Gigabit network but no gigabit speed

technut74

Limp Gawd
I cant figure it out and can not find a solution. All three computers have gigabit nics, I have gigabit router and switch, my d-link 321 is set to gigabit, the only thing on my network that is not gigabit is my printer. I'm not getting gigabit transfer speed from my computer to dlink 321. I rarely do computer to computer transfers, so I dont know what the speed is of that. The best tranfer rate is from 7-12mb. I am also using cat 5e wires on all connections. What am I missing?

That NAS is notorious for running at 10/100 speeds even though it has a Gigabit NIC on it.
My brother has one and it does maybe 12MB/s.

I don't think you are going to get huge perormance out of that NAS. You need a decent NAS system to start hitting the 80+ MB/s mark but 12MB still seems slow.

keep in mind that 12 megabytes/sec is exactly what a 100bT connection can do; double-check everything is really running at Gig, and do speed tests between the PCs using something like iperf to verify network is working as it should.

Similar issue to having Z-Rated tires being mounted on a cavalier and the owner believing he should be able to go faster now that he was higher speed rated tires.

keep in mind that 12 megabytes/sec is exactly what a 100bT connection can do; double-check everything is really running at Gig, and do speed tests between the PCs using something like iperf to verify network is working as it should.

I just did a quick read over at Dlinks forum and this device seems to be internally bottlenecked. Between 6-14MB is what everyone is getting from that NAS.
When my brother bought it last year from Newegg for $50, I told him that from what I had read that it is pretty slow, but he decided to keep it anyway.

I did my research and it seem that everyone with the dns-321 has a speed problem

What 2-bay nas do you guys recommend...something that has pretty good speed...and let me know what you are using and if you are happy with it.

Buffalo linkstations have 40MB reads and 32MB writes and are fairly cheap.

Or if you want to go even faster.....Grab one of these....the transfer rates are at the bottom of the page. Just don't be surprised at the price. Those QNAP NAS's are beasts.

I have a DNS-323 and it's pathetically slow - as others have said, the problem lies with your NAS.

Similar issue to having Z-Rated tires being mounted on a cavalier and the owner believing he should be able to go faster now that he has higher speed rated tires.

lol this.

a network is only as fast as the slowest link in the chain. your NICs are no longer the bottleneck, but upgrading your NICs to gigabit doesnt mean the rest of the hardware will automatically run at gigabit speeds, as you have found out.

QNap/synology make good products. ive used a 4bay Qnap NAS and it performed fairly well. remember that older hard drives, fragmented files, lots of small files, etc will degrade your transfer speed. if your hard drive is a pre- year 2000 80gb IDE drive, dont expect much more then 10 to 20MB/sec. newer drives are usually capable of 50-100MB/sec, so long as the rest of the links are up to task.

Do you have any computers on your network that are on 24/7 anyway, maybe you could just stick your drives in there and share them? I have all dozen or so of my storage drives in my relatively low-power server and with an Intel gigabit adapter I've seen up to 99% gigabit utilization when transferring files. ~30-40MBps would have been impressive 8 years ago.

Back