GIGABYTE AORUS FV43U 43 inch 4k 144 HDR1000 QLED monitor

Oh yea I have a deep desk bout 90cm and I have it right towards the end of the table. Quite comfortable with the size, get the full view without much neck turns

cool, I do have room to set it further back once I get my new glasses (this pandemic things sucks).

This monitor looking good. It might actually be even better than CX 48 in HDR. However response times, bgr subpixel and most importantly viewing angles will be a problem. It has 6518 native contrast ratio according to tomshardware which is crazy. VA can have great HDR potential but i guess viewing angle problems aren't fixable. I guess the market will opt for IPS with more miniled zones in the end.

How is local dimming ? is it annoying ? How is it in competitive games ? Input lag ?

Furik, I'm sorry, you should probably try to make your mind up at least a little bit first. Decide what your priorities are. The first half of your post equates to "Chronicles of my indecision". The second half asks 4 questions. The first is easily answered for yourself by doing some more reading. The second is entirely subjective. The third is the wrong question to ask and non specific. There are no detailed response time measurements yet beyond Tom's Hardware's blanket statement of 8ms that was already brought into question earlier in this thread. The fourth question is an unknown too because it requires rather specific equipment to measure and TFTCentral, RTINGS, and Prad.de haven't reviewed this monitor yet. So the answer to question 4 is going to be subjective and not that useful but people earlier in this thread have already commented on inputlag subjectively compared to other monitors.

It's the kind of post that could kill a thread so I hope it doesn't come to that. Nobody might know what to say to it or just not be willing to do your work for you. There's a lot of info in this thread and some more over on reddit in /r/monitors.

P.S. My very old user account disappeared into the void (none of my email addresses are being recognized) even though my old username is apparently still "in use", so I had to register with a new name. I have lurked these forums for God knows how long, probably over 15 years.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell the local dimming is done on-panel so it isn't even the backlight. I say this because I've had the local dimming mode error on me and cause the image to go full multicolour weird with associated "dimming" gradients rainbowing across the screen. If it happens again I'll grab footage.

This is what I'm trying to find out for certain. IF there are flawless panels out there I'm going to try getting onto Gigabyte about it.
Senn, what was your conclusion in this regard? (It was about the pixel row above text bleeding into the top of each letter.)

Last edited:
Senn, what was your conclusion in this regard? (It was about pixel lines bleeding into the line below for text.)
No certainty, unfortunately. Safe to say that everyone I've asked to test their panels are seeing the same error and it's common on other 43" monitors too.

The only thing I'm near certain about at this point is it can't be fixed in firmware. Someone over on Reddit said they got a message back from Gigabyte regarding the issue saying it's a "hardware limitation" and there's nothing they can do. The latter part may be true but this is a flaw, not a hardware limitation.

It's an annoying stain on an otherwise great monitor.

Who makes the panel that's in it, AUO most likely? Could be worth a shot to ask them about it.
Edit: looking at TFTCental's panel part database it pretty much has to be AUO.
Edit2: AUO's website makes it clear they simply won't interact with end users. The only way their contact form can be used to get the question out to them is by pretending I'm a (prospective) corporate client, e.g. a (Gigabyte) Product Manager but they're instantly going to be able to tell that's not the case by looking at the email address.

Last edited:
What that means ? I don't get it.
As in I believe it's not the backlight that dims. It stays at the same brightness while the panel's pixels simulate the effect of local dimming.

I'd like to be proved wrong here because it sounds insane. But that appears to be what the FV43U does.

Managed to capture some footage of the local dimming error on mine.

This doesn't always happen and I haven't pinned down what does make it happen. 4k 60Hz for reference, I still don't have a card that can go further.

Trippy! And speculative, because earlier in this thread in post #102:
only 8 dimming zones that consist of 4 vertical columns split between top and bottom half of the panel and there are some really questionable firmware choices with the major one being enabling local dimming locks you out of brightness control.

Let's get this monitor a proper lab review. On RTINGS' site there's a list of monitors you can vote on to determine which one they'll review next. The FV43U is in 9th position, so let's vote it to the top. We'll get super detailed response time charts, inputlag measurements, the whole nine yards. They cover local dimming too. Here's an example of one of their reviews. It takes 1 mouse click, no login/account required: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/suggestions

Last edited:
Trippy! And speculative, because earlier in this thread in post #102:

Let's get this monitor a proper lab review. On RTINGS' site there's a list of monitors you can vote on to determine which one they'll review next. The FV43U is in 9th position, so let's vote it to the top. We'll get super detailed response time charts, inputlag measurements, the whole nine yards. It takes 1 mouse click, no login/account required: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/suggestions

Done. Now that the line between TV and monitor is really blurring. I do wish rtings will do more monitor reviews (at least the large format ones).

Last edited:
As in I believe it's not the backlight that dims. It stays at the same brightness while the panel's pixels simulate the effect of local dimming.

I'd like to be proved wrong here because it sounds insane. But that appears to be what the FV43U does.

This doesn't always happen and I haven't pinned down what does make it happen. 4k 60Hz for reference, I still don't have a card that can go further.

This is an Edge lit backlight display, What mode is this happening on? are you running SDR or HDR? What GPU are you using and are you using HDMI or DP input?

I can't respond to everyone individually so I'll just say a few things.

I voted for the FV43U on rtings for it to try to be reviewed. Thanks for the link. Do they review monitors? I thought they were a TV review group? Either way I voted.

The corners of my panel don't have any issues. If you are having any that as you say are distracting you there may be a manufacturing defect & it may be worth swapping out to another panel if you notice anything abnormal. I have no dead pixels, no light bleed, nothing my human eye can detect on full black, or full white screens.

Viewing angles are perfect on my sample. I don't notice any "bad angle" or anything that my human eye can detect keeping in mind this is an actual monitor, not a TV, so I naturally do sit right in front of it give or take 25-30" inches on my large desk. The entire panel looks uniform & no portion of it looks off in any way. This is not a scientific result. It is my 20/20 vision just perceiving the display with over 30 years & dozens of monitors/tvs tested from crt to 4k to the 2021 oleds to lcd to ips to everything in between. I don't notice any issues at all with the FV43U & not bothered in any way. Maybe I hit the panel lottery for once lol cause lord knows I didn't hit it before with my last display as my Acer Predator while being an animal of a monitor for it's time, had a number of issues which I'm not even going to get into but the point I'm making is the FV43U doesn't have any. It's flawless in my opinion.

Response time is 7ms at 144hz at 2160p res. That is exactly as fast as my Predator is, but that was only a 1440p monitor, this is 7ms at 4k as measured on blurbusters. I play competitive online FPS games, I have my whole life. There is absolutely no noticeable ghosting, smearing, or input lag whatsoever. The panel is blazing fast with no issues at all. Nothing distracting. On the contrary the panel is brilliant, & performs exceptionally well on fast paced games and believe me I play the fastest twitch shooters which are all about ultra high speed movements.

BGR design has no noticeable issues for me. Text looks perfectly fine. I would never notice any issues using this monitor reading any type of text. I can't say that I notice anything, at all. Text is perfect to me & I can read it as well as I have read on any other monitor I have had. In fact I would say text is nice & sharp.

I do not use local dimming I manually turn off a lot of needless settings unless it is forced on by default, so I can't comment on it. Although the HDR on this panel is superb. I keep HDR on full time & love it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. Do they review monitors? I thought they were a TV review group?
You bet. And headphones, mice, keyboards, even vacuums and blenders.

With the sRGB color space (emulation mode) selected and active, are you then locked out of OSD settings and if so, which ones are you locked out of? (e.g. brightness, color balance..)

This is an Edge lit backlight display, What mode is this happening on? are you running SDR or HDR? What GPU are you using and are you using HDMI or DP input?
The specs say direct backlit. It wouldn't be the thick beast it is if it were just edge lit. This is SDR, DP, old GTX 750 Ti (yes, I know... upgrades are planned...)

But it's not the GPU - the problem goes away the instant I turn local dimming off as shown in the video. As I said it doesn't happen every time. I tried it again later that evening and it was just fine but I had done nothing to attempt to fix it in between. The only correlation I have found is that it only happens in the custom settings modes.

It hasn't bothered me because I don't like the local dimming implementation when it's working anyway - nowhere near enough "zones", and this strange error is still suggesting to me that it's not the backlight doing the work but the panel simulating it. If that's the case it's a complete waste of time.

I can't respond to everyone individually so I'll just say a few things.

I voted for the FV43U on rtings for it to try to be reviewed. Thanks for the link. Do they review monitors? I thought they were a TV review group? Either way I voted.

The corners of my panel don't have any issues. If you are having any that as you say are distracting you there may be a manufacturing defect & it may be worth swapping out to another panel if you notice anything abnormal. I have no dead pixels, no light bleed, nothing my human eye can detect on full black, or full white screens.

Viewing angles are perfect on my sample. I don't notice any "bad angle" or anything that my human eye can detect keeping in mind this is an actual monitor, not a TV, so I naturally do sit right in front of it give or take 25-30" inches on my large desk. The entire panel looks uniform & no portion of it looks off in any way. This is not a scientific result. It is my 20/20 vision just perceiving the display with over 30 years & dozens of monitors/tvs tested from crt to 4k to the 2021 oleds to lcd to ips to everything in between. I don't notice any issues at all with the FV43U & not bothered in any way. Maybe I hit the panel lottery for once lol cause lord knows I didn't hit it before with my last display as my Acer Predator while being an animal of a monitor for it's time, had a number of issues which I'm not even going to get into but the point I'm making is the FV43U doesn't have any. It's flawless in my opinion.

Response time is 7ms at 144hz at 2160p res. That is exactly as fast as my Predator is, but that was only a 1440p monitor, this is 7ms at 4k as measured on blurbusters. I play competitive online FPS games, I have my whole life. There is absolutely no noticeable ghosting, smearing, or input lag whatsoever. The panel is blazing fast with no issues at all. Nothing distracting. On the contrary the panel is brilliant, & performs exceptionally well on fast paced games and believe me I play the fastest twitch shooters which are all about ultra high speed movements.

BGR design has no noticeable issues for me. Text looks perfectly fine. I would never notice any issues using this monitor reading any type of text. I can't say that I notice anything, at all. Text is perfect to me & I can read it as well as I have read on any other monitor I have had. In fact I would say text is nice & sharp.

I do not use local dimming I manually turn off a lot of needless settings unless it is forced on by default, so I can't comment on it. Although the HDR on this panel is superb. I keep HDR on full time & love it.
You claim that text looks perfect... it won't be if the pixel interference issue exists on your panel no matter whether you notice it or not. Scaling beyond 100% does mostly mask the issue but aliased, anti-aliased, subpixel rendering... it's all affected.

Have you tried the test patterns at different points on the screen?

The specs say direct backlit. It wouldn't be the thick beast it is if it were just edge lit. This is SDR, DP, old GTX 750 Ti (yes, I know... upgrades are planned...)

But it's not the GPU - the problem goes away the instant I turn local dimming off as shown in the video. As I said it doesn't happen every time. I tried it again later that evening and it was just fine but I had done nothing to attempt to fix it in between. The only correlation I have found is that it only happens in the custom settings modes.

It hasn't bothered me because I don't like the local dimming implementation when it's working anyway - nowhere near enough "zones", and this strange error is still suggesting to me that it's not the backlight doing the work but the panel simulating it. If that's the case it's a complete waste of time.

Yea, But no body was able to find out the number of zones and then one of the 2 new reviews I linked called it an edge lit. And if you look up the definition of DIrect-Lit. It's say LED behind the screen but with no local dimming capability as otherwise they would call it FALD

Well, it may or may not be GPU related but I'll be back in the office tomorrow and give you local dimming setting a try.

From the mmorpg review:

"While the monitor offers a “local dimming” option, it doesn’t support a full-array backlight and is instead edge-lit. This increases contrast without pinpointing on-screen blacks the same way a FALD can. That said, when I reviewed the Predator X35 for IGN, the halo effect was so pronounced that it was distracting, so the edge-lit backlight is a rather welcome middle-ground."

Last edited:
Yea, But no body was able to find out the number of zones and then one of the 2 new reviews I linked called it an edge lit. Well, it may or may not be GPU related but I'll be back in the office tomorrow and give you local dimming setting a try.

From the mmorpg review:

"While the monitor offers a “local dimming” option, it doesn’t support a full-array backlight and is instead edge-lit. This increases contrast without pinpointing on-screen blacks the same way a FALD can. That said, when I reviewed the Predator X35 for IGN, the halo effect was so pronounced that it was distracting, so the edge-lit backlight is a rather welcome middle-ground."
Seems we need some proof either way, presumably through a teardown or just some really extensive analysis. Just because a direct backlight doesn't do local dimming in and of itself doesn't necessarily make the hardware automatically edge lit. I upgraded from an ancient Dell 24"er with a direct fluorescent backlight and it was a chunky thing like this is.

Looking forward to that in-depth RTINGS review if it happens, there are still a few unproven aspects to this thing.

I am not certain but this does look like a GPU artifacting issue that I have had before many years ago. Has this gpu ever done this before? Which GPU is it? ( I realize this may not be your video on youtube but another uploader with a different gpu? or Is this your video you uploaded to youtube?)I have never noticed anything like this on my FV43U.

Last edited:
You claim that text looks perfect... it won't be if the pixel interference issue exists on your panel no matter whether you notice it or not. Scaling beyond 100% does mostly mask the issue but aliased, anti-aliased, subpixel rendering... it's all affected.

Have you tried the test patterns at different points on the screen?

I tried my best to find white/grey on black background & black/grey on white background text images on google & I found these just for the sake of testing what you are asking about. At %100 scaling in windows and the image at It's native %100 size I can find absolutely no issues with text clarity. It looks as clear and perfect as any other text I have ever seen come across this monitor. I cannot find or reproduce any of the text issues you are mentioning. It looks very sharp & I am very happy with the results.

Attachments

• textwhitespace.jpg
    textwhitespace.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1w7acw3u2elFlB6qDTC_6bA-1.png
    1w7acw3u2elFlB6qDTC_6bA-1.png
    46 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I tried my best to find white/grey on black background & black/grey on white background text images on google & I found these just for the sake of testing what you are asking about. At %100 scaling in windows and the image at It's native %100 size I can find absolutely no issues with text clarity. It looks as clear and perfect as any other text I have ever seen come across this monitor. I cannot find or reproduce any of the text issues you are mentioning. It looks very sharp & I am very happy with the results.
By the test patterns I meant the ones I posted earlier in the thread. Apologies, I should have specified!

Edit:

FV43Ubug.png

By the test patterns I meant the ones I posted earlier in the thread. Apologies, I should have specified!

Edit:

View attachment 383101
Oh ok thanks. It looks perfectly fine to me. Very sharp. No issues. That font is not your basic font also I don't understand the text. Not that it matters, it looks perfect. Also the lined patterns on the bottom of either side look flawless also.

Oh ok thanks. It looks perfectly fine to me. Very sharp. No issues. That font is not your basic font also I don't understand the text. Not that it matters, it looks perfect. Also the lined patterns on the bottom of either side look flawless also.
The font is intentionally tiny and aliased to flag up the pixel interference issue. Is yours perfect at both the top and bottom of the panel? Top is always worse and make sure you're viewing at 1:1 at 4k also. The black side is more obvious as the flaw will make any pixel directly below black darker than it should be. The horizontal lines will go extremely dark at the top of the panel.

Photos would be handy here, this is exactly what I'm trying to prove one way or the other. If you have a perfect panel without the flaw this is evidence I want to communicate to Gigabyte in my case about this annoying issue.

I see what you are talking about. Looks acceptable to me. Your image looks worse than mine for some reason when I compare the two. I will also say that It would be a one in a million chance to replicate this issue maybe even go as far as saying it would actually NEVER happen because this aliased text is very rare, then top it off with black background, then with %100 percent scaling which is too small to read because unless I have binoculars on the text is smaller than an ant it is in fact tiny tiny pixelated font which is why windows recommends %150 scaling for this size monitor which works & looks best in pretty much every case scenario. So this is a non-issue for I would say %100 of the users of this display.

text test 1.png

I took it upon myself to create a black background with grey text sample image & it looks perfect. This is the same black background & the same grey tone text and it has no issues at 1.1 and %100 windows scaling at 2160p.

does this text look sharp.png

My question is can you replicate the way that particular font looks on the FV43U in any other user case scenario? Or would it be impossible? Because I don't think It is an issue or flaw at all in my opinion. If you didn't present that exact font (which I've never seen before) I honestly believe I would never in a million years be able to see this scenario. Also I don't use (I don't think anyone else uses either) %100 scaling on this size monitor because even with my perfect vision It is just uncomfortable small to see itty bitty tiny text, it strains the eyes & is much more comforatble at 125 or perfect size at 150.

My conclusion is it is not an issue for me. I have never seen that rare aliased font online & almost certainly never will. If you want to return your panel or message Gigabyte about it that is up to you to decide. I can't say that I would understand or even begin to entertain the possibility of this being an issue by any stretch of my imagination.

Alright, I'll unfortunately have to chalk that one up as another person who has the issue but doesn't care.

So this is a non-issue for I would say %100 of the users of this display.

Glad to know I don't count! I'm super happy with almost every other aspect of the monitor and I get why someone would be excited to own it but this issue is undeniably a flaw of the panel and it happens on everything, not just this tiny demo text which is exaggerated purely for the purpose of easily seeing if it happens or not.

Some things show it, a lot of things completely mask it, but it's there.

I'll probably have to give up on this as no one else, Gigabyte included, is concerned that these expensive panels have such a fundamental visual flaw that isn't representing the input signal as it should be.

Haha no no sorry you are right let me correct myself, %99.99 of the users would never notice or care because it is basically impossible to replicate ("happens on everything" more like happens on nothing lol) that rare text with black background and an aliased grey text or image lol.

Does anyone else have an issue where the whole screen randomly goes black for a few seconds, then comes back? This only happens to me when I am using my desktop computer over display port. I have zero issues with my laptop on USB-C. Its really irritating in games. (GPU is Gigabyte 1080, output is set to display port 4K @ 120Hz)
Yes, this happens to me too. Usually when I exit a game or movie. It’s annoying but only lasts for a few seconds.

Does anyone else have an issue where the whole screen randomly goes black for a few seconds, then comes back? This only happens to me when I am using my desktop computer over display port. I have zero issues with my laptop on USB-C. Its really irritating in games. (GPU is Gigabyte 1080, output is set to display port 4K @ 120Hz)

No not randomly. That would definitely be an issue.
Yes, this happens to me too. Usually when I exit a game or movie. It’s annoying but only lasts for a few seconds.
This is common when exiting a game or changing resolution of a display setting etc. Some monitors are faster, some are a bit slower. My panel takes about 1 full second to go back to desktop after exiting a game. No biggie.

Haha no no sorry you are right let me correct myself, %99.99 of the users would never notice or care because it is basically impossible to replicate ("happens on everything" more like happens on nothing lol) that rare text with black background and an aliased grey text or image lol.
So I come on here to flag up an issue that obviously exists, trying to find out if others have it so we can let the manufacturer know it's an issue and find out if it can be remedied, but get shat on because I care about a flaw in an expensive product.

This is purchase justification at its finest.

Sorry I ever said anything.

Let evidence speak for itself, then everyone can decide for themselves if it's important to them or not. To that effect, I have a question:

I see what you are talking about. Looks acceptable to me. Your image looks worse than mine for some reason when I compare the two. I will also say that It would be a one in a million chance to replicate this issue maybe even go as far as saying it would actually NEVER happen because this aliased text is very rare, then top it off with black background, then with %100 percent scaling which is too small to read because unless I have binoculars on the text is smaller than an ant it is in fact tiny tiny pixelated font which is why windows recommends %150 scaling for this size monitor which works & looks best in pretty much every case scenario. So this is a non-issue for I would say %100 of the users of this display.

View attachment 383115
The image that follows directly after (first one of the two in your post #745) looks like a screenshot to me, instead of a photo. Is it?

My previous question got snowed under by other replies so I'll repeat it and I hope one of you can answer it for me, as it hasn't been covered in the reviews that exist.
"With the sRGB color space (emulation mode) selected and active, are you then locked out of OSD settings and if so, which ones are you locked out of? (e.g. brightness, color balance..)"
A usable sRGB mode or not is going to factor into my purchasing decision bigtime. I've had a wide gamut monitor before that didn't have an sRGB mode at all, used it for 13 years and it was an annoyance for 13 years.

Last edited:
So I come on here to flag up an issue that obviously exists, trying to find out if others have it so we can let the manufacturer know it's an issue and find out if it can be remedied, but get shat on because I care about a flaw in an expensive product.

Fwiw i appreciate you pointing it out and while its not a big effect that i notice day to day i can understand how this might effect other areas than the test pattern. Keep up the good fight

Oh no on the contrary I definitely appreciate you bringing it up, I'm sure everyone else appreciates it also. I really wanted to see for myself. Now after seeing it, It's definitely nothing I am concerned about and not anything I would even think twice about. In fact the only reason I am on this forum is to help others. I even took it a step further to investigate & I tried to replicate that black on grey but couldn't just for the sake of more information to share on these forums. This is not purchase justification lol this is just further confirmation that after all the potential issues posted about this monitor are negligible & a non-issue for me in %100 of my usage even doing work, reading, editing, gaming etc the FV43U is definitely the best all around monitor in my opinion.

Let evidence speak for itself, then everyone can decide for themselves if it's important to them or not. To that effect, I have a question:

The image that follows directly after looks like a screenshot to me, instead of a photo. Is it?

My previous question got snowed under by other replies so I'll repeat it and I hope one of you can answer it for me, as it hasn't been covered in the reviews that exist.
"With the sRGB color space (emulation mode) selected and active, are you then locked out of OSD settings and if so, which ones are you locked out of? (e.g. brightness, color balance..)"
A usable sRGB mode or not is going to factor into my purchasing decision bigtime. I've had a wide gamut monitor before that didn't have an sRGB mode at all, used it for 13 years and it was an annoyance for 13 years.
Everything but Brightness in the Picture settings section is greyed out in sRGB for me, along with Black Equaliser greying out in the Gaming section.

It's probably possible to calibrate the monitor to sRGB yourself using the custom modes, allowing all those settings to be used again.

Oh no on the contrary I definitely appreciate you bringing it up, I'm sure everyone else appreciates it also. I really wanted to see for myself. Now after seeing it, It's definitely nothing I am concerned about and not anything I would even think twice about. In fact the only reason I am on this forum is to help others. I even took it a step further to investigate & I tried to replicate that black on grey but couldn't just for the sake of more information to share on these forums. This is not purchase justification lol this is just further confirmation that after all the potential issues posted about this monitor are negligible & a non-issue for me in %100 of my usage even doing work, reading, editing, gaming etc the FV43U is definitely the best all around monitor in my opinion.
Didn't come across that way, with all the lolling. I'll take your word for it though.

Also yes, you posted a screenshot of the test image rather than a photo. An actual photo of that image being shown near or at the top of your panel is the only way to show it to others.

Didn't come across that way, with all the lolling. I'll take your word for it though.

Also yes, you posted a screenshot of the test image rather than a photo. An actual photo of that image being shown near or at the top of your panel is the only way to show it to others.
Here you go a terrible/blurry phone photo as proof. Doesn't bother me at all. Looks fine to me. I mean I'm just being honest lol
20210809_141154.jpg

Here you go a terrible/blurry phone photo as proof. Doesn't bother me at all. Looks fine to me. I mean I'm just being honest lol
View attachment 383193
That isn't 1:1, it's being scaled. Mine looks like that at anything beyond 100% scaling... it needs to be pixel-accurate or it won't show what it's intended to show.

You want more evidence? Here you go. Looks good lol definitely nothing more for me to chime in about on this particular case. It is %100 a non-issue for me hehe.

20210809_142857.jpg

You want more evidence? Here you go. Looks good lol definitely nothing more for me to chime in about on this particular case. It is %100 a non-issue for me hehe.

View attachment 383194
I can see it's being scaled somehow because the horizontal lines aren't even all the same thickness. Telltale sign of non-integer scaling. Are you sure you haven't set your browser to scale it?

Scaled:
20210809_223221.jpg

Not scaled:
20210809_223304.jpg

Back