GIGABYTE AORUS FV43U 43 inch 4k 144 HDR1000 QLED monitor

Screenshots will only capture what the image is supposed to be in the first place. Not what a defective panel will show.

Also your photo looks like the image is too big? The image needs to be viewed at its native size, no scaling.

OK seems it was auto zooming in my new tab.
This should be 100% zoom. I do have my desktop scaling in windows at 125%
20210731_163726 (1).jpg

And this is with windows at 100% scaling. With no windows scaling it looks closer to me to what your example shows but do people actually run 100%? its too small imho

20210731_164648.jpg

And this is with windows at 100% scaling. With no windows scaling it looks closer to me to what your example shows but do people actually run 100%? its too small imho

View attachment 380274
At 100% scaling it should be sharp. If it isn't that points to an issue with the display and that is going to have some effect on the image quality even if you do use scaling.

View attachment 380274
This is indeed showing the same symptoms as mine. As to your question about 100% scaling, that's why I bought this screen in the first place. I wanted the productivity real estate at 4k without having to scale (which reduces working space) so went for a 43" beast. Unfortunately this panel flaw is putting a huge dent in that usefulness as it rears its ugly head all the time in CAD work.

At 100% scaling, did you test the image both at the top and bottom of the screen? It's worse at the top for me, with horizontal lines appearing very dark. The effect is minimal at the bottom.

Last edited:
Here I will let you be the judge of the differences based on position

Top of screen

top.jpg

Middle of screen:
middle.jpg

Bottom of Screen:
bottom.jpg

For what
At 100% scaling it should be sharp. If it isn't that points to an issue with the display and that is going to have some effect on the image quality even if you do use scaling.

For what It's worth I understand what you guys are saying but it does not affect me in my use case scenario. I use this for work 8+ hours a day working with CRM's and spreadsheets as well as a lot of forum reading etc.
I do not experience any issues reading text but I would agree the clarity in this regard is not quite as good as it was on my 43" IPS panel I had previously.
I occasionally play games and watch a lot of streaming content as well so I wanted an all rounder for my use case scenario. As you suggest there may be some implications on image quality but I can not detect them for my use case and things look great and I have enjoyed this monitor for the month or so that I have had it. I can also understand that for some use case scenarios something like this might be unacceptable.
I don't think there is such a thing as the "perfect" panel so it is a matter of finding what will work best for you and your usage. Maybe this is unacceptable for CAD work IDK since i don't do that.

Thanks for the photos, it's proof enough that I'm not alone in the panel issue so I appreciate it greatly. It's great if your use case allows you to look past the flaw (I can't see it in games which is obviously another reason I got the screen) but I just can't unsee it in everything else. It affects all text clarity as text tends to be antialiased and white backgrounds on websites are making the tops of letters too light. It's painfully obvious in the aforementioned CAD work and there is seemingly no fix as all devices, all ports and all resolutions show the issue. If you know what to look for, it also affects the OSD so it's not the screen's scaling algorithms, it's panel side and probably a hardware fault. I'm going to wait on Gigabyte's response before making a final decision.

For shits and giggles and also to give you a good idea of how much of an effect my shitty camera has on this equation i just went and snapped the same shot on my original panel which is a 43" LG UD79B (IPS) This is from the middle of the screen:
LGUD79B.jpg

And there's a fine example of what it should look like!

I'm honestly baffled how this got through testing. Makes me doubt the testing done.

But in the IPS I am seeing a lot of blooming around the text which also causes it to look blurrier and the blacks to look worse imho

That's just intrinsic to that panel I would assume, rather than a fault. At a guess, the pixel-below interference seen on the FV43U could be something to do with the board sending the voltages to the pixels themselves. I have my doubts whether this could be fixed in firmware but like I said, the response from Gigabyte will be telling... assuming they actually look into it properly. I sent them the very same image people are testing here and told them how to test it.

And there's a fine example of what it should look like!

I'm honestly baffled how this got through testing. Makes me doubt the testing done.

Nature of the viewing angle of a VA compared to the IPS probably have something to do with this. I have not been back to the office since I saw your post so I couldn't help check it on the FV43U but here's some shot on the Acer CG437K for comparison.

IMG_9383.jpg

Bottom

IMG_9381.jpg

Middle

IMG_9382.jpg

Shot on a iPhone 12

Last edited:
It's not the viewing angle. I've made sure to be square on in all testing I've done to eliminate that as a problem. I fully understand and expected the downsides of VA when I bought this screen and I'm plenty willing to accept them in trade for the benefits of it. This interference issue is certainly unrelated.

It's not the viewing angle. I've made sure to be square on in all testing I've done to eliminate that as a problem. I fully understand and expected the downsides of VA when I bought this screen and I'm plenty willing to accept them in trade for the benefits of it. This interference issue is certainly unrelated.

Since it looks like it's happening on a CG437K also. It probably still got something to do with the nature of a VA compared to IPS even if it's not viewing angle. Maybe the BRG pixel arrangement? Is there a thread here on the ASUS XG438Q or the PG43UQ, maybe post your pattern over there and see.

I have other VA panels and they don't do this. I have tried to capture an animation of it, a bar of the same colour as the text moving down over it. You can see that if there is black directly above a pixel, it is darker than those with the grey above them. This isn't a VA problem.

SmartSelect_20210801-192733_Camera.gif

I have other VA panels and they don't do this. I have tried to capture an animation of it, a bar of the same colour as the text moving down over it. You can see that if there is black directly above a pixel, it is darker than those with the grey above them. This isn't a VA problem.

View attachment 380503

Then it's common on all the 43" HDR1000 VA then as I believe all of them came from the same panel supplier. Your only hope for a 43" is probably try the ASUS XG438Q which is a HDR600 panel or wait for the ASUS XG43UQ, Acer CG437KS due before the end of the year which is a newer panel.

One more question. Does this happen in both SDR and HDR mode?

Last edited:
I tried the PS5 in HDR and the screen set itself to HDR1000, still shows the problem. It's completely unavoidable and if it's on all the current 43"ers out there right now I am blown away at how this is getting past QA. I don't expect to pay a grand or more on a screen and get a flaw that has been out in the wild for a few years now.

I tried the PS5 in HDR and the screen set itself to HDR1000, still shows the problem. It's completely unavoidable and if it's on all the current 43"ers out there right now I am blown away at how this is getting past QA. I don't expect to pay a grand or more on a screen and get a flaw that has been out in the wild for a few years now.

It's not a matter of passing QA. I would say the manufacturer knows that this is a problem that'll be experienced by less than 1% of the user base so they decided to release the product. This is a product that's aimed at the gaming market and not the professional market. I used my CG437K for over 18 months and it has not impact my day to day work and gaming and I run native at 100% by default.

Senn, text issues completely aside, do you have any other complaints about the FV43U?

Nope, outside of this issue I do love it and hearing suggestions that all the other 43" class (at least of the HDR 1000 variety) also have this problem is simultaneously reassuring and highly disappointing. No such thing as a perfect display.

On the other hand this is an expensive piece of relatively high end kit. It's a monitor, and monitors are supposed to show the signal you send to them without modification to the best of their ability unless the user changes specific settings. This panel is clearly changing the image and it's completely out of my control. I completely agree that if I was using this 100% as a gaming monitor it wouldn't have been such a problem. But I bought it as an all-rounder and it's still a lot of money to spend on a monitor. Wherever the fault lies, the manufacturer doesn't deserve a get-out just because it's not aimed at a certain use case. It should be capable of displaying what I send to it without error, but it isn't.

How does text look other than that same test image you are showing? Is it on any & all text? Can you replicate it on any text? or is it just on specific examples?

Also, is local dimming turned off? any other setting in the OSD that might interfere?

How to Solve Text Clarity Issues on BGR Monitors​

Most of the solutions are already built into your OS so you shouldn’t worry about living with fuzzy text for as long as you have a BGR monitor.

Solution 1: Adjust ClearType Text​

The first solution you should try is to input Adjust ClearType in the search bar next to the Windows button and run it. The application will show some examples of text which you can choose from based on which looks cleaner and sharper to you. It will then apply the correct anti-aliasing for your screen’s sub-pixel layout and clear up those letters.

However, one downside is that ClearType will only affect compatible programs, so some like Google Chrome will now follow your settings. Some games won’t be affected as well, but common apps where blurry text is the main problem like Office 365 are compatible.

Solution 2: Use Scaling​

Using your OS’ scaling capability isn’t bound by software limitations like ClearType, so it’s a better solution for browsers and games. Scaling enlarges text, so they become more legible, sharper, and less straining on your eyes. However, the downside here is you lose some screen space since scaling is essentially like zooming in.

Solution 3: Flip Your Screen​

This probably the weirdest solution here, but flipping your monitor and its display’s orientation will also turn your BGR subpixel layout into RGB. It’s effective, but it also has the most downsides out of the three starting with the weird look of your monitor. it’s unsettling to see your bottom bezel on top with the brand logo upside down, especially if you have a three-sided frameless monitor.

Your ports will also be upside down, so reworking cable management can be tricky since most wires, especially the video input ones, aren’t very flexible. But the biggest issues with flipping your monitor is you lose your Adaptive Sync functionality while input lag can become higher. It’s not a problem for regular use or daily tasks, but gamers will dislike the monitor’s performance, guaranteed.

Solution 4: Adjust Sharpness Settings in the Monitor’s OSD​

Some monitors have a sharpness setting in their software that you can use to help cope with the BGR issue. However, images or videos might be affected and look exaggerated, so again, its usability is on a case-to-case basis.

Don't get me wrong here, I appreciate the help, but trust me when I say I've changed every on-screen setting I possibly can, flipped subpixel rendering from RGB to BGR on both Windows and Linux, turned off subpixel rendering entirely, and played around with OS scaling even though I'd rather not (this simply masks the issue it doesn't eliminate it).

This is not a BGR issue, it's pixel row interference. Any row of pixels directly affects the row below it, it's just most painfully obvious when using grey on black or grey on white. The panel being BGR or RGB isn't going to change it and flipping the monitor upside down will do nothing but turn the issue upside down - rows will affect those above them instead.

I mentioned in a previous post that it also affects the OSD. It's got nothing to do with the incoming signal or the order of the subpixels. It's happening at the very last stage before pixels are set to a colour so I'm still guessing it's the chip that sends the voltages to the panel that is at fault.

You are not wrong for wanting it to be perfect, I understand.

At the same time, I don't think It would bother me at all if this is the only issue & it only shows up when there is the color grey involved in text.

I would go as far as saying that would be the least of my worries, which is good.

If you need to look at grey text I understand fully. I just think I will never read grey text. I can't remember If I have ever seen grey text to be honest.

If you're using any form of text anti aliasing like ClearType or the default macOS text rendering then grey will show up in black text all the time, it's part of it. Same for white on black or just about anything on anything. The clarity decreases significantly as I glance up the panel due to each row interfering with the one below it. I also find non-black text (usually a shade of grey) more common on websites than you'd think which just amplifies the problem. So this issue is everywhere, you just haven't noticed it. As shown by all photos so far, it's worse towards the top.

Considering the MSRP of the current crop of 43" PC monitors, a panel that can display what I send to it without modification should be priority number one in my opinion. I can only envy those who spend this much and can then look past an image flaw that isn't part of your usual VA/BGR deal.

Such fundamentally flawed panels should not be finding their way into these expensive products no matter their target market or use case. But that's just my opinion.

This is a good find and good for people to be aware of. I hadn’t noticed it in a few weeks of productivity use, programming and gaming, but we all have our personal bugaboos. Given all the different issues with various high end monitors you realize all displays are a compromise and this particular compromise is fine by me, given the options. My advice is if this bothers you to return it while you are in the return period.

I have been using the FV43U for a few days and I must say it's a good monitor for gaming and all the issues I mentioned earlier plus deformed image on the left side made my choice simple. I've decided to try LG C1 48" and I love it. I know all the risk of burn in but if I can get the best quality possible even for a few years, that's the risk I'm ready to take. I use it in a quite dark room with brightness and OLED pixel brightness set both to 40 and energy saving set to minimum - this is optimal brightness for me and I've spent 12 hours today in front of this screen - guess what - absolutely no eye strain, I feel like I had completely no screen time today which really came as surprise to me as I was always tired after 8 hours of working.

Now that I checked out some videos, games etc - honestly I wouldn't go back to FV43U, no way. The worst issue for me was text clarity, I couldn't find a seeting that would be acceptable for me but on LG 48" text looks much, much better. Everything is sharp and I managed to push it back mounted on a stand (not the one included - I've bout swivelable one) and I sit around 35" from the screen and I absolutely love it.

I have been using the FV43U for a few days and I must say it's a good monitor for gaming and all the issues I mentioned earlier plus deformed image on the left side made my choice simple. I've decided to try LG C1 48" and I love it. I know all the risk of burn in but if I can get the best quality possible even for a few years, that's the risk I'm ready to take. I use it in a quite dark room with brightness and OLED pixel brightness set both to 40 and energy saving set to minimum - this is optimal brightness for me and I've spent 12 hours today in front of this screen - guess what - absolutely no eye strain, I feel like I had completely no screen time today which really came as surprise to me as I was always tired after 8 hours of working.

Now that I checked out some videos, games etc - honestly I wouldn't go back to FV43U, no way. The worst issue for me was text clarity, I couldn't find a seeting that would be acceptable for me but on LG 48" text looks much, much better. Everything is sharp and I managed to push it back mounted on a stand (not the one included - I've bout swivelable one) and I sit around 35" from the screen and I absolutely love it.
Lol I did the exact opposite of you. Returned the C1 & ordered the FV43U. Only difference for me there is a possibility I will not be happy enough with either of them & end up returning both. If that is the case I will just wait for "the next best thing" in the future. Thank goodness for free returns & free return shipping or all of this "trying" out displays would be a nightmare, but for free I have nothing to lose & information/experience to gain.

Cheers to your C1 though. All that matters is if it fits your wants/needs.

If the whole pixel lifespan thing on OLED could be solved I'd be right on that. Probably would have picked the FO48U instead of the FV43U. Not that I have the space for it...

Going to have to wait a tortoise lifetime for MicroLED I guess.

Wait a minute, this panel supports 4:4:4 fully with displayport correct? If It's 4:2:0 ( gear seekers claims It's only 4:2:0 on hdmi 2.1) it could be an instant return. Anyone confirm please?

Wait a minute, this panel supports 4:4:4 fully with displayport correct? If It's 4:2:0 ( gear seekers claims It's only 4:2:0 on hdmi 2.1) it could be an instant return. Anyone confirm please?

I can do 4K@144 10bit RGB full on DP1.4 with DSC from my 2080/3080.

HDMI 2.1 would depends on source. PC uses the full 48Gbps while some have reported that PS5 and Xbox X only support 32Gbps so it can only do 4:2:2. watch this

Last edited:
I just tried a test pattern and noticed no distortion in any of the text so it should be 4:4:4 with displayport

I use this test.
Testing for chroma subsampling is very easy. Just open up the test pattern in Windows Paint using a PC, then observe it and check if any of the lines and text are blurred together.

If none of the text blends together and shows artifacting, then the TV and mode you are using does not use chroma compression and is showing chroma 4:4:4.

It's also important to make sure that Windows scaling is set to 100%. With larger, high-resolution monitors it is common for Windows to scale UI elements at 150% or more, and this can cause false positives when testing for Chroma Subsampling.

Attachments

• chroma-444.png
    chroma-444.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 0
I can do 4K@144 10bit RGB full on DP1.4 with DSC from my 2080/3080.

HDMI 2.1 would depends on source. PC uses the full 48Gbps while some have reported that PS5 and Xbox X only support 32Gbps so it can only do 4:2:2. watch this

Thank you for confirming.

Here I just took a picture of it with Displayport and with HDMI. (yes I set my scaling to 100% in windows for this) Definitlly not 4:4:4 with HDMI as it looks like shit

First Image is my displayport
20210802_191028.jpg

And this is the HDMI from my work laptop:
20210802_192056.jpg

Back