Gigabit LTE - The Path to 5G with Qualcomm, Ericsson, Netgear and Telstra

cageymaru

Fully [H]
The term 5G has been thrown around quite often in the past, but I never get excited about tech until you can show me how it will affect my life. In Australia a roll out of 4GX service has me wanting it in America ASAP! 4GX is going to be the fallback technology for future 5G cellular networks as 3G is to 4G LTE today. The Netgear Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router showcases the tech that Qualcomm, Ericsson, Netgear and Telstra have developed and it is blazing fast! 1 Gbps download and 150 Mbps upload capabilities on a cellular network! PCPer has a comprehensive write up on testing that occurred in Sydney, Australia on a Gigabit LTE network demonstration recently.

The newly introduced Gigabit LTE standard implemented by Ericsson, Qualcomm, and Telstra, as well as the Gigabit LTE device embodied in Netgear's Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router, offer a glimpse into the performance we can expect from future cellular networks. All four companies are dedicated to this standard and expect wide-spread adoption of Gigabit LTE by the end of 2017 and into 2018. As the infrastructure grows, Qualcomm has an impressive opportunity with 4GX-capable devices based on its Snapdragon 835 SoC chipset as well as its Snapdragon X16 Gigabit LTE modem chipset.

Now all they need to do is stop utterly rorting people on the price of mobile data. From Telstras website:

2GB for $15 or 5GB for $35

That's actually much much cheaper than what it used to be. Still not good though.
Not to mention, it could be 8g and capable of 24gbps but if I can't ever get signal...

Sweet. My rural hometown has been stuck with satellite internet and non-LTE '4G' for years now. I hope those poor souls can finally gain access to good wireless sooner rather than later, with all this rollout of new tech.

The problem here is that cellular networks have rediculous data caps. There is no such thing as 'unlimited data' on cellular plans in Australia. I expect 5G to have caps around 20g, and if you are willing to spend about $150+ per month, you may be able to raise that to 50g.

What needs to happen is a complete revamp of the hardline infrastructure, as heavily capped cellular networks dont fix the underlying issue.

The problem is that the current government is so far up Rupert Murdock's ass that they do everything they can to make sure Australia does not have acess to pesky things like Netflix or any other streaming service, lest the Australian people have an alternative to Murdock's monopolistic cable service. The internet as a whole is a direct threat to Foxtell, and you can bet that the fact that the current government's brilliant plan to spend extra cash to put forward objectively slower national broadband infrastructure was no coincidence.

/rant

Edit: i mean, seriously. For those of you not in the know: Australia was rolling out the NBN (National Broadband Network) as 1Gig fibre to the home. The opposition government (the ones owned by Murdock) were vored into power because boats, and decided to scrap the whole thing in favour of a 25Mbps hybrid fibre/copper network that has so far cost the Australian taxpayer MORE than running direct fibre due to how bad of a state the copper network was.

Ugh, i rarely get polotical but this shit makes me livid.

Last edited:
If I could just get AT&T to get their LTE to work, that would be great. Most of the time the signal is weak or the area is over saturated. I'm still waiting for all those micro cells they talked about.

This is definitely impressive, but real world results always leave me disappointed once it hits widespread use.

Dont believe the article, I have a phone with the company in question and its garbage in the real world with tons of users on the network. Half the time i am lucky to break 100KB/s on a download.

Meanwhile my other phone with a competitor network and lower user count and cheaper plans gets 1MB/s side by side.

It wouldn't surprise me if South Korea & Japan rollout 5G & 4GX really fast. Maybe I'll get to test it in the near future while I'm living in SK.

*tests my LG Optima L9 (T-Mobile 4G) via cell on SpeedTest*

2.93mbps down / 0.17 up

aawww....

The problem here is that cellular networks have rediculous data caps. There is no such thing as 'unlimited data' on cellular plans in Australia. I expect 5G to have caps around 20g, and if you are willing to spend about $150+ per month, you may be able to raise that to 50g.

What needs to happen is a complete revamp of the hardline infrastructure, as heavily capped cellular networks dont fix the underlying issue.

The problem is that the current government is so far up Rupert Murdock's ass that they do everything they can to make sure Australia does not have acess to pesky things like Netflix or any other streaming service, lest the Australian people have an alternative to Murdock's monopolistic cable service. The internet as a whole is a direct threat to Foxtell, and you can bet that the fact that the current government's brilliant plan to spend extra cash to put forward objectively slower national broadband infrastructure was no coincidence.

/rant

Edit: i mean, seriously. For those of you not in the know: Australia was rolling out the NBN (National Broadband Network) as 1Gig fibre to the home. The opposition government (the ones owned by Murdock) were vored into power because boats, and decided to scrap the whole thing in favour of a 25Mbps hybrid fibre/copper network that has so far cost the Australian taxpayer MORE than running direct fibre due to how bad of a state the copper network was.

Ugh, i rarely get polotical but this shit makes me livid.
All of this.

I recently moved from Christchurch in New Zealand, where I was on 130 megabit down, to the Gold Coast in Australia where I'm currently on 1.4 megabit down. Almost 100 times as slow. That's ADSL 1, and it's all that's available in my area in spite of it being a major city. The internet here is shockingly bad, to the point that I can only stream youtube in 144p. And even then it stutters and pauses a lot. There are 3 other people in the house using that 1.4 down too.

As KazeoHin has said, if the government wasn't so far up Murdoch's ass that they can taste what he's having for breakfast each morning, we would actually have decent internet. But hey, as long as they get their Murdoch donations everyone else can go fuck themselves, right?

Also the standard NBN speed, for the few places it's actually available, is 11-12 megabit down. If you want more than that you have to pay extra. That's half of what ADSL2 can do.

People constantly complain about data caps and say the speed is useless, but its not. it doesn't matter how small your data cap is, even if its 1 GB. Faster speeds make your life better anyway. Lets say you want to watch a movie or load a website. If you can get it done in 0.01 seconds you can just get strait to using the site or watching the movie. And if everyone on the network can do the same that means that the network is not as congested.

A congested network can burn more data, anyone who remembers the 56k days remembers how you would have to sometimes reload files, or pages multiple times as things error out due to the painfully slow speeds. So in some ways faster speeds may reduce your data usage.

We can also assume that faster speed wireless signals are accompanied by increased efficiency in use of the spectrum which will result cheaper data / gb.

Wow they are finally releasing devices that are proper 4G per the International Mobile Telecommunications Advanced (IMT-Advanced) specification.

Only been 9 years.

this shit makes me livid.

This guy gets it. Its a bloody shambles down here. An absolute right royal fuck up! Well its not a mistake, they did it on purpose. All while telling the ignorant public that the previous version of the NBN was blown out of budget and going ot cost us 100 billion dollars. (all lies and totally false but the dumb public believe eveyr word of the press in this country, the press thats in the Liberal/regressive pockets and fuck the facts and reality).

It makes me more then livid. After having waited 3 years to be put on the 3 Year Build Plan for the NBN, My city was put on schedual for Build Commence for FTTP in 4Q2014... then the 2013 Federal Election started approaching and the Labor Party (the ones that at least got the NBNv1 near as perfect as you could want it) imploded and lost the election due to them dropping the ball on in-fighting in their own Party. This let the LNP win the election and there goes FTTP for 60-70% of Australia. Decades of the exact same rotting last mile copper for us!! Again.

Would be nice if I could get something faster than 5 megabit DSL at my house.

I used to struggle with 5Mbit ADSL that was supposed to be 20M. Switched to LTE and got instant 100-120Mbit in and 35Mbit out. Even ping times were comparable to the adsl.

We have unlimited full speed fixed month price LTE here in Finland, which is cool. My company pays my 2 LTE connections (load balanced) but if I had to pay for it the cost would be 29,90 eur/month per connection.

Remind me the networking math where increasing bandwidth and upgrading network gear means less total capacity within the network? I keep forgetting how it works when I explain why bandwidth caps needed.

Remind me the networking math where increasing bandwidth and upgrading network gear means less total capacity within the network? I keep forgetting how it works when I explain why bandwidth caps needed.

Because money?

Yeah I was wondering that math too, you have same number of users, all hammering the same cell towers, now theoretically each person needs to access for less time (making a very generally wrong assumption that they don't change usage habits) but the overall data used is still the same and presumably the pipes to each tower are still the same.

OH BOY!!! Would I like to connect my cable to that silky speedy smooth connection.....mmmhmmm....

Would rather in this order:

1. Cheaper/cheap true unlimited data plans

2. Better signal of existing tech, the max speed when within 100ft of the receiver means nothing when in normal usage range you only get 100kbps.

3. More bandwidth for congested areas, link speed or potential link speed for a single user means nothing

Back