Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC arrived - fits in Corsair 4000 Case

TimothyB

[H]ard|Gawd
Hopefully this helps anyone looking at the Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC and how the Corsair 4000X / 4000D will handle it.

First, take how big you think these cards are in photos, then make them 20% bigger when you see them in real life.

Purchased from Best Buy around 6 AM on October 12. Pick-up was scheduled for 17th, but was ready on the 15th. I was aiming for the Founders Edition on launch, but we know how that went. After waiting too long for the FE, everything was just about sold out. Not wanting to leave empty handed, as the FE could be a unicorn, I ordered the Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC. At the time, I did not realize it gives the giant Strix a run for its money in size. Shorter, but thicker.

Fitting in the 4000X:
Length wasn't going to be a problem, but I was concerned with the space between the GPU and Glass Panel. The 4000X has about 3 inches from the PCIe bracket to the glass panel. The Gigabyte card sticks out 1.5inches, leaving only 1.5inches for the power cable. Despite that just being under what even Cablemod recommends for their own flexible 12-pin cable, I didn't have to force bending the stock cable much at all.

Support Bracket:
Further down you'll see how the support bracket install onto the motherboard turned out.

Gigabyte-4090-Gaming-OC-Corsai-r4000x-Case.jpg

This card is considered one of the ugliest, or cheapest, looking cards due to the basic black plastic fan shroud. I agree on the fan area, but I do like the minimal look of the silver/gray backplate and side. Blends well with the motherboard and gray accents of the 4000X case.

Card-Install-Glass-Off.jpg

Upgrading from an EVGA 3090 XC3, one of the smaller 3090 cards. So tiny now.

4090GigabyteGamingOC--3090EVGAXC3-Size-Comparisons.jpg

Some before and after animated GIFs. At least all that space around the 3090 is being used.

Animated-BeforeAfter-3090XC3-vs-4090GigabyteGamingOC-Angle1.gif

Another angle:

Animated-BeforeAfter-3090XC3-vs-4090GigabyteGamingOC-Angle2.gif

Installing the support bracket:

4090-Gigabyte-Bracket-Install-Part-001.jpg

4090-Gigabyte-Bracket-Install-Part-002.jpg

4090-Gigabyte-Bracket-Install-Part-003.jpg

4090-Gigabyte-Bracket-Install-Part-004.jpg

Card-matches-case-and-mobo.jpg

Powering the darn thing:

I have the Cablemod 12-pin cable on order, plus I'll get the 90 degree adapter as soon as it is available.

Power-Cables-Part-001.jpg

Power-Cables-Part-002.jpg

Power-Cables-Part-003.jpg

Power-Cables-Part-004.jpg

Case is the 4000X, I just bought the mesh grill from Corsair for $5 later. So I got the fans that come with the X, plus I can switch between glass and mesh depending on the usage.

Power-Cables-Part-005.jpg

Hopefully this helps anyone looking at the Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC and how the Corsair 4000X / 4000D will handle it.

First, take how big you think these cards are in photos, then make them 20% bigger when you see them in real life.

Purchased from Best Buy around 6 AM on October 12. Pick-up was scheduled for 17th, but was ready on the 15th. I was aiming for the Founders Edition on launch, but we know how that went. After waiting too long for the FE, everything was just about sold out. Not wanting to leave empty handed, as the FE could be a unicorn, I ordered the Gigabyte 4090 Gaming OC. At the time, I did not realize it gives the giant Strix a run for its money in size. Shorter, but thicker.

Fitting in the 4000X:
Length wasn't going to be a problem, but I was concerned with the space between the GPU and Glass Panel. The 4000X has about 3 inches from the PCIe bracket to the glass panel. The Gigabyte card sticks out 1.5inches, leaving only 1.5inches for the power cable. Despite that just being under what even Cablemod recommends for their own flexible 12-pin cable, I didn't have to force bending the stock cable much at all.

Support Bracket:
Further down you'll see how the support bracket install onto the motherboard turned out.

View attachment 518871

This card is considered one of the ugliest, or cheapest, looking cards due to the basic black plastic fan shroud. I agree on the fan area, but I do like the minimal look of the silver/gray backplate and side. Blends well with the motherboard and gray accents of the 4000X case.

View attachment 518872

View attachment 518873

Some before and after animated GIFs. At least all that space around the 3090 is being used.

View attachment 518874

Another angle:

View attachment 518875

View attachment 518876

View attachment 518877

View attachment 518878

View attachment 518879

View attachment 518880

Powering the darn thing:

I have the Cablemod 12-pin cable on order, plus I'll get the 90 degree adapter as soon as it is available.

View attachment 518881

View attachment 518882

View attachment 518883

View attachment 518884

Case is the 4000X, I just bought the mesh grill from Corsair for $5 later. So I got the fans that come with the X, plus I can switch between glass and mesh depending on the usage.

View attachment 518885
Wow absolutely massive card! 🥵 But thanks a bunch for going through the installation, much appreciated!

Fitting in the 4000X:

Support Bracket:

View attachment 518871

View attachment 518872

View attachment 518873

View attachment 518874

Another angle:

View attachment 518875

View attachment 518876

View attachment 518877

View attachment 518878

View attachment 518879

View attachment 518880

Powering the darn thing:

View attachment 518881

View attachment 518882

View attachment 518883

View attachment 518884

View attachment 518885
Awesome. I was debating grabbing a 4000D or 5000D. This made up my mind to grab the 4000 and save some cash. I have the exact same card coming in and this was very helpful.

This is definitely helpful. I have the same card coming in this week hopefully (Gigabyte US store is painfully slow). I have the 7000D, so I'm not worried about space as much, but I was curious how the support bracket worked. I just wish EVGA would come out with a custom power cable for my power supply.

I did not know they were so much bigger. I do not think a 4090 will fit in my case unless I water cool it.

Hmm...
MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X Trio 10G
Height 140.00 mm
Length 323.00 mm
Width 2.75-Slot

I think NewEgg has the height wrong.

ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 4090
Form Factor & Dimensions
Height 72.6 mm
Length 348.2 mm
Slot Width 3.65 Slot

Last edited:
Here's some updates I put together based on a lot of comments and requests from a reddit post:

Glass Side Panel attached, photo from standard viewing angle:

2 Videos - Power Cable and Side-Panel Removal and Attaching:
  • Attaching and Reattaching Power Cable, showing
  • Attaching Side Panel, showing it slightly nudges the cable.

Gigabyte Support Bracket Instructions, better showing how it was assembled:

LTT Store Banana Comparison + SNES cartridge for the heck of it:

AIO CPU Cooler Pipes Lifted from Backplate:

I did not know they were so much bigger. I do not think a 4090 will fit in my case unless I water cool it.

Hmm...
MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X Trio 10G
Height 140.00 mm
Length 323.00 mm
Width 2.75-Slot

I think NewEgg has the height wrong.

ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 4090
Form Factor & Dimensions
Height 72.6 mm
Length 348.2 mm
Slot Width 3.65 Slot
The retail box doesn't have any dimensions on it. With this generational change, you'd think there would be a huge warning, other than the larger box.

Great write up and thorough pictorial, I think a lot of people could benefit from this as people really lack the Geo-spacial awareness to imagine this behemoth in the flesh. Your photos are fantastic.

It seems we are long gone from the days of a quick expansion card install. Who would have guessed that when the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro introduced the floppy drive power connector that it would devolve into the hideous monstrosities we are seeing late 2022. In the span of about 20 years we went from a single slot GPU to a quad slot, power hungry nightmare. The card uses more power than an entire desktop machine, just for the GPU. Not to mention it's roughly $1800 in the US after tax. If you jump through the mental gymnastics, (RTX Titan was $2,500, RTX 3090Ti was $2,000 this is only $1800 and is sooooo much better), it can even be portrayed as a good deal, HA! Dear god what has this hobby become. :(

I'm actually kind of surprised Nvidia was able to launch this card since it really pushes the ATX form factor envelope. I would not feel comfortable with that much tension on those teeny tiny 16 pins. I can imagine a ton of folks will be returning these things or at the very least running their desktops with the side panel off. What a s--t show.

Man these cards are huge lmao. I am really wondering if they all did design these for 600w lmao and then it got lowered to 450. These things are absolutely huge.

You know, the weirdest thing, ever since this new card (unless it was the most recent driver or Windows update), Windows 10 is treating the Alienware AW3423DW as still connected even when off, connected via Displayport.

If you don't have an AW3423DW OLED, every 4 hours of use it will do a pixel refresh when the monitor sleeps, but instead of going back to sleep, it shuts off completely, disconnecting it from windows, moving everything to the 2nd display. This meant every time I'd come back to my PC, I have to manually turn the monitor on, then wait as Windows moves everything back to the AW34, even things that were once on the 2nd display only. With a ton of creative software open,, and strategic placement of windows for work, this can be a slow and choppy mess.

Now, when I came back to my PC just now, even though the Alienware was off, and my 2nd display on, the login screen was actually on the Alienware screen that was still off.

Another test right now. I turned off the Cintiq, it moved it's windows to the Alienware. But if I turn the Alienware off, none of the windows moved to the Cintiq, as if Windows 10 still thought it was connected.

This is very welcome behavior due to the Alienware behavior of shutting off after every session.

Well, I have the Lian Li Dynamic XL case. and an Asus B550E mobo. I still roll with my SB X-fi card. Guess trying to finc a usable PCI-e slot will be a no go..... Also, could U make the card any longer? Jesus....just block all my RGB fans and kill my case aesthetics and air flow... I want one though =)

Well, I have the Lian Li Dynamic XL case. and an Asus B550E mobo. I still roll with my SB X-fi card. Guess trying to finc a usable PCI-e slot will be a no go..... Also, could U make the card any longer? Jesus....just block all my RGB fans and kill my case aesthetics and air flow... I want one though =)
When my PC was off today I noticed a big shadow behind the two front lower fans where normally room light evenly shined through them.

Same but not in stock for some time. When I got my Corsair AX1500i people gave me grief for not needed that much power but it's way more efficient when you are using like 50% or whatever and now I don't have to worry if it can power a new card... for now.
You still don't need 1500w PSU. The efficiency curve is not that drastic with newer PSUs. You are talking about a few % difference.

You still don't need 1500w PSU. The efficiency curve is not that drastic with newer PSUs. You are talking about a few % difference.
And the next gen, 5xxx series from Nvidia, requires a small fusion reactor, so the power delivery is completely different.

Need..? Yeah but 600w is the sweet spot and lower is worse. 1500w is still better when you have a bunch of hard disc drives and SSDs and CD-ROMs and pumps and 12+ fans and a 400-500w video card or 2 and so on.

Installed my Z690 board and Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 in my new 4000D Airflow case this evening. Nice fit and looks good. Thanks, OP.

Last edited:
I have the gigabyte OC 4090. Playing cyberpunk at 4k with all settings maxed the card was pretty quiet, temps hit 53c max on the GPU. Lian Li o11 case. I can't get the side panel on due to that cable adapter so I just have the panel sort of sitting there for now until I get a 90 degree cable.

Gigabyte finally shipped my 4090 OC card so should be here next week.

Hopefully by the time i upgrade in the next 6 months or more 4090 AIO or other variants will be out and easier to pick up. :)
Was looking at using the Corsair 680X but with an Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX™ 4090 XTREME WATERFORCE or a similar water-cooled 4090 if it's out. (Depending on what's the best or maybe even a Ti version)
Time will tell.

Back