Gigabit options?

kevinzak

Limp Gawd
I have an Alltel Huawei EC228 modem connected to a Cradlepoint MBR-1000 Mobile Broadband Modem. It is an awesome router and really simplifies using cellular broadband as a home internet source. I am a bit new to networking, so I have a question. I am in the process of turning a computer I recently replaced into a file/media server. Primarily I will be doing backups to it and streaming media (some of which is HD, the majority is not. but still, I would like to be future-proof to some extent) from it to three computers and eventually to a Slingbox on my TV.

The MBR-1000 has Wireless-N, but does not have Gigabit ethernet. What are my options as far as this goes? It will be entirely over LAN (and WLAN for the laptop, I guess, although laptop is not essential at the moment) so would a Gigabit switch thrown into the mix allow me to stream with Gigabit speeds (assuming I have Gigabit NICs in my PCs)? If so, where in the network do I put it?

Easy, just put the gigabit switch between the server and all the computers you want to stream to. Hook up the MBR-1000 to the switch as well. That should take care of everything.

Alright, good deal. One more wrench to throw in the works, for you, though.

My router has to remain in my upstairs office. It cannot be moved. There is also a computer in the office. I currently have a ~50ft ethernet cable running from my upstairs office to the office in my basement, where my computer is. I would like to have the server in the downstairs office, as well. I only have one ethernet cable running from the upstairs to the downstairs. Anyway to set this up so both of those computers get gigabit without running a second cable to the basement?

My router has to remain in my upstairs office. It cannot be moved. There is also a computer in the office. I currently have a ~50ft ethernet cable running from my upstairs office to the office in my basement, where my computer is. I would like to have the server in the downstairs office, as well. I only have one ethernet cable running from the upstairs to the downstairs. Anyway to set this up so both of those computers get gigabit without running a second cable to the basement?

Attach a switch at the end of that 50ft ethernet cable. Attach both the server and the downstairs office PC to that switch. Attach the upstairs office PC to the router.

Attach a switch at the end of that 50ft ethernet cable. Attach both the server and the downstairs office PC to that switch. Attach the upstairs office PC to the router.

The router is not gigabit, though. So the upstairs PC would not have Gigabit speeds, would it?

The router is not gigabit, though. So the upstairs PC would not have Gigabit speeds, would it?

No it wouldn't. If you want the upstairs PC to have gigabit, get a second switch and place it upstairs where the router is.

Though it would be cheaper and easier to just run a second ethernet cable down for the server while keeping the switch up stairs.

No it wouldn't. If you want the upstairs PC to have gigabit, get a second switch and place it upstairs where the router is.

Though it would be cheaper and easier to just run a second ethernet cable down for the server while keeping the switch up stairs.

Yeah, I figured. I'll just run another cable. Praising God I went with CAT5e and Gigabit NICs when I set up my old network, though. Makes this whole process a shit load easier. Thanks for the help, both of you.

Could someone recommend a decent but well-priced gigabit switch? Price is an issue on this, but would still like some level of quality. A 5-port external switch would most likely be more than I would ever need.

Got it today. Installed and working out of the box. Thanks very much for the suggestion, it is a sweet little switch.

Back