GIGABYTE AORUS FV43U 43 inch 4k 144 HDR1000 QLED monitor

Does this flickering occur all the time or just under certain scneario?
Certain scenarios.

To trigger it, I have to be playing an HDR game, then toggle or cycle through the built-in HDR modes on the monitor. Then put it back to an HDR mode that has local dimming. Then go to dark areas of the game, and those areas will flicker. If I bring up the OSD on the monitor, the backlight gets brighter and the flickering goes away. If I turn local dimming off, it goes away too.

It kinda looks like adaptive sync flicker but worse, but I know it's not since turning off local dimming stops it.

As long as I do not change the HDR modes on the monitor, it will not happen, and local dimming works great.

I also can replicate it in just general Windows 10 by turning on HDR, then disabling Adaptive Sync in Radeon Settings.

Here's a video of the flickering. Unfortunately my mobile phone camera doesn't show the flickering, but I think this video will help understand what's going on.

HDR is enabled in Windows 10, adaptive sync is disabled in Radeon settings, FV43U is set to HDR1000.
On the left side of FV43U is Chrome and it's flickering.
If I drag a window that's displaying bright HDR YouTube content, the flickering goes away.
It's definitely the local dimming at play here, if I move the window to the bottom, flickering goes away but the top is still flickering and vice versa.

Update: Here's a better video I made as Gigabyte support has requested a video:

Last edited:
It seems super blurry in motion on that video - is that the VA panel on something in the recording?

Well, Newegg raised the price by $100 so I am surely not buying one now. I might as well just wait for more reviews and it goes on sale again or just wait out the 42” OLEDs. By then this will have dropped in price anyways.

Go through ebay, Newegg's ebay store is still selling the unit at $1099.

So I've had this for about a week now (FWIW I paid $999) and here are my thoughts:

• The screen real estate is just about perfect for sitting a little over 3 feet away.
  • Black text does smear if you quickly scroll through a page
  • I don't notice any ghosting in gaming (overdrive set to Balance)
  • I don't see any judder when watching movies
  • Black levels are decent, coming from a 2017 Samsung television. No doubt the OLEDs are better, but this gets the job done
  • When using the DP cable, my system freezes up if I turn the monitor off and on again. This is under Linux (Kubuntu 18.04); I haven't tested that in Windows.
  • The BGR layout does make text fuzzy, but Linux includes settings to deal with this; It's not a problem in Windows unless I try to see the color mode to 4:2:0
  • I'm "only" rocking a Titan RTX, so I can't test the 4K 120 Hz VRR
  • Holy cow does this thing get bright
I'm generally happy with the purchase. The monitor market is in a strange place right now. Had there been a 42" OLED, I would have gone that route. Oh well, maybe in a few years.

Thanks for the report, how is the QT VA panel, vibrant, popping colors?
To my eye, the image quality is acceptable. I'm not the most discerning consumer of monitors, so I probably represent the mass market.

The colors can be tweaked in various modes, and in some they are more vibrant than others. I tend to use the most dark mode for everyday use, as the brighter settings are uncomfortable for long work sessions.

My office is fairly well lighted with light coming from a window to the side and one to the rear with overhead fluorescent lights and the color still look pretty great, better than my Acer CG437K out of the box. Mass Effect Legendary Edition running 4K@144 with HDR, Shot on a iPhone 12. Only gaming pic I have at the moment. Will try to take a few more shots when I get to the office. Anything you have in mind like a particular 4K HDR video on Youtube with a time stamp?

IMG_9014.jpg

IMG_9045.jpg

Last edited:
OK, Here's a few shot from some of the most popular 4K HDR clips on Youtube shot with my iPhone 12. Bright line around the upper center is the outline of the window directly behind me. The iPhone also muted the color a bit as the pictures were not as vibrant as the ones on screen. I did some adjustment and its now closer to what you'll see on screen but the one on screen is still a bit more vibrant

IMG_9067 (1).jpg
IMG_9069 (1).jpg

IMG_9070 (1).jpg

IMG_9071 (1).jpg

IMG_9072 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Here's some side by side shots of the pictures vs on screen Youtube, try to get as close to the exact moment as possible but may still be off a bit timing wise.

View attachment 361802
View attachment 361803
View attachment 361804
View attachment 361805
View attachment 361806

This and the other posts have been immensely helpful in my search for info on this monitor, so thank you!

I'm wondering if you notice any smearing or ghosting with this monitor? I'm ready to buy this thing but you just read so many horror stories about VA panels.

Pixel response is pretty good but not to OLED level but you have another can of worm with OLED and this is about as good as you can get at 43" and I'm not real sensitive to ghosting and I have not notice much at all for gaming, This thing is better than all the 40"-43" display I've had and I've had quite a few from 40"-43" VA QLED TV and Acer CG437K monitors.

This and the other posts have been immensely helpful in my search for info on this monitor, so thank you!

I'm wondering if you notice any smearing or ghosting with this monitor? I'm ready to buy this thing but you just read so many horror stories about VA panels.

I do get noticeable smearing of text when scrolling quickly. I'm willing to live with it, but I can see how it would be a deal breaker for some.

I haven't done much gaming, but haven't seen any issues there. Just with text in normal usage.

This is with the overdrive setting to balance.

What about off center viewing?
It's still a VA so that's a concern but it's actually better than my CG437K, I'm older and actually need the screen real estate when I work so I don't use font scaling at all. I sit about 30" away and I can see a bit of minor color shift about 1/2 to 3/4" on each edge and If I move back to about 36" (my viewing distance when I sit back and watch media), then it's maybe the 1/8" to 1/4"on the CG437K and I don't really notice it on the FV43U, If it's there at 30" it's much much less noticeable. I doubt you'll notice any if you normally sit further away.

P.S. The photos above are all take at my normal viewing distance of about 30"

Last edited:
Hello all, I'm thinking of getting this monitor over the LG 48" CX as I'm not sure if the LG 48" CX that costs $2000 CAD is worth it over the FV43U for $1400 CAD. I have read through this thread and see that the OLED can't be beat (infinite contrast, near instant pixel response and sub pixel light control), but my question is would you buy the LG over this monitor for $600 CAD (~500 USD) more? This monitor is very tempting, but so is the LG CX. I will be using it for regular desktop use, movies and games (basically for all uses). Thanks!

Hello all, I'm thinking of getting this monitor over the LG 48" CX as I'm not sure if the LG 48" CX that costs $2000 CAD is worth it over the FV43U for $1400 CAD. I have read through this thread and see that the OLED can't be beat (infinite contrast, near instant pixel response and sub pixel light control), but my question is would you buy the LG over this monitor for $600 CAD (~500 USD) more? This monitor is very tempting, but so is the LG CX. I will be using it for regular desktop use, movies and games (basically for all uses). Thanks!

Well you said it yourself, CX can't be beat in pixel response, infinite contrast, HDR from self lit pixels and not just 8 dimming zones, and probably some other things, so obviously that's why you pay more for the CX not less or not the same amount. If those qualities don't matter to you, then obviously grab the FV43U.

I was contemplating downsizing from the CX to the FV43U, but I kept hearing that I am going to recieve a big downgrade in image quality when all things considered, even from a few users who had them side by side. So I ultimately kept the CX and didn't get the FV43U although I would love a smaller screen than 48".

Any of you FV43U owners, have you tested the Picture by Picture modes? Interested in what options are available there and how it works in practice.

What about the KVM? Seems to work over USB-B and USB-C.

Well you said it yourself, CX can't be beat in pixel response, infinite contrast, HDR from self lit pixels and not just 8 dimming zones, and probably some other things, so obviously that's why you pay more for the CX not less or not the same amount. If those qualities don't matter to you, then obviously grab the FV43U.

I was contemplating downsizing from the CX to the FV43U, but I kept hearing that I am going to recieve a big downgrade in image quality when all things considered, even from a few users who had them side by side. So I ultimately kept the CX and didn't get the FV43U although I would love a smaller screen than 48".
Yea, I just wasn't sure if it was 600 CAD worth the difference, but seeing comparisons here and on newegg reviews, the general take is that this doesn't come close to the CX in terms of picture quality which I'm after. It really would've been nice to have this monitor due to the size and brightness, though it looks like I'm going with the CX.

I actually had a 77" CX and dumped it for a Samsung 75" Q90T. The CX is only good if you work in a Dark/dim environment. Infinite contrast is a myth and the very aggressive ABL they have to use to even achieve the dismal 800 nits means you're seeing an altered image than what was streamed or encoded. About the only advantage that remains is the Pixel response but the FV43U is quite good in the respect so it all depends on how sensitive you are. I wouldn't trade it for a C1 even if they come up with a 42" model and if I'm going up to 48"-50". I'll still take a 50" Samsung QN90A over a C1 since I work in a fair amount of ambient lights.

Last edited:
I actually had a 77" CX and dumped it for a Samsung 75" Q90T. The CX is only good if you work in a Dark/dim environment. Infinite contrast is a myth and the very aggressive ABL they have to use to even achieve the dismal 800 nits means you're seeing an altered image than what was streamed or encoded. About the only advantage that remains is the Pixel response but the FV43U is quite good in the respect so it all depends on how sensitive you are. I wouldn't trade it for a C1 even if they come up with a 42" model and if I'm going up to 48"-50". I'll still take a 50" Samsung QN90A over a C1 since I work in a fair amount of ambient lights.
That's very interesting. I think the only way to settle this is to have them side by side for testing. My room during the day is filled with ambient light (from outside; the window is right beside where the monitor would be) and at night with a single light above as I rarely use the display in a dark room. The problem with having both displays though, is Newegg's return policy for the FV43U as I'm not sure it can be returned if you're just dissatisfied with it (unless you can?) as in Canada, Newegg is the only place to get it.

That's very interesting. I think the only way to settle this is to have them side by side for testing. My room during the day is filled with ambient light (from outside; the window is right beside where the monitor would be) and at night with a single light above as I rarely use the display in a dark room. The problem with having both displays though, is Newegg's return policy for the FV43U as I'm not sure it can be returned if you're just dissatisfied with it (unless you can?) as in Canada, Newegg is the only place to get it.

Here's what a Sony AG9 (C9 panel) looks like in a well lit room and what my Q90T looks like. Both room have more ambient light than my office but you get the idea. and you can see the pictures I shot of the FV43U at my office a few message up.

Sony AG9 OLED, Notice the blooming around the sub-title so there goes the no blooming myth. This is also the aggressive ABL in action. It dims the rest of the screen to give highlight to what it think is a bright object so the brightness of the sub-title is way above normal causing bright light to bleed onto the surrounding area thus blooming.

IMG_8881.jpg

IMG_8880.jpg

Q90T not great but at least watchable and the sub-title does not go nearly as bright and actually looks much better and more natural.

IMG_9036.jpg

IMG_9034.jpg

I actually bought into the hype after seeing the AG9 at night (before I took these daytime pictures) so I bought a 77" CX to replace my KS9500 only to find out that while the CX was marginally better at night, it's pretty much sub par to my KS9500 during the day and the reflections alone was killing me. So I dumped it after 2 months and got myself a Q90T and I'm quite happy with it. I wish I had some pictures of how the CX look at my house but I was so upset with it that I never bother to take any pictures. Luckily the person I sold it to does not want the box so it's still sitting in my office store room.

IMG_8856 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Here's what a Sony AG9 (C9 panel) looks like in a well lit room and what my Q90T looks like. Both room have more ambient light than my office but you get the idea. and you can see the pictures I shot of the FV43U at my office a few message up.

Sony AG9 OLED, Notice the blooming around the sub-title so there goes the no blooming myth. This is also the aggressive ABL in action. It dims the rest of the screen to give highlight to what it's think is a bright object so the brightness of the sub-title is way above normal causing bright light to bleed onto the surrounding area thus blooming.

View attachment 362461

View attachment 362462

Q90T not great but at least watchable and the sub-title does not go nearly as bright and actually looks much better and more natural.

View attachment 362463

View attachment 362464

I actually bought into the hype after seeing the AG9 at night (before I took these daytime pictures) so I bought a 77" CX to replace my KS9500 only to find out that while the CX was marginally better at night, it's pretty much sub par to my KS9500 during the day and the reflections alone was killing me. So I dumped it after 2 months and got myself a Q90T and I'm quite happy with it. I wish I had some pictures of how the CX look at my house but I was so upset with it that I never bother to take any pictures. Luckily the person I sold it to does not want the box so it's still sitting in my office store room.

View attachment 362468
I currently have a LG 27" 27UD59 (4k 60Hz IPS) where I tried the ASUS 27" XG27UQ (4k 144Hz IPS) and returned it as I've given up on IPS due to the picture quality offered (low contrast, blooming and IPS glow). Seeing how the FV43U is $600 cheaper and is at a size I'm more comfortable with, I may try this first. Thanks for the reference pics!

Any of you FV43U owners, have you tested the Picture by Picture modes? Interested in what options are available there and how it works in practice.

What about the KVM? Seems to work over USB-B and USB-C.

I've used the Picture by Picture just for a few minutes. I don't like the fact that enabling it forces the monitor to 60Hz. other than that, it seems to work great, you can choose which corner/location and 3 different sizes.

KVM works just like any other KVM except one input/upstream must be USB-C. I have it configured to toggle from "USB-B and DisplayPort", to "HDMI and USB-C" since my other PC does not have USB-C video. You can toggle with the remote by just pressing 1 button. You get a black screen for maybe 2 seconds when switching.

I've used the Picture by Picture just for a few minutes. I don't like the fact that enabling it forces the monitor to 60Hz. other than that, it seems to work great, you can choose which corner/location and 3 different sizes.

KVM works just like any other KVM except one input/upstream must be USB-C. I have it configured to toggle from "USB-B and DisplayPort", to "HDMI and USB-C" since my other PC does not have USB-C video. You can toggle with the remote by just pressing 1 button. You get a black screen for maybe 2 seconds when switching.

I think you mean Picture IN picture though? Picture by Picture should be splitting the screen.

Amazon (German) has just chanceled my Asus XG43UQ pre-order which should be delivered in the next 1-4 weeks for 1366 euros :-(

Alternate (Germany) seems to have it on stock for 1499, but the Aorus is in Stock for 1099 Euro at a local Store (computeruniverse). I think I will buy the Aorus instead :/

Amazon (German) has just chanceled my Asus XG43UQ pre-order which should be delivered in the next 1-4 weeks for 1366 euros :-(

Alternate (Germany) seems to have it on stock for 1499, but the Aorus is in Stock for 1099 Euro at a local Store (computeruniverse). I think I will buy the Aorus instead :/
Is there a reason you went with the XG43UQ over the FV43U?

I have pre-ordered before the Aorus was released. I have checked every (!) forum post or news every day ( :D ) about both monitors to get an idea of the ASUS have something special.
So, no i have no direct reason why I didn’t the Aorus after its release.

i had hoped the asus has a killer feature to beat the Aorus ;) at the Moment it seems the Aorus has a benefit with qled, but I don’t know if ELMB is something nice compared tongue Aorus.

Anyone has fine custom setting for the Aorus? :)
Just read for example HDR1000 is proposed not HDR Gaming or HDR Movei

Back