Gigabyte 990FX UD5 x1 slot usable?

DisrupTer911

[H]ard|Gawd
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128509

It appears in the pictures that the first x1 slot is unusable because the heatsink extends into the area the card would take up.

Currently on my UD5 890FX board I have my XFi titanium HD in the x1 slot and it sits right over the heatsink there.

but the 990FX board it looks like I won't be able to do that.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this board yet?

yeah it looks like it's in the way, but if you look at the heatsink from the side image it looks like they put a cut out in the heatsink where the card would still be able to fit.

welp I went to Microcenter today as I noticed in their mailed circular that they stock the UD5 990FX boards.

I went in and opened the box and looked and the x1 slot on the UD5 is unsable for longer cards.
So the UD7 has a PCI express x16 directly against the northbridge and x1 cards will fit lower or in that first slot if you desire.
They had no UD3 in stock to check out.

a card this size will fit with no issues.
16-104-022-TS

100% w/o a doubt a card this size will NOT fit.
29-102-033-TS

Well, out of curiosity will a x1 slot card fit into those full length slots on the motherboard? The first two are x16 but the remaining three are x8 x4 x4. Why not just use an x4?

x1 will work in any slot.
My concern is that the XFi titanium HD works best in an x1 slot where the connection seats firmly in place on both ends.

But I'll have to make due and stick it in whatever x4, x8, or x16 is available lol

The -UD3 NB heatsink is slightly different than that of the -UD5/7, and will accommodate regular cards. I have an intel NIC in the top x1 slot.

Back