Gigabyte AM4 B350/X370 Motherboards (good or bad experiences needed)

pmrdij

Limp Gawd
Can any of you please reply with how your experience has gone with any Gigabyte AM4 B350/X370 Motherboard.

I updated the BIOS on my ASRock AB350 Pro4 yesterday to 4.20 (1.0.7.2) and experienced my first BIOS update death since the late 90's. As much as I liked this board the lack of Dual-BIOS is enough to send me back to the arms of Gigabyte but reading user reviews at Newegg and elsewhere anymore has become ripe with bitching and complaining about not knowing shit to do with building a PC because homework is hard OR "rebate this and that! 0 eggs/stars because WAAAAA!"

are you sure its dead? some boards take a really long time to post after flashing. I haven't used GB new am4 stuff yet but I wouldn't hesitate to use one. I have not had a single GB product die on me, ever.

Unless ASrock actually released and recalled a board-bricking update I wouldn't dump them over it. I've had a Gigabyte 'dual-BIOS' board fail during a BIOS update, too. It seems to be pretty random.

I have a AB350 Gaming 3
it's pretty solid.

I've used Gigabyte boards for years and never had a problem

are you sure its dead?
After the update/reboot the board beeps five times twice and then nothing. GPU is fine in another system. System was running flawless before updating... Have torn the system apart and rebuilt just for the hell of it and the same occurs.

Unless ASrock actually released and recalled a board-bricking update I wouldn't dump them over it. I've had a Gigabyte 'dual-BIOS' board fail during a BIOS update, too. It seems to be pretty random.
BIOS hasn't been recalled yet but the lack of a failover BIOS in the event of corruption worries me. I never had an issue with my Gigabyte boards (have two still in house/in use).

Probably what bothers me most is that the manual doesn't even mention beep codes. WTF is with that I don't know but if you don't have an led code on your board and you do have a speaker header you'd think you'd put the code detail in your manual. Their website doesn't have anything newer on codes since 2011 but according to such the problem is my GPU which was working fine prior to updating the BIOS.

Last edited:
Try doing a long hard cmos clear. Pull the battery, hit the power button and let it sit for 5 minutes. Put battery in and retry.

I really like my Gigabyte X370 Gaming K7. It's been rock solid and overclocked very easily. But yeah, not a ton of awesome reviews of it. I just got a deal and decided to go for it. I haven't regretted it yet.

swap your ram around before you give up

both my asrock am4 boards are spazzy with ram, the ab350 though is much better about ram than the x370 i have.

swap your ram around before you give up.
I don't give up and fixed it :).

Turns out this latest BIOS doesn't like RX 480's or at least mine... Found a friend in my ranks that had a GT 210 (aka an adapter with no external power required).

Put that in and presto the system booted up. Flashed back to BIOS 3.00 using Instant Flash, DOS flashed 3.00, pulled the battery, put it back along with my RX 480 and tada!

Flashed up to 3.30 and zero problems.

Reactions: MrC4
like this
I really like my Gigabyte X370 Gaming K7. It's been rock solid and overclocked very easily. But yeah, not a ton of awesome reviews of it. I just got a deal and decided to go for it. I haven't regretted it yet.

Is this board Ryzen APU ready?

Newegg and elsewhere anymore has become ripe with bitching and complaining about not knowing shit to do with building a PC because homework is hard OR "rebate this and that! 0 eggs/stars because WAAAAA!"
My favorite is the negative reviews on ryzen CPUs and boards because the non existent onboard video wouldn't work and now they have to buy a gpu.
Glad you got it sorted.

On topic I have a gigabyte x370 gaming and it's solid. Steered clear of asrock this Gen because I read enough reviews with spotty ram compatibility. Have an Asus strix b350 as well and both just run 3200 no hassle.

My favorite is the negative reviews on ryzen CPUs and boards because the non existent onboard video wouldn't work and now they have to buy a gpu.
Glad you got it sorted.

On topic I have a gigabyte x370 gaming and it's solid. Steered clear of asrock this Gen because I read enough reviews with spotty ram compatibility. Have an Asus strix b350 as well and both just run 3200 no hassle.

My MSI is spotty with ram too. Doesn't like to run my Corsair RGB 32gb of ram (4x8) at 2996. I have to run it at 2800. The Gigabyte board that I have will run it at 2996 all day, but a faulty led strip killed the board.

All good to report so far for my ga-ab350-ds3h. Went with it after getting an asrock b350m-pro4 that was DOA.

The gigabyte was a little more expensive and only had one m2 connector instead of 2, but I've never had a bad experience with Gigabyte, and it's actually an x370 board even though the name makes it sound like it would be a b350 board.

Maybe it's just luck, but I've had plenty of MSI boards that developed problems over the years, but I've never had a significant problem from a Gigabyte.

The Gigabyte boards are alright, only the Gaming 5 (NOT K5) and the Gaming K7 have any sort of a decent VRM, the rest is trash. Naturally those two boards that do have a decent power delivery system share the PCB and consequently the absolutely horrific audio. Front panel static galore and god help you if you try to install the soundblaster software.

Also, their Gigabyte APP is one of the most retarded resource hogs you'll ever see on a modern PC (they make Chrome jealous) and good luck getting their RGB to do what you want as well. Oh, make sure you don't update the RGB firmware either because you'll brick both BIOS at the same time, ask me how I know.

I'm using a Gigabyte AB350-Gaming, paid like 80$CAD during our black friday. Not regretting it. Oc my ram to 2933mhz, my R6 is at 4ghz. Off course you don't have much granular control for the CPU OC, but it works so.. ;)

Back