Gigabyte 965P DS3 ver 1 and E6850 issues need help/thoughts please

Gun_Strife

2[H]4U
I got my E6850 last night and I had an issue with it on my Gigabyte 965P DS3 ver 1.0, I couldnt get anything on the screen so I went back to my E6600 and update to F12 bios and swapped in the 6850 again and it booted up once and that was it but the one time it was fine it was just when I restarted that i would get the blank screen again
so I was thinking it is either in issue with the board itself and it being FSB1066 and cpu being 1333 or that for some reason the cpu is overheating casuse I gave the hs a touch and it was alot hotter than I think it should be so I suppose it could be an issues with the stock intel hsf it came with as my E6600 was reported in bios as 48C so any thoughts

First of all, faster processer runs a lil bit hotter.

Second of all...your chip is trying to run at it's default 1333 fsb. If your motherboard doesnt support this level of fsb, you may be in need of a new motherboard to run that shiny new chip you got thar :)

Same issue for me...i'd love to hop on a e6550 or e6750 (both cheaper than my e6400 was originally) but the mobo has a max fsb of 1300...which means fat chance of running a newer c2d :(

i'm pretty sure your board doesn't support that FSB of 1333.

The Rev 1.0 DS3 Does Not support E6850 (1333) fsb parts according to Gigabytes CPU support page. Rev 3.0 does with BIOS F12, but Rev 1 does not. :(

ty guys I will just be getting a new modo than I suppose nothing else I can do :( and thanks again fellas

I'm not sure why that board doesn't support the 1333mhz FSB CPU's seeing as the rev. 1 DS3's run 24/7 at 1600mhz with little to no problems :(.

But if you're getting a new board, definitely check out the P35 chipset boards as they have gotten some great FSB numbers which is even more important now that CPU's are running 1333mhz.

I don't see why it matters whether it officially supports it or not. All DS3s will be able to do 333fsb easy.

I don't see why it matters whether it officially supports it or not. All DS3s will be able to do 333fsb easy.

No CPU ID string in bios, so it might not boot. I bet someone has a hacked bios somewhere on the internet to allow 1333mhz FSB CPU's on the rev. 1 boards. Obviously taking a chance though flashing something like that.

DDR3 isn't mature enough yet to give a performance boost over DDR2. It'll be quite sometime before you'll need it. If you don't think the price premium for the C version of the board is too much, then go for it.

swapped in the 6850 again and it booted up once and that was it but the one time it was fine it was just when I restarted that i would get the blank screen again

Computers do not have "moods" if it booted up once it will boot up again. Your heatsink is not properly seated or something is wrong with the socket/retention etc.

How are you running your FSB settings and voltages ? If on Auto and it cant recognize the CPU I could see you having trouble. If you manually set them I would think it should work.

Double check your heatsink mounting make sure the retention pins are seated well.

well I actually have tried it a few times but can try again but its looking like it just isnt supported but ill see as I just bought the P35 DS3R and hopefully have it soon

Try setting the FSB manually at 333mhz with the E6600 and then swap it out for the E6850 and try to boot. Don't jump the cmos after you set the 333mhz fsb.

Computers do not have "moods" if it booted up once it will boot up again. Your heatsink is not properly seated or something is wrong with the socket/retention etc.

To be honest, when my processor wasnt properly seated (one or two of the push pins somehow came up?) it made it alot farther into windows on some boots than others, and at other times it wouldnt even post. So having it boot once and then not again isnt completely out of the question

Well, you have a P35DS3R coming so that should fly with your E6850.
I still would like to know if anyone can get one to work with a DS3 965P Rev.1 because I have an E6850 on order and was going to try it on my DS3 Rev.1 just for fun:rolleyes: I plan on getting a P35 DS3 to replace my trusty 965 mobo anyway but thought I may be able to try it first.
I will report back with my results regardless. Had hoped to get the cpu in today but NCIX still hasn't shipped it yet:(

Back