actionz

n00b
Hi guys, got the 1700x on a gigabyte ab350m matx board with hyperx 2x16 gb 2400mhz ram and getting some problems. First symptom came with win10 installation was super slow but eventually finished. Then would get intermittent non boots, maybe 1 out of 10 reboots would get stuck at the mobo splash screen. Hard reset with power button would make it work. Next is the super high temp readings, idle at 55-60c, prime95 over 80c beeping all over. Finally the random laggy system on random reboots. Opening menus or doing anything in os became super choppy with occasional lockups and crashes. When it's choppy, cpu bench in Cinebench drop by 300 points and gpu fps results drop by half, although clock speeds seem to remain the same. Reboots solved this. All voltage seems normal reported by gigabyte's SIV hardware monitor.

Everything is set to stock with newest bios/drivers. I know it's not the vid card, or psu as they were perfect before i swapped the mobo,cpu,and ram in. To rule out the ram i ran memtest86 for 2passes quickly just to see if any errors. So now it's down to either mobo or cpu problem, chances of cpu being bad are rare, so I'm thinking the mobo has some issues. Was going to try and set the ram lower to 2133 but F2 bios is not allowing me to change anything.

Side note, I pulled one ram stick so only running on 1x16g 2400 ram and the system seems more responsive and have yet to crash. Tried both ram sticks separately on slot 1 and slot 2 and neither has crashed nor felt choppy. Could it be a problem with the board and running dual channel ram? Going to put in 2 sticks again but on slot 3 and 4 this time to see how it goes.

Anyone else with this board and similar problem? Or anyone WITHOUT any problems and can confirm it's a defective board rather than the whole lineup is having teething issues?

edit: Sorry didn't see the AMD section, mods please move the thread thank you!

Last edited:
I have the ATX version of that board and currently have to run at DDR4 2133. Apparently the dual rank 16GB DIMMS are more of a strain on the memory controller

For me I just disable XMP and it drops to the highest JEDEC profile and you can also set the speed manually assuming the UEFIs are similiar

I have the ATX version of that board and currently have to run at DDR4 2133. Apparently the dual rank 16GB DIMMS are more of a strain on the memory controller

For me I just disable XMP and it drops to the highest JEDEC profile and you can also set the speed manually assuming the UEFIs are similiar

did your system show similar symptoms while on 2400 dual 16gb?

The crashes and lag started happening on stock bios settings which for me was XMP being already disabled. It was after the crashes that I turned on XMP, but even with it on profile 1 (only option other than disabled), the bios won't let me adjust the the multiplier to anything other than auto which was set at 2400.

Read somewhere else that I need to install easytune and bios utilities in the gigabyte app in windows in order to adjust it bios? do you have those installed? thnx!

Last edited:
Yeah, mine crashed at 2400/XMP. With XMP disabled it goes to 2133 and is completely stable.

The multiplier adjust is kinda weird in the UEFI. It does not give you a menu, you have to highlight and use the +/- keys to change it.

Yeah, mine crashed at 2400/XMP. With XMP disabled it goes to 2133 and is completely stable.

The multiplier adjust is kinda weird in the UEFI. It does not give you a menu, you have to highlight and use the +/- keys to change it.

I will try the +/- buttons when I get home later thanks. Man that sucks if it only runs max 2133. Paid extra for 2400'that we cant use... Wonder if this is fixable through a future bios update

I will try the +/- buttons when I get home later thanks. Man that sucks if it only runs max 2133. Paid extra for 2400'that we cant use... Wonder if this is fixable through a future bios update
I think it will be

ok got the adjustment working, had to set mine on XMP profile 1, then use shift & "+" to adjust up or tab & "--" to adjust down the multiplier... weird. But so far no lag or freezing up yet, just very slightly lower scores in benchmarks. Will continue to test over the next few days. Thanks for the suggestion!

This will be fixed in continuing BIOS updates. We are working on memory validation and stability through XMP. Please stayed tuned for official BIOS releases.

This will be fixed in continuing BIOS updates. We are working on memory validation and stability through XMP. Please stayed tuned for official BIOS releases.

Thanks for the update
I have the AB350 Gaming 3 and its been pretty decent for me.

Gist I've gotten is that the Gigabyte boards have been pretty solid on this release. Few minor things I've noticed if it helps:
  • XMP not stable (known issue)
  • System takes 5-10 seconds before video initializes (reference model RX-480)
  • Cant figure out where in the UEFI to disable the realtek NIC
  • Could not load F5 firmware via Bios B17.0106.1, had to use qflash. Bios worked for F4 though

new F3c beta bios is out, flashed it but still got random non-boots stuck at the gigabyte logo while doing 2400mhz, had to go back down to 2133mhz again. It does however fix the temp offset, so my system now idles at 22C instead of 48C and load at 58C instead of 74-80C. Properly sensing temps makes for much quieter fans and no mobo beeping while doing anything that requires cpu to max out. thank god!

Just wanted to chime in here on the AB350m F4 firmware; I've got an 1800x and I've noticed similar issues using F4. XMP memory profile works on both F2 and F4 for my F4-3200C14D-16GVR G.skill memory. Will occasionally get a non-boot, or it'll hang at what SHOULD be the windows login screen but not displaying anything (unless I unplug/replug cables on my video card)

I've also noticed significant performance decreases in gaming on the F4 bios as well. I would previously be able to stream Rocket League with OBS running at Slow Preset and run 144hz just fine. Now when turning on OBS, I'll struggle to get over 30fps. I reflashed back to F2 and all performance problems have disappeared.

The only thing I did NOT try as a variable on F4 is the Ryzen Power Plan setting because of some of the issues people have been reporting; I was just running at the high performance plan. I don't think that would've made the difference with the problem I had been experiencing however; Hopefully a new bios update'll come out and fix this issue.

Back