Gigabyte AORUS FO48U 48" 4K 120Hz OLED

Thanks for pointing me to this thread Teraphantom, I had forgotten about it.
How does this Aorus do in terms of brightness? Is it anything like the LG TVs with the ABL or ASBL? Also I noticed it has displayport, what is the maximum refresh rate? Seems like it has good color accuracy & contrast.
Max refresh rate is 120Hz. Tried overclocking it with the nVidia control panel, but it just tells me that's unsupported even without attempting to change the resolution. To be honest I don't notice a major deficit compared to my old 144Hz monitor. The actual pixel response rate is fast enough that it still seems less blurry - though still not quite CRT level in terms of motion resolution. Displayport works well. Supports 4k120 @ 10-bit (via DSC). The USB-C port supports the same as long as DSC set to "On" instead of "auto". That should be more or less the same as your FV43U

Brightness seems acceptable to me. I don't have a real light meter -- Tom's hardware apparently measured 400 nits with a full field image, which if true seems to be much brighter than what OLEDs typically allow at 100%. To be honest, I'm not sure I buy that - it seems a bit brighter than the Sony A8H in my living room, but I don't think over twice as bright (granted perception of nits doesn't really scale linearly).

I don't find the ABL to be super intrusive (behavior seems improved with the F04 firwmare version), but you can tell the 100% whites are certainly not as bright as 10%. In real world content I haven't noticed it too much. I don't think I've run into ABSL yet - I don't think I have static content displayed long enough to hit it -- I do have a dynamic wallpaper on my desktop, I wonder if that's causing it not to trigger. If the gigabyte manual is to be believed, doesn't seem like their version of ABSL starts kicking in until the image has been static for 5 minutes, which I think is acceptable. From what I read, on the LGs it triggers around 90 seconds.

Biggest issue right now is that the HDR meta data seems to be screwed up. Actually would be curious to see what your FV43U shows with the DisplayHDR Test app to see if Gigabyte screwed it up for all of their new monitors.

Last edited:
Max refresh rate is 120Hz. Tried overclocking it with the nVidia control panel, but it just tells me that's unsupported even without attempting to change the resolution. To be honest I don't notice a major deficit compared to my old 144Hz monitor. The actual pixel response rate is fast enough that it still seems less blurry - though still not quite CRT level in terms of motion resolution. Displayport works well. Supports 4k120 @ 10-bit (via DSC). The USB-C port supports the same as long as DSC set to "On" instead of "auto". That should be more or less the same as your FV43U

Brightness seems acceptable to me. I don't have a real light meter -- Tom's hardware apparently measured 400 nits with a full field image, which if true seems to be much brighter than what OLEDs typically allow at 100%. To be honest, I'm not sure I buy that - it seems a bit brighter than the Sony A8H in my living room, but I don't think over twice as bright (granted perception of nits doesn't really scale linearly).

I don't find the ABL to be super intrusive (behavior seems improved with the F04 firwmare version), but you can tell the 100% whites are certainly not as bright as 10%. In real world content I haven't noticed it too much. I don't think I've run into ABSL yet - I don't think I have static content displayed long enough to hit it -- I do have a dynamic wallpaper on my desktop, I wonder if that's causing it not to trigger. If the gigabyte manual is to be believed, doesn't seem like their version of ABSL starts kicking in until the image has been static for 5 minutes, which I think is acceptable. From what I read, on the LGs it triggers around 90 seconds.

Biggest issue right now is that the HDR meta data seems to be screwed up. Actually would be curious to see what your FV43U shows with the DisplayHDR Test app to see if Gigabyte screwed it up for all of their new monitors.
check others tom's hardware reviews (for monitors from this HDR graph on toms review) i think that was a value for a 25% window not a full as reviewer wrote it on other reviews (same values) so it makes sense, CX/C1 got 445-450 at 25% window

From: https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/SWvQruF9ChdEAny8PFj4Ng-970-80.png.webp

if you check https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-aorus-fv43u-review-king-of-the-43-inch-class/4 FV73U review you have :
". It achieved this in our tests using a 25% window pattern, while full-field measurements were around 920 nits. )"

toms hardware used the 25% window pattern value for his graph ..

Last edited:
Why are reviews on this monitor so limited. I'm super keen to jump ship from my acer predator x34p to one of these bad boys. Mainly for the display port with oled.

I will be sitting 90cm away from it which I feel is fine given the DPI at 32". (Less dpi than my current 1440p ultrawide)

Have we got a proper English video review yet anywhere? I was going to mount a 27" in portrait on either side of this if I get this monitor when it released in Aus.

Why are reviews on this monitor so limited. I'm super keen to jump ship from my acer predator x34p to one of these bad boys. Mainly for the display port with oled.

I will be sitting 90cm away from it which I feel is fine given the DPI at 32". (Less dpi than my current 1440p ultrawide)

Have we got a proper English video review yet anywhere? I was going to mount a 27" in portrait on either side of this if I get this monitor when it released in Aus.

I believe the soonest we'll get a "real" review is from Rtings.com. They bought one already so should be testing soon. Maybe in a few weeks? These are the only 3 sites (in my opinion) that do "real" monitor reviews:

https://www.rtings.com/
https://tftcentral.co.uk/
https://pcmonitors.info/

Everything else is like Linus Tech Tips or something similar (mostly personal opinions, a few graphs/charts, etc.) but nothing super in-depth to know exactly what you're getting yourself into when buying an expensive monitor.

Yes. Not sure what would have caused your EDID to corrupt. It's almost certainly fixable, just have to figure out how to get the monitor to accept EDID writes. Undoubtedly Gigabyte themselves have a way to do so.

On another note, anyone able to get any sound out of the optical out of the monitor? It lights up, but I don't get any sound to my amp. And I don't see an obvious way to switch from the internal speakers to the optical out. Sending the signal from my PC works fine, but it would be nice if I could send it from the monitor instead so that any device I hook up would send its audio to my amp.
Just to update on this, my issue was a bad optical cable. Replaced it with literally the cheapest mini toslink cable I could find on Amazon, and that's working great. Output is limited to 16-bit, 48KHz and doesn't seem to natively support dolby digital, DTS etc... but for my purposes (a pair of stereo speakers at my desk) that works fine. Haven't tested if the HDMI port allows different formats, but I doubt it.

Edit: Actually the limited formats might be an nVidia driver issue.

#Lienus review

Lol just like I said a few posts ago, a completely useless opinionated lowest common denominator review. Didn’t confirm any of the following info:

-PC 4K 120 FPS @ 10-bit 4:4:4 RGB? Or compressed?
-HDR mode yes or no?
-HDR brightness compared to LG CX/C1?
-Confirmed G-Sync compatibility through HDMI since the monitor is advertised as AMD Freesync?
-Does the VRR range extend below the advertised 48hz like the LG C1 does?
-Console 4K 120hz gaming compatibility?
Etc. Etc.

I already know the answer to most of these questions, but it would have been more helpful then just mainstream opinions.

Lol just like I said a few posts ago, a completely useless opinionated lowest common denominator review. Didn’t confirm any of the following info:

-HDR mode yes or no?
-Confirmed G-Sync compatibility through HDMI since the monitor is advertised as AMD Freesync?
Etc. Etc.

I already know the answer to most of these questions, but it would have been more helpful then just mainstream opinions.
Oh yeah....i was mesmerised by his beard and forgot about all that.

-HDR mode yes or no?
Etc. Etc.

It wasn’t a review, just a commercial. He got a free display out of it.

If you use the HDMI ports will it provide you the full RGB 4:4:4? Because I'm hearing that it is only at a reduced chroma and if that is true, that is a huge fail on Gigabyte's part.

If you use the HDMI ports will it provide you the full RGB 4:4:4? Because I'm hearing that it is only at a reduced chroma and if that is true, that is a huge fail on Gigabyte's part.
I get full RGB 4:4:4 120Hz HDR from my RTX 3090, but only get RGB 4:4:4 60Hz HDR on my PS5 (I can also use 4:2:0 120Hz, but don't want chroma subsampling). Supposedly, this is because the PS5 doesn't support DSC, and the HDMI 2.1 ports from the FO48U can only do around 24 gbps without it.

I get full RGB 4:4:4 120Hz HDR from my RTX 3090, but only get RGB 4:4:4 60Hz HDR on my PS5 (I can also use 4:2:0 120Hz, but don't want chroma subsampling). Supposedly, this is because the PS5 doesn't support DSC, and the HDMI 2.1 ports from the FO48U can only do around 24 gbps without it.
To be fair most HDR movie content afaik is 10-bit 4:2:0 and for gaming chroma subsampling can have very minimal effect, only places where it would be noticeable would be blue or red text. So for gaming I would not say it's a huge concern, especially when ones that run at 120 fps on PS5 would be fast paced shooters, racing games etc.

Still sucks that they are not full speed HDMI 2.1 ports when the LG TVs these are based on have that.

Even if the FO48U had higher bandwidth ports, the PS5 is limited to 32gbps. So maximum it can do is 4k120 at 4:2:2 - you'll never get a full RGB or 4:4:4 signal at 4k120 out of the PS5 unless Sony figures out a way to add DSC after the fact.

Looks like my panel has just started failing already. There are lines running through the screen after turning it on, then after about 20 seconds, major artifacts shows up on the screen for a second and then it force shuts off itself.

Video here:

Same thing happens on all inputs both DP and HDMI with any device/PC connected. The artifacts also effects the OSD so I'm certain its the panel itself failing. I've tried swapping to different cables, changing power outlets, and but same happens. I'm pretty sure this panel is fubar'd.

This is sad because I had just got it replaced by Newegg a few weeks ago because of that strange dimming behavior I mentioned earlier in this thread and this panel only has 7 hours of usage on it. I'll try third replacement but given the persistent issues with the auto-dimming and force panel protection shutdown triggering all the time, I'm at my limit with frustration trying to make this thing work.

Anyone else's monitor's seemingly stop counting the hours? Mine seems to be stuck at 8 hours, but I'm quite certain I've used it a good bit more than that. Normally I wouldn't really care, but I think the pixel refresher activation is linked to that counter.

Otherwise I really don't have any other issues with this thing. No artifacts, no strange dimming issues, ABL seems tolerable, their equivalent of ABSL doesn't seem to trigger in my typical usage.

Edit: Of course now that I posted this it hit 9 hours. Either the timer is bugged and counting too slow, or perhaps it only increments if the monitor has been on consecutively 1+ hours (i.e the increment is set back to zero if I turn it off after a 45 minute session).

Last edited:
Anyone else's monitor's seemingly stop counting the hours? Mine seems to be stuck at 8 hours, but I'm quite certain I've used it a good bit more than that. Normally I wouldn't really care, but I think the pixel refresher activation is linked to that counter.

Otherwise I really don't have any other issues with this thing. No artifacts, no strange dimming issues, ABL seems tolerable, their equivalent of ABSL doesn't seem to trigger in my typical usage.

Edit: Of course now that I posted this it hit 9 hours. Either the timer is bugged and counting too slow, or perhaps it only increments if the monitor has been on consecutively 1+ hours (i.e the increment is set back to zero if I turn it off after a 45 minute session).
Finally got around to making an account here. Howdy!

Mine resets to 5 hours after waking up from standby or powering on. But after being on for an hour it counts up like normal. Still think the counter is bugged and the FO48U definitely needs another firmware update. Especially for the sus HDR peak brightness readout.

I'm about ready to return this thing. The flickering issue is getting really annoying and now mine is having boot loop issues about 50% of the time when I turn it on.

-HDR mode yes or no?
Etc. Etc.

Yeah I don't know what this "review" was supposed to be..
It was like some rich kid went to microcenter, bought the biggest monitor in the store, got it home and was like "yeah it's pretty good".
I felt the same with his CX review.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't know what this "review" was supposed to be..
It was like some rich kid when to microcenter, bought the biggest monitor in the store, got it home and was like "yeah it's pretty good".
I felt the same with his CX review.

Because it's not a review, it's a sponsored video. It says so in the description and he says that right at the beginning of the video.

It's paid advertising for the monitor. They aren't going to point out any shortcomings or flaws in it.

Somewhat impulsively purchased this monitor last week to round out my new desk setup.

So far so good for me with no major issues with the display. I have used it 8+ hours a day for work/gaming since Friday. The KVM switch is a nice feature for switching between my work laptop (USB-C) and Desktop Rig with 2080 Ti (Display Port). Sound quality from the display while not great is good enough for me to ditch my desktop speakers. I still use head phones when gaming. My biggest complaint is when displaying applications that use a white background and the display does the auto dimming to protect itself. I just turned on dark mode for the applications I use and that helped out a lot. Gaming on it is pretty awesome!

I had been using a Acer X34 previously for reference.

Finally got around to making an account here. Howdy!

Mine resets to 5 hours after waking up from standby or powering on. But after being on for an hour it counts up like normal. Still think the counter is bugged and the FO48U definitely needs another firmware update. Especially for the sus HDR peak brightness readout.
Yeah mine was resetting, but I unplugged it and replugged it back into the wall and it seems to be counting again. Will see how it goes. I did send a support request to Gigabyte anyway.

The panel usage time is completely broken, the protection is not linked to it tho. My 'panel usage' is 20 hours and my 'APCS sending time' is 42.

Even if the FO48U had higher bandwidth ports, the PS5 is limited to 32gbps. So maximum it can do is 4k120 at 4:2:2 - you'll never get a full RGB or 4:4:4 signal at 4k120 out of the PS5 unless Sony figures out a way to add DSC after the fact.
4k120 4:4:4 @ 10bit is 32gbps

Whats more, 4k120 4:4:4 @ 8bit is 25gbps, which is supported on DP 1.3 and 1.4, yet this monitor will not do without DSC.

Last edited:

Attachments

• hdmi-2.1-fig-1-resolution-tabe.jpg
    hdmi-2.1-fig-1-resolution-tabe.jpg
    370.9 KB · Views: 1
4k120 4:4:4 @ 10bit is 32gbps

Whats more, 4k120 4:4:4 @ 8bit is 25gbps, which is supported on DP 1.3 and 1.4, yet this monitor will not do without DSC.
You need to check your math. It’s approximately 40gbps and 32 gbps respectively.

Bought this display 2 days ago. Experienced the annoying dimming problem with HDR. Display came with F02 installed, flashed F04 yesterday, no joy. Start Chrome this morning and it loads my previous tabs to reveal F05 Beta posted (Thinking in my mind, no fing way). Flashed F05 Beta right away and holy crap, problem is solved and what a difference. I feel for anyone that had to wait this long, but I have to feel that it was meant to be that 2 days after I receive the panel, there's an update to resolve the one deal-breaking issue for me whether I was keeping it or not.

Very happy at this point. I hope they keep up the firmware updates and that F05, or F06, resolves the remaining quirks that everyone is having issue with. So far, I like the display. I use the KVM since I always have two PCs at my desk (either two desktops or a laptop and desktop). G-sync is working for me just fine (even though it has the text that it wasn't officially certified or whatever). The picture is fantastic for my use and location. It doesn't have any of the Smart TV stuff confusing the interface and remote. Have 30 days to truly decide and swap for the C1, but so far so good. Let's see what you else you guys run into, I'll be paying attention for sure.

Can you elaborate a little on the HDR dimming problem you were having? Are you referring to ASBL or ABL?

Back