GIGABYTE AORUS FV43U 43 inch 4k 144 HDR1000 QLED monitor

Hey all, I'm very close to buying one of these but I'm also tempted to hold off for something better and wanted opinions... I unfortunately can't fit bigger than a 43" in the space I'm looking to put this (which is 1000cm wide exactly so the 48" LG is out of the running sadly) and I'll be mainly using this with consoles (SX, PS5 and older systems) - yes this is probably a waste but I will also have my gaming PC hooked up to it at some point, but mainly it'll be for console gaming at the moment.

Right now (at least in Australia) the options for a 43" are extremely limited if you want HDMI 2.1 features. The only TV available is the Sony X85J and it doesn't have VRR yet (coming in firmware apparently) and is also edgelit so it would seem the FV43U is the superior option at the moment? The FV43U is more expensive, but it seems like it'd be worth it? It's either that or I wait for the 42" LG OLED that I keep seeing people mention but who knows how much or even when that will come out. Has anyone tried lower res content on this screen? Is it acceptable or should I be looking at a TV that might handle scaling better (is that still an advantage with TV's? it was years ago)? I really don't need the TV functionality, which is another reason I've opened up my options to this.

Anyway, appreciate any feedback, cheers!

If you have patience to hold off you could, not sure what you are holding off for? Going back & reading through this thread will reveal a lot of opinions you might be interested in knowing. I am same as you 43" is the largest I would be comfortable with. If you are interested in LG I suggest you go read the LGCX thread thoroughly as no panel is perfect, they all have their pros & cons. For console gaming or PC gaming the FV43U is fantastic even more so on PC because you can achieve 144hz with HDR with Gsync all at the same time. Yes you are correct the options for a 43" monitor are limited, in fact this is actually the one & only panel that can do the said things I mentioned simultaneously. I would not advise you to get a monitor or tv that doesn't support VRR, that is a big deal. You don't need to wait for the LG 42" because Aorus has It's own OLED if you really want it. I will not get into discussing it but there is a thread on here talking all about it you can look into and read up and see all the pros & cons for yourself. Yes I have ran lower resolutions like 1440p & 1080p on the Aorus FV43U & it handles them just fine. Personally I wouldn't advise looking into TV's for a PC monitor but that is my own opinion everyone has their own. For console gaming the TV's are better but again TV's have their own pros & cons you need to do a lot of research so you don't make an uninformed decision. You say you don't need the TV functionality, I didn't either so that's why I went with the FV43U.

I tried my best to answer all of your questions. This thread is about the Aorus FV43U. You can find a lot of information about it or ask about it here. For any of the other monitors or TVs I would suggest using the search function & the respective threads will populate & you can read tons of pages upon pages about other products to fully understand everything about them good & bad. Hope this helps.

Damn! Damn! Got hit with the firmware update bug. Never bothered to do it while it was in the office as I spend so little time there and I'm usually busy when I'm there. Well, I'll start unplugging things tomorrow as although I'm using DP on my GPU, I also have an HDMI cable to my receiver for audio passthrough and then from receiver back to HDMI input 2 for nVidia shield pro and 4K Blu-ray player so that may be confusing it, probably going to pull the HDMI from the GPU and Will also try connecting the USB directly to the PC instead of going through a hub but it's a bit late to get under the desk so it'll have to wait till tomorrow.

Last edited:
If you have patience to hold off you could, not sure what you are holding off for? Going back & reading through this thread will reveal a lot of opinions you might be interested in knowing. I am same as you 43" is the largest I would be comfortable with. If you are interested in LG I suggest you go read the LGCX thread thoroughly as no panel is perfect, they all have their pros & cons. For console gaming or PC gaming the FV43U is fantastic even more so on PC because you can achieve 144hz with HDR with Gsync all at the same time. Yes you are correct the options for a 43" monitor are limited, in fact this is actually the one & only panel that can do the said things I mentioned simultaneously. I would not advise you to get a monitor or tv that doesn't support VRR, that is a big deal. You don't need to wait for the LG 42" because Aorus has It's own OLED if you really want it. I will not get into discussing it but there is a thread on here talking all about it you can look into and read up and see all the pros & cons for yourself. Yes I have ran lower resolutions like 1440p & 1080p on the Aorus FV43U & it handles them just fine. Personally I wouldn't advise looking into TV's for a PC monitor but that is my own opinion everyone has their own. For console gaming the TV's are better but again TV's have their own pros & cons you need to do a lot of research so you don't make an uninformed decision. You say you don't need the TV functionality, I didn't either so that's why I went with the FV43U.

I tried my best to answer all of your questions. This thread is about the Aorus FV43U. You can find a lot of information about it or ask about it here. For any of the other monitors or TVs I would suggest using the search function & the respective threads will populate & you can read tons of pages upon pages about other products to fully understand everything about them good & bad. Hope this helps.
thanks for the reply, appreciate it... posting my question in here was to help me try to make a decision based on people that are hopefully using this display, i'm pretty well convinced on it but i am concerned about lower res content - that said it will mainly be newer systems and my PC use on it will be limited to gaming anyway so it really seems like a good fit... will do some more browsing of the forums, 23 pages is a lot to get through so hopefully i can narrow it down via search, haha

thanks for the reply, appreciate it... posting my question in here was to help me try to make a decision based on people that are hopefully using this display, i'm pretty well convinced on it but i am concerned about lower res content - that said it will mainly be newer systems and my PC use on it will be limited to gaming anyway so it really seems like a good fit... will do some more browsing of the forums, 23 pages is a lot to get through so hopefully i can narrow it down via search, haha
What are you using now and what kind of games you usually play? That would let us give you an idea of what kind of improvement you can expect and what you can't.

Damn! Damn! Got hit with the firmware update bug. Never bothered to do it while it was in the office as I spend so little time there and I'm usually busy when I'm there. Well, I'll start unplugging things tomorrow as although I'm using DP on my GPU, I also have an HDMI cable to my receiver for audio passthrough and then from receiver back to HDMI input 2 for nVidia shield pro and 4K Blu-ray player so that may be confusing it, probably going to pull the HDMI from the GPU and Will also try connecting the USB directly to the PC instead of going through a hub but it's a bit late to get under the desk so it'll have to wait till tomorrow.

lol keep in mind the usb to pc cable to the monitor is rather short in length something that could be overlooked depending on the setup. Also the update takes about a total of 10 mins so if it hangs up or slows down don't worry let it do It's thing. After It will say version F04.

What are you using now and what kind of games you usually play? That would let us give you an idea of what kind of improvement you can expect and what you can't.

my use case for this screen is probably a bit off from what most around here would be using it for... its mainly going to be used for my PS5 and Series X and playing a wide range of things... Action RPG's, JRPG's, Racing, Shmups, FPS (rarely these days)... a bit of everything in a way... this will be going into my "game room" that currently has an old 40" sony in it, its in a custom made cabinet (hence the limited width requirement) with a bunch of retro and modern consoles... I currently have my PS5 and XSX and gaming PC (running a 3080) connected to a 75" Sony x90e in my lounge... for some reason I want to move all those (can't move the PC yet for reasons) in to my game room and use a downsized display for everything, haha - so it'll be no doubt underutilised running mainly consoles and I'm coming from a pretty damn awesome TV if i do say so myself, so I'm trying not to downgrade in anything but size (and even then if I could fit bigger I would)... so many good reviews around for this display that I feel I won't be dissapointed... last proper monitor I used on my gaming PC (back when i had a 1080ti) was an Acer X34 ultrawide which I still have but its purely used for work these days (yet another waste of an awesome screen)... so yeah... there you go... probably should have just made myself a thread... haha....

Lol I did the exact opposite of you. Returned the C1 & ordered the FV43U. Only difference for me there is a possibility I will not be happy enough with either of them & end up returning both. If that is the case I will just wait for "the next best thing" in the future.
Get the Neo G9 ;)

Has anyone tried lower res content on this screen?
You have the option to view lower resolutions at 1:1 meaning you'll get an unscaled image in the centre of the screen (or bottom of you prefer).

I seriously wish monitors would just nearest neighbour scale when showing lower res content instead of the blurry mess we always get but this is a fair compromise for PC use.

You have the option to view lower resolutions at 1:1 meaning you'll get an unscaled image in the centre of the screen (or bottom of you prefer).

I seriously wish monitors would just nearest neighbour scale when showing lower res content instead of the blurry mess we always get but this is a fair compromise for PC use.
see that is one thing that concerns me and I think TV's might do a better job of? maybe I'm wrong there but i seem to recall TV's doing better scaling than monitors

Hey all, I'm very close to buying one of these but I'm also tempted to hold off for something better and wanted opinions... I unfortunately can't fit bigger than a 43" in the space I'm looking to put this (which is 1000cm wide exactly so the 48" LG is out of the running sadly) and I'll be mainly using this with consoles (SX, PS5 and older systems) - yes this is probably a waste but I will also have my gaming PC hooked up to it at some point, but mainly it'll be for console gaming at the moment.

Right now (at least in Australia) the options for a 43" are extremely limited if you want HDMI 2.1 features. The only TV available is the Sony X85J and it doesn't have VRR yet (coming in firmware apparently) and is also edgelit so it would seem the FV43U is the superior option at the moment? The FV43U is more expensive, but it seems like it'd be worth it? It's either that or I wait for the 42" LG OLED that I keep seeing people mention but who knows how much or even when that will come out. Has anyone tried lower res content on this screen? Is it acceptable or should I be looking at a TV that might handle scaling better (is that still an advantage with TV's? it was years ago)? I really don't need the TV functionality, which is another reason I've opened up my options to this.

Anyway, appreciate any feedback, cheers!
If you need a display now, buy from the existing options. If you are not in a hurry you could wait at least until next year's summer in case that 42" OLED TV/monitor materializes. We should know by around CES 2022 at the start of next year if that is an actual thing or just a rumor but if they do plan to release such a device, it would take at the earliest until next summer to be available for purchase.

The pickings are slim for anything good in the 43" size so for now the FV43U is probably the best option in that category.

If at all possible I would try to shape your surroundings to fit the LG CX or C1 48" instead. I am super happy with the C9 and CX as gaming displays no matter if I am playing on the Switch, PS5 or PC. To me it's the combination of real 1ms response times, per pixel level dimming for HDR, HDMI 2.1 etc that make it the best overall package as a gaming display. One caveat of OLEDs is that 30 fps console games can be an issue though as it will show up as some judder. It's not a deal breaker but a bit annoying. LCDs with their slower pixel response times tend to smooth low framerate motion out a bit. Might be worth considering if you plan to play e.g PS3-PS4 era games that regularly run at 30 fps.

see that is one thing that concerns me and I think TV's might do a better job of? maybe I'm wrong there but i seem to recall TV's doing better scaling than monitors
To be fair there's probably little noticable difference between the way the FV43U and your average TV scales. Sitting a sensible distance from the screen for console gaming you're probably going to be too busy playing the game to nitpick. I'm not a fan of filtered upscaling but that's how it is on every single device, monitor or TV. That nearest neighbour scaling I'd want doesn't exist.

And honestly I'm only being picky in terms of PC use, a situation where the 1:1 option comes in. For console gaming the FV43U will still scale and display all lower res content just fine.

If you need a display now, buy from the existing options. If you are not in a hurry you could wait at least until next year's summer in case that 42" OLED TV/monitor materializes. We should know by around CES 2022 at the start of next year if that is an actual thing or just a rumor but if they do plan to release such a device, it would take at the earliest until next summer to be available for purchase.

The pickings are slim for anything good in the 43" size so for now the FV43U is probably the best option in that category.

If at all possible I would try to shape your surroundings to fit the LG CX or C1 48" instead. I am super happy with the C9 and CX as gaming displays no matter if I am playing on the Switch, PS5 or PC. To me it's the combination of real 1ms response times, per pixel level dimming for HDR, HDMI 2.1 etc that make it the best overall package as a gaming display. One caveat of OLEDs is that 30 fps console games can be an issue though as it will show up as some judder. It's not a deal breaker but a bit annoying. LCDs with their slower pixel response times tend to smooth low framerate motion out a bit. Might be worth considering if you plan to play e.g PS3-PS4 era games that regularly run at 30 fps.

Is there another thread we can point people to rather than talk about LG TVs in this thread? Like pros & cons of LCD & pros & cons of OLED thread? Because this flood of LG TV owners smeared across all threads of all forums it makes things messy & misleading.

lol keep in mind the usb to pc cable to the monitor is rather short in length something that could be overlooked depending on the setup. Also the update takes about a total of 10 mins so if it hangs up or slows down don't worry let it do It's thing. After It will say version F04.

I actually got a failure to update message so I'll work on it this afternoon when I get back home. Worse thing I'll just grab my laptop and go direct HDMI and USB and see.

I actually got a failure to update message so I'll work on it this afternoon when I get back home. Worse thing I'll just grab my laptop and go direct HDMI and USB and see.
Did you have the correct F04 bios for the FV43U? I extracted it even though I don't think I needed to. I had the actual single file just by itself, then hit "browse" & pointed directly to the file. Then it took 10 mins long & even looked like it was gonna hang up at the end but it pulled through fine. Double check & try again with better luck this time!

Last edited:
Reactions: Wiz33
like this
my use case for this screen is probably a bit off from what most around here would be using it for... its mainly going to be used for my PS5 and Series X and playing a wide range of things... Action RPG's, JRPG's, Racing, Shmups, FPS (rarely these days)... a bit of everything in a way... this will be going into my "game room" that currently has an old 40" sony in it, its in a custom made cabinet (hence the limited width requirement) with a bunch of retro and modern consoles... I currently have my PS5 and XSX and gaming PC (running a 3080) connected to a 75" Sony x90e in my lounge... for some reason I want to move all those (can't move the PC yet for reasons) in to my game room and use a downsized display for everything, haha - so it'll be no doubt underutilised running mainly consoles and I'm coming from a pretty damn awesome TV if i do say so myself, so I'm trying not to downgrade in anything but size (and even then if I could fit bigger I would)... so many good reviews around for this display that I feel I won't be dissapointed... last proper monitor I used on my gaming PC (back when i had a 1080ti) was an Acer X34 ultrawide which I still have but its purely used for work these days (yet another waste of an awesome screen)... so yeah... there you go... probably should have just made myself a thread... haha....

You play about the same types of games I do. I looked up the specs of your 75" Sony on Rtings and it looks very similar to the FV43U with the FV able to get slighter brighter but the native contrast is very close. If you like what you see on the Sony, you should be happy with the FV. As to scaling. Good 4K TV may have a better scaling engine but I have not really been distracted when watch 1080p contents on the FV, not as good as my Q90T but works well for the size. have to go to office this morning (and now my FV is at home after the move yesterday) but I manage to take a few non-paused shots of the Endwalker trailer at 1080p so you can check that against what you see on your Sony. I can take some paused shot later or in game 1080p shot for you later if you want. This is done in HDR Game mode with default settings.

IMG_E9500.JPG

IMG_E9502.JPG

IMG_E9505.JPG

IMG_E9511.JPG

IMG_E9515.JPG

Did you have the correct F04 bios for the rhe FV43U? I extracted it even rhough I don't think I needed to. I had the actual single file just by itself, then hit "browse" & pointed directly to the file. Then it took 10 mins long & even looked like it was gonna hang up at the end but it pulled through fine. Double check & try again with better luck this time!

Yep, it went through the many minutes with a progress bar but got a failure message at the end. Will try again this afternoon.

Interestingly I used my laptop with Windows 7 on it to upgrade the firmware from F01 to F04. I use Linux on the desktop so it was my only option. OSD Sidekick works just fine on 7 despite the claim that it needs 10. Had the monitor plugged into the laptop via HDMI and the USB for firmware transfer and it worked fine first time, as do all the control features of OSD Sidekick itself. It did take roughly 10 minutes to flash like some say and at times seemingly not doing anything but it got there in the end and now reports F04.

You play about the same types of games I do. I looked up the specs of your 75" Sony on Rtings and it looks very similar to the FV43U with the FV able to get slighter brighter but the native contrast is very close. If you like what you see on the Sony, you should be happy with the FV. As to scaling. Good 4K TV may have a better scaling engine but I have not really been distracted when watch 1080p contents on the FV, not as good as my Q90T but works well for the size. have to go to office this morning (and now my FV is at home after the move yesterday) but I manage to take a few non-paused shots of the Endwalker trailer at 1080p so you can check that against what you see on your Sony. I can take some paused shot later or in game 1080p shot for you later if you want. This is done in HDR Game mode with default settings.

wow thanks for thank, even for pictures that looks pretty awesome! I imagine it looks better in person for sure. Really right now its down to this or the X85J of the same size, this is more expensive but something tells me its the better buy for my use case

unfortunately the 48" just won't fit, it is 1071cm and my custom made unit is 1000cm and I spent too much money on it all to go changing it for a display... thanks for the feedback though :)

wow thanks for thank, even for pictures that looks pretty awesome! I imagine it looks better in person for sure. Really right now its down to this or the X85J of the same size, this is more expensive but something tells me its the better buy for my use case

I personally think that the FV is definitely worth the ~$250 extra for the much better HDR performance, the lower input lag and having VRR but it's up to you to decide.

I personally think that the FV is definitely worth the ~$250 extra for the much better HDR performance, the lower input lag and having VRR but it's up to you to decide.

definitely leaning that way... some great sales started today for the sony, but from what I've seen and read I feel like I'll be pretty happy with the FV

UPDATE: ordered the FV :) looking forward to checking it out

Last edited:
Reactions: Wiz33
like this
Update: Received monitor. It's awesome. Here are my thoughts/experiences:

Pros

- Big, beautiful, vibrant. The most immersive gaming experience I've had outside of VR.
- Upgraded to the new firmware using sidekick w/o problems (used the USB B "printer" cable while connected with the displayport). Checked out the HDR settings a few pages back in this thread and as a baseline that has worked well (may tinker here and there).
- Range of settings is very nice and allows for a lot of customization
- Color reproduction is very good and as an all-in-one for my use cases (productivity, gaming, video editing), this is so far a great monitor.

Cons

- Found 3 dead pixels, but they're along the side and not super noticeable so i'll have to figure out if playing the panel lottery is worth it. from my experience, it's less about finding the perfect panel and more about what faults you can accept :).
- As several reviewers have stated, uniformity is probably its weakest area. There is a quite noticeable band of non-uniform coloration if I go to pure white on the screen, but it's localized to the bottom of the screen and outside of that test-case, I can't really see it. It won't interfere with any of my productivity/editing purposes, but it's there. And of course the edges suffer from both uniformity problems AND viewing angle issues. Was expecting this and not too concerned about it.

The whatever:
- The onboard speakers are pretty decent, although still very noticeably inferior to my ancient Klipsch 2.1s. Not quite "speaker" replacements but passable if you didn't have room/funds for external speakers.

Anyway, very happy overall so far.

Last edited:
Update: Received monitor. It's awesome. Here are my thoughts/experiences:

Pros

- Big, beautiful, vibrant. The most immersive gaming experience I've had outside of VR.
- Upgraded to the new firmware using sidekick w/o problems (used the USB B "printer" cable while connected with the displayport). Checked out the HDR settings a few pages back in this thread and as a baseline that has worked well (may tinker here and there).
- Range of settings is very nice and allows for a lot of customization
- Color reproduction is very good and as an all-in-one for my use cases (productivity, gaming, video editing), this is so far a great monitor.

Cons

- Found 3 dead pixels, but they're along the side and not super noticeable so i'll have to figure out if playing the panel lottery is worth it. from my experience, it's less about finding the perfect panel and more about what faults you can accept :).
- As several reviewers have stated, uniformity is probably its weakest area. There is a quite noticeable band of non-uniform coloration if I go to pure white on the screen, but it's localized to the bottom of the screen and outside of that test-case, I can't really see it. It won't interfere with any of my productivity/editing purposes, but it's there. And of course the edges suffer from both uniformity problems AND viewing angle issues. Was expecting this and not too concerned about it.

The whatever:
- The onboard speakers are pretty decent, although still very noticeably inferior to my ancient Klipsch 2.1s. Not quite "speaker" replacements but passable if you didn't have room/funds for external speakers.

Anyway, very happy overall so far.

Congrats on your new monitor you seem as excited as I was/still am about this wonderful monitor.

As icing on your cake watch this video in 2160p HDR with all the settings adjusted

II notice nothing during any gaming or movies or HDR content. No uniformity, no banding, no judder, no ghosting, no smearing. The panel is an all around champ. Hope you like the video It really is a fantastic showcase of this awesome monitor can do :)

That nearest neighbour scaling I'd want doesn't exist.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Blasphemous/comments/d29cuc/nvidia_users_dont_forget_to_activate_this_gpu/

-Requires a Turing GPU (GeForce RTX 20 series/GeForce GTX 16 series) and Windows 10 April 2018 Update and above
-Integer Scaling is not supported in Surround mode, on tiled displays, with custom resolutions or when DSR is enabled
-Pixel formats supprted: RGB/YUV444/YUV422
-When the display has a different aspect ratio from the game, you will see black borders on the display.
-Integer Scaling is not supported In MSHybrid notebooks where the integrated graphics are managing the display properties
-Doesn't work for console plebs, normies or scrubs

With older drivers and older cards, before the ones that have Nvidia's integer scaling option, when I had 2560x1600 native I got integer scaling working anyway by creating a custom 1280x800 resolution. An existing 1280x800 resolution it "filter scaled", but any custom res that's 1/4th of native would actually integer scale even way back then. Works on Windows 7 too, and even with a GTX 970. If the drivers say you can't add the custom res because that res already exists, some messing about is required. I wish I could remember what I did exactly to get around that, probably something in the Timings section, or actually removing that standard res (1920x1080) first (registry). My monitor didn't have any scaler chip on board, because those didn't exist for that size/native res yet. It didn't even have an OSD. So I know for sure that everything that was being done scaling wise was by the GPU (970).

Last edited:
Reactions: Senn
like this
Hmm, interesting. I'd assume this works in software, running the OS at the lower res then sending it as native res to the monitor, bypassing bad scaling. Probably a Windows only thing (I'm a Linuxer) but I don't have a Turing or higher card to test it with, just a Maxwell. I've tried every resolution option in the latest Nvidia Linux driver and they all rely on the monitor to blurry upscale.

It seems to have been a long held assumption that everyone wants blurred images at lower resolutions. The old "big pixels look bad".

Well, it turned out to be true. After testing 1280x800 in-game I never used it again. Yes a blurry image looks bad but as it turns out, so does making every pixel a 2x2 block. With 1280x800 of those on a 30" panel way too much detail was lost. Go native, 1:1 or go outside. It might be ok for games that are intended to look pixelated.
Edit: that was 50.5 ppi. On a 43", 1080p is 51.2 ppi, so the result would be equally bad.

Last edited:
Go native, 1:1 or go outside.
I think I'd have to agree. My past desire to get integer upscaling working was based on the assumption that most things don't allow a 1:1 mode for arbitrary lower-than-native resolutions. The FV43U magically does, so problem solved. Not that I have any real need to run at anything less than 4k as things stand. Though given how close I have to sit it might come in handy for the Switch when docked.

I've never had a monitor that didn't allow 1:1 for lower than native resolutions, as long as the nv drivers were set to do scaling by GPU along with the "No scaling" option selected. When I need more fps, I tend run lower res 1:1 and move the monitor closer. Asus PG279QE currently.

Displays that insist on scaling everything up usually still will respect aspect ratio, so in that case you just have to make sure you max out one of the two dimensions. E.g. if you need more fps, given that for a "common" 3440x1440 ultrawide panel, the width-to-height ratio is 3440/1440 = 2.389, you take the max width of your current panel 3840 and divide by 2.389 = 1607 and use that as the height. In my case, 2560/2.389 = ~1072 so I have a custom 2560x1072 res. More fps and a wider FOV as a bonus. In games that support it, I sometimes will use an inbetweener res too: 2560x1200 so I give up less height. Never had a problem running narrower resolutions at 1:1 either though on this Asus or other monitors. My hand-me-down TV in the living room will aspect scale or stretch scale all the things depending on which of the two you choose. The only way to get unscaled on that is to max out one dimension.

If I had a 43", creating these custom resolutions:
3840x1607
3840x1600 (standard for 37.5" UW in case games don't support the former)
3440x1440
...would be one of the first things I'd be doing, even if I had a 3080. Metro Exodus dips below 60 at times, typically getting 73 even on my 2080 Super at 2560x1440, and to me 85+ is where a shooter starts to feel responsive.
4K would be reserved for old games.

Edit: I'd create 3840x1880 too, as the inbetweener if you need more fps than 4K but don't want to give up as much height. Weird aspect ratio that, so YMMV regarding game HUDs.
Edit #2:
I'm mucking around in Fusion 360 right now and the off-yellow of the corners and the weirdness of black-on-grey-on-white details is rampant
This + BGR + the dark/yellow corners as evident in Wiz33's real-world photos (thanks) + the very high inputlag measured by Tweakers in their review, at 60Hz and therefore likely also at other refresh rates below 120-144 is why I've decided to wait for a better option to come along. Apart from being small and no HDR, my current monitor is the perfect IPS monitor. No HDR means sRGB color space is the default so no need for an sRGB mode that locks other settings, or trying to approximate sRGB using a custom mode just to avoid overcooked colors, then having to switch back for HDR content. G-sync module inside as well for variable overdrive. It'll probably be a while before I find a worthy replacement.

Last edited:
These are my Nvidia Linux (at least the GUI) options for setting a lower resolution. As always it plays second fiddle to the Microsoft domination so there aren't as many things I can do with it outside of attempting some terminal command wizardry.
Screenshot_20210819_125030.png

There's a difference between the driver doing the scaling and leaving it up to the monitor and no screen I've personally had allowed me to do 1:1 for lower-than-native res incoming signals. Maybe some do, obviously this one does so it's a solved problem as of now.

Heh, I remember finding this exact post not too long ago. A classic xkcd example, too. :D

For me it seems to render a 1080p upper quarter of a 4k image, still full screen on the monitor. Very odd. Tried the ViewPortIn/ViewPortOut options there in the GUI too but they like to just reset themselves or do the same thing.

Reactions: Roen
like this
Update. Successfully updated the firmware on the second try. Didn't really changed anything other than did a reboot of the system and did the update and it went through.

Right off the bat, default HDR1000 mode looks different. Black level seems to looks better and it was already pretty great before but I notice that in default HDR Game mode, the Red of the Youtube logo is now a bit more Orange compared to HDR1000 and HDR Movie mode. Anyone seeing the same thing?

Now I need to go play with all the other modes and settings but I also want to finish Shadowbringers 5.5 and watch The new Evangelion now that all 4 are available on Amazon Prime 😀. At least I won't have to go to office the rest of the week.

Last edited:
Update. Successfully updated the firmware on the second try. Didn't really changed anything other than did a reboot of the system and did the update and it went through.

Right off the bat, default HDR1000 mode looks different. Black level seems to looks better and it was already pretty great before but I notice that in default HDR Game mode, the Red of the Youtube logo is now a bit more Orange compared to HDR1000 and HDR Movie mode. Anyone seeing the same thing?

Now I need to go play with all the other modes and settings but I also want to finish Shadowbringers 5.5 and watch The new Evangelion now that all 4 are available on Amazon Prime 😀. At least I won't have to go to office the rest of the week.
I'm sure you know but when you go to the game mode setting press right on the controller again & it will bring up the game mode sub menu where you can adjust a few more things. Or better yet for complete & total control of everything even more than the OSD use sidekick to fine tune every single option available then check monitors OSD to see if everything is lined up.

hi guys, i just wanted to give an update. Since I'm very sensitive to vertical banding/DSE effect I showed the monitor to my family. Noone could see it from the start. After I showed them the scanlines they stated that they are definitly there. But they would have never seen them, if I didnt show it. Now they are pissed because once you see them it's hard to unsee them :) So since no reviewer mentions the vertical bars (only one the user

YouOnlyLiveTwice28 on page 13 in this thread.) I decided to order (after a month/ from a different retailer) a second fv43u and compare them. Well, guess what happended? THE SECOND UNIT HAS THE SAME VERTICAL BANDING LINES I guess because how its build. It has less noticeable DSE but what pisses me off, it has a hair? dust? right in the middle behind the screen. So what have I learned from it? Don't look for a perfect screen, look for one which you can live with. I will keep the first one and send the other back. Because the dot in the middle of the screen is much more noticeable on white background (like youtube etc.) than a little worse DSE effect on camera movement​

Last edited:
I'm sure you know but when you go to the game mode setting press right on the controller again & it will bring up the game mode sub menu where you can adjust a few more things. Or better yet for complete & total control of everything even more than the OSD use sidekick to fine tune every single option available then check monitors OSD to see if everything is lined up.

Yea, thanks but I was just comparing the default setting just for start. I'll try out your settings later. Trying to sort out another problem now. With my CG437K, I was able to run DP to the CG, run HDMI to send digital audio to my receiver and then run another HDMI from receiver from receiver back to the CG's HDMI port. My problem now is the my PC now see them as a multi monitor setup but the receiver does not show up on windows sound or nVidia control panel under Set Up Digital Audio unless I unplugged the HDMI from the FV.

A couple questions about USB-C on this monitor:

1. My 2018 Macbook Pro can do 3840x2160 60hz over USB-C, but when I try to do 120hz the image gets distorted with green artifacts everywhere. Is this a limitation of the cable, my MBP (which has a discrete Radeon 555X GPU and theoretically supports DP 1.4 / TB 3), or of the FV43u?

2. After updating to the F04 Firmware, a new option showed up in the System Menu called "Type-C Capability". Toggling this doesn't seem to have any effect. Anyone know what this does?
Followup question to this. My Macbook is limited to 4K 60hz when connecting via USB-C. I know it can do 4K/120hz if I used a USB-C -> DisplayPort adapter, but my PC is already using the DisplayPort.

I figure my current limitation may be because my USB-C cable is only good for USB 3.1. Is it worth trying Thunderbolt 3 / USB4 cable to unlock 4k/120hz via USB-C, or is the USB-C input port on the FV43U limited to USB 3.1?

Last edited:
hi guys, i just wanted to give an update. Since I'm very sensitive to vertical banding/DSE effect I showed the monitor to my family. Noone could see it from the start. After I showed them the scanlines they stated that they are definitly there. But they would have never seen them, if I didnt show it. Now they are pissed because once you see them it's hard to unsee them :) So since no reviewer mentions the vertical bars (only one the user

YouOnlyLiveTwice28 on page 13 in this thread.) I decided to order (after a month/ from a different retailer) a second fv43u and compare them. Well, guess what happended? THE SECOND UNIT HAS THE SAME VERTICAL BANDING LINES I guess because how its build. It has less noticeable DSE but what pisses me off, it has a hair? dust? right in the middle behind the screen. So what have I learned from it? Don't look for a perfect screen, look for one which you can live with. I will keep the first one and send the other back. Because the dot in the middle of the screen is much more noticeable on white background (like youtube etc.) than a little worse DSE effect on camera movement​

Can you post a pic by any chance? Seems the quality control at Gigabyte isn't top notch lol. I don't notice anything. A pic would be nice so I can test it on my sample.

Followup question to this. My Macbook is limited to 4K 60hz when connecting via USB-C. I know it can do 4K/120hz if I used a USB-C -> DisplayPort adapter, but my PC is already using the DisplayPort.

I figure my current limitation may be because my USB-C cable is only good for USB 3.1. Is it worth trying Thunderbolt 3 / USB4 cable to unlock 4k/120hz via USB-C, or is the USB-C input port on the FV43U limited to USB 3.1?
In the OSD there is a setting that is for USB versions have you enabled it?

In the OSD there is a setting that is for USB versions have you enabled it?
What setting are you seeing? On firmware F04 I see one under System called "Type-C Capability" but it just says On/Off and has no effect on what resolutions/refresh rates are available.

What setting are you seeing? On firmware F04 I see one under System called "Type-C Capability" but it just says On/Off and has no effect on what resolutions/refresh rates are available.
Same one, thought It would make a difference in case you hadn't noticed. It didn't lol

Back