GIGABYTE AORUS FV43U 43 inch 4k 144 HDR1000 QLED monitor

Response? That's still very vague to me. As I pointed out early, the professional reviews have the Aorus with lower input lag. I'm not sure if this is affected by settings or using HDR. Can you use a non-HDR picture mode and compare the 'response'?

I confirmed my own suspicions--the Aorus is definitely faster. Went out and bought a refurbished CX from Microcenter for $999 because I couldn't keep the Aorus without satisfying my curiosity. It's an amazing TV but I'm not sure it's a better computer monitor. I absolutely love the picture quality but the input lag is just a touch higher. Combined with the lower refresh rate and brightness, Destiny 2 just didn't feel as responsive playing competitive.

Overall, I think you would be crazy to go with anything else if you mostly play story based games though. Will have to do a lot more testing in order to make a decision though. Boy, is tech fun in 2021. Too many good options! It's a nice problem to have.

Update: Ok, so one significant disadvantage of the OLED compared to the Aorus is that only in game mode (even when in PC mode) can you get the lowest input lag. That means if you're wanting a different image (game mode is somewhat dim compared to the more hyped, colorful modes) than you can't have it with the lowest input lag.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I really want to purchase this for my desktop setup. I want to use it mainly for everyday use and watching blu ray movies. I heard that this monitor does not support 24p and that there is a lot of stuttering based on several reviews. Is this true? Is there a firmware update that fixes this?

Hey guys, I really want to purchase this for my desktop setup. I want to use it mainly for everyday use and watching blu ray movies. I heard that this monitor does not support 24p and that there is a lot of stuttering based on several reviews. Is this true? Is there a firmware update that fixes this?
I would not buy this if you plan to watch a lot of movies, especially without 23.976/24Hz support.

I would not buy this if you plan to watch a lot of movies, especially without 23.976/24Hz support.
Damn, this monitor seemed perfect and fit all the things I wanted. Any other recommendations for a 43" monitor with good HDR support? The LG CX 48" is too large for me

Edit: is the 24p issue ONLY if you plug external devices (ie. Blu ray, 4k blu ray players) into the monitor? Or will you still get issues when playing blu ray or 4k movie files using VLC in windows?

Last edited:
24 * 5 = 120, so that will work fine. It should be fine in VLC etc. Most of the existing 43" monitors were released a while ago and have more serious issues IMHO. There should be newer MSI and Acer monitors but both are slated to be more expensive, I believe.

anyone who owns this monitor seen any juddering/stuttering when playing blu ray/4k blu ray files with VLC player or any other media software?

anyone who owns this monitor seen any juddering/stuttering when playing blu ray/4k blu ray files with VLC player or any other media software?
I’m not seeing anything with VLC. Sometimes on Netflix but it’s rare. I haven’t looked at the movie or show I’m watching to see why it might be doing that. Tends to be older shows or movies though. I also have the latest firmware F04. Not sure if there’s anything that’s affected with the new firmware. I should add it’s all through my PC. I don’t have any consoles or DVD/Blu-ray players connected to it.

I’m not seeing anything with VLC. Sometimes on Netflix but it’s rare. I haven’t looked at the movie or show I’m watching to see why it might be doing that. Tends to be older shows or movies though. I also have the latest firmware F04. Not sure if there’s anything that’s affected with the new firmware. I should add it’s all through my PC. I don’t have any consoles or DVD/Blu-ray players connected to it.
Do you know if any 4k blu ray files or standard blu ray media files run smoothly ?? I will be using the monitor for watching mainly 4k blu ray files (mkv)

And also, how do 4k movies look with HDR turned on??

Last edited:
I watched into a few of my 4K files with HDR and noticed no jutter/stuttering. That Dark Knight Imax Prologue in 4K HDR looks really great. One thing I noticed: playing mkvs with MPC and madVR automatically switches the monitor into HDR mode. VLC does the correct tone mapping but does not switch the monitor to HDR.
I guess that 24p stutter only comes into play, when using a console or 4k player to watch movies.

I watched into a few of my 4K files with HDR and noticed no jutter/stuttering. That Dark Knight Imax Prologue in 4K HDR looks really great. One thing I noticed: playing mkvs with MPC and madVR automatically switches the monitor into HDR mode. VLC does the correct tone mapping but does not switch the monitor to HDR.
I guess that 24p stutter only comes into play, when using a console or 4k player to watch movies.
For VLC, did you do anything to turn on HDR? or did you just turn on HDR with display settings in Windows?

For VLC, did you do anything to turn on HDR? or did you just turn on HDR with display settings in Windows?
With VLC you have to turn HDR on in Windows manually. I use MPC which does that on its own (and turns it off, when closing it).

Someone tested the Picture in picture?
How much can be small the second source in overlay on the first source?

Someone tested the Picture in picture?
How much can be small the second source in overlay on the first source?
See all sizes below.

IMG_20210621_191003.jpg

IMG_20210621_191005.jpg

IMG_20210621_191008.jpg

It's back to 999.99 at newegg
I requested a price match. Had to go through their support chat because the automated form kept failing. At first they agreed right away, but then I got an email stating that the manual refund wont process because the item is "on the Fantastech sale list. So we will not issue the refund manually. You will be refunded automatically on 7/02 for the price difference."

So idk, we'll see what happens. Also, the refund is in store credit.

Thanks, can you also tell us what's in the "Location"?
Can you move it from corner?

Also anyone know what's the minimum brightness of FV43U?
Can it be used in completely dark room? (i like playing non competitive games like that :) )
It’ll get pretty dim if you need it to. It’ll also get REALLY bright. I like the range. No idea what the actual nits are. I can take a picture of dim and bright when I get home tonight.

Thanks, can you also tell us what's in the "Location"?
Can you move it from corner?

Also anyone know what's the minimum brightness of FV43U?
Can it be used in completely dark room? (i like playing non competitive games like that :) )
Yes, location allows you to move it to ask 4 corners.

I believe TomsHardware measured 89 nits of minimum brightness.

I just got the C1 48" OLED and immediately, the motion and viewing angles are REALLY different and by that, I mean much better. For gaming, the motion isn't different imo, but when scrolling or moving things around on the desktop, the OLED is just better. HDR is debatable as darker movies are better on OLED while brighter movies are better on gigabyte (depends still) where bright highlights is what the OLED excels at. No more text colour shift when scrolling either as it's very apparent on the gigabyte when scrolling with light text on dark background. In a dim to brighter room, the blacks are VERY close to each other, so I think the gigabyte does a really good job with that, however, I noticed in movies that the OLED handles close to black colours better than the gigabyte (have to test more). The picture quality wowed me on vivid initially, but that setting is not accurate as it causes the blues to clip. I'm at the moment sticking to standard mode with OLED brightness at 100 which of course is not as bright as the gigabyte, but bright enough for me at least. I also see that reflection handling is very similar to gigabyte where they're both poor in that regard.

As of right now, I'm pretty close to keeping OLED, but not sure as the FV43U is great for the price ($1400 CAD for FV43U vs $1900 CAD for OLED).

The camera really does make the image appear bluer than normal (it's actually supposed to be a pit more purple due to the day in the game). Taking pictures doesn't do it justice as everything just looks bluer, but I found that for HDR games, it looks very close to the gigabyte and for SDR games, the image seems more highlighted on the OLED.
DSC_0084.JPG

Also, my gigabyte has grey banding, does anyone else's FV43U have it?

I just got the C1 48" OLED and immediately, the motion and viewing angles are REALLY different and by that, I mean much better. For gaming, the motion isn't different imo, but when scrolling or moving things around on the desktop, the OLED is just better. HDR is debatable as darker movies are better on OLED while brighter movies are better on gigabyte (depends still) where bright highlights is what the OLED excels at. No more text colour shift when scrolling either as it's very apparent on the gigabyte when scrolling with light text on dark background. In a dim to brighter room, the blacks are VERY close to each other, so I think the gigabyte does a really good job with that, however, I noticed in movies that the OLED handles close to black colours better than the gigabyte (have to test more). The picture quality wowed me on vivid initially, but that setting is not accurate as it causes the blues to clip. I'm at the moment sticking to standard mode with OLED brightness at 100 which of course is not as bright as the gigabyte, but bright enough for me at least. I also see that reflection handling is very similar to gigabyte where they're both poor in that regard.

As of right now, I'm pretty close to keeping OLED, but not sure as the FV43U is great for the price ($1400 CAD for FV43U vs $1900 CAD for OLED).

The camera really does make the image appear bluer than normal (it's actually supposed to be a pit more purple due to the day in the game). Taking pictures doesn't do it justice as everything just looks bluer, but I found that for HDR games, it looks very close to the gigabyte and for SDR games, the image seems more highlighted on the OLED.
View attachment 368813

Thanks for the impressions and comparison - very interesting. Are you keeping both? Regarding motion in games not being noticeable. if by any chance you have dead cells that is a great test for blur or you can run a 60fos video of dead cells from you tube full screen on both to see if in game motion is comparable.

Not much options with PbP.

View attachment 368789
Am I correct that it works like this:
  • You set the inputs used in Source menu.
  • You set which input is on which side in the Display Switch menu.
  • You set which input is used for internal speaker audio in Audio Switch menu.
But what does PbP Size and USB Control offer? I guess USB Control is for KVM type stuff?

Thanks for the impressions and comparison - very interesting. Are you keeping both? Regarding motion in games not being noticeable. if by any chance you have dead cells that is a great test for blur or you can run a 60fos video of dead cells from you tube full screen on both to see if in game motion is comparable.
I currently can't do side by side comparisons as I don't have a long enough display port for the gigabyte or long enough HDMI cable (using gigabyte's HDMI cable for LG as LG doesn't include the cable for some reason). I played Black Ops Cold War and didn't notice a difference in motion clarity. I might put my PC in between the two, so that I can do side by side as I'm curious myself. I watched dead cells 60 fps on youtube, but haven't seen it on the gigabyte before, so I can't say if it's different for that (will try once I get them both displaying). At the moment, I may return the gigabyte, mainly for the motion clarity and viewing angles on the desktop as it's just much better. Also since the gigabyte I have has a fair bit of grey banding which gets annoying at times.

View attachment 368813

Do you have an RTX 3000 series or RX 6000 series card? And how is text clarity between the 2? I have an RTX 2080 Super so the C1 wouldn’t have been run at full potential for me. I’m pretty happy with the monitor. I have an older C8 and I wasn’t as impressed. Text could be better, but how is text for you? I understand the subpixel layout is the same BGR (technically WBGR for the C1). Thanks for the comparison!

Do you have an RTX 3000 series or RX 6000 series card? And how is text clarity between the 2? I have an RTX 2080 Super so the C1 wouldn’t have been run at full potential for me. I’m pretty happy with the monitor. I have an older C8 and I wasn’t as impressed. Text could be better, but how is text for you? I understand the subpixel layout is the same BGR (technically WBGR for the C1). Thanks for the comparison!
I have the RTX 3080 and the text clarity only suffers a bit in windows file explorer (worse on 100%, better on 125%, best on 150% scaling) for some reason where as for everything else, it's essentially the same. 125% scaling for everything but windows file explorer looks great, but due to explorer looking like it's fringing, I'm on 150% with cleartype and full RGB (4:4:4).

Am I correct that it works like this:
  • You set the inputs used in Source menu. Correct
  • You set which input is on which side in the Display Switch menu. Correct, you can swap left and right.
  • You set which input is used for internal speaker audio in Audio Switch menu. Not sure on this one as I don't use the internal speakers.
But what does PbP Size and USB Control offer? I guess USB Control is for KVM type stuff? PbP size allows you to select full or aspect ratio. USB Control is yes KVM stuff, it allows you to select which input or side of the screen you want to control. KB/M would need to be plugged into the FV43U.

See above.

Does anyone know how or of you can adjust the color levels while in HDR mode (HDR 1000)? I like HDR on this monitor but it is a little bit too reddish, needs more coldness.

Does anyone know how or of you can adjust the color levels while in HDR mode (HDR 1000)? I like HDR on this monitor but it is a little bit too reddish, needs more coldness.

If you're on PC. You can still do some adjustments via nVidia Control Panel.

Last edited:
I have the RTX 3080 and the text clarity only suffers a bit in windows file explorer (worse on 100%, better on 125%, best on 150% scaling) for some reason where as for everything else, it's essentially the same. 125% scaling for everything but windows file explorer looks great, but due to explorer looking like it's fringing, I'm on 150% with cleartype and full RGB (4:4:4).

It seems that the text clarity is affected by the HDR setting. Window explorer looks perfectly normal in SDR but then some text gets a bit blocky on HDR. Hopefully, Windows 11 with auto HDR may solve this.

It seems that the text clarity is affected by the HDR setting. Window explorer looks perfectly normal in SDR but then some text gets a bit blocky on HDR. Hopefully, Windows 11 with auto HDR may solve this.
The gigabyte is fine, just the c1 is the one that's affected in windows explorer on SDR for some reason.

Hi,
I went through the whole thread and realized that my Aorus 1080ti(no DSC dp 1.4) will limit me to:
4k/120hz/8bit
or
4k/98hz/10bit

Is my understanding correct?
Do other members using the monitor with a 1080 confirm?

Thanks in advance

Hi,
I went through the whole thread and realized that my Aorus 1080ti(no DSC dp 1.4) will limit me to:
4k/120hz/8bit
or
4k/98hz/10bit

Thanks in advance
I have an Acer Predator X27 which doesn't support DSC and it is limited to those same values. So, your understanding is correct from what I can tell.

Hi,
4k/120hz/8bit
or
4k/98hz/10bit

Thanks in advance
I also have an EVGA 1080 ti as well.

If I get the Aorus FV43U and use a DP 1.4, would i be able to get 4:4:4 at 4k, 120hz, 8bit?
If I do end up getting the CX48 and use HDMI 2.0, can I still get 4k 120hz 8bit ?

If I get the Aorus FV43U and use a DP 1.4, would i be able to get 4:4:4 at 4k, 120hz, 8bit?
If I do end up getting the CX48 and use HDMI 2.0, can I still get 4k 120hz 8bit ?
Not sure about the CX.
For FV43U my understanding is yes.
But if you see my post I am literally asking the same thing.
Hoping that a DP 1.4(no DSC) owner or a more expert member could answer our question.

1080 Ti doesn't have HDMI 2.1 so on CX48 you will be limited to only 4K60 4:4:4 8bit or 4K60 4:2:0 with HDR if i remember.
Short answer: if you aren't planning to change GPU then DP is the way to go :)

Back