Gigabyte AORUS FO48U 48" 4K 120Hz OLED

Well the display does have two HDMI ports so you can use both your PC and PS5 via HDMI. But the DisplayPort is fine. Below 48Hz the GPU will just use LFC so your effective range is still 1 - 120

As far as the HDR - By the objective measurements, the LG CX/C1 offers a superior HDR experience. This monitor is clearly capable of offering the same considering it’s the same panel as the C1, but the firmware obviously needs work in that area, and it is unclear if Gigabyte will bother.

With that said, subjectively I find the HDR on this thing to work really nicely. the highlights mixed with the inky blacks offer a dynamic range that really pops compared to other monitors. And compared to my Sony A8H in my living room (which on paper offers similar HDR to the LGs), I didn’t find the experience to feel very different even if RTING’s measurements say it should.

Javsp

n00b
OK, I see. Another thing I'd also like to know is how this monitor deals with reflections. Is the same glossy panel as the LG OLED TVs? My room is not so bright and it wouldn't be a huge problem but I personally don't like to sit in front of a giant black mirror.

On the other hand, I don't understand why there are a few reviews of this monitor if it has one of the best panels (if not the best one).

VistaVick2

n00b
Probably because people aren't sure if it's supposed to be a monitor or tv, and different publications usually deal with each.

Seyumi

Limp Gawd
Hardware Unboxed review

Thanks. Pretty much confirmed all the findings/comparisons from Rtings.com as well. The Displayport isn't worth all the downgrades. I bet Gigabyte would have a winner on their hands if they just stuck a big ass heatsink on the back of the display and surpassed the LG in SDR & HDR brightness (not sure if it's that easy, but seems to be the case with other TV's). I think that's the only way it's going to compete and can get away with it since computer monitors don't necessarily need to be ultra razer thin like TV's have been trending towards over the years (makes some sense since many people like to wall mount their TV's).

Javsp

n00b
They (Gigabyte) could also sell this monitor cheaper than the LG C1 48". I think that would be the best way to compete. But the truth is that the LG TV is 350€ cheaper than this monitor in my country (Spain) and it's a bit hard to choose this option despite of having a really good panel.

kasakka

2[H]4U
Yeah real shame it doesn't match the LG CX/C1 performance as the Gigabyte does have a good feature set. Hopefully this is more of a test run for them and if LG does release that 42" model, maybe Gigabyte will make their version with the same panel and correct some of the issues.

Javsp

n00b
Yeah real shame it doesn't match the LG CX/C1 performance as the Gigabyte does have a good feature set. Hopefully this is more of a test run for them and if LG does release that 42" model, maybe Gigabyte will make their version with the same panel and correct some of the issues.
If I'm not wrong that 42" model will mount an OLED EVO panel which it will not only be a brighter panel but also it will prolong the TV life (specially when you are gonna use it as a PC monitor most of the time).

SoCali

Limp Gawd
Looks like its intentional on Gigabytes part for the sake of longevity. They do have a 3 year warranty unlike LG’a 1 year.

sharknice

2[H]4U
If I'm not wrong that 42" model will mount an OLED EVO panel which it will not only be a brighter panel but also it will prolong the TV life (specially when you are gonna use it as a PC monitor most of the time).

Some of LG's 48" C1s use "Evo" panels already. They're basically phasing out the old panels and using the non-evo panels they have left for every model except the G1 which is guaranteed to have an evo panel.

Javsp

n00b
Some of LG's 48" C1s use "Evo" panels already. They're basically phasing out the old panels and using the non-evo panels they have left for every model except the G1 which is guaranteed to have an evo panel.
Really? I thought EVO panels were exclusive to G1 and superior series in 2021. Is there any way to recognize an EVO panel in a C1 TV?

SoCali

Limp Gawd
Yeah you go into the service menu and it will show the panel model as WBE. WBC is the older non Evo.

There is no way to tell from just the box or serial number.