GIGABYTE AORUS FV43U 43 inch 4k 144 HDR1000 QLED monitor

Watch the thread die now that the LCD vs OLED argument got called out. o_O

I’ll lay off the topic, but reality is at the size and price of this thing, the 48” OLEDs are going to be a natural comparison for most people

Last edited:
I mean we may be "OLED fanboys" but you guys are definitely vocal "FV43U fanboys" :p

And I don't mind if you guys actually prefer this display. But there are people like me for whom OLED is just absolutely king at this time. Is that really so hard to accept?

I mean we may be "OLED fanboys" but you guys are definitely vocal "FV43U fanboys" :p

And I don't mind if you guys actually prefer this display. But there are people like me for whom OLED is just absolutely king at this time. Is that really so hard to accept?

I think you have this misunderstood. The FV43U is the first large screen that can do 144hz with DSC with gsync with hdr1000 ar 2160p all at the same time. Doesn't matter who made it or what brand it is. If it performs all of these functions simultaneously that is what is the catch about this particular Aorus. It's the first of It's kind.

The difference is I don't go into OLED threads talking about the the FV43U. But OLED fanboys sure find their way into any threads that aren't OLED with some superiority complex like you claiming It's the king when it actually isn't. I think OLEds ABL dimming is a bad joke & should have been fixed long ago like 2 years overdue. At least the jokes not on me.

Fix It's Displayport, It's ABL, & It's Burn in. Till then It's not worth even discussing OLED. Especially not in this thread.

Last edited:
The difference is I don't go into OLED threads talking about the the FV43U. But OLED fanboys sure find their way into any threads that aren't OLED with some superiority complex like you claiming It's the king when it actually isn't. I think OLEds are a bad joke of a technology. At least the jokes not on me.
https://hardforum.com/threads/gigabyte-aorus-fo48u-48-4k-120hz-oled.2011874/post-1045085700

I am willing to say OLED is king, at least until microled becomes more of a thing.

Yes because I made one respectable post no fanboyism no superiority complex just an informative post about a new product they might not have known about when the Aorus FO48U oled & Aorus FV43U were both brand new to help others not make the same mistake I made by being mislead as most oled fanboys neglect to tell you all of It's drawbacks & talk about blacks. If more people were honest I wouldn't have wasted time on a TV for a monitor.

Last edited:

Only if you're willing to accept a picture that's nowhere close to RL. No fanboy here as you can see in my past massages that I have used all different brands including another 43" 144 HDR but in the 43" high refresh HDR category. The FV43U IS the current King!

Last edited:
I just don't get the LCD vs OLED war. Both have their ups and downs, some I'm willing to live with and some I'm not. I have zero desire to fight those who picked the one I didn't, or enter threads and start pissing contests.

Still patiently waiting for the One True King in MicroLED but until then I will put up with the painfully obvious downsides of LCDs while envying the image quality benefits that (some) OLED panels are capable of delivering.

I just don't get the LCD vs OLED war. Both have their ups and downs, some I'm willing to live with and some I'm not. I have zero desire to fight those who picked the one I didn't, or enter threads and start pissing contests.

Still patiently waiting for the One True King in MicroLED but until then I will put up with the painfully obvious downsides of LCDs while envying the image quality benefits that (some) OLED panels are capable of delivering.

There will never be a True King as there's always something new on the horizon. Just get what you can enjoy now and worry about tomorrow later. 😀

Well the promise of MicroLED is near perfection. I say "near" because my biggest issue with OLED is the pixel lifespan and I know standard LEDs also have a lifespan with decreasing brightness.

Time will tell. We're long overdue a tech to truly push LCD into obsolescence.

I think at the end of the day it is what you prefer. I tried both but there were things I couldnt take with the Gigabyte. For my usecase it didnt fit in the end so I switched to the OLED.

Only thing I would say is that the FV43U definitely has the best feature set for me it is just a shame that the QC on this by Gigabyte is bad especially around uniformity of the screen, not sure if this is a VA panel thing because this was indeed my first VA, only had IPS before this.

Also the size between a 48 and 43 is actually quite minimal, if you can get a 43 on your desk, a 48 is no problem. Definitely a niche space though, most people would be fine with a 32 or 34 ultrawide with 38 ultrawide being the largest. Anything above that then as long as you can fit it on your desk, YOLO! :D

The fact of the matter for me is I don't care what brand/type of panel it is. If it looks & feels good to me, with the features that I want & need to be happy then I'm good. LCD LED OLED QLED MINILED etc etc etc I'm no fanboy of any of them just give me a good all around display for me to enjoy. It really is as simple as that. lol.

Last edited:
So I tested the HDR GAME mode & it is great. I am experimenting with brighness 75 (made a huge difference) contrast 75 (made a massive difference colors are vibrant and rich) sharpness 5 (fixed) gamma st2084 (fixed) color temp (user defined)

While HDR 1000 is good, I feel like I have opened up a whole new ballgame in the HDR GAME (or HDR MOVIE mode allows for more tuning also) mode because the brightness & contrast controls make a massive difference.

If there is anything I'm forgetting let me know I want to test every single mode out so I can get the best picture quality out of this beast.

Well the promise of MicroLED is near perfection. I say "near" because my biggest issue with OLED is the pixel lifespan and I know standard LEDs also have a lifespan with decreasing brightness.

Time will tell. We're long overdue a tech to truly push LCD into obsolescence.
Yeah unfortunately affordable microLEDs (even with a high cutoff like $10k) is still a while off. Until then since OLED is the only emissive tech still manufactured otherwise, that's pretty much what I've got to go with. More power to anyone who's truly satisfied with LCD, I'm just not.

Excluding everything else, I think the pixel interference issues highlighted earlier in this thread would drive me insane even if I was okay with LCD as a tech in general.

Thank you for that valuable contribution about the FV43U, the topic of this thread. It's only the 10th OLED promotion post you've made in it. Should I open an OLED thread for you and just put all your quotes in the opening post?
Edit: not the 10th, a lot more than that. I was only searching your posts containing the word "oled".

Last edited:
The biggest problem with Micro-LED is that they will never get it down to a small size display. Since they are one to one per pixel, even the grain of sand size LED they shown in CES is too big for smaller size display. That's why the 1st unit is 110" with 88" & 76" coming later. I think we'll have to wait till they have Pico-LED before we can have anything under 65" no matter the cost. The only smaller size Micro-LED monitor we might see in the next couple years is a non per pixel Micro-LED Monitor. If they can fit 1.814 million Micro-LED into a 76" display. We're talking about the possibility of upward of 500K zones on a 43" size display. Forget even that. Just imagine what a 43" monitor with just 50K-100K zones will look like if it can be had at a decent cost.

Last edited:
The biggest problem with Micro-LED is that they will never get it down to a small size display.
I've seen plenty of prototype announcements along with pics-so-it-happened of tiny high density mLED displays (eg. here, scroll down to Plessey Semiconductors Ltd. - it even mentions picometers). Commercial viability and mass production is another matter but it can be done. Whether those get scaled up or the huge wall panels get scaled down will be interesting to see but the tech is there. It just needs that financial and mass production push. I am still quietly hoping for it to end the LCD/OLED war for good.

Read the topic:

GIGABYTE AORUS FV43U 43 inch 4k 144 HDR1000 QLED monitor

Are you posting about the topic? If not, do not post in this thread. Maybe make your own thread about what you want to talk about instead of hijacking others' threads?

Has anyone put this thing on a monitor arm?

I'm starting to crave a floating monitor. The included feet are less intrusive than the center pedestel on my last monitor, but I want to clean things up.

I have a Newstar Neomount NM-D775BLACK, a gas sprung articulated arm. Two, even. The manufacturer told me in an email that the FV43U should be fine on it, but I would recommend NM-D775BLACKPLUS, which is the same but with a stronger tilt joint to make sure it doesn't sag on you. They created it to add strength for curved ultrawides that put the weight of their sides more away from the mount's tilt joint causing leverage on it. Even the non PLUS can handle up to 16kg non curved and the FV43U is only 10kg, but the tilt joint on mine could be better. I wouldn't hesitate to put the 43" on it but if you have the choice, go with the PLUS. The sides of the base will dig into the desk/table a bit, so add some extra protection, I used some sticky felts made for underneath chair legs.

That said, given the viewing distance required for a 43" it may be better to use a wall mount, because the arm won't let you move it quite as far back as that. The benefit of a gas sprung arm OTOH is you can move it around.
I do love the float. I'll never use a monitor's regular stand ever again. Don't get a non gas sprung arm expecting to be able to adjust the height easily. Won't slide up/down the vertical tube unless you lift the entire 10kg with your other hand (you would need one hand behind the monitor to re-tighten the bolt). The weight being forward of the joint puts torque on it, so unless you do something about that by removing the screen first or completely lifting it, it won't budge. That's why I went gas sprung, and there's only one or two gas sprung arms that can handle 10kg or more.

Edit: Another mobile option is to place a secondary, shallow cabinet/table against the wall, then mounting the arm to that. Or even a shelf but that makes it bound to that particular wall in that particular location like just a wall mount would.
Edit: Avoid this wall mounted gas sprung arm: Newstar FPMA-W950. The holes for the screws that go in the wall are too close together so the whole thing could come crashing down.

Last edited:
Very interesting, I didn't expect such success with an affordable arm. Some of the really beefy stuff gets crazy expensive, but I think I'll give one of those a shot.

About how much further forward does the arm make the monitor sit? I currently have the OEM legs set as far back as they can go, which seems to give about 7" between the panel and the rear edge of the desk.

Last edited:
My 27" can get a little beyond the desk even. The size of the FV43U combined with the location of its VESA mountpoints (slightly above center) mean your limit would be about 2.5 inches toward you from the edge of the desk because you have to clear the lower half of the mount arm itself. You're gonna need their 20x20cm to 10cmx10cm mount plate adapter too. The arms come with 10x10, FV43U is 20x20.

Word of caution: never lift the monitor off unless the arm is at its highest position, unless you enjoy uppercuts to the face.

Word of caution: never lift the monitor off unless the arm is at its highest position, unless you enjoy uppercuts to the face.
This sounds like it's written from experience!

I am in an odd position where the monitor is not backed up to a wall and yet I have things behind my desk that stop me from using anything but the supplied legs. I would ideally like to push the screen a little further back than it is but I can't deny the joys of doing CAD work on such a large in-your-face panel just slightly less than 1m away. My back IS against a wall so I can't move back any further myself unfortunately. The biggest downside is the gamma shift from being too close. Undeniably a problem.

This probably goes some way to explaining why I noticed the pixel interference problem fairly quickly too.

The biggest downside is the gamma shift from being too close. Undeniably a problem.

This probably goes some way to explaining why I noticed the pixel interference problem fairly quickly too.

Same boat. I'm mucking around in Fusion 360 right now and the off-yellow of the corners and the weirdness of black-on-grey-on-white details is rampant. I am able to sit a bit further back than you so I'll count myself lucky.

Oh well. I'll forget about it as soon as I do pretty much anything else, especially game. Recently started playing Control - that game on a 3090 and this display is incredible.

Same boat. I'm mucking around in Fusion 360 right now and the off-yellow of the corners and the weirdness of black-on-grey-on-white details is rampant. I am able to sit a bit further back than you so I'll count myself lucky.

Oh well. I'll forget about it as soon as I do pretty much anything else, especially game. Recently started playing Control - that game on a 3090 and this display is incredible.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 is also HDR supported game looks bonkers electrifying with the FV43U on those large Supremacy maps with ultra bright lazers in different burning highlighted neon colors everywhere It's a monster for HDR & gets omega bright and rich so satisfying! Lol

Reactions: Roen
like this
Also for those of you who haven't changed the FV43U off the HDR1000 setting I highly recommend you do. Choose HDR game and set it up for games & HDR movie for movies & set them up and save the settings. Moving off of hdr1000 and controling the brightness & contrast literally brought a whole new life & perspective of color & light. It feels 2x as good as it was out of the box stock calibration. Looking back I wish I hopped off hdr1000 when I first got it and set up hdr game & hdr movie modes earlier, they are much better!

Reactions: Roen
like this
This sounds like it's written from experience!
It went right by the side of my face. Close call. With the FV43U's 10kg on it, you'd have to tighten the spring more to keep it suspended. Which means the arm swings up that much faster when you remove the monitor.

The size of the FV43U combined with the location of its VESA mountpoints (slightly above center) mean your limit would be about 2.5 inches toward you from the edge of the desk because you have to clear the lower half of the mount arm itself.
Correction: that's 2.5" from the edge of the desk to the back of the monitor. You still have to add the thickness of the monitor itself to that.

HDR tip from an Amazon user review: "Turn off hdr on pc and xbox series and use custom setting for picture. The display will switch to hdr automatically. Custom setting has more picture setting than hdr game setting."

Last edited:
I have a Newstar Neomount NM-D775BLACK, a gas sprung articulated arm. Two, even. The manufacturer told me in an email that the FV43U should be fine on it, but I would recommend NM-D775BLACKPLUS, which is the same but with a stronger tilt joint to make sure it doesn't sag on you. They created it to add strength for curved ultrawides that put the weight of their sides more away from the mount's tilt joint causing leverage on it. Even the non PLUS can handle up to 16kg non curved and the FV43U is only 10kg, but the tilt joint on mine could be better. I wouldn't hesitate to put the 43" on it but if you have the choice, go with the PLUS. The sides of the base will dig into the desk/table a bit, so add some extra protection, I used some sticky felts made for underneath chair legs.

That said, given the viewing distance required for a 43" it may be better to use a wall mount, because the arm won't let you move it quite as far back as that. The benefit of a gas sprung arm OTOH is you can move it around.
I do love the float. I'll never use a monitor's regular stand ever again. Don't get a non gas sprung arm expecting to be able to adjust the height easily. Won't slide up/down the vertical tube unless you lift the entire 10kg with your other hand (you would need one hand behind the monitor to re-tighten the bolt). The weight being forward of the joint puts torque on it, so unless you do something about that by removing the screen first or completely lifting it, it won't budge. That's why I went gas sprung, and there's only one or two gas sprung arms that can handle 10kg or more.

Edit: Another mobile option is to place a secondary, shallow cabinet/table against the wall, then mounting the arm to that. Or even a shelf but that makes it bound to that particular wall in that particular location like just a wall mount would.
Edit: Avoid this wall mounted gas sprung arm: Newstar FPMA-W950. The holes for the screws that go in the wall are too close together so the whole thing could come crashing down.
If you're willing to spend some money, the Ergotron HX works great with a monitor I'm not allowed to mention. Can get it pretty damn close to the wall. A 43" should fall well within its range. Not cheap though. And it definitely would have been easier to put together with a 2nd person to help.

Well, finally swap the office and home. Will have more time to play with the FV43U now and really give it a good workout 😁

Also for those of you who haven't changed the FV43U off the HDR1000 setting I highly recommend you do. Choose HDR game and set it up for games & HDR movie for movies & set them up and save the settings. Moving off of hdr1000 and controling the brightness & contrast literally brought a whole new life & perspective of color & light. It feels 2x as good as it was out of the box stock calibration. Looking back I wish I hopped off hdr1000 when I first got it and set up hdr game & hdr movie modes earlier, they are much better!

What setting are you running now in games. Just want a baseline to try out.

What setting are you running now in games. Just want a baseline to try out.

HDR GAME for games & HDR MOVIE for movies ( can save a different settings list for each one then save in OSD)

Brightness 75
Contrast 75
Sharpness 5 [if 5 is neutral or off]
Black Equalizer 10
Color Vibrance 10
Gamma st2084 (or gamma 5 in sidekick)
Color temp 100red/97green/99blue
HDR ON in OSD & Windows 10 with HDR video content ON also.
Adaptive Sync ON
Display Mode FULL
Dashboard ON
Overdrive BALANCE
OSD ON
OSD Transparency 20%
OSD Location BOTTOM RIGHT
LED Indicator ON
Dark Enhance OFF
Color Enhance OFF
Light Enhance OFF
Local Dimming OFF
RGB autodetect OFF
Overscan OFF
Low Blue Light 0
Super Resolution 0
Aim Stabilzer OFF
Freesync OFF (I have Nvidia GPU)
Corsshair OFF
Game Counter OFF
Refresh Rate OFF
Gaming Timer OFF
Bios Firmware Version F04

This is everything I have set up. It is not final, but like you said it is a baseline I am trying out right now for a while to see how It feels. Hope you like it :)

Last edited:
Sharpness 0
Doesn't this create a blurry image? I messed with sharpness a lot while pinning issues down and found 5 is basically "off". Lower creates a soft image and higher gives sharpening halos that I really don't like. I've left it at 5 for all purposes.

Doesn't this create a blurry image? I messed with sharpness a lot while pinning issues down and found 5 is basically "off". Lower creates a soft image and higher gives sharpening halos that I really don't like. I've left it at 5 for all purposes.
This could be true. Kind of misleading because you would think 0 is off lol. I'll double check but I'll also take your word for it. Off or neutral is what I would want also because I don't like any extra sharpening at all I also dont want to soften the IQ also so If 5 is neutral then yes 5 would be ideal.

Fixed my settings post to say 5 if that is off/neutral.

Yeah it is a bit misleading, I don't really see much sense in having "inverse sharpening" either. What good is intentionally softening an incoming digital signal? It's not the first time I've seen it but I've always found this option to be a strange addition to a digital display.

I'll check the Sharpness but I generally turn off all the enhance features so I can see what the signal from the GPU looks like before playing around.

Hey all, I'm very close to buying one of these but I'm also tempted to hold off for something better and wanted opinions... I unfortunately can't fit bigger than a 43" in the space I'm looking to put this (which is 1000cm wide exactly so the 48" LG is out of the running sadly) and I'll be mainly using this with consoles (SX, PS5 and older systems) - yes this is probably a waste but I will also have my gaming PC hooked up to it at some point, but mainly it'll be for console gaming at the moment.

Right now (at least in Australia) the options for a 43" are extremely limited if you want HDMI 2.1 features. The only TV available is the Sony X85J and it doesn't have VRR yet (coming in firmware apparently) and is also edgelit so it would seem the FV43U is the superior option at the moment? The FV43U is more expensive, but it seems like it'd be worth it? It's either that or I wait for the 42" LG OLED that I keep seeing people mention but who knows how much or even when that will come out. Has anyone tried lower res content on this screen? Is it acceptable or should I be looking at a TV that might handle scaling better (is that still an advantage with TV's? it was years ago)? I really don't need the TV functionality, which is another reason I've opened up my options to this.

Anyway, appreciate any feedback, cheers!

Back