Gigabit connection keeps dropping to 100

teststrips

Limp Gawd
I've got a gigabit switch (Netgear GS105 5 Port switch) + various PCs with gigabit cards. I've got a long cable run which is about 75 feet which works perfectly. A 30 foot run to my HTPC which also works perfectly. My run to my main pc, which is going through a 6ft Cat6 cable works, but keeps dropping to 100 insead of keeping 1000. If I unplug/replug it, it is fine again for about a day, but I'm constantly being dropped down to a slower speed. Swapping the cable + port hasn't helped either.

At first I thought it was the cheap PCI gigabit card that I had... but when I upgraded my PC I put in an ASUS P5B motherboard which has built-in gigabit + its been giving me problems too.

Do I need a longer CAT6 cable? Is there a minimum cable length for gigabit connections?
Can I force gigabit connections with software?

bump for minimum cable length of gigabit and suggestions on ways to automatically bump the speed back up if dropped to 100

I have a Netgear GS105 and i have to power cycle it after a machine reboots, if the switch has been on a while. My machines still stay at gigabit, until a reboot, then they take for ever to prepare network connections and finally go to 100mbit/s.. I think that switch is just crappy, i went to the GS108 and have never had a problem with it.....

That cable is fine in terms of length. 6ft is completely normal.

Is the cable near any interference source?

I had the same problem with my P5B Deluxe, I would boot it up from being off, it would connect at 100, I'd restart and it would connect at 1Gb. My two other computers had no problems, an A8N-SLI Deluxe and a P4C800 Deluxe. I was using cat5e, switched to cat6, no change. So what I wound up doing was buying an Intel Pro/1000 PT PCI-E x1 Gigabit card, not a single problem since.

I posted this problem here on this board, the Networking board over at Anand and even on Netgear's forums, no one had a clue. Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Back