Gigabyte 6900xt $900 after rebate newegg

Yes, I know, and yes I did (unfortunately) watch the entire video through all of his usual rambling. If you read my post (I know it's long sorry) I said:

To reiterate, he somewhat glosses over the fact that he missed the fact that it's Open Box. Newegg Open Box has NEVER been known (reputation wise) to be a good deal as far as I know. No one that I've ever talked to looks at Newegg Open Box and goes "yeah this is surely not going to backfire on me". And again, we're just trusting him at his word, here. We don't know if he opened it and screwed it up. Which being a reviewer, is highly unlikely, of course.

But their RMA inspection department doesn't know who messed up where. It's just some pissed off guy claiming that he didn't bend the pins, vs their other RMA department which claims that they checked them. Who are you going to believe? And who's at fault? Newegg? The dishonest idiots at their RMA department that didn't check jack? Both? The guy that put it back in the box and screwed it up?

Now them not sending his motherboard back for weeks and all of this... yeah obviously he deserves to raise a stink, but it's a bit of a one-sided interpretation of a company based on one event and also his claim of a high percentage of other events, and doesn't really go into what you'd expect from a New product from them...
Not sure if you saw the video where GN showed that the mobo still have the service sticker/sticky note, that New Egg sent to mfg to fix the bent pins? They obviously didn't check the mobo again before putting them up for sale, since the sticky note still on there.
So I tend to believe GN in this case.

Not sure if you saw the video where GN showed that the mobo still have the service sticker/sticky note, that New Egg sent to mfg to fix the bent pins? They obviously didn't check the mobo again before putting them up for sale, since the sticky note still on there.
This! They bloody well sent out a broken board as they are a shit show.

I just watched this one:

If there's another one, by all means.

I'm not saying there isn't a problem here for the record. there probably is. Just all this video told me was, "Well yeah, Open Box Newegg is a bad idea". Which they do totally deserve to get called out on either way. But it's a large company and that's just one facet. Do they also fudge their "New" condition sales like this?

No shit. Came in expecting to catch the low down on the 6900xts everyone bought. Instead, we're time traveling.

No shit. Came in expecting to catch the low down on the 6900xts everyone bought. Instead, we're time traveling.

Well, it is pretty interesting that folks are willing to go to great lengths to defend newegg. :D However, I figure, let them shot themselves in the foot, the customers and learn that yes Johnny, the fire actually is hot and yes, you will get burned. :) The GN video was just the nail in the coffin, perse but hey, at least I did not need to lose lots of money to know they are a corrupt and poor retailer.

In the meantime, there are many other places to buy these 6900XT's and the prices are dropping all over, at least here in the USA, finally. :)

Yes, I know, and yes I did (unfortunately) watch the entire video through all of his usual rambling. If you read my post (I know it's long sorry) I said:

To reiterate, he somewhat glosses over the fact that he missed the fact that it's Open Box. Newegg Open Box has NEVER been known (reputation wise) to be a good deal as far as I know. No one that I've ever talked to looks at Newegg Open Box and goes "yeah this is surely not going to backfire on me". And again, we're just trusting him at his word, here. We don't know if he opened it and screwed it up. Which being a reviewer, is highly unlikely, of course.

But their RMA inspection department doesn't know who messed up where. It's just some pissed off guy claiming that he didn't bend the pins, vs their other RMA department which claims that they checked them. Who are you going to believe? And who's at fault? Newegg? The dishonest idiots at their RMA department that didn't check jack? Both? The guy that put it back in the box and screwed it up?

Now them not sending his motherboard back for weeks and all of this... yeah obviously he deserves to raise a stink, but it's a bit of a one-sided interpretation of a company based on one event and also his claim of a high percentage of other events, and doesn't really go into what you'd expect from a New product from them...
That's nonsense, Steve would not pull some fraud like that. This is 100% on Newegg for knowingly selling damaged goods and not testing/inspecting it as they claim to.

I just watched this one:

If there's another one, by all means.

I'm not saying there isn't a problem here for the record. there probably is. Just all this video told me was, "Well yeah, Open Box Newegg is a bad idea". Which they do totally deserve to get called out on either way. But it's a large company and that's just one facet. Do they also fudge their "New" condition sales like this?

Timestamp at 6:45

That's nonsense, Steve would not pull some fraud like that. This is 100% on Newegg for knowingly selling damaged goods and not testing/inspecting it as they claim to.

I'm just playing devil's advocate a bit here.
Timestamp at 6:45

As this video shows, it's now pretty obvious that he was telling the truth anyway. The thing has an RMA history where it was literally sent back to Gigabyte for repairs and then the company just said "no we're not paying that much" and put it back on the shelf (or he could be making the call history up but yeah at that point might as well get 3x Tin Foil Hat perk). So at that point yes I would consider it malicious... But not necessarily by Newegg? He mentions another company that Newegg seems to subcontract to: a child company (Magnell) to do these repairs:

1652239445064.png

So perhaps that company simply sent them back the motherboard to the sales frontend and said, "Yeah it's tots fixed now bruh", and, again, without some digging no one knows who was telling the truth. Or maybe it was sent back to this Magnell company and... they just lied. Just like they did about the orignal RMA to Gigabyte. They're obviously breaking some regulations and need a whistleblower in there.

No one ever thought buying Open Box from Newegg was a good idea, though. Nor would anyone want to save a couple hundred dollars risking buying an open box motherboard that was originally 800$ for... uh... 600? That's very far into unnecessary luxury product territory, and the savings at that point is a drop in the bucket. That last sentence is just as a response to him saying that "sometimes you just want to save some money". That's not a consideration for a product like this if you were ever considering it. If you want to buy open box, IMO it's Microcenter(/ maybe Best Buy) or bust.

So again... they totally deserve to get called out on this. However they manage open box items, it needs regulation, and has for some time. But at the same time, this doesn't mean that buying New condition products from them is a bad idea... that's a separate issue, unless they have a separate set of videos covering that, too.

I'm just playing devil's advocate a bit here.

As this video shows, it's now pretty obvious that he was telling the truth anyway. The thing has an RMA history where it was literally sent back to Gigabyte for repairs and then the company just said "no we're not paying that much" and put it back on the shelf (or he could be making the call history up but yeah at that point might as well get 3x Tin Foil Hat perk). So at that point yes I would consider it malicious... But not necessarily by Newegg? He mentions another company that Newegg seems to subcontract to: a child company (Magnell) to do these repairs:

View attachment 472432

So perhaps that company simply sent them back the motherboard to the sales frontend and said, "Yeah it's tots fixed now bruh", and, again, without some digging no one knows who was telling the truth. Or maybe it was sent back to this Magnell company and... they just lied. Just like they did about the orignal RMA to Gigabyte. They're obviously breaking some regulations and need a whistleblower in there.

No one ever thought buying Open Box from Newegg was a good idea, though. Nor would anyone want to save a couple hundred dollars risking buying an open box motherboard that was originally 800$ for... uh... 600? That's very far into unnecessary luxury product territory, and the savings at that point is a drop in the bucket. That last sentence is just as a response to him saying that "sometimes you just want to save some money". That's not a consideration for a product like this if you were ever considering it. If you want to buy open box, IMO it's Microcenter(/ maybe Best Buy) or bust.

So again... they totally deserve to get called out on this. However they manage open box items, it needs regulation, and has for some time. But at the same time, this doesn't mean that buying New condition products from them is a bad idea... that's a separate issue, unless they have a separate set of videos covering that, too.
Their support is terrible and they deny claims that are obviously not the buyer's fault (speaking from personal experience here) that's the main reason not to buy from them. This open box crap is just icing on the cake.

And I'd like to add that their support is almost as bad as ebay's, I got a good recent story about them.

Last edited:
Back