GIGABYTE AORUS FV43U 43 inch 4k 144 HDR1000 QLED monitor

I don't use HDR outside of gaming. In SDR mode I have my monitor calibrated to 150 nits.

Well, you see how much ambient light I get even with the shades closed and that's not even during the late afternoon when the sun is direct on the window. I really don't want to have to install blackout curtains. I also run the backlight in eco mode so it will dim the screen at low light at night.

Last edited:
I copped one because the 42 inch OLED will take some time to come out and the LCD TVs around that size are total disappointment this year.

I also used this coupon code to save $100: empusa2021
Came out around $900 for me.

That price came into my inbox and I cancelled my pending cx 48 and pulled the trigger. I think after 5 years I have decided my Wasabi Mango 55 is just too big for 2-3 feet away. I definitely believed all of you about the greatness of the cx but I had 2 reasons to hesitate. Brightness(I hate gaming or watching movies in a dark room) and I do have anxiety about burn-in. I know it can be mitigated but I just don't want the hassle or worry. I want to plug in play and leave the thing on for 8 hours a day for 5 years. So I am going to give this a shot, I will report back.
If you contact their support regarding the EMPUSA2021 code, they might reduce the cost for you.

Looks interesting, but I'll wait for reviews. I want a screen without a cooling fan. Until I can ascertain it I'll pass on buying even if its a launch sale price.

Looks interesting, but I'll wait for reviews. I want a screen without a cooling fan. Until I can ascertain it I'll pass on buying even if its a launch sale price.
This display has no cooling fan. There is no Gsync HDR module.

I bought this and it will arrive tomorrow. I'm so sick of my CX that I'm willing to use this as a stop gap for a while.

I'll let you guys know how terrible it is tomorrow.

I bought this and it will arrive tomorrow. I'm so sick of my CX that I'm willing to use this as a stop gap for a while.

Hey if you can let us know if it has a cooling fan or internal power supply that would be good. Those are no-go for me since I have a pretty quiet treated room and a very quiet PC. I can't stand loud/buzzing monitors.

Also if you can report on color shift/viewing angles too that would help. (I assume since you have an oled it will be a jarring transition either way).

What are your complaints about the CX? Just the sheer size of it?

I would expect the Gigabyte would be a huge step down in image quality at least for HDR but will handle text rendering a bit better and obviously does not require any mitigations.

I recently tried my Samsung CRG9 (VA panel) vs my LG CX 48" running some YouTube videos for comparison and in SDR they actually look reasonably similar but the motion and HDR performance are just from a different planet.

What are your complaints about the CX? Just the sheer size of it?

I would expect the Gigabyte would be a huge step down in image quality at least for HDR but will handle text rendering a bit better and obviously does not require any mitigations.

I recently tried my Samsung CRG9 (VA panel) vs my LG CX 48" running some YouTube videos for comparison and in SDR they actually look reasonably similar but the motion and HDR performance are just from a different planet.
The size and I'm just really tired of the baby sitting and hassle. Image quality is amazing but I may be willing to sacrifice it for convenience.

The determining factor here really is whether the Gigabyte is a mess in motion and IMO that is the CX's greatest benefit for me personally.

The size and I'm just really tired of the baby sitting and hassle. Image quality is amazing but I may be willing to sacrifice it for convenience.

The determining factor here really is whether the Gigabyte is a mess in motion and IMO that is the CX's greatest benefit for me personally.
I have over 3000 hours on my c9 and have zero issues with burn in. I have had a lot of static content on it too. I had no fear buying a cx for use with my PC. Honestly I find it extremely difficult to go back to anything else after having OLEDs for the past couple years.

Why are you even bothering to babysit it? I have completely disabled ASBL and have forgotten all about babysitting it and have just been using it like a normal monitor now. If you just look at RTings burn in testing, which was conducted looping the same content at 200 nits for 20 hours per day, you'll realize that burn in is pretty much a non issue even for people using their OLED as a monitor 8-10 hours a day.

Just to put things into perspective, here is a 50% grey slide of the OLED after 102 weeks of looping FIFA content for 20 hours per day at 200 nits. If this is the worst burn in that the TV has gotten after 102 weeks (or over 14,000 hours), then someone like me who uses my OLED for 1/3 the amount of time per day and at half the brightness level of 100 nits really has nothing to worry about and neither should you. Unless you blast your OLED at max brightness for 20 hours a day.

Attachments

• real-burn-in-week-102-tv-5-gray-large.jpg
    real-burn-in-week-102-tv-5-gray-large.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Why are you even bothering to babysit it? I have completely disabled ASBL and have forgotten all about babysitting it and have just been using it like a normal monitor now. If you just look at RTings burn in testing, which was conducted looping the same content at 200 nits for 20 hours per day, you'll realize that burn in is pretty much a non issue even for people using their OLED as a monitor 8-10 hours a day.

Just to put things into perspective, here is a 50% grey slide of the OLED after 102 weeks of looping FIFA content for 20 hours per day at 200 nits. If this is the worst burn in that the TV has gotten after 102 weeks (or over 14,000 hours), then someone like me who uses my OLED for 1/3 the amount of time per day and at half the brightness level of 100 nits really has nothing to worry about and neither should you. Unless you blast your OLED at max brightness for 20 hours a day.
I think the fear a lot of people that get about burn in is from seeing it on display units in stores. You where they are on 12 hours+ a day looping the same same thing. Stores typically crank up the brightness up the max and never properly shut the TV down. Most stores just flip a break to shut entire sections down and the TV never gets to do it's pixel refresh. Most TVs would have some kind of failure under those conditions.

I think the fear a lot of people that get about burn in is from seeing it on display units in stores. You where they are on 12 hours+ a day looping the same same thing. Stores typically crank up the brightness up the max and never properly shut the TV down. Most stores just flip a break to shut entire sections down and the TV never gets to do it's pixel refresh. Most TVs would have some kind of failure under those conditions.
I have even managed to see an LCD get burn in. It was an info/ad TV installed at a local shopping mall that I was managing at one point. Eventually a white banner on one of the ads burned in to the screen. This was sometime around 2007 so display tech has of course improved from those days and it was a cheap TV to begin with.

My parents still use my old Panasonic ST50 plasma TV that is over 8 years old now. Still excellent image quality and motion for 1080p. Zero issues with that one and zero issues with either of my LG OLEDs (C9 and CX).

When someone grabs one of these displays, could you confirm it can do 4k 120hz 10bit 4:4:4 over hdmi2.1, the specs on their website do not tell us anything whether it supports the full 48GBbit/s spec.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I use it 10-12 hours a day for work/play. Whether that's programming or HDR gaming I can induce temporary image retention pretty easily.

No way in a million years I'd use it like a normal monitor with desktop icons and taskbar.

The babysitting is so that I can dump it defect free for a decent chunk of change once something better comes along. If I didn't care about retaining it's value sure I'd do as mentioned above but displays are always 6 month 1 year temporary fixtures on my desk.

When someone grabs one of these displays, could you confirm it can do 4k 120hz 10bit 4:4:4 over hdmi2.1, the specs on their website do not tell us anything whether it supports the full 48GBbit/s spec.
You don't need the full 48 Gbps bandwidth for that. 40 Gbps is enough like on the LG CX. You only need the full bandwidth if you want 12-bit color.

I use it 10-12 hours a day for work/play. Whether that's programming or HDR gaming I can induce temporary image retention pretty easily.

No way in a million years I'd use it like a normal monitor with desktop icons and taskbar.

The babysitting is so that I can dump it defect free for a decent chunk of change once something better comes along. If I didn't care about retaining it's value sure I'd do as mentioned above but displays are always 6 month 1 year temporary fixtures on my desk.

If you only keep displays for 6 months to 1 year then that's even less reason to babysit. I figured you were babysitting it because you wanted the display to last many years but if you are going to flip it a year later why bother. If you actually manage to cause PERMANENT screen burn within a 1 year period WITH mixed usage between gaming and programming I will be seriously impressed. I already used my OLED for 10 months with mixed desktop/HDR gaming and still no burn in.

Last edited:
You don't need the full 48 Gbps bandwidth for that. 40 Gbps is enough like on the LG CX. You only need the full bandwidth if you want 12-bit color.
The reason I bring it up is I saw this on their spec sheet.

"HDMI2.1 supports PS5 and XBOX series X/S at 4K UHD@120Hz (4:2:0)"

That would lead me to believe it's not even 40Gbps. We know PS5 caps out at 32Gbps and XSX is 40Gbps, so I'm worried it's a gimped hdmi 2.1 implementation.

Ok for anyone interested my impressions are going to sound super negative but keep in mind my frame of reference is the CX. Despite this, it is by far the best attempt in the 40-43" space so far.

The panel is BGR as far as I can tell (can someone confirm with the picture attached) and for me text quality is superior to the CX but still obviously not as nice as a RGB panel, there is black smear, only 8 dimming zones that consist of 4 vertical columns split between top and bottom half of the panel and there are some really questionable firmware choices with the major one being enabling local dimming locks you out of brightness control. Otherwise color space is selectable between sRGB, Adobe and DCI-P3 which is nice.

On to it's motion performance. There are 5 or so overdrive settings with only 1 being the obvious choice. Between Off, Smart, Picture Quality, Balanced, Speed, - Balanced offers the best performance to my eye and teeters right along the edge of no overshoot and barely noticeable overshoot for those with a keen eye. Smart and Speed result in overshoot galore. This panel seems about as fast as the 32GK850G I had in regards to black smear (maybe slightly better actually) and no where near as slow as the XG43Q or CG437K/PG43UQ. In lighter color transitions it's actually pretty damn fast.

Viewing angles are typical VA and you need to be a good distance away to prevent the sides/corners from turning "brown" and losing gamma. My biggest issue with mine is uniformity, it's overall very clean in terms of DSE except for 2 pretty large vertical bars. Haven't tested how effective it's VRR implementation or whether the OD falls apart with it engaged but the range is 48-144hz for anyone curious.

Had I not owned an OLED I think this would have been a keeper and if it had some form of decent FALD I would dump the CX right now. As is local dimming performance is rather poor in the most stressful tests like subtitles but in actual gaming it's pretty nice (RE:Village). Side by side with my CX the increase in brightness has a pretty significant impact. I can actually give this thing a recommendation overall. Speakers are actually pretty decent too.

Anyway if you have any questions let me know.

EDIT: VRR implementation is solid as far as Nvidia GPU is concerned. LFC works and the transition doesn't cause stutter. There is very very minor flicker when you force big 50-60 FPS swings but for 99% of scenarios VRR is great.

Attachments

• 20210507_184553.jpg
    20210507_184553.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210507_190318.jpg
    20210507_190318.jpg
    829.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Ok for anyone interested my impressions are going to sound super negative but keep in mind my frame of reference is the CX. Despite this, it is by far the best attempt in the 40-43" space so far.

The panel is BGR as far as I can tell (can someone confirm with the picture attached) and for me text quality is superior to the CX but still obviously not as nice as a RGB panel, there is black smear, only 8 dimming zones that consist of 4 vertical columns split between top and bottom half of the panel and there are some really questionable firmware choices with the major one being enabling local dimming locks you out of brightness control. Otherwise color space is selectable between sRGB, Adobe and DCI-P3 which is nice.

On to it's motion performance. There are 5 or so overdrive settings with only 1 being the obvious choice. Between Off, Smart, Picture Quality, Balanced, Speed, - Balanced offers the best performance to my eye and teeters right along the edge of no overshoot and barely noticeable overshoot for those with a keen eye. Smart and Speed result in overshoot galore. This panel seems about as fast as the 32GK850G I had in regards to black smear (maybe slightly better actually) and no where near as slow as the XG43Q or CG437K/PG43UQ. In lighter color transitions it's actually pretty damn fast.

Viewing angles are typical VA and you need to be a good distance away to prevent the sides/corners from turning "brown" and losing gamma. My biggest issue with mine is uniformity, it's overall very clean in terms of DSE except for 2 pretty large vertical bars. Haven't tested how effective it's VRR implementation or whether the OD falls apart with it engaged but the range is 48-144hz for anyone curious.

Had I not owned an OLED I think this would have been a keeper and if it had some form of decent FALD I would dump the CX right now. As is local dimming performance is rather poor in the most stressful tests like subtitles but in actual gaming it's pretty nice (RE:Village). Side by side with my CX the increase in brightness has a pretty significant impact. I can actually give this thing a recommendation overall. Speakers are actually pretty decent too.

Anyway if you have any questions let me know.

EDIT: VRR implementation is solid as far as Nvidia GPU is concerned. LFC works and the transition doesn't cause stutter. There is very very minor flicker when you force big 50-60 FPS swings but for 99% of scenarios VRR is great.
Thanks for your review, seems like baby steps to fix the issues of the earlier 43" models. The BGR subpixel thing is still inexcusable and if I were to buy one of these I'd probably try to mount it upside down just to avoid that.

I had not even considered VA viewing angles as I have been fine with them on my Samsung CRG9. But on a screen this big and not curved those problems are probably highlighted.

With the price fairly close to the LG OLEDs I would not spring for this one. How do you feel the size difference helps? What viewing distance did you use with the CX?

Thanks for your review, seems like baby steps to fix the issues of the earlier 43" models. The BGR subpixel thing is still inexcusable and if I were to buy one of these I'd probably try to mount it upside down just to avoid that.

I had not even considered VA viewing angles as I have been fine with them on my Samsung CRG9. But on a screen this big and not curved those problems are probably highlighted.

With the price fairly close to the LG OLEDs I would not spring for this one. How do you feel the size difference helps? What viewing distance did you use with the CX?

For me personally the size of the 43 is much more ideal. In reality side by side they don't appear physically much different but the biggest improvement to me is the reduction in vertical height (even if it's only like 4cm). I sit roughly 2m away from a CX and really think you need to be that same distance from this Gigabyte in order to compensate for it's poor viewing angles because not only does it lose gamma but blacks turn this strange yellow/green off angle.

All buying this monitor did is make me really appreciate the CX. There's such a massive difference in pixel response that I dunno how I can ever transition back to a LCD even if the greatest one on the planet popped up.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
This BGR pixel arrangement is truly confounding. If the panel can be mounted either way (or even attached to a stand) why ship it with an “upside down” arrangement that makes text fuzzier? It’s an automatic ding from the better review sites and people who visit forums like this one at the least. Just confounding.

For me personally the size of the 43 is much more ideal. In reality side by side they don't appear physically much different but the biggest improvement to me is the reduction in vertical height (even if it's only like 4cm). I sit roughly 2m away from a CX and really think you need to be that same distance from this Gigabyte in order to compensate for it's poor viewing angles because not only does it lose gamma but blacks turn this strange yellow/green off angle.

All buying this monitor did is make me really appreciate the CX. There's such a massive difference in pixel response that I dunno how I can ever transition back to a LCD even if the greatest one on the planet popped up.
Makes sense, I often find I avoid putting windows in the top portion of my CX because it's more awkward to look there.

I don't know if it's a typo but 2m viewing distance is a lot. I have mine at 1m and at 2m I would probably have to use 150% or more scaling which shrinks the available desktop space a lot.

Makes sense, I often find I avoid putting windows in the top portion of my CX because it's more awkward to look there.

I don't know if it's a typo but 2m viewing distance is a lot. I have mine at 1m and at 2m I would probably have to use 150% or more scaling which shrinks the available desktop space a lot.

Oh yeah whoops I mean 1.2m or just under 4Ft.

Not a bad "review" coming from a gamer's perspective, even though he's not much of a display reviewer. Good to know GSync actually works.

Reactions: zehoo
like this
For $900 it seems ok, definitely an improvement over my 2015 4k Samsung 48" TV, but why BGR? Why?

I know I will be kicking myself for buying this once the 42" LG OLEDs come out, and I can buy a 48" OLED for <$1400 now anyways.

For $900 it seems ok, definitely an improvement over my 2015 4k Samsung 48" TV, but why BGR? Why?

I know I will be kicking myself for buying this once the 42" LG OLEDs come out, and I can buy a 48" OLED for <$1400 now anyways.
BGR to cut down the cost. Otherwise it probably be twice the price. I am not expecting the 42" LG OLED to be cheap and of rumors are true it will only be 60hz.

Grabbed one just to play with. If I do end up picking up a QN90A later, I'm sure I'll find someone to pass it on to.

Last edited:
BGR to cut down the cost. Otherwise it probably be twice the price. I am not expecting the 42" LG OLED to be cheap and of rumors are true it will only be 60hz.
Im just wondering how much I’ll regret buying this if I go with it over a CX48? But then I will be using it as my sole display, so my concern with burn in with the CX48 is pretty high.

The CX48 is only on sale at Costco for a few more days so that’s how long I have to decide.

The difference in overall picture quality between this and the CX is massive. Contrast, viewing angles, pixel response - CX is in a different league.

If you're someone who has never used an OLED then you'll be just as enthusiastic about the Gigabyte as the video review guy above (general consumer). I've already recommended it to some friends still stuck on Wasabi Mangos and other Korean 40" monitors.

If you are a display snob like many of us here are and especially if coming from a OLED, this monitor won't cut it.

I've decided to just abuse the CX at this point and not care about image retention. If anything happens I'll just buy the next best thing at that time which by the looks of things won't arrive for another year (potential 42").

The difference in overall picture quality between this and the CX is massive. Contrast, viewing angles, pixel response - CX is in a different league.

If you're someone who has never used an OLED then you'll be just as enthusiastic about the Gigabyte as the video review guy above (general consumer). I've already recommended it to some friends still stuck on Wasabi Mangos and other Korean 40" monitors.

If you are a display snob like many of us here are and especially if coming from a OLED, this monitor won't cut it.

I've decided to just abuse the CX at this point and not care about image retention. If anything happens I'll just buy the next best thing at that time which by the looks of things won't arrive for another year (potential 42").
That is my thinking. I paid $1000 for my CX and I will be happy if I get a few years out of it. I expect a lot more out of it. I got more then 3000 hours on my c9 and have yet to see any burn in. I watch a lot of things with static content on it too.

I'm surprised no one has tested/commented on the "Adaptive Aim Stabilizer" which is VRR+strobe backlight combined. One of its main selling features IMO. It's literally a header item on the main menu screen of the display.

I'm surprised no one has tested/commented on the "Adaptive Aim Stabilizer" which is VRR+strobe backlight combined. One of its main selling features IMO. It's literally a header item on the main menu screen of the display.
Yeah I completely forgot to test this but it's boxed and being sold tomorrow so oh well.

Back