Gigabit cable internet & DOCSIS 3.1

xXaNaXx

Gawd
hey guys, for any of you out there who are on gigabit cable modem service, what make/model is your cable modem? i'm trying to find a modem somewhere that i could possibly buy retail, but i can't really find much of anything in the way of model numbers.

also, if you could post what provider you're on and your impressions with the service, that would be good; this could be used for people to come to and get more information if they are wanting to pick a provider and/or specific model of modem.

DOCSIS 3.1 and related CPE have not been released yet.

Sometime in 2016 is when cable providers will begin deploying.

Are you sure you aren't confusing these with fiber offerings?

Comcast's "Gigabit Pro" is fiber based, not cable.

That being said, the cable industry as whole is waiting on D3.1 modems to be released for purchase. We might know more after the SCTE Expo being held the week after next.

That's a big cable and communications show held each year.

no, Suddenlink in my area is offering gigabit over cable right now for 127.30/month after taxes/fees. i could sign up for it right now if i wanted to.

There are no current Gigabit services being offered over coax cable in the US. DOCSIS 3.0 will not support the speed on any carrier that also caries video or phone services due to lack of available clean channels to bond together. One of the big benefits of DOCSIS 3.1 is that due to new FEC and frequency modulation you can narrow the separation between the channels you bond, thus freeing up more spectrum for data while maintaining video and phone services over the same strand of coax. This does not reference the cable running to the home, but the Flex500/main line cable out on the poles or running underground.

OK, so i found out the information i was needing....posting up for anyone else that may be looking.

they are DOCSIS 3.0 (or "3.01" as the TSR from Suddenlink called it) and use 32x8 channels good for around 1.2Gbps:

Hitron CDA3-35 (modem only)
Arris DG3270 (modem +wifi)
Hitron CGNM-3552 (modem +wifi)

here's the link to an article proving that these networks DO actually exist already (i'm in Bryan-College Station, Texas, one of the few locations where Suddenlink has gig service available...i was just wrong about it being DOCSIS 3.1)

Last edited:
Rogers cable in canada is going to be offering the same 1000/50 connection in canada soon. For me however that upload is way to slow and will be staying on my 100/10 connection until docsis 3.1 hits.

Cost is 150 a month for it.

32 channel bonded D3.0 makes more sense.

That's cool that they're offering it.

Back