GIGABYTE AORUS FV43U 43 inch 4k 144 HDR1000 QLED monitor

i am on the fence guys need someone to push me over this mofo. only thing thats worrying me is the dead pixels. iv see na few from new egg how common is this. should i even worry, if i end up with a dud is the replacement process painless or do you gota fight tooth nail to get it replaced?
Dead pixels can happen on any display. Buy from somewhere with a good return policy. I don't know how it is in the US but in my country you have a period of time you can return stuff no questions asked so if I bought a monitor with dead pixels I would just return or exchange it.

What exactly is the point of that exercise? Comparing real life and a screen through a camera lens, really?

Yes, Because not everyone play games all the time. I shoot 4K HDR Gimbal and drone pictures and videos. When I edit, I want to see as close to real life as possible before I make any adjustments. I also do not want an altered image when I'm watching movies or streaming media.

I'd also like to know more about this and less about people's opinions on OLEDs.
I am looking at getting this monitor for a mix of 80/20 productivity/gaming to replace my Acer XB271HU. Does anyone have any pictures or experience with how the BGR layout effects spreadsheets, documents, and code?

Here's some pictures with a vendor webpage on one side and an excel on the other at 100% scaling.

This is at about 36" from screen

IMG_9173.jpg

The following 2 is about 12" from screen

IMG_9172.jpg

IMG_9171.jpg

FV43U user manual pdf at 100% about 10" from screen

IMG_9176.jpg

IMG_9177.jpg

Last edited:
i am on the fence guys need someone to push me over this mofo. only thing thats worrying me is the dead pixels. iv see na few from new egg how common is this. should i even worry, if i end up with a dud is the replacement process painless or do you gota fight tooth nail to get it replaced?
I was too. Big time. I wound up getting the monitor with an extended warranty from Newegg. The monitor arrived without any issues. But what swayed me to this monitor and not the LG C1 or CX was the use case and equipment I have. I’m a gamer and web browser and some productivity. I also have an RTX 2080 Super, so DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.0b. Not the best configuration for an LG OLED. 4K @60hz or 1440p@120hz chroma subsampling 422 or something like that. I just didn’t want to compromise there. I also have an older LG C7. It’s not the brightest and I did hook up my PC to it. Wasn’t terribly impressed. Didn’t have it on for an extended period so I might try again just to see. Enter the FV43U. 4k@144hz RGB color over DP 1.4. The RTX 2080 Super has DP 1.4. It works great. Are there some text issues in some cases. Yep, not always as sharp as I’d like it. Is it so bad I can’t deal with it. Nope. There’s the talk of BGR layout and how the LG is so much better. It’s WBGR so you’ll get the text issues there too. If you have a next gen console or an RTX 3000 series or RX 6000 series you should be good for connectivity. Otherwise you’ll be running in a limited fashion. I’m happy with the monitor and I’m glad I got it.

So - this panel has slightly higher pixel density than a standard 24" HD panel, right? Approximately 10 additional pixels per inch? I'm assuming the size allows for native scaling in Windows. That's beneficial, even though the pics Wiz33 shows make the pixels look pretty obvious. (the close up pics look like they were taken through a window-screen). Problem I have with standard HD 24s is that any closer than two feet and I start seeing the pixels - comfort zone is closer to three feet.

I'm thinking that at this size you still need anti-aliasing. Hoping the 4k / 32's tighter pixel pitch makes it the more comfortable 4k size - even if some scaling is required.

So - this panel has slightly higher pixel density than a standard 24" HD panel, right? Approximately 10 additional pixels per inch? I'm assuming the size allows for native scaling in Windows. That's beneficial, even though the pics Wiz33 shows make the pixels look pretty obvious. (the close up pics look like they were taken through a window-screen). Problem I have with standard HD 24s is that any closer than two feet and I start seeing the pixels - comfort zone is closer to three feet.

I'm thinking that at this size you still need anti-aliasing. Hoping the 4k / 32's tighter pixel pitch makes it the more comfortable 4k size - even if some scaling is required.

The only reason I usually work at about 30" is that that's the distance my glasses was set at back when I was using a 32" Acer B326HK. I'll be setting the monitor further back once I get new computer distance glasses to at least 40". I think 40"-48" is going to be the comfort zone for this monitor depending on how good your eyes are.

The photo is greatly exaggerating the moiré effect. A camera sensor is not going to naturally blend the subpixels together like your eyes do. I'm sure you wouldn't notice it in person. I used a 27" 1920x1080 monitor before with a PPI of 81 and could not really see the pixels unless they were on a white background. I normally code and edit other texts on a black background when given the option, anyway.

I normally code and edit other texts on a black background when given the option, anyway.
Way back when I joined this board, I figured black background was going to become SOP for websites. Makes much more comfortable reading.
Also - way back when I had an opportunity to invest in several well-known tech companies, and did not.
Shows I'm no good at forecasting!

I got mu delivery yesterday and am still tweaking things a bit. Text clarity is not as good as my previous lg ud79b which i will admit does bother me. Its only like certain text sizes here and there though and i think i will get used to it. Colors pop way more and i really appreciate the cursor and scrolling improvements for desktop usage it feels way snappier. I fired up a few games last night and it felt night and day to previous 60hz with no vrr. Could not go back to that. I have never used vrr or gigh refresh so u cant really compare but for me the change is amazing on that front

Here's some pictures with a vendor webpage on one side and an excel on the other at 100% scaling.

Thanks so much for the pics. Maybe I have bad eyes, but I really don't see the BGR text halo thing that people talk about. From comments I see elsewhere, they make it sound like text is the worst thing ever on this screen and its completely illegible.

The photo is greatly exaggerating the moiré effect. A camera sensor is not going to naturally blend the subpixels together like your eyes do. I'm sure you wouldn't notice it in person. I used a 27" 1920x1080 monitor before with a PPI of 81 and could not really see the pixels unless they were on a white background. I normally code and edit other texts on a black background when given the option, anyway.

Yea, the photos definitely does not do this monitor justice. even at my normal 30" or so, I can't see the pixels. This monitor is better than all the 32" and above monitors and TVs I've used before and I've used a few.

Last edited:
I was too. Big time. I wound up getting the monitor with an extended warranty from Newegg. The monitor arrived without any issues. But what swayed me to this monitor and not the LG C1 or CX was the use case and equipment I have. I’m a gamer and web browser and some productivity. I also have an RTX 2080 Super, so DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.0b. Not the best configuration for an LG OLED. 4K @60hz or 1440p@120hz chroma subsampling 422 or something like that. I just didn’t want to compromise there. I also have an older LG C7. It’s not the brightest and I did hook up my PC to it. Wasn’t terribly impressed. Didn’t have it on for an extended period so I might try again just to see. Enter the FV43U. 4k@144hz RGB color over DP 1.4. The RTX 2080 Super has DP 1.4. It works great. Are there some text issues in some cases. Yep, not always as sharp as I’d like it. Is it so bad I can’t deal with it. Nope. There’s the talk of BGR layout and how the LG is so much better. It’s WBGR so you’ll get the text issues there too. If you have a next gen console or an RTX 3000 series or RX 6000 series you should be good for connectivity. Otherwise you’ll be running in a limited fashion. I’m happy with the monitor and I’m glad I got it.
thank you iv made the order text issue ownt bother me i dont plan on reading books on my monitor lol i want to use the hdmi 2.1 on my 3090 to its fullest potential i dont crank everything to its absolute bleeding edge either my current rig should be capable of good fps at 4K.

The BGR sub pixels kills it for me. I'm particularly sensitive to seeing dark shadows at the side corners of BGR monitors. If it wasn't for that, I would have bought this monitor

It's always a question of viewing distance. If I look at my 65" living room TV from the next room it looks super sharp. Not so much if I am sitting 1m away from it.

IMO any 4K display benefits from at least a little bit of scaling. I use 120-125% on my 48" OLED while sitting 1m away and would probably use 150-175% on a 27-32" model at normal monitor viewing distances for even sharper text but reduced desktop space. Even with laser corrected vision I don't enjoy looking at tiny text. Scaling also helps mitigate things like non-RGB subpixel structures.

It's always a question of viewing distance...

. I use 120-125% on my 48" OLED while sitting 1m away .

This is something that I find interesting and guess I don't fully grasp.

A quick run of the numbers tells me that a 48 inch 4k display has about 92 ppi (91.8) which is identical to the 92 ppi of a 1080p 24" monitor.

So windows should not have to scale at all - from what I know about scaling.

Is it because the monitor is so large and the pixels are visible up close which pushes you back... And then the distance makes some scaling comfortable - or at least more comfortable than without?

This is something that I find interesting and guess I don't fully grasp.

A quick run of the numbers tells me that a 48 inch 4k display has about 92 ppi (91.8) which is identical to the 92 ppi of a 1080p 24" monitor.

So windows should not have to scale at all - from what I know about scaling.

Is it because the monitor is so large and the pixels are visible up close which pushes you back... And then the distance makes some scaling comfortable - or at least more comfortable than without?
If you try to apply normal monitor viewing distances to something this big, you end up with a very uncomfortable viewing experience where you have to turn your head all the time. So you put the TV further back and then you end up with the opposite problem where the overall screen size is fine but 100% scaling becomes a bit uncomfortably small to read. Add a little bit of scaling and problem solved with the added benefit of sharper text.

On MacOS 120% scaling is pretty spot on and ends up with a 3200x1800 desktop area. I wish Windows gave more options between 100 and 125% because the custom scaling ratio option often does not work well, either basing things on 100% or 125% in sizing of some elements.

The BGR sub pixels kills it for me. I'm particularly sensitive to seeing dark shadows at the side corners of BGR monitors. If it wasn't for that, I would have bought this monitor

What is your normal viewing distance? I can tell you that the dark corner that is present on my CG437K at 30" is hardly there on the FV43U at the same distance. If your viewing distance is larger (say 36"+) They are not visible at all.

It's always a question of viewing distance. If I look at my 65" living room TV from the next room it looks super sharp. Not so much if I am sitting 1m away from it.

IMO any 4K display benefits from at least a little bit of scaling. I use 120-125% on my 48" OLED while sitting 1m away and would probably use 150-175% on a 27-32" model at normal monitor viewing distances for even sharper text but reduced desktop space. Even with laser corrected vision I don't enjoy looking at tiny text. Scaling also helps mitigate things like non-RGB subpixel structures.

So about 40" from screen. I'm pretty sure if I get new prescription glasses set at 40" I probably can still get by without scaling. Main reason I got a 4K is that I do need the screen real estate for work and having to scale up kinda defeat the purpose. Even at 30" I don't find myself turning my head much, just eye movement is mostly enough to cover the whole screen.

I am not able to get a good unit. This is my first hdr monitor and also my first VA panel.

The first unit had a terrible light/bleed in the dark(see the attachment). The HDR content(videos) in the middle was amazing, brightness being extremely impressive. It also had terrible smearing while scrolling black text on the white background, but that is likely just the VA panel thing?

I replaced that and got another unit, which had a physical damage(cracked/crushed lcd) from shipping likely. I am not sure why they ship this monitor without a shipping box. I am now waiting for yet another replacement.

Should I stop bothering with this monitor at all since luck is not on my side?

I have attached the picture of the black bleed from the first unit. Hopefully that unit was an exception and not the rule.

Attachments

• 91615448-ACE6-4564-9667-6089EFF5C16E.jpeg
    91615448-ACE6-4564-9667-6089EFF5C16E.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: N4CR
like this
I am not able to get a good unit. This is my first hdr monitor and also my first VA panel.

The first unit had a terrible light/bleed in the dark(see the attachment). The HDR content(videos) in the middle was amazing, brightness being extremely impressive. It also had terrible smearing while scrolling black text on the white background, but that is likely just the VA panel thing?

I replaced that and got another unit, which had a physical damage(cracked/crushed lcd) from shipping likely. I am not sure why they ship this monitor without a shipping box. I am now waiting for yet another replacement.

I have attached the picture of the black bleed from the first unit. Hopefully that unit was an exception and not the rule.
The smearing of white text on black background is the VA panel. That will not go away. The Light Bleed you may be able to get a better monitor, but its hard to know for sure, its a edge lit panel so its likely you will always have some light bleed.

Are you running DP @144. It doesn't really bother me for work but I've heard that it's much better if you're willing to drop to 120 and bypass DP DSC.

Reactions: varu
like this
Are you running DP @144. It doesn't really bother me for work but I've heard that it's much better if you're willing to drop to 120 and bypass DP DSC.
Thanks, I will try that with the replacement(assuming I get a good unit). NewEgg has been fantastic with taking prompt actions with the replacements, so wish me luck that the 3rd time is the charm.

Looks like the brightness is set way too high in that picture. That is also a uniformity issue, not bleed. Uniformity issues will tend to even out with use, though they never go away. Uniformity is part of the panel lottery game that you should not play, as absolutely no panel you get will ever have perfect uniformity.

Looks like the brightness is set way too high in that picture. That is also a uniformity issue, not bleed. Uniformity issues will tend to even out with use, though they never go away. Uniformity is part of the panel lottery game that you should not play, as absolutely no panel you get will ever have perfect uniformity.

Or maybe the it's 4 backlight zones as that how they arrange it on this unit. Although I haven't really notice it on day to day work and gaming use.

The edge lit zones on this monitor are arranged like this ghetto drawing. The picture above is 80% the "VA cone" gamma shift from it's poor viewing angles with the rest appearing to be brightness level related. Both mine and someone else's I've laid eyes on have little if any traditional backlight bleed.

Attachments

• Local Dimming.png
    Local Dimming.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 0
Did you mean the phone camera exaggerated the brightness or the monitor itself had brightness too high?
In that picture, the monitor was in the HDR1000 mode connected to the Mac using the thunderbolt/usbC cable. I opened up the black screen YouTube video in a dark room and took the picture. You could really see it like that. That is why I sent that picture to the seller and they issued a replacement right away.

My use case will be using that monitor for HDR videos, so it wasn’t too terrible using actual content, but you could see the panel wasn’t uniform at all with light leaks in the corner. I don’t think I had local dimming enabled. Anyway, I should have a new unit soon.

Questions regaring this and general setup.
I have a 3080 so i can do dp 1.4 or hdmi 2.1
Should i use dp? I thought ther is more bandwidth on hdmi 2.1?

Also right now i have this set in nvidia control panel to 10bit color over display port. Should i jave left it at 8 bit as the frc happens on iys own or something?

Questions regaring this and general setup.
I have a 3080 so i can do dp 1.4 or hdmi 2.1
Should i use dp? I thought ther is more bandwidth on hdmi 2.1?

Also right now i have this set in nvidia control panel to 10bit color over display port. Should i jave left it at 8 bit as the frc happens on iys own or something?

HDMI 2.1 4K RGB 10bit full @120
DP1.4 4K RGB 10bit full @144 with DSC

Can DP 1.4 do 4K RGB 10bit full @120 w/o DSC?

*yeah I know, 'Lossless'... But can it?

yeah this was also a question I had and will I notice much of a difference if i opt for the loss of DSC. I think I would be perfectly fine with 120hz. Guess I will have to play around and see if I can notice any differences.

I have been unable to run this 4K @ 120hz. My computer reboots! Never had this happen to me before. I have an RTX 2080 Super. 4K @ 144hz all day no problem. Whenever I try 4K @ 120, computer reboots. This is on the DP port.

Did you mean the phone camera exaggerated the brightness or the monitor itself had brightness too high?
In that picture, the monitor was in the HDR1000 mode connected to the Mac using the thunderbolt/usbC cable. I opened up the black screen YouTube video in a dark room and took the picture. You could really see it like that. That is why I sent that picture to the seller and they issued a replacement right away.

My use case will be using that monitor for HDR videos, so it wasn’t too terrible using actual content, but you could see the panel wasn’t uniform at all with light leaks in the corner. I don’t think I had local dimming enabled. Anyway, I should have a new unit soon.
Having another look I have to agree with SoCali that the edgelit zones on the monitor are causing the pattern you see on a completely black background. If you're using it to watch HDR video then you shouldn't really notice it, as you say, but if you had the monitor in HDR mode while not watching an HDR version of that black video then that is your problem. In the absence of HDR or having the array turned on for SDR the monitor is not going to dim the backlights.
Getting anywhere between 98hz to 104hz search results. Another question is will DSC auto disable if you drop to ~100hz or is it always on?
98 Hz with HDR, 104 Hz without. DSC should be automatically toggled by the monitor based on the settings.

I got this display earlier in the week and very nearly started a return with Newegg. I had text blurriness issues and couldn't view my system BIOS - something about the way the system changes resolutions at boot seemed to cause the monitor to think it had no signal and would shut off immediately. I had to lug my old monitor (43" LG) back to the desk just to troubleshoot.

Upgrading to firmware F04 seems to have solved all my issues. I saw this firmware briefly mentioned in this thread but I wanted to bring it up in case anyone missed it. I had to do some digging to actually find it - the Aorus support page only has version f03, while the Gigabyte page for the same item has the newest f04 file. Dumb. Here's the download page: https://www.gigabyte.com/Monitor/AORUS-FV43U/support#support-dl-firmware

After updating I'm MUCH more happy with the monitor. I can now see the mobo splash screen at system boot and the display seems to be cool with BIOS and quick-succession resolution changes. I also think the text looks substantially better, but also I am a rube compared to some of the extremely picky users here so YMMV. The OSD feels a bit more responsive as well but that could be placebo effect. I'm no longer considering a return. It may not be The One Display, but it's as good as you can get until more HDMI 2.1 units hit the market (OLED excluded because its apples to oranges)

Last edited:
I got this display earlier in the week and very nearly started a return with Newegg. I had text blurriness issues and couldn't view my system BIOS - something about the way the system changes resolutions at boot seemed to cause the monitor to think it had no signal and would shut off immediately. I had to lug my old monitor (43" LG) back to the desk just to troubleshoot.

Upgrading to firmware F04 seems to have solved all my issues. I saw this firmware briefly mentioned in this thread but I wanted to bring it up in case anyone missed it. I had to do some digging to actually find it - the Aorus support page only has version f03, while the Gigabyte page for the same item has the newest f04 file. Dumb. Here's the download page: https://www.gigabyte.com/Monitor/AORUS-FV43U/support#support-dl-firmware

After updating I'm MUCH more happy with the monitor. I can now see the mobo splash screen at system boot and the display seems to be cool with BIOS and quick-succession resolution changes. I also think the text looks substantially better, but also I am a rube compared to some of the extremely picky users here so YMMV. The OSD feels a bit more responsive as well but that could be placebo effect. I'm no longer considering a return. It may not be The One Display, but it's as good as you can get until more HDMI 2.1 units hit the market (OLED excluded because its apples to oranges)

How did you go about updating? I used the usb 3.0 cable that came with the monitor, connected to my computer's 3.0 input. I got the sidekick to open and selected the unzipped file location for the F04 beta firmware. The transfer looked like it was working, and took about 6 minutes, after which point it said that the transfer/update failed.

There was an issue with the monitor becoming immediately unresponsive to the point where the remote did nothing and I couldn't turn the monitor on or off. This persisted even when I closed sidekick (this did not always work because the program would consistently become unresponsive if left open for too long, or refuse to open, spinning endlessly on 'loading') AND disconnected the cable. I had to literally remove all power from the monitor to get it to respond again

Any tips?

How did you go about updating? I used the usb 3.0 cable that came with the monitor, connected to my computer's 3.0 input. I got the sidekick to open and selected the unzipped file location for the F04 beta firmware. The transfer looked like it was working, and took about 6 minutes, after which point it said that the transfer/update failed.

There was an issue with the monitor becoming immediately unresponsive to the point where the remote did nothing and I couldn't turn the monitor on or off. This persisted even when I closed sidekick (this did not always work because the program would consistently become unresponsive if left open for too long, or refuse to open, spinning endlessly on 'loading') AND disconnected the cable. I had to literally remove all power from the monitor to get it to respond again

Any tips?

I had the monitor unreponsive part twice but it recovered on its own. It took almost 10 minutes but completed for me. Sorry i have no tips lol.

Did the firmware update fail at any time? Also, did you have it on a usb stick?
You connect it to the computer using the provided USB type B cable that's normally used with printers. You would also have to install the OSD sidekick to install the update via USB cable. Just download the firmware file and select it in OSD sidekick which you can then update.

NVM, didn't read previous message.

Did the firmware update fail at any time? Also, did you have it on a usb stick?

No i downloaded and unzipped both the sidekick and the firmware and left those on my normal drive. Installed the sidekick which by itself seemed to fail the first time or was unresponsive so I had to run it again. Once the sickkick was working i just used its menu to browse to the firmware file on my local machine. I didn't know you needed to do anything with the provided USB cables (do you?) but I had already had that installed because I am running my mouse and keyboard through the monitor as I am gonna do the KVM thing once i figure that part out. The firmware update portion did not fail but over the 10 minutes it took, my mouse completely stopped responding twice for about 30 seconds to a minute or so but it came back to life and completed the process without error.

Back