GIGABYTE AORUS FV43U 43 inch 4k 144 HDR1000 QLED monitor

I have. With the amount of web browsing I do and other software that stays in the same position for hours on end each day the burn-in would be fast and merciless. 48" while better (lower) pixel density for my use case is a bit too big for me to accomodate given the shape and size of the room. From the looks of things, large 43" monitors are the current frontier and will see many improvements in the years to come.
Fair enough. I personally haven't enjoyed a display tech like this since phosphor based displays. If I can get 4-5 years before having to buy another one, that's well worth the money to me. I don't think I can go back to LCD for my primary display.

I appreciate the suggestion though. There's also the issue of needing a 3000-series GPU for HDMI 2.1 unless an oled is classified as a monitor rather than a TV and has DP making it magically extremely expensive. I'm rockin' a 2080 Super. Other than HDMI 2.1 there'd be no real need to replace it at these crazy high prices.

These are the only currently available oled monitors (= at least one DP input), at least in my country:
LG 32EP950-B - €3520
Alienware AW5520QF - €3195
Asus ProArt PQ22UC - 21.6" - €4399

There's no info about MSRP yet on the FO48U as far as I could find, but given the above list it's not going to be cheap. I'd want an oled to be classified as a monitor for other reasons too like ABL concerns, lower inputlag without being confined to a "game mode" that locks you out out other settings, enough features to combat burn-in, ideally no BGR subpixel layout, blah blah etc, a TV just isn't quite a monitor. Hence the two different names for each.

Last edited:
I appreciate the suggestion though. There's also the issue of needing a 3000-series GPU for HDMI 2.1 unless an oled is classified as a monitor rather than a TV and has DP making it magically extremely expensive. I'm rockin' a 2080 Super. Other than HDMI 2.1 there'd be no real need to replace it at these crazy high prices.

These are the only currently available oled monitors (= at least one DP input), at least in my country:
LG 32EP950-B - €3520
Alienware AW5520QF - €3195
Asus ProArt PQ22UC - 21.6" - €4399

There's no info about MSRP yet on the FO48U as far as I could find, but given the above list it's not going to be cheap.
FO48U is on sale in the US. $1500 - so about the same price as the LG TVs, except those are sometimes on sale for less (right now can get a C1 for $1300). Can't imagine it will be much longer before it's available in Europe.

For comparison, the US prices of the monitors you listed
LG 32EP950-B - $3999
Alienware AW5520QF - $3034 (MSRP $4049)
Asus ProArt PQ22UC - $3999

Based on those, I suspect the FO48U will be under 1500 euros. All of those US prices are without tax

We'll see I suppose, but I like the confidence. :) I'm starting to consider using one monitor for everything in the OS, one that's suited most to text like 32" 4K IPS (or even my current 27" 1440p IPS to start with), on a gas sprung articulated arm which I already have, and FV34U or FO48U purely for gaming and movies. Two tools for 2 different jobs so to speak. If the larger, entertainment display is wall mounted behind it, I could swing the smaller monitor out of the way. I dunno, mulling it over. Proceed. :D

EDIT:
Wait, you'd have to change which of the 2 is the primary monitor in Windows every time you switch between gaming and other tasks, wouldn't you? I can see that getting old rather quickly.

Last edited:
I took a picture on a grey background, what do you guys think? Should I ask for another Panel? 2nd picture is when HDR is on (note the dark spot in the center is due to camera angle and is not visible with eyes.

Attachments

• Uniformity.jpg
    Uniformity.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 0
  • HDR ON.jpg
    HDR ON.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
We'll see I suppose, but I like the confidence. :) I'm starting to consider using one monitor for everything in the OS, one that's suited most to text like 32" 4K IPS (or even my current 27" 1440p IPS to start with), on a gas sprung articulated arm which I already have, and FV34U or FO48U purely for gaming and movies. Two tools for 2 different jobs so to speak. If the larger, entertainment display is wall mounted behind it, I could swing the smaller monitor out of the way. I dunno, mulling it over. Proceed. :D

EDIT:
Wait, you'd have to change which of the 2 is the primary monitor in Windows every time you switch between gaming and other tasks, wouldn't you? I can see that getting old rather quickly.

I came from an Acer B326HK 4K 32" IPS and I don't really miss it on my day to day work stuff and I work with a lot of text. Give the FV43U a little time and see. It's enough better than my CG437K at my home office that I'm seriously considering buy another one or swap them between my office and home since we all spend more time at how nowadays.

I took a picture on a grey background, what do you guys think? Should I ask for another Panel? 2nd picture is when HDR is on (note the dark spot in the center is due to camera angle and is not visible with eyes. But I can see a cross right side (vertical and horizontal bar)

Go to rtings and look at some of the "Best Gaming Monitor 2021" and they all have Gray Uniformity and Black Uniformity problems. Stop running test pattern and go play with you monitor instead.

Last edited:
Take a gander at the uniformity section of this review: https://www.wepc.com/gaming-monitor/review/gigabyte-fv43u/#elementor-toc__heading-anchor-11
The last line of which reads: "...with a 30% deviation in luminance, it can often be seen via the naked eye."

Yet, their final verdict is this:

"The only question left to answer is, does the FV43U showcase good value for money? Well, the short answer is yes, absolutely.
The FV43U is a 43.4 inch 4K gaming monitor that benefits from its 144Hz refresh rate and low 1ms MPRT – the perfect balance of speed and response needed for almost any type of gaming. The FV43U felt incredibly smooth when playing fast-paced titles whilst benefitting from its large-screen and HDR performance in more story-based AAA games. General content consumption felt natural and TV-Esq, with general everday use also being a viable option for this panel. With VESA DisplayHDR 1000 certification, a decent set of speakers, good pixel response, and general responsiveness, there really isn’t much this monitor does wrong."

Simply put. There's nothing better at this size nor at such a reasonable price. The only reason my CG437K costed about the same is because I received a professional discount but the FV43U is better in pretty much all respect.

Last edited:
The question wasn't really if the FV43U is worth buying, but: should he ask for a replacement FV43U in hopes of getting better uniformity. Given that review I'd say it's probably not worth the hassle as it's inherent to the panel used in combination with how it's lit. If it's a problem in everyday use you'd have to switch to a different size and/or type of backlighting/panel tech. It's the price you pay for having VA contrast and large size.

The question wasn't really if the FV43U is worth buying, but: should he ask for a replacement FV43U in hopes of getting better uniformity. Given that review I'd say it's probably not worth the hassle as it's inherent to the panel used in combination with how it's lit. If it's a problem in everyday use you'd have to switch to a different size and/or type of backlighting/panel tech. It's the price you pay for having VA contrast and large size.

True. Pretty much the same thing I said since some of the "Best" on rtings have the same problem.

A couple questions about USB-C on this monitor:

1. My 2018 Macbook Pro can do 3840x2160 60hz over USB-C, but when I try to do 120hz the image gets distorted with green artifacts everywhere. Is this a limitation of the cable, my MBP (which has a discrete Radeon 555X GPU and theoretically supports DP 1.4 / TB 3), or of the FV43u?

2. After updating to the F04 Firmware, a new option showed up in the System Menu called "Type-C Capability". Toggling this doesn't seem to have any effect. Anyone know what this does?

Oops, accidentally deleted this post thinking I was in the wrong thread. I'm a complete idiot or I haven't had enough coffee. Both, probably.

Anyway, managed to capture the drug-induced local dimming error again with some footage for good measure.

I've got a 50% grey background, plus a folder of images and a white image for dragging around the screen. Doing so shows the crazy glitchy visuals in place of the local dimming. Note that the blocky aspect is NOT YouTube compression (for once!) - I can only assume this is how the local dimming is actually done, just that it's not supposed to be an acid trip.

I then bring up the 5-option OSD, turning it on and off a few times. This very obviously affects the glitch on-screen, proving that this cannot be my GPU or cable, it's internal to the monitor and can't physically be upstream to it.

Turning local dimming on and off a few times at the end surely just reinforces this idea.

I tried to get the issue to trigger several times earlier today with no lock whatsoever. What did I do different this evening? Nothing.

A couple questions about USB-C on this monitor:

1. My 2018 Macbook Pro can do 3840x2160 60hz over USB-C, but when I try to do 120hz the image gets distorted with green artifacts everywhere. Is this a limitation of the cable, my MBP (which has a discrete Radeon 555X GPU and theoretically supports DP 1.4 / TB 3), or of the FV43u?

2. After updating to the F04 Firmware, a new option showed up in the System Menu called "Type-C Capability". Toggling this doesn't seem to have any effect. Anyone know what this does?
On my FO48U, my mac (2019 MBP) won't even give me the option to do 120Hz. On my PC (via a USB-C -> DisplayPort adapter), if I set "Type-C DSC" to on instead of auto, then it can do 4k120 at 10bpc full RGB. Otherwise I either have to turn it down to 6bpc (which shows all sorts of artifacts) or set the color space to 4:2:2

Since your mac is showing 120Hz as an option, maybe setting DSC to on (if that's an option on the FV43U) will do the trick.

Cost is similiar to FI32U but i feel like this is FAR better. I hope it will be price right in my country.

Tiny update on the local dimming disasters. It appears to happen only if the display has woken from sleep mode. Explains why I can't get it to happen in the morning but coming back to it after a break, there it is. Still only on the local dimming mode.

That's why I typically disable everything power management related in everything, including the OS. No sleep, hibernation, suspend, fast boot (honorable mention), none of that. These things always break something.

Last edited:
Fair point. There's something about the monitor firmware that doesn't like its own power management, thankfully the only symptoms are on a mode I don't personally care for. The way it happens is still leading me to believe that the backlight is only capable of dimming as a whole and the "local" element of it is simulated on the panel itself. I'd love some proof (or otherwise) of this in a highly technical review.

In any case I figured this is worth documenting for those who may come across the same issue and wonder what the frak is going on.

Tiny update on the local dimming disasters. It appears to happen only if the display has woken from sleep mode. Explains why I can't get it to happen in the morning but coming back to it after a break, there it is. Still only on the local dimming mode.

Hum. Does it do it on your old laptop? Will give it a try on Tuesday when I'm back in office but sleep can be tricky. My CG437K will go blank screen for a few seconds when it comes out of sleep but it only happen once in a while. Maybe depends on what I have opened on the screen when it went to sleep. Since it's random and doesn't really affect day to day. I never bother looking into it.

Hah....I was just reading the last few updates to this thread, thinking about how lucky I am to have a unit I'm happy with, and the display cut out for a few seconds. Happened the moment I clicked my profile name in the upper right corner and the little window expanded. Come to think of it, this isn't the first time this has happened. Makes me wonder if Senn was on to something when he mentioned signal distance problems a few pages back.

Also, does anyone know what the proper support channels are for Gigabyte? Might be useful for members here to submit their findings to GB in hopes of fixes in future firmware updates.

Hum. Does it do it on your old laptop? Will give it a try on Tuesday when I'm back in office but sleep can be tricky. My CG437K will go blank screen for a few seconds when it comes out of sleep but it only happen once in a while. Maybe depends on what I have opened on the screen when it went to sleep. Since it's random and doesn't really affect day to day. I never bother looking into it.
Good point about the laptop, I'll try this again when I have the chance. Means waiting for sleep mode then waking it up so I have to find a time I'm not actively using my computer.

Edit: Just a quick test with the desktop again, it was showing the error as it had been asleep. I turned the monitor fully off while it was errored, switched it on again and the error was gone. I'm still not 100% certain but it's definitely pointing towards something going wrong when waking from sleep.

Hah....I was just reading the last few updates to this thread, thinking about how lucky I am to have a unit I'm happy with, and the display cut out for a few seconds. Happened the moment I clicked my profile name in the upper right corner and the little window expanded. Come to think of it, this isn't the first time this has happened. Makes me wonder if Senn was on to something when he mentioned signal distance problems a few pages back.

Also, does anyone know what the proper support channels are for Gigabyte? Might be useful for members here to submit their findings to GB in hopes of fixes in future firmware updates.
I was waiting for Gigabyte's response about the pixel interference issue through their eSupport system (I think the response is easily predictable though...) but it has been down since they suffered some ransomware attack. I've never known a support channel to be down for so long.

I'd personally want them to read this entire thread but that's almost certainly not happening. :rolleyes:

As far as I can tell the local dimming is done on-panel so it isn't even the backlight. I say this because I've had the local dimming mode error on me and cause the image to go full multicolour weird with associated "dimming" gradients rainbowing across the screen. If it happens again I'll grab footage.

It appears to have the traditional backlight local dimming, at least on mines anyway. Total of 8 edge-lit zones, 4 on the top and 4 on the bottom. See video below. This video was taken from an angle to really show the blooming/backlight bleeding and the camera picks it up way more than our eyes. It looks much better in person.

I was waiting for Gigabyte's response about the pixel interference issue through their eSupport system (I think the response is easily predictable though...) but it has been down since they suffered some ransomware attack. I've never known a support channel to be down for so long.

I'd personally want them to read this entire thread but that's almost certainly not happening. :rolleyes:

Gigabyte's support is the worst I've dealt with. They say their response time is something like 3-7 days, but it seems to ALWAYS be 7 days. Even when they ask me a question and I respond within 30 minutes, I have to wait another 7 days for the next response. Not only is their response time slow, but they ask stupid questions like "please list all of your monitor settings" even after I mentioned everything is at default. I would expect better support for a premium (is this monitor considered premium?) monitor.

I gave it a go
That's my typical use at the office also. I have a vendor webpage open on one side and a XLS opened on the other so I can easily copy & Paste to check pricing and availability and such. This what my desktop usually looks like at work. How far do you sit from the monitor? I currently sits about 30"-36" away since my computer reading glasses was set for that distance when I was using a 32" 4K. I could probably sit about 40"-46" away once I get new glasses and the corner fade are much less noticeable at that distance.
Gave up after the weekend, the dimmed corners and yellow tinting decided to return it. Was thinking of ordering a new one but thought I'd check the LG C1 in HarveyNormans and was blown away.
Have it for a week now and I can say I'm much happier now. There are obvious cons ie burn-in, brightness, ABL and it not being a monitor! but so far loving it. The size it turns out is just 10CM longer and 3CM taller than a 43" so it wasnt a big shock as I gotten used to the FV43U. Also the brightness is fine, I guess being in Ireland, it is mostly damp and dark anyway :D, even though I am in a southern facing room, i like I dark so I have the curtains pulled most of the time so brightness of the screen is just 25 and it is fine for me. One thing I noticed now after the OLED was that the FV43U seem to give off tons of heat!, I could smell the hot electronics smell if that makes sense lol

Of course the thing I missed the most is DP on the monitor as well as all the functions that come with a monitor, auto turn off etc.. I guess the 48" from Gigabyte could be an option if the price is right

I gave it a go

Gave up after the weekend, the dimmed corners and yellow tinting decided to return it. Was thinking of ordering a new one but thought I'd check the LG C1 in HarveyNormans and was blown away.
Have it for a week now and I can say I'm much happier now. There are obvious cons ie burn-in, brightness, ABL and it not being a monitor! but so far loving it. The size it turns out is just 10CM longer and 3CM taller than a 43" so it wasnt a big shock as I gotten used to the FV43U. Also the brightness is fine, I guess being in Ireland, it is mostly damp and dark anyway :D, even though I am in a southern facing room, i like I dark so I have the curtains pulled most of the time so brightness of the screen is just 25 and it is fine for me. One thing I noticed now after the OLED was that the FV43U seem to give off tons of heat!, I could smell the hot electronics smell if that makes sense lol

Of course the thing I missed the most is DP on the monitor as well as all the functions that come with a monitor, auto turn off etc.. I guess the 48" from Gigabyte could be an option if the price is right
I realise you've already RMA'd but regarding the heat problem, did you upgrade the firmware of the FV43U? F01 firmware was known to make the thing overheat, apparently now fixed.

It's a shame that when I'm not gaming I've got a lot of things static on the screen in the same places. Not wanting that constant thought in the back of my mind of all that burning in has made me avoid OLED so far, even though the problems of the alternatives can also be annoying.

I realise you've already RMA'd but regarding the heat problem, did you upgrade the firmware of the FV43U? F01 firmware was known to make the thing overheat, apparently now fixed.

It's a shame that when I'm not gaming I've got a lot of things static on the screen in the same places. Not wanting that constant thought in the back of my mind of all that burning in has made me avoid OLED so far, even though the problems of the alternatives can also be annoying.
Yea I did manage to update the firmware to F04 before I RMAed it. Still felt way too hot for me, could just be cause it was a bigger screen. I could if I put my face next to it feel the heat radiating off it.

I was like you to be honest, but while I was contemplating the RMA I read quite a bit on burn in and it is pretty hard to have permanent burn in, unless you left CNN on for hours on end. I have the brightness of OLED to 25, if there is light in the room, I bring it up to 35. in HDR it is either 85 or 100 depending if bright or dark room. I have autohidedesktop icons and taskbar, screen saver turns on after 1min, black background and try to use dark themes. Will see how it gets on. I left all the pixel shift etc.. on in the screen saver options in LG.

The text is better on this as well even though it WBGR, the red shift when scrolling is gone and it is sharper on 100% scaling which I wasnt able to keep on the FV43U, had to do min 125% there.

Gigabyte probably didnt like me returning the monitor cause the day I got this my X570 Aorus Master died out of the blue! :D Moved to ASUS board now :p

I have autohidedesktop icons and taskbar, screen saver turns on after 1min, black background and try to use dark themes.
I'm all for dark themes, they are my preference anyway. Those other things would probably bug me though, I've never liked icons and tools sliding out of view.

I so wish the OLED pixel lifespan wasn't such a problem, it shows on my phone and I don't use that like a desktop for work. If anything my phone use is probably below average because I work from home and almost everything I do is on my desktop computer. I fear an OLED, despite that gorgeous image quality that I can only envy, wouldn't last me very long.

I'm all for dark themes, they are my preference anyway. Those other things would probably bug me though, I've never liked icons and tools sliding out of view.

I so wish the OLED pixel lifespan wasn't such a problem, it shows on my phone and I don't use that like a desktop for work. If anything my phone use is probably below average because I work from home and almost everything I do is on my desktop computer. I fear an OLED, despite that gorgeous image quality that I can only envy, wouldn't last me very long.
I think the tv class displays have somewhat better longevity compared to phones. And there being separate white subpixels instead of depending on the rgb subpixels for highlights probably also helps reduce burn in. It is an inevitably, but I think it’ll take long enough that I’ll be okay with replacing the monitor by the time it happens.

I think the tv class displays have somewhat better longevity compared to phones. And there being separate white subpixels instead of depending on the rgb subpixels for highlights probably also helps reduce burn in. It is an inevitably, but I think it’ll take long enough that I’ll be okay with replacing the monitor by the time it happens.
Yea there is tech in the tv that is supposed to reduce burn in. The tests on rtings shows that unless you are leaving the screen turned on for 8h daily with the same image over and over, it is unlikely.
Plus some colours are more prone to burn in like red.

I think it is a personal choice, I think if it did happen to me in 3-4 years I will be fine with it. Plus LG has a 5 year warranty on this, so they must be confident.

A plus also since it's a tv, I get the smart tv stuff in my office now :D Netflix on my lunch break :p

The thing is there is no reason to only need or want 3-4 years out of a 4k display. If i dont need a new monitor in 7 years because 4k isn't going anywhere and hdmi2.1 is so new that it is going to be a while before hdmi sees higher bandwidth. So if the image quality is good and the display has longevity it is worth It's weight in gold. Why would I wanna dish out another 1400 or whatever on another display in 30 or 40 months? If my 4k monitor can last me 10 years I'll be happy because if there is no worthwhile improvments in display tech why should I shoot myself in the foot with potential issues that I am willingly subjecting myself into? Burn in risk? No way, not gonna worry about it. HDR1000 at 144hz is dazzling.

That being said I am no fanboy of LG or Gigabyte. In fact I am still in the testing phase of this FV43U & if I find any little issue that I am not comfortable with It is going back to Amazon faster than Marty Mcfly went back to the future.

The thing is there is no reason to only need or want 3-4 years out of a 4k display. If i dont need a new monitor in 7 years because 4k isn't going anywhere and hdmi2.1 is so new that it is going to be a while before hdmi sees higher bandwidth. So if the image quality is good and the display has longevity it is worth It's weight in gold. Why would I wanna dish out another 1400 or whatever on another display in 30 or 40 months? If my 4k monitor can last me 10 years I'll be happy because if there is no worthwhile improvments in display tech why should I shoot myself in the foot with potential issues that I am willingly subjecting myself into? Burn in risk? No way, not gonna worry about it. HDR1000 at 144hz is dazzling.

That being said I am no fanboy of LG or Gigabyte. In fact I am still in the testing phase of this FV43U & if I find any little issue that I am not comfortable with It is going back to Amazon faster than Marty Mcfly went back to the future.
If the image quality is better than anything else on the market (it is), then I have no zero qualms about spending $1500 every 3 - 4 years. I'd rather that than hold onto a display I don't like for a decade.

If the image quality is better than anything else on the market (it is), then I have no zero qualms about spending $1500 every 3 - 4 years. I'd rather that than hold onto a display I don't like for a decade.
Difference isn't big enough. Negligible. Returned the C1. Don't dim on me, never that.

Heck I have no problem going back to my 32" 1440p 165hz curved gsync Predator Z1 which is blazing fast & still a solid monitor if all of these 4k options are riddled with issues or concerns for that matter.

On the contrary throwing 1500 every 3 years on tech that is annoying and needs to be babysat is something that would not make someone happy.

Last edited:
My previous LCD monitor had plenty of permanent burn-in. Yes, actually factually permanent, believe me: I tried everything. It only started from about 2/3rd of its ~13 year lifespan, but this is LCD we're talking about. OLEDs are much more susceptible to it, so I already know how that would end and roughly how early. The major reason for using a big screen for me is immersion in games and being worried about the HUD or compass burning in while playing seems immersion breaking to me, defeating the whole point. You can't even hide the HUD in many games. Take a strategy game for instance, you wouldn't know how much of each resource you have available to you.

The tests on rtings shows that unless you are leaving the screen turned on for 8h daily with the same image over and over, it is unlikely.
The issue with this kind of testing is that it's not done over a long enough period of time. In my experience, even on an LCD, burn-in builds over time, meaning it burns in faster and faster the next time it has to show that thing, even if it was cleared in the meantime by displaying something else. To do it in the short term yeah you'd have to leave the same thing on all day, but over years all it takes is having the same thing on the screen regularly and nowhere near that long. It happens just from normal use as a PC monitor, apparently even on LCD after about 8 years. If you have a favorite game, RIP OLED before the end of year 2 probably, despite all the efforts to prevent it. 100% HUD-less gameplay is misery and usually not possible.

Heck I have no problem going back to my 32" 1440p 165hz curved gsync Predator Z1 which is blazing fast & still a solid monitor if all of these 4k options are riddled with issues or concerns for that matter.
My choice is either going to be 32" or this 43". Can you describe what strikes you most about the overall experience between the two? I believe you're talking about the Z321QU? I owned one briefly, and retured it. Even wrote a user review so I'll be able to relate to what you say. I returned mine because it had a red color cast on the left half while the right half looked green, brightness was uneven, and I felt that IPS could maybe get away with 1440p at 32" but for the VA subpixel structure the pixel density seemed low because text was blurry.

Last edited:
The issue with this kind of testing is that it's not done over a long enough period of time. In my experience, even on an LCD, burn-in builds over time, meaning it burns in faster and faster the next time it has to show that thing, even if it was cleared in the meantime by displaying something else. To do it in the short term yeah you'd have to leave the same thing on all day, but over years all it takes is having the same thing on the screen regularly and nowhere near that long. It happens just from normal use as a PC monitor, apparently even on LCD after about 8 years. If you have a favorite game, RIP OLED before the end of year 2 probably, despite all the efforts to prevent it. 100% HUD-less gameplay is misery and usually not possible.
It's been a few years now for OLED, sure the risk is there but there are mitigation there. I don't turn off the HUD as I agree with you most games don't work with it.

Any modern LCD would probably take longer than 8 years to burn in. RTings test is pretty decent actually as they let it run on the worst scenario for months to simulate years of use. Heck an LCD failed in one of their tests . In fact the amount of heat from the gigabyte I would have been surprised if it lasted 5 years :D

I think at the end of the day, pros and cons on both. Opposite to XDiVolatilX I returned the Gigabyte as I found its flaws unacceptable. To each their own I guess.

Reactions: Roen
like this
I think at the end of the day, pros and cons on both.
Very much this. And the pros and cons end up being subjective. I personally still don't want to have to keep burn-in mitigation methods in mind all day every day on OLED panels, knowing that I need to keep toolbars and property boxes in the same place for hours on end each day. My work use case, I suspect, makes the disadvantages of OLED more apparent.

Others have different use cases - if I had it just for gaming I could probably get away with it just fine.

My previous LCD monitor had plenty of permanent burn-in. Yes, actually factually permanent, believe me: I tried everything. It only started from about 2/3rd of its ~13 year lifespan, but this is LCD we're talking about.
My previous monitor was a VA of about 13-14 years vintage. Zero burn-in, zero temporary image retention. I think it depends on the panel and the tech used because I've seen new IPS panels less than a year old get temporary "burn-in" that was actually capacitance that then faded with time with more careful consideration of static imagery.

A new review popped up by Tweakers.net, written on monday. I hadn't seen it yet. It's in Dutch and the site blocks Google translate from translating pages so I will just share the major points.

Response time measurements, OD setting "Picture Quality":
_response.png

The response times are impressive, not unlike the recent Samsung VA's and better than older VAs. But there's a price to pay in the FV43U's case in terms of overshoot. I'd want to reduce the OD here as on the Picture Quality setting there's already a 27% overshoot measured for the 20-50% transitions. (I hate overshoot more than dark smearing itself.) Is "Off" the next OD setting sep down from "Picture Quality"? Is it dark smear happy hour when it's set to Off, in your experience? They did test Off, but without measuring the slowest dark transitions, they only measured 20%-80% and 0-100% in that OD mode, and those measurements indicate that Off doesn't actually mean truly Off, measuring 5.2ms for a 0-100 transition.

Input lag (60Hz):
_inputlagbars.png

Input lag 1080p/60/120 and 4k/60 vs Philips 55" monitor:
_inputlagchart.png

An unusually long delay at 60Hz. At 120Hz it was fine. By comparison, an Asus PG279Q has 12.3ms at 60Hz which RTINGS said is already a little higher than usual (for a 27"). The reviewers' Leo Bodnar measuring device doesn't support testing at 4k/144Hz, so at 4k they could only test 60Hz. No mention of firmware version was made. I've asked them, if I get a reply I'll let you know because it seems important if you're gaming at 4k or with a console: you're not gonna have >100 fps very often and with g-sync enabled that means you're running low Hz and on this unit, therefore with unusually high inputlag.

Contrast
A
t 150 cd/m2 brightness it was measured at 5066:1 which exceeds most VA panels by quite a margin.
In the corners contrast is about 1000:1:
1629031284901.png

Not sure why the chart only goes up to 4342 (left) when the ealier measurement was 5066:1, maybe one was done in HDR mode and the other outside of it, or the chart wasn't at 150 cm/m2.

sRGB
The Aorus FV43U doesn't just have an sRGB mode; the osd also includes a separate color space setting with a few other modes in addition to sRGB, such as AdobeRGB and DCI-P3. Whether you use the color space setting or the separate sRGB mode, it makes little difference to the color deviation and with both options all other settings in the OSD are locked, except for the brightness. The FV43U's sRGB color space coverage is almost complete, while the Philips Momentum lags slightly behind. However, the color temperature of the Aorus is much too warm at 6085K, while the Philips provides a somewhat cooler light with 6796K. With the 559M1, Philips is much better off with regard to color and gray value deviation than the FV43U, which can also show visibly disturbing deviations.

Average color deviation in sRGB:
1629024683726.png

Color temp deviation from standard in sRGB:
1629024874369.png

At 6085K where 6504K is standard, it is safe to say the Aorus is not only warm in terms of physical temperature :) in sRGB, and in sRGB you only have brightness control so you'd have to try and use a custom mode to dial back the colors to get close to sRGB without the warm white balance. They didn't try that for the review to see how well it works.

When viewed at a 45 degree angle, only 25% of the brightness remains compared to a straight on view, performing worse than the other VAs in the test:
1629025129676.png

Not only does the brightness suffer a lot at wider viewing angles, the color reproduction is also violated, the review states: the deviation shoots up to a delta-E of about twenty, which results in clearly visible and disturbing color deviations.
Color deviation by viewing angle was a bit worse than the other VA panels in the test:
1629025369522.png

They found its uniformity disappointing, with the worst black point measured at 66% of its deepest black, and the worst white point measured at 74% of its brightest location.
white:
1629025551825.png

"The screen mainly has dark corners." White uniformity again:
1629031510819.png

black:
1629025574189.png

"The black uniformity is a bit better, with slightly less disturbing lighter or darker spots."

Power usage at 150 cd/m2 brightness:
1629025734838.png

My take from this review is: It's big and fast yet under €1000 and the price you pay for that is:
- overshoot (unless OD=Off is fast enough)
- uniformity, dark corners
- color accuracy, mostly in both sRGB modes
- viewing angles
- very high inputlag at lower refresh rates

UPDATE: Added chart with contrast for each section of the panel. The corners have IPS levels of contrast.
UPDATE: Added chart with white uniformity for each section of the panel.

Last edited:
Difference isn't big enough. Negligible. Returned the C1. Don't dim on me, never that.

On the contrary throwing 1500 every 3 years on tech that is annoying and needs to be babysat is something that would not make someone happy.
Whatever makes you happy man. I'm not happy with LCDs. 1500 bucks every few years is not something that would cause me any sort of financial difficulty, so I'm okay with spending that if I get a display I enjoy out of it.

1500 bucks every few years is not something that would cause me any sort of financial difficulty
Not many people with that kind of extra money. Edit: I for one would be worried sick and that's no fun.

Last edited:
Back