Gigabyte AB350 - no video after 'extended' shutdown

ransom40

n00b
Hello,

Just built my first build in many years and went Ryzen.
Build is
  • Gigabyte AB350 Gaming (V1.0) (not the gaming 3, and the full ATX version)
  • Ryzen 7 1700
  • 32GB (4x8GB) Kingston HyperX Fury Black (HX421C14FB2K4/32)
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB FTW - (06G-P4-6268-KR)
  • 500gb M.2 ssd ( samsung)
  • windows10
  • 850 watt PSU (EVGA superNova)
  • 27" dell 4k monitor - hooked via DP

Now for the issue.

After the computer has been shut down for a while (over night is when I experience it. I have not experimented with shorter time frames other than a few minutes) The computer does not output a video signal on re-boot.

If I wait a minute or so, the mouse and keyboard eventually do light up, but the monitor just says ' no mini displayport cable detected', which is it's standard 'no video signal detected' message after you tell it to look for a signal (if you don't press any buttons on the monitor during boot, it just remains black)

Sometimes if I just simply restart the computer, then video will work, but sometimes I have to un-plug some USB cable (such as the USB 3.0 cable that was hooked into the monitor), or this last boot, it worked on restart after I unplugged my headphones from the monitor. (both of those could have been coincidences, as it seems to be different each time this happens)

I am assuming this is either a Mobo (or graphics card, or possibly is it a PSU issue?) problem as I don't even get a post screen, but I have no case speaker or led debug screen like my last motherboard, so I am a bit lost and scratching my head.

No overclocks, everything is right out of the box. Happened since.. essentially day 1.

But not really till day 4 as that was the first time the computer was shut down for multiple hours, but since then, I have been shutting it down every night and testing it out in the morning, and then shutting it down and testing it after work, and have had the issue on first boot every time.

Once I can get video to post, it has no issues until the next extended shutdown.

And sometimes it takes 5-10 reboots and plugging/unplugging random and different items to get it to work.

Any thoughts?

Call Gigabyte? bahaha

Cheers,

Brad

Amusing! I have ASUS Prime B350+, and what might be a similar issue.

No prob except when power switch is turned off, or unplugged a few minutes.
Then it lights up, shuts down, lights again, and throws "Press f1, cause your
overclock failed" not an exact quote. Even when all BIOS settings are default.

Avoidable by leaving it plugged in, so I can live with it, but sure is annoying...
Perhaps my 2nd RX480 was more than 500W EVGA supply wants to cold start?

Last edited:
I will have to try and swap out the PSU to an old one I have.
I tried swapping the VGA power port on the PSU in the case, but have not attempted switching the PSU itself.

For the last 48 hours and 3 cold boots, simply hitting the reset button 10 seconds after I initially hit the power button has fixed the issue.

If the PSU swap fixes it, then we will know.

If not.. then I personally think it is a mobo issue (as the keyboard and mouse LED's do NOT light up when the computer does not boot.
I actually think it is a complete failure to post.

Does anyone know how to check to see if a computer is posting without visual confirmation via a screen?

I think the few times that the keyboard and mouse recieved power I was actually getting a video signal, but my monitor was acting up. (I have two identical monitors, but only one hooked up. One of the two is a bit wonky on awaking from sleep... but it was free.. so.. no complaints. a hard reset fixes it usually. I think in this case I was happening to have both problems at the same time. I swapped monitors yesterday morning, and since then it has cold booted after a simple hit of the reset button after initial power button)

Cheers!

-Brad

I will have to try and swap out the PSU to an old one I have.
I tried swapping the VGA power port on the PSU in the case, but have not attempted switching the PSU itself.

For the last 48 hours and 3 cold boots, simply hitting the reset button 10 seconds after I initially hit the power button has fixed the issue.

If the PSU swap fixes it, then we will know.

If not.. then I personally think it is a mobo issue (as the keyboard and mouse LED's do NOT light up when the computer does not boot.
I actually think it is a complete failure to post.

Does anyone know how to check to see if a computer is posting without visual confirmation via a screen?

I think the few times that the keyboard and mouse recieved power I was actually getting a video signal, but my monitor was acting up. (I have two identical monitors, but only one hooked up. One of the two is a bit wonky on awaking from sleep... but it was free.. so.. no complaints. a hard reset fixes it usually. I think in this case I was happening to have both problems at the same time. I swapped monitors yesterday morning, and since then it has cold booted after a simple hit of the reset button after initial power button)

Cheers!

-Brad
I have this motherboard AB350-Gaming with my Gigabyte GTX-1060 Extreme card using display port has no problem.

System configuration:

Motherboard : AB350-Gaming

Bios : F4

CPU: AM4 Ryzen R7 1700K

Memory: Crucial Ballistix DDR4 2666 FSB 4GB x2

Display card Gigabyte GTX 1060 Extreme

Display driver: Nvidia 381.65

Samsung 4K monitors
display port.jpg

Have you try to check maybe it is related to your display driver? or your memory dimms?

Attachments

• ab350gaming system.jpg
    ab350gaming system.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 31
I really think this is a Dell monitor problem. My Dell screen hooked up with DP does the same thing, ONLY when I have the internal USB hub connected to the computer. If I disconnect the USB hub it works fine, all other monitors work fine.

I found that waiting a while until the OS is booted up (it is still working fine) and unplugging the DP cable for a second causes it to re-detect the monitor and its on again.

Note that this behavior is not exclusive to Ryzen, it did the same crap on the last half dozen computers its been connected to just like I always have to press the power button 15 times to get it to shut off.

EDIT: I can also create the opposite problem, if I shut the monitor off while the system is shutting down windows will shut down but the motherboard remains powered and the fans still spin.

Last edited:
I really think this is a Dell monitor problem. My Dell screen hooked up with DP does the same thing, ONLY when I have the internal USB hub connected to the computer. If I disconnect the USB hub it works fine, all other monitors work fine.

I found that waiting a while until the OS is booted up (it is still working fine) and unplugging the DP cable for a second causes it to re-detect the monitor and its on again.

Note that this behavior is not exclusive to Ryzen, it did the same crap on the last half dozen computers its been connected to just like I always have to press the power button 15 times to get it to shut off.

EDIT: I can also create the opposite problem, if I shut the monitor off while the system is shutting down windows will shut down but the motherboard remains powered and the fans still spin.
I have checked on my side to shut down monitor while system is shutting down, it seem the system will shut down, cpu fan and VGA card fan shutdown ok.
Could it be your

I have checked on my side to shut down monitor while system is shutting down, it seem the system will shut down, cpu fan and VGA card fan shutdown ok.
Could it be your

Do you have a Dell monitor connected by DP with a built in USB hub that is also connected?

Amusing! I have ASUS Prime B350+, and what might be a similar issue.

No prob except when power switch is turned off, or unplugged a few minutes.
Then it lights up, shuts down, lights again, and throws "Press f1, cause your
overclock failed" not an exact quote. Even when all BIOS settings are default.

Avoidable by leaving it plugged in, so I can live with it, but sure is annoying...
Perhaps my 2nd RX480 was more than 500W EVGA supply wants to cold start?

I have the same board, and have the same issue if I unplug the computer for a while. I just have one monitor/keyboard/mouse but multiple computers and I like to tinker, so that's the reason I'm unplugging and moving things from time to time. The only component that was overclocked each time is the RAM. Well, not really overclocked, more like running close to XMP speeds and not 2133 which is default.
I always thought it was a RAM issue, but maybe it's something else. Maybe this will go away with the promised May bios updates.

I have this same issue with gigabyte ax370-gaming-5:/ ... so not cpu , not monitor - this is problem of gigabyte motherboard:/

My graphic is asus strix GTX 1080 connected to monitor Samsung with displayport.

I have the same board, and have the same issue if I unplug the computer for a while. I just have one monitor/keyboard/mouse but multiple computers and I like to tinker, so that's the reason I'm unplugging and moving things from time to time. The only component that was overclocked each time is the RAM. Well, not really overclocked, more like running close to XMP speeds and not 2133 which is default.
I always thought it was a RAM issue, but maybe it's something else. Maybe this will go away with the promised May bios updates.

My ram is not overclocked (not that I havn't tried), its running 2400 stock speed.

I have this same issue with gigabyte ax370-gaming-5:/ ... so not cpu , not monitor - this is problem of gigabyte motherboard:/

My graphic is asus strix GTX 1080 connected to monitor Samsung with displayport.
What bios are you using? they have the latest bios.

Back