs. It's what we're willing to live with that matters. I'm willing to live with a lot of the flaws that I don't notice most of the time but obsessing over flaws will get you nowhere. If you can't live with it, return it. venting on a forum is pretty much useless even if you post on a manufacturer's site.

hello in the round ;)

I ordered the FV43U monitor, but what about the connections, they all have lossy DSC compression, over 60Hz.
How do I connect an RTX 2080 : via DP 1.4 or HDMI 2.0b (RTX2080 output) to HDMI 2.1 or USB-C ...
To get the best picture for photo, video editing - or games with approx. 120Hz?
HDMI 2.1 may not work if my graphics card only delivers 2.0b :(

(Lossy compression means that the picture gets worse. So a perfect picture, I can probably only be achieved with 60Hz...)

Last edited:
hello in the round ;)

I ordered the FV43U monitor, but what about the connections, they all have lossy DSC compression, over 60Hz.
How do I connect an RTX 2080 : via DP 1.4 or HDMI 2.0b (RTX2080 output) to HDMI 2.1 or USB-C ...

(Lossy compression means that the picture gets worse. So a perfect picture, I can probably only be achieved with 60Hz...)

Have you used a DSC connection before? If not I would not worry about it. I honestly do not see any difference on picture quality on my 3080 between DP 1.4 @144 , DP 1.4@120 and HDMI 2.1 @120.

If you can't live with it, return it. venting on a forum is pretty much useless even if you post on a manufacturer's site.
If it gives other current and potential users of this thing the real performance levels and issues then I'd say every vent is worth it, especially if the issue is universal.

I for one wish I had known a lot more about the FV43U before purchasing - I would have waited a little more.

hello in the round ;)

I don't believe the display port 1.4 connection has any perceivable loss or lossy compression. At least not to my eyes. I would just go displayport 1.4 with dsc @ 144hz and not worry about a thing, which is what I did.

Oh, I freely admits that there are flaws in all LCDs. It's what we're willing to live with that matters. I'm willing to live with a lot of the flaws that I don't notice most of the time but obsessing over flaws will get you nowhere. If you can't live with it, return it. venting on a forum is pretty much useless even if you post on a manufacturer's site.

I agree with this. Senn If you have made your point that's great. Venting about it over & over doesn't do any good for anyone. I am glad you mentioned the things you noticed about the monitor, but once was enough for me to check & realize that it doesn't bother me at all. If others read the thread & realize they don't like It's cons more than the pros that's great, it helped someone decide. But I also agree like you say that this monitors pros outweigh It's cons, & by a landslide for me. In fact the cons are negligible to me not even enough for me to call anything a con. If It really was something you dislike so much you could have returned within the return period and either save your money for the next best thing or bought something else "good enough" although I think you might fit into the category where nothing is "good enough" instead keeping it & expressing how much you dislike the cons of it over & over mainly emphasizing the cons not really praising It's pros. I don't think a long explanation of what is "good enough" is necessary either, when it comes along get it and report the pros & cons on forums. At least you are not like some of these old members that make new accounts just to come and spam how much they dislike LCD's and copy & paste pages of others documentation to prove moot points everyone knows because simple googling reveals all reviews available to everyone with an internet connection, points that are driven by ulterior just beating obvious post spam to death about hatred of this panel tech or that panel tech and wishing for a different technology etc which would be better suited for a new thread altogether but instead gets flooded into this thread because it is a hot thread for a one of a kind monitor.

Venting about it over & over doesn't do any good for anyone.
I'll accept that if you also concede that trying to say it's perfect and amazing and the best thing since sliced tiger bread over and over is equally as annoying.

Reactions: Roen
like this
Back