Gigabye GA-X99-GAMING 5 won't load BIOS>

Kermie

Limp Gawd
So I recently got this motherboard, it boots up, it boots to disk but I can't get it to boot to BIOS. I tried various keyboards but that's not the issue, I don't know if a bent pin would permit access to BIOS and I certainly don't know what the problem is.

Can anybody help me out? I would certainly love to get my system up and running so I can customize it.

Please explain how you can't get it to boot to BIOS. (Or what do you see?)

On an older H67 board (coincidentally, also a Gigabyte), the use of an HDMI cable makes me unable to see anything that happens before reaching the Windows 7 loading screen.

Using a DVI cable or a VGA cable allows me to properly see and get into the BIOS.

Maybe this is the same issue.

Last edited:
Please explain how you can't get it to boot to BIOS. (Or what do you see?)

On an older H67 board (coincidentally, also a Gigabyte), the use of an HDMI cable makes me unable to see anything that happens before reaching the Windows 7 loading screen.

Using a DVI cable or a VGA cable allows me to properly see and get into the BIOS.

Maybe this is the same issue.

I'm using a DVI cable, same as you. I'm pressing delete yet I see a black screen, no cursor, no background, just a black screen.

Get a thumb drive/USB flash drive and make sure it's formatted in FAT32. Download the 7c version of the Gaming-5 BIOS (which is the most recent available as I'm posting this)
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5125#bios and unzip the files onto the root directory of the USB drive. (I removed all of my pre-existing files on it to be sure they wouldn't mess up anything.) What's really important is that X99G5.7Fc file. Safely remove the USB drive and plug it in to the proper USB slot in the back of your X99-G5 computer. I have an X99-UD4 which has several USB ports on the back, some are blue, some are red, but one is white-- that's the one you want to put the USB drive into, while the system is turned off. Now start up your X99-G5 system and there should be an option to press END to enter Q-Flash mode, so keep pressing END to hopefully get into the Q-Flash mode which will enable you to update your BIOS via the flash drive. This should help you access the BIOS as my X99-UD4 had similar issues with starting and the BIOS until I updated the BIOS to F9c (which is not available for your motherboard yet). It still has issues booting up or going into the BIOS but it's much less frequent after I did the update. I hope this works out for you.

Edit: Alternatively, if you install Gigabyte's software that came on the CD with the motherboard it has an option to download and update your BIOS while you are in Windows, so you can try that if you are more comfortable doing it that way but I don't really like the Gigabyte software package..

Last edited:
So I recently got this motherboard, it boots up, it boots to disk but I can't get it to boot to BIOS. I tried various keyboards but that's not the issue, I don't know if a bent pin would permit access to BIOS and I certainly don't know what the problem is.

Can anybody help me out? I would certainly love to get my system up and running so I can customize it.
Do you have any drives connected that previously had data on them? That was the issue for me any many others on Gigabyte X99 boards. Disconnect your SSD/Hard drive and you'll be able to get into the BIOS just fine. See the X99-Gaming G1 issue tracker here

I'm using a DVI cable, same as you. I'm pressing delete yet I see a black screen, no cursor, no background, just a black screen.

There are several ways to get you into the bios as below:
1. Press "Del" key to enter bios.
2. Try to press "F12" to get boot menu.
I advised you to attached your USB drive and hard disk.
Under Boot menu, select Enter bios setup.
3. If you have Window 8/8.1 and your system is install on UEFI mode, you can enter bios through window as below link:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/20256-uefi-firmware-settings-boot-inside-windows-8-a.html

But your problem is seem to be so wide, for we don't know if you can only cannot boot to bios or cannot enter to OS as well?
A. If your problem is no display.
Please do change other VGA card to check.
What is your VGA card?
--> You can try to update your bios in the follwing ways aside to enter bios.
1. You can boot to USB drive, but you need to copy the EFIFLASH tools and bios.
Then Press F12 to boot menu to boot to USB drive.
2. You can flash bios using what Sirvincelot advice you.
3. If you can enter OS, you can use @bios.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5125#utility
B. If you previous has enable FAST boot under bios and you cannot enter bios setup anymore.
--> That is normal. Try to enter bios or UEFI firmware setup under window as shown on above link.
--> Try to clear CMOS and load optimized default.

Last edited:
Back