GIGABYTE AORUS FV43U 43 inch 4k 144 HDR1000 QLED monitor

I have a Series X connected to my FV43U. I've only owned the Series X for two days, but as far as I can tell it is HDMI 2.1. I have mines running at 4K 120Hz 10bit.

How do I see if it's full chroma 4:4:4?

When you connect the XSX with HDMI ,the Display settings on the Xbox menu shows the capabilities of the monitor and allows you to choose appropriately .

When you connect the XSX with HDMI ,the Display settings on the Xbox menu shows the capabilities of the monitor and allows you to choose appropriately .
This is what I see. Does it mean it's 4:4:4?

Attachments

• IMG_20210704_081204.jpg
    IMG_20210704_081204.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 0
It says "allow" and the box is unchecked. Doesn't that mean I'm not allowing 4:2:2 and it's running 4:4:4?

This is my QLED R70 , notice 120hz is not supported (HDMI 2.0) not even in 4:2:2
If you can run 4K, 120hz and not have to use allow 4:2:2 then it should be good.

1625414761917.png

two things

1. did you update the firmware of the TV?

2. LG's TVs in game mode, have input lag as low as most monitors. I'm betting the difference you are feeling, is due to size and not actual input lag. A larger display will feel slower, due to how we perceive the motion of a larger picture. Its why esports players use 27, 25, 24 inch monitors. It takes less time for something to move across a 24 inch screen, than a 50 inch screen. A cursor movement of one inch on a 24 inch screen is going to be much further, on a 50 inch. etc.
I understand that. I've competitively gamed on tvs from 32-65 inches. One of the buggers for TVs in general though is that PQ modes will affect input lag. I have to have the TV in Sports mode to enjoy the slightly hyped colors and better brightness in games like Destiny 2. That raises the input lag in PC mode from around 7ms to at least 11-14ms. Still PLENTY playable but it is a difference that affects some of us.

All of that said, I ended up keeping the LG :)

two things

1. did you update the firmware of the TV?

2. LG's TVs in game mode, have input lag as low as most monitors. I'm betting the difference you are feeling, is due to size and not actual input lag. A larger display will feel slower, due to how we perceive the motion of a larger picture. Its why esports players use 27, 25, 24 inch monitors. It takes less time for something to move across a 24 inch screen, than a 50 inch screen. A cursor movement of one inch on a 24 inch screen is going to be much further, on a 50 inch. etc.
That's not how it works. There is no time difference in how long it takes for something to move across the screen. If you use a 24" 4K screen with the same specs as a 48" 4K screen then move the cursor across the screen it will take exactly the same time. Or how an animated ball jumps across the screen (if you want an example with no user control).

eSports players prefer smaller monitors mainly because it's easier to see your HUD and all the action with a smaller screen at once plus most 1080p/1440p 240+ Hz screens come in those sizes. For example if I play Doom Eternal on my LG CX 48" I definitely have to look around a bit to see my ammo, health and whatnot which can be a bit of a detriment but generally playing the game is no problem as long as you are in game mode. It's very responsive.

I received the monitor today and the right mounting side is defective and does not align with the mounting holes of the bracket.
Tried both brackets with same result.
Lest side slot is ok.
Bad quality control.
Monitor already returned.

Attachments

• IMG_20210705_131351.jpg
    IMG_20210705_131351.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 0
You sound really upset.

Least you could have done is just sat it up temporarily with the weight of the display to hold the leg in place and give it a try to see if you like it.

You sound really upset.

Least you could have done is just sat it up temporarily with the weight of the display to hold the leg in place and give it a try to see if you like it.
I know I was really upset with mine as well. I had dirt under the screen and some dead pixels. I was so ticked I immediately boxed it up and sent it back to NewEgg, didn't really even bother playing with it too much. It seemed awesome, but there's clearly some QC issues with these monitors.

I received the monitor today and the right mounting side is defective and does not align with the mounting holes of the bracket.
Lest side slot is ok.
Bad quality control.
Mine has the same issue....and I didn't care. Monitor is awesome.

I returned the monitor cause I was sure I will not keep it.
I ordered it again and will have it in 3 days I hope.

Why are monitor QC so bad. It does not matter if it's $100 or $3k+, most seem to suffer from bad quality control. Imagine if CPU or GPU QC was as bad as monitors. I personally don't know why consumers put up with it.

Why are monitor QC so bad. It does not matter if it's $100 or $3k+, most seem to suffer from bad quality control. Imagine if CPU or GPU QC was as bad as monitors. I personally don't know why consumers put up with it.
The answer to this question and those like it is always money. Aorus isn't making these monitors. They contract it out to some Chinese OEM and have them slap an AORUS logo on it. The Chinese OEM buys the panels from AUO or Samsung or Innolux or whoever makes the panel. They get paid a fixed amount per unit by Aorus so they want to make the costs as low as possible. So they accept a lower standard of panels from the panel maker (who would charge more per panel if they had to send only A++ grade panels). That means the OEM will receive some number of defective panels, which they aren't going to eat the cost on to throw out. Then the OEM builds the monitors to a cheap standard themselves so there will be defects in the housing, circuitry, or firmware. The monitors get tested to see if they turn on by the OEM and if they pass a diagnostic test and little else. I would be surprised if a human ever actually looks at it during QC. From the OEM the monitors go straight to retailers or distributors. Aorus never receives them so they can't do QC on them.

So the answer is that every party involved in making these monitors is cutting costs and therefore accepts substandard components from the entity ahead of them in the chain. And for Aorus, its cheaper for them to let thousands of defective units go out the door. Many times they don't even need to eat much of a loss for returns because the retailer will just resell it open-box (or worse, as new) until someone too lazy or uncaring to return it gets it.

The mistake people here make is assuming a monitor is built like a premium product because it costs a lot. That isn't the case. Monitor prices bear no relation to their quality. Its a cartel with only a few panel-makers who can make the cutting edge panels and they participate in price fixing and trickling out of new features slowly to extract the maximum number of upgrade purchases.

It says "allow" and the box is unchecked. Doesn't that mean I'm not allowing 4:2:2 and it's running 4:4:4?
Allow 4:2:2 makes a connected display with HDMI 2.0 run at 8-bit YCbCr 4:2:2 color when playing HDR content. Leaving it unchecked makes the display run at 10-bit YCbCr 4:2:0 color with HDR. For HDR it is more important that color depth is at 10-bit, so leave "Allow 4:2:2" unchecked. If you have an HDMI 2.1 display attached that supports 32Gbps bandwidth or greater then this setting should have no effect, but I'd leave it unchecked anyway.

Lest side slot is ok.
Bad quality control.

Mine has the same issue....and I didn't care. Monitor is awesome.

The mounting leg is keyed to one side, they're not identical, the one with this marking is on the left.

IMG_9251.jpg

Last edited:
Is mine the only one doing this? Do I need to return it?

Seems like the diffuser is separating on the right side of the screen.

20210706_180359604_iOS.jpg
20210706_200139559_iOS.jpg

Is mine the only one doing this? Do I need to return it?

Seems like the diffuser is separating on the right side of the screen.

View attachment 372486View attachment 372487
Wow. Some of the other issues in this thread are typical of panel lottery, but this is completely unacceptable. I don't think I have ever seen or heard about this happening on a brand new monitor.

I agree, return it. The QC issues with monitors is just ridiculous. We need to keep returning these until the companies get their act together.

I'm not sure how to describe it, but during fast, frantic mouse movement spinning, it felt as if I could see vertical lines bleeding into the image.

I notice this occasionally as well, it almost looks like the screen door effect on lowish-res VR, but only on the Y axis. It's not enough to bother me, but I'm glad that someone else mentioned it so I know I'm not totally nuts.

I've grown to like my FV43U more with time, and after a few weeks I think I'm starting to really dial it in to my preferences. I use it probably (...jesus christ) 15+ hours a day: lots of office work, some youtube, lots of web browsing, some gaming, and some hobbyist CAD work. It's not perfect, but it is a huge step up over the ~$500 LG 43" panel I was using. If I had paid $1500+ for this I might not be so thrilled but for ~1000 I'm happy. I hope that some day we have good 43" OLED options and I hope that this display lasts until then.

Sucks to hear that so many people are having QA issues. I do hope that Gigabyte keeps updating the firmware because the display still has some weird quirks that can be annoying. I did notice a small bit of debris under the screen but luckily it's tiny and down in a corner. More power to the people returning these for QA issues - it's about the only way to say anything the manufacturers will listen to.

Last edited:
I notice this occasionally as well, it almost looks like the screen door effect on lowish-res VR, but only on the Y axis. It's not enough to bother me, but I'm glad that someone else mentioned it so I know I'm not totally nuts.

Any idea what could be causing this? During the brief time I had the monitor before I sent it back for a replacement, it was annoying when the monitor was postioned close to my face. I think moving the monitor further back on my desk might help a bit. I like how you mentioned that it resembles the screen door effect on VR but only vertically, that's a very accurate description. Has anyone else encountered this and and ideas on what the offical name for it is or what causes it?

Any idea what could be causing this? During the brief time I had the monitor before I sent it back for a replacement, it was annoying when the monitor was postioned close to my face. I think moving the monitor further back on my desk might help a bit. I like how you mentioned that it resembles the screen door effect on VR but only vertically, that's a very accurate description. Has anyone else encountered this and and ideas on what the offical name for it is or what causes it?
I'm not really informed enough on LCD tech to make a call. My totally uninformed guess would be that the BGR subpixel layout has something to do with it, only because I've never seen this before now and this is my first BGR panel. It might also be an artifact of some "feature" of the monitor, but I haven't mess around enough with all the settings enough to stumble upon any correalation. I really notice it most on 3d games with lots of white on the screen. I first noticed it while running around snowy areas in Horizon Zero Dawn, for example.

I'm not really informed enough on LCD tech to make a call. My totally uninformed guess would be that the BGR subpixel layout has something to do with it, only because I've never seen this before now and this is my first BGR panel. It might also be an artifact of some "feature" of the monitor, but I haven't mess around enough with all the settings enough to stumble upon any correalation. I really notice it most on 3d games with lots of white on the screen. I first noticed it while running around snowy areas in Horizon Zero Dawn, for example.
I'm pretty sure you are correct that this is an artifact of the BGR pixel format.

Starting to have 2nd thoughts as I wait my monitor to arrive.
Bought this for gaming use exclusively with my plan to keep my 55'' TV for movies.
Now I start to realize that having two big screens in the same living room can be problem.
Even esthetically.
So I am thinking to keep the Aorus, after trying it off course, as an all rounder.

How is your Aorus performing in movies or Netflix?
Any major concerns?
Is the lack of 24p support a deal breaker?

ps: I went through the whole thread and found out that no 24p support affects only external devices(dvd, Blu-ray players etc.)
So VLC and Netflix should not be affected!

Last edited:
Any major concerns?

I use this as both monitor and primary "tv"
My place is small so my couch is behind my desk. I watch a lot of streaming on netflix, prime and crunchroll and it looks good to me. Cant speak to content like blueray as i dont have that.

Starting to have 2nd thoughts as I wait my monitor to arrive.
Bought this for gaming use exclusively with my plan to keep my 55'' TV for movies.
Now I start to realize that having two big screens in the same living room can be problem.
Even esthetically.
So I am thinking to keep the Aorus, after trying it off course, as an all rounder.

Any major concerns?

ps: I went through the whole thread and found out that no 24p support affects only external devices(dvd, Blu-ray players etc.)
So VLC and Netflix should not be affected!
Wreck-It Ralph on Disney+ was SO juddery, it was unwatchable. But that’s the only movie I’ve had issues with. Everything else is really amazing. Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, just a fantastic movie experience. I’m VERY happy with this monitor.

Wreck-It Ralph on Disney+ was SO juddery, it was unwatchable. But that’s the only movie I’ve had issues with. Everything else is really amazing. Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, just a fantastic movie experience. I’m VERY happy with this monitor.

Are you streaming from PC? If so, try a streaming device like a Firestick. Many have reported that a lot of PC streaming apps are inferior to streaming from a device like a BLu-ray player, nVidia Shield, Apple TV and Firesticks. I can tell the difference between PC Netflix and from a nVidia shield easily.

Are you streaming from PC? If so, try a streaming device like a Firestick. Many have reported that a lot of PC streaming apps are inferior to streaming from a device like a BLu-ray player, nVidia Shield, Apple TV and Firesticks. I can tell the difference between PC Netflix and from a nVidia shield easily.

Most streaming services do not offer their highest quality streams to PCs because "anti piracy" 🙄🙄🙄 Netflix's 4k package, for example, simply doesnt provide any benefit to browsers.

Unrelated, but if anyone bought this display from Newegg prior to the "Fantastech Sales" event they just had, chase them for a price match. I had to send a follow-up email when their "automatic" refund didnt happen (shocking!) but I just got my 100$ newegg gift card.

It was only that movie, but I’ll have a look at those options. No issues with other movies. But, I haven’t seen a lot of films. I’m sure there will be others. Thanks for the suggestions 😃

Just an update; second monitor is fine technically.

The U in Aorus at the bottom only has half the silver sticker applied, probably just going to take the rest of it and the other letters off.

Overall happy with the monitor but as stated everywhere in this thread, the QC is hilariously awful.

Just an update; second monitor is fine technically.

The U in Aorus at the bottom only has half the silver sticker applied, probably just going to take the rest of it and the other letters off.

Overall happy with the monitor but as stated everywhere in this thread, the QC is hilariously awful.

That's good news. I should have my second one Monday so hopefully it is okay. That's odd that they misapplied the sticker, just another example of the terrible quality of these.

Hello, just picked up this monitor. A few observations and questions:

1. Inverse ghosting/pixel overshoot is really bad, enough to want to return it. . On the balance overdrive setting it is still pretty distracting in some games- seems worse on games where the frame rate is under 60, but it can be somewhat random and game dependent. On the speed setting it is utterly game breaking. Anyone have settings that minimize/eliminate it (keeping in mind I already run the balance setting)? Is this something that could be part of the panel lottery where I just got a bad panel is this respect?

2. Trying to set the frame rate in windows or the nividia control panel to 120 hz causes an immediate crash and reboot of windows. I have a RTX 3070 graphics card connected via displayport. Doesn't matter if I use a displayport 1.4 cable or HDMI 2.1 cable. Is this a defect? I can set it successfully to 144hz. So why would I care? Just wanted to try using the HDMI connection (which I read was capped at 120 hz at 4K) just to see if it had any impact on the bad inverse ghosting.

3. Anyone who has updated to F04beta firmware notice any image quality improvements? Just wondering if updating could help with the two above issues. I am running F01 firmware.

No dead pixels though!

Thanks for any advice.

2nd monitor arrived.
No dead pixels, no backlight bleed.
Panel seems good.
Need to try all settings now and check how it performs.

Firmware update took around 10 minutes and went smooth.

I was able to achieve 4k, 120Hz, 8 bit, full RGB via the display port of my 1080ti.
And I more than happy with this.

I just have a basic question as this is my 1st high refresh rate monitor.
With all my previous 60hz monitors I was always playing with vsync off. Even in titles which there was tearing.
vsync on was never an option for me as I hate input lag.

With the Aorus I can enable gsync but I read I have to cap my framerate just 2-3 frames below my refresh rate in order to avoid input lag.

But I am trying to understand why do all this when you can get rid of input lag by disabling gsync completely.
If you don't care about tearing is there any other reason to enable any form of sync?

ps: I have to wait till next week till I get a longer cable so I will be able to use the screen with my racing rig and see by myself.
I just need a bit of theory here.

Mcgriddle

can't tell you about any differences in picture as updating the firmware was the first thing I did when I turned on the monitor.

But apart for eventual picture handling improvements, the new firmware is dropping temperatures significantly according users feedback.

My monitor has March 2021 construction date and f01 is the factory firmware.

I am pretty sure there will be more updates to come but I would say f04 is a must for all owners.

Just be sure to set English as your system languadge in OSD sidekick before upgrading as there are some users having update failures using other system languages.

Back