Gigabyte AMD AORUS PRO B550I: No Post, No Video, No Error Beeps -- SOLVED!

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
UPDATE 11/27/2022: Thanks to the gracious HARDOCP member "learners permit" who sent me a known good 3600X. I installed the 3600X on 11/17 and I have had zero errors or problems. The problem was a bad AMD 3600 CPU.

--------Original Post Below---------

I recently had the same problem with a B450 board, after running it with no problems for 2.5 years. I bought the same board, upgraded to the B550, and no less than 2 months in, same problem.

B450I Aorus Pro ITX
B550I Aorus Pro AX
-------

I first noticed something was not right about 3 weeks ago when I pushed the power button and the RGB lights quickly flashed (I have the option for all lighting to be off on start). Then about a week later I was saving the BIOS changes, and it failed to recycle and post (shut off and restart post and boot). Then, about week after that, I got the dreaded no post no video deal. Unplugged it, bleed off any power, and it posted and booted.

PROBLEM: No Post no Video. Intermittent or no post into BIOS. No Beep codes when speaker is attached to beep header, even with RAM out. After final testing, I could not get it to post at all.
-- Used different monitors and cables (HDMI and DP)
--Swapped RAM and use Different RAM, one stick then 2 sticks
--Breadboraded MB with no attachments
--Use 2 different video cards, one AMD and one nVida
--Reset BIOS
--Reseated CPU
--Reseated all power connections

RESULT: Booted to windows after BIOS reset a couple of times. After restarting again, no boot, no video. Booted a couple of times into BIOS, but failed to post on restart from BIOS with no video. Last try: No post after resetting bios again with multiple cycles and power offs, no video, no error beeps on installed speaker.

Last edited:
I recently had the same problem with a B450 board, after running it with no problems for 2.5 years. I bought the same board, upgraded to the B550, and no less than 2 months in, same problem.

B450I Aorus Pro ITX
B550I Aorus Pro AX
-------

I first noticed something was not right about 3 weeks ago when I pushed the power button and the RGB lights quickly flashed (I have the option for all lighting to be off on start). Then about a week later I was saving the BIOS changes, and it failed to recycle and post (shut off and restart post and boot). Then, about week after that, I got the dreaded no post no video deal. Unplugged it, bleed off any power, and it posted and booted.

PROBLEM: No Post no Video. Intermittent or no post into BIOS. No Beep codes when speaker is attached to beep header, even with RAM out. After final testing, I could not get it to post at all.
-- Used different monitors and cables (HDMI and DP)
--Swapped RAM and use Different RAM, one stick then 2 sticks
--Breadboraded MB with no attachments
--Use 2 different video cards, one AMD and one nVida
--Reset BIOS
--Reseated CPU
--Reseated all power connections

RESULT: Booted to windows after BIOS reset a couple of times. After restarting again, no boot, no video. Booted a couple of times into BIOS, but failed to post on restart from BIOS with no video. Last try: No post after resetting bios again with multiple cycles and power offs, no video, no error beeps on installed speaker.
I'm not suggesting you do, but I have to ask, did you microwave these?

Power supply would be my first guess.
Also do you have a memory OC? What about CPU? PBO?

I'm not suggesting you do, but I have to ask, did you microwave these?
Dude, I'm second guessing everything at this point, except I found a lot of people having the same or similar problems online with the B450-550 boards, across the manufacturing brand name series, not just Gig. I'm so sick of it. I'm just going to order a pallet of them and replace them as they go bad.

The memory is just set in BIOS to 3200 automatically. I never changed the mem timings or anything. I did get it to post a couple times after resetting the BIOS, which cleared the memory profile, but after loading my profile again, no post. But eventually it would not post no matter what. Remember this was after 2 years for the B450 and 1.5 months after installing the new B550.

The memory is just set in BIOS to 3200. I did get it to post a couple times after resetting the BIOS, which cleared teh memory profile, but after loading my profile again, no post. But eventually it would not post no matter what.
Lower the memory speed to 2933 and disable PBO, see if that helps. It's possible your chip has a weak memory controller that degraded.

Lower the memory speed to 2933 and disable PBO, see if that helps. It's possible your chip has a weak memory controller that degraded.
After resetting the BIOS, the memory is set to 2600 automatically. If the chip (I assume you mean on the MB) is bad, it's defective anyway becasue it comes enabled default.

I'm second guessing that too, however, after buying a new board and installing it, everything booted perfectly the first time. Everything comes on, fans, lights, pump, it just won't post. However, I realize that doesn't rule out a really out of spec power supply. After 25 years or working with PCs. I've never had a PSU go bad. And that was when PSUs were really dirty, lol. Now, they are built so well and so clean with top electronics, I've never even heard of anyone experiencing a PSU failure these days, except for a power source problem. I also know that doesn't mean my PSU is out of spec.

Or, I can tell when it does post because the fans will slow down to the normal speed in the BIOS profile, but then no video and no boot to Windows. I know it doesn't boot to windows because of lighting and streaming that automatically start when booted properly into Windows. I also checked last boot to Windows system info to check out it.

Everything in the BIOS is set to default except the mem which is set to auto profile to get the rated speed from it, which is 3200. I haven't manually changed any timings or setting from the CPU. Just all default.

Last edited:
After resetting the BIOS, the memory is set to 2600 automatically. If the chip (I assume you mean on the MB) is bad, it's defective anyway becasue it comes enabled default.
No I mean the CPU memory controller might be subpar. It might not be able to handle 3200mhz anymore, but lower speeds might work fine.

How should I do that when it will no longer post?
I was under the impression that it was intermittent. So you're not longer able to get into the bios at all now?

No I mean the CPU memory controller might be subpar. It might not be able to handle 3200mhz anymore, but lower speeds might work fine.

I was under the impression that it was intermittent. So you're not longer able to get into the bios at all now?
It wouldn't even post after resetting the BIOS, which defaults to the lower speed.

No, no longer able to given get into the BIOS at all. The first sign was a couple weeks ago, after changing teh BIOS settings and saving and exiting, it would not recycle. I had to shut the machine off and restart it. Then about a week later, after running all day, I shut it down, and the next day, no post. I unplugged it and held the power button in for 10 seconds, then started it and it posted and booted, which could be a complete coincidence.

I'm using a Corsair RM550X (2018) version. However, I have no way to load test a PSU because that requires a scope and the knowledge to do it. The best I could do is used one of the PSU 'testers' that only test voltage at idle, which is mostly useless.

I'm about to buy a new motherboard, same one, and power supply. But I keep thinking that after replacing the board the first time, same problem, it booted perfectly and kept booting for about 3 weeks. Yeah, i know it could be the PSU spiking the caps or Fets on teh MB, and it could be the CPU, yet why does it boot with no problems initially and then degrade? that seems like either the MB has defects, or the PSU is taking it out somehow. I'm not the only one having these problems with the B450 and B550 boards, though. Could be any combination or specific part.

It wouldn't even post after resetting the BIOS, which defaults to the lower speed.

No, no longer able to given get into the BIOS at all. The first sign was a couple weeks ago, after changing teh BIOS settings and saving and exiting, it would not recycle. I had to shut the machine off and restart it. Then about a week later, after running all day, I shut it down, and the next day, no post. I unplugged it and held the power button in for 10 seconds, then started it and it posted and booted, which could be a complete coincidence.

I'm using a Corsair RM550X (2018) version. However, I have no way to load test a PSU because that requires a scope and the knowledge to do it. The best I could do is used one of the PSU 'testers' that only test voltage at idle, which is mostly useless.

I'm about to buy a new motherboard, same one, and power supply. But I keep thinking that after replacing the board the first time, same problem, it booted perfectly and kept booting for about 3 weeks. Yeah, i know it could be the PSU spiking the caps or Fets on teh MB, and it could be the CPU, yet why does it boot with no problems initially and then degrade? that seems like either the MB has defects, or the PSU is taking it out somehow. I'm not the only one having these problems with the B450 and B550 boards, though. Could be any combination or specific part.
It's actually quite common for the Ryzen memory controller to degrade and not handle the same speeds anymore. Look into it.
Doesn't mean your chip will be worthless, just means you need to run at a slow memory speed.

I would try a different CPU and PSU if you can.

It's actually quite common for the Ryzen memory controller to degrade and not handle the same speeds anymore. Look into it.
Doesn't mean your chip will be worthless, just means you need to run at a slow memory speed.

and motherboard you know build an entirely new PC pretty much $$$$$$. However, if the controller was bad, why would it run the new motherboard perfectly, and then stop? I mean, if I get a new motherboard, stick it in, and it runs at the xmp speed, what then? That's what I did after the B450 went bad. Post and boot, perfectly. Besides, it won't post even with teh slower mem timings.

Awhile back I had a memory module fail on a B450 Tomahawk that bricked the bios completely. Tried bios flashback after it would no longer post and flashback completed successfully but still no post(3 different bios). Rma'ed back to msi and they repaired the board but no specifics on how. I examined the "repaired" board very closely with a 28X video microscope I have and couldn't find any evidence of rework on the entire board (same board via serial#). I believe they used an spi programmer to erase and reprogram the bios chip that had become corrupted when the memory module dumped on it. Point is the memory module was root cause of all the hassle so do not rule that out especially if the same ram was used on both motherboards.

3000 series CPU's and mostly 3500-3600 seem to die in droves, Greg Salazar at this point I think has had 4-5 dead ones in his fix or flop series of vids, would not be surprised if this one is on it's way out too.

Awhile back I had a memory module fail on a B450 Tomahawk that bricked the bios completely. Tried bios flashback after it would no longer post and flashback completed successfully but still no post(3 different bios). Rma'ed back to msi and they repaired the board but no specifics on how. I examined the "repaired" board very closely with a 28X video microscope I have and couldn't find any evidence of rework on the entire board (same board via serial#). I believe they used an spi programmer to erase and reprogram the bios chip that had become corrupted when the memory module dumped on it. Point is the memory module was root cause of all the hassle so do not rule that out especially if the same ram was used on both motherboards.
I'm not ruling out anything, and it's depressing me for sure. But how do you know your module killed the BIOS? Maybe the BIOS bricked the RAM when the BIOS went bad? My point is that we don't know anything unless we can do a simple process of elimination, and the result is positive, such as remove the RAM and put it back in until a failure occurs. Bad RAM. However, in my situation, the RAM works fine, the fans and lights come on, when it did post, everything in the BIOS looked normal, temps, RAM speeds, etc. As far as inspecting to see if they replaced any soldered components, I think these days they don't do that. If there is a failed part, they just replace it. They probably did just reprogram your BIOS. That might be what mine needs also.

I almost forogt, but one day a few weeks ago, while in the BIOS, I noticed that the "fan fail" option was greyed out. Before, it wasn't. That was another clue that something was wrong in the BIOS or the board itself (cause unknown as yuo stated, could be anything). As stated, I can't even get it to cough up a beep code with a speaker installed on the beep header. That was the same thing with the B450 -- no beep codes at all. Replaced the B450 with a B550, immediately posted.

3000 series CPU's and mostly 3500-3600 seem to die in droves, Greg Salazar at this point I think has had 4-5 dead ones in his fix or flop series of vids, would not be surprised if this one is on it's way out too.
Sure, but why would it boot immediately on installation with a new MB? If a CPU is stopping a post, then it would stop a post on any board? These boards aren't cheap either. The B550 Aorus ITX is 200 bucks!

To be honest I don't think they're dead. Funny thing is, I started a YT channel earlier this year and recently made a video about what I think is going on. My 3900x went through degradation. It used to work at 3600/1800Mhz memory/IF speed initially but became unstable so now I have it set at 3200Mhz. Although I'm using 4 dimms, so that might be part of it. Also PBO became unstable, but it works perfectly fine with a 4.2ghz all core overclock.

My theory has changed since making this video. I now believe the problem is that many motherboards set ridiculously high PBO values by default, which degrades the CPU. Manually setting PBO to not add extra +200Mhz boost and changing the scalar to x1 fixed the PBO issue with my CPU. Again, I don't think any of them are dead, they just need tweaking. Here's the video, but I should probably do another follow up to it with the new info I've learned recently.

After watching his video here I've decided to try the RAM in different single slots. I know I did that twice, but I'm going to do it again and see if it posts. It's easy enough for me to check, just by swapping the RAM and booting a single stick in A and B slots. I was unaware hwo the controller worked with RAM for the 3600. So, thanks for the tip, for sure. I'll post back as soon as I test it.

To be honest I don't think they're dead. Funny thing is, I started a YT channel earlier this year and recently made a video about what I think is going on. My 3900x went through degradation. It used to work at 3600/1800Mhz memory/IF speed initially but became unstable so now I have it set at 3200Mhz. Although I'm using 4 dimms, so that might be part of it. Also PBO became unstable, but it works perfectly fine with a 4.2ghz all core overclock.

My theory has changed since making this video. I now believe the problem is that many motherboards set ridiculously high PBO values by default, which degrades the CPU. Manually setting PBO to not add extra +200Mhz boost and changing the scalar to x1 fixed the PBO issue with my CPU. Again, I don't think any of them are dead, they just need tweaking. Here's the video, but I should probably do another follow up to it with the new info I've learned recently.

Shouldn't have to tweak it to get a CPU to post though. However, after OCing, that really strains a CPU, right? (or can). As state above, I'm going to check what Salazar did wiht that 3600.

It posted now with both RAM slots filled with teh BIOS in default settings. I don't have time tight now, but I'll change the memory profile to XMP and see if it boots. If it won't post again, after changing the XMP profile, then at least we know that the problem is memory timing related. I don't know if that means it's the MB or the CPU. But what it does mean is that it won't post when the XMP settings are enabled. I'll have to do it later, though.

Thanks for the tip on the 3600 controllers.

It posted now with both RAM slots filled with teh BIOS in default settings. I don't have time tight now, but I'll change the memory profile to XMP and see if it boots. If it won't post again, after changing the XMP profile, then at least we know that the problem is memory timing related. I don't know if that means it's the MB or the CPU. But what it does mean is that it won't post when the XMP settings are enabled. I'll have to do it later, though.

Thanks for the tip on the 3600 controllers.
Happy to hear you're making progress

Happy to hear you're making progress
I don't think I am making progress.When I went to exit and save, no post, no video. I shut the power off and restarted, and bam, it posted with the XMP profile enabled. So, it's back to square one. Obviously, something is wrong. Also, whereas before, the CPU fan fail warning BIOS option was greyed out and unchangable, now it's showing correctly and I can enable it again. However, it shouldn't hang post on a simple save and restart. Rebooted with save and exit and hang post again.

Don't know what to do now. I still think it's a MB fault of some sort.

Another thing strange is that when I clear the BIOS by jumping the pins, it doesn't clear it. It boots back in and I can see my last saved profile is still active. Sometimes it does reset, sometimes not. Now we're back to no post no video even after jumping the CMOS pins.

I guess a bad controller would prevent it from posting? That doesn't explain the jumped CMOS and returning to my original BIOS profile though. I dunno guys. I was having the same problem with the Gig B450 , except I never could get the B450 to post again. Now this same situation, or nearly the same. The only thing I can do is start buying new parts and testing them as I go.

If it weren't for the BIOS not clearing when jumped, I'd lean toward the CPU. I'd test it without the mem XMP enabled. If it still was doing it, then I'd lean towards a bad controller.

5600Gs are not that bad, but it's not really worth the money coming from a 3600. I can pick it up for 127.00 or the 5600 for 99, but if I'm going to do it, I'd rather have the G model for 27 bucks more. guess If I did that, then I'd know for sure if it was the MB or not? Seems like the cheapest test I can do. even an Athlon 3000G is 109.00

Last edited:
I don't think I am making progress.When I went to exit and save, no post, no video. I shut the power off and restarted, and bam, it posted with the XMP profile enabled. So, it's back to square one. Obviously, something is wrong. Also, whereas before, the CPU fan fail warning BIOS option was greyed out and unchangable, now it's showing correctly and I can enable it again. However, it shouldn't hang post on a simple save and restart. Rebooted with save and exit and hang post again.

Don't know what to do now. I still think it's a MB fault of some sort.

Another thing strange is that when I clear the BIOS by jumping the pins, it doesn't clear it. It boots back in and I can see my last saved profile is still active. Sometimes it does reset, sometimes not. Now we're back to no post no video even after jumping the CMOS pins.

I guess a bad controller would prevent it from posting? That doesn't explain the jumped CMOS and returning to my original BIOS profile though. I dunno guys. I was having the same problem with the Gig B450 , except I never could get the B450 to post again. Now this same situation, or nearly the same. The only thing I can do is start buying new parts and testing them as I go.

If it weren't for the BIOS not clearing when jumped, I'd lean toward the CPU. I'd test it without the mem XMP enabled. If it still was doing it, then I'd lean towards a bad controller.

5600Gs are not that bad, but it's not really worth the money coming from a 3600. I can pick it up for 127.00 or the 5600 for 99, but if I'm going to do it, I'd rather have the G model for 27 bucks more. guess If I did that, then I'd know for sure if it was the MB or not? Seems like the cheapest test I can do. even an Athlon 3000G is 109.00
How are you jumping the pins? If you are using a flathead screwdriver----hold it there for like 20 seconds. I've had many times where 8-10 seconds with a screwdriver, wasn't enough.

I got it to post at XMP and then disabled it. Saved and exited 3 times, no problems. Letting it sit in BIOS running for a while to warm it up to its normal idle temp, and we'll see if it recycles on save and exit again. I'm leaning really hard not towards controller.

I've got an unused known good 3600X you can use to test with if ya wanna pay shipping.
That's really kind of you. Where do you live? I think it would be rpetty cheap if you sent it USPS priority small box. How would you want to send it? I'll calcualte round trip postage and let you know. I really appreciate that.

How are you jumping the pins? If you are using a flathead screwdriver----hold it there for like 20 seconds. I've had many times where 8-10 seconds with a screwdriver, wasn't enough.
Damn, yes I was using a screw driver. I held it there for like you said, 8-10 secs. Thanks, for future use. I guess it takes longer with the increased metal it has to jump through, or can't even make the jump due to resistance. Really good information, thanks.

It just failed to post on a save and exit at default speeds, after sitting for a while getting up to idle temps. Oh I just live in Sacramento, so not that far, either.

Anyone else want to chime in after this last round of testing? MB vs CPU?

After more testing, I have more information.

-- It doesn't matter if I have two Ram slots filled or one, XMP profile enabled or disabled, or a new stick of RAM.
-- It seems that after the CPU is warmed up to normal idle temps, around 35C, it will not post until the power is shut off and the CPU?MB cools off for 5 or so minutes. Then it will post and boot.
-- Running P95 doesn't throw any errors, yet. Seems rock solid stable after it boots.

What could cause a non-boot simply because the CPU/MB are warm, but run stable after a boot?

Back