Gigabit network terrible to variable performance.

daglesj

Supreme [H]ardness
Chaps,

I have the following setup -

Two laptops, two PCs, QNAP NAS, NETGEAR Prosafe Gigabit switch, CAT6 cable all round.

The laptops, PCs and NAS all have their ethernet ports set to gigabit and full 9k Jumbo frames.

Trouble is the data transfer is awful. The highest I've ever got is around 20MBps and it usually wavers around 13MBps for transfers of around 1GB but transfers of around 30GB drop to 1.6MBps and can take 4 hours plus.

I'd be better off with USB2.

The kit all has current drivers etc. and all lights and indicators register gigabit all round. I've tried different combos of jumbo frames but it varies wildly whatever I set it to.

Just wondering why its so awful? I'm not expecting miracles but if I could get good constant transfers into double figues I'd be pleased.

Wow, that is pretty lousy performance.
I am using cheap D-Link and Netgear Gigabit switches with onboard nics and get a little over double your 20MBs on most of my transfers (some of my transfers are from HTPC to PC to a USB2 drive on the PC so it gets stuck around 15-20MB/s)

Yeah, all the HDDs are defragged and running at their peak too. Everything checks out except the network.

You are assuming the network is the bottleneck. How fast are PC to PC transfers? PC1 to NAS? PC2 to NAS?

Are either of the PCs running Vista? Vista has known gigabit transfer speed issues.

You are assuming the network is the bottleneck. How fast are PC to PC transfers? PC1 to NAS? PC2 to NAS?

Are either of the PCs running Vista? Vista has known gigabit transfer speed issues.

PC to NAS gives the variable 20 to 13 to 1.6 performance so does PC to PC. All running Windows 7 64 bit or XP SP3.

Disable the sound on teh win7 machine and try a transfer to the XP machine for giggles.

You can also bypass the switch and transfer machine to machine also to rule out the switch.

Just an update.

I got reading some reviews of QNAP gear and one ofthem suggested that 7K Jumbo frames worked best.

Ok, worth a try so I set all my Gigabit NICs and the Qnap to 7K Jumbos.

We not get a steady reliable 32MBps rate.

I'm happy with that.

Back