"gif" pronounciation

precisely. i say it "jif" but my friend insists its "gif". I made this thread to prove him wrong :)

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
always say gif as in gift without the t...

That is the way I have always said it.

Off topic I know, sorry, but is this like the to-mae-toe, to-mah-toe and Lin-ix, Line-ix thing?

And I've always pronounced it as "that-outdated-inflexible-but-convienent-format"... ooh :eek:.

And silly nonenglish europeans say 'gif' with G-as-in-graphics. :)

(Though honestly, that's more because the 'ji'-sound in "jif" doesn't really exist in norwegian. We pronounce 'jif' as 'yif'. :D)

Lol... I say "ping".

But I don't know what you guys mean by "good" b/c I don't see how you can pronounce "gif" by "good".

I say it like RancidWAnnaRIot does.

And obviously I say jpeg/jpg as "jay-peg"

Most people in the imaging and compression field will call it "jif" but I just prefer "gif" personally.

'JIF' is the correct pronunciation. There was a small gif87 primer on Compuserve a long long long long time ago when I used to have a 2400 bps modem that told you how to pronounce it.

Jif... My teachers says GIF but that sounds stupid...

Oh and its : Jay-pegg :p

Why, if the J's in Jiffy, Jill and Jim are pronounced "dj", and the G's in Gift, Gills and Gimp
are pronounced "gh", should we say "jiff" for a GIF!?

What next ... should we play a round of "Jolf"? ;)

Hyperion said:
Why, if the J's in Jiffy, Jill and Jim are pronounced "dj", and the G's in Gift, Gills and Gimp

AYE!

I say Gif. Jif is peanut butter. I've just never heard it said any other way. To each his own, I suppose.

gif, with a hard g.. as in gift.

I hate gifs.

Unless they're animated.

gif as in Gift...

and I hate to admit this, but I (and many here) taught myself everything I knew with my first computer (trial and error, and my father foooted the bill, why not delete explorer.exe?) Anyway, I only knew how to say the words as I read them in my mind, so cache became cache' (cash-eh). When I went to college I felt like a fool.

Anyone else out there want to admit to doing something similar.

Hyperion said:

well.. a guy can have the name of jeff or geoff, and geoff sounds the same? the english language is fucked up.

ninethreeeleven said:
Anyone else out there want to admit to doing something similar.
rendezvous
edinburgh
plenty others. I read a lot, which has built my vocabulary, but doesn't necessarily impart pronunciation.

I read a lot also, and just say the words how I think of them wich usually is not correct, but I get it right some.

Also, I may have a lazy toungue....but I have a hard time saying jewelry....I say it "jew-ry". Sad I know. :eek:

And I can't say kitty repeatedly fast either. Nor can I roll my "R"s. I may have had a stroke that I can't remember having, who knows. :D

Black Morty Rackham said:
GIF is short for Graphical Interchange Format. You don't say "Jraphical," do you? ;)

Gif as in Gift.

how does one pronounce george again?

emorphien said:
yup. that's the correct way... i still think its stupid :) Kind of like Asus, they say it like "Asoooos" and I hate that

me too.... asoos sounds fucking retarted.

hmm in the press release i seen from compuserve back in the late 80's they called it "G"if not Jif so I dont know the validity of that website

Jason711 said:
how does one pronounce george again?

"George" isn't an abbreviation for "Goddamn Evil Overlords Ratifying Gnus and Ewoks," is it? If "GIF" was short for "George's Indispensable Factory," I'd say "jif," no doubt about it.

Just before we start:
All participants of this thread have to concede that this is a nonsensical debate.

Decent argument fodder there fatbob_158 (interesting read).

Some obvious points raised by Jason711, Vulcanus, lomn75 ("rendezvous" is French
and "Edinburgh" is Scottish) require contention.

Lets look at some phonetic etymologies:

Geoff
abbreviated form of Geoffrey meaning "God's peace" or "glad peace" in Teutonic.
Possibly from the name Godfrey.

George
male personal name, from L. Georgius, from Gk. Georgios "husbandman,
farmer," from ge "earth" + ergon "work." The name introduced in England by the
Crusaders, but not common until after the Hanoverian succession (18c.); so also
Georgian (1855) in reference to the reigns of the first four king Georges (1714-1830). St.
George was recognized as the patron of England in time of Edward III, perhaps because of
his association with the Order of the Garter (see garter). The exclamation by (St.) George!
is recorded from 1598. The planet Uranus was known in the 1780s as the Georgian Planet
(L. Georgium sidus), so called by its discoverer in honor of his patron, King George III.

Gin
"type of distilled drinking alcohol," 1714, shortening of geneva, alt. (by influence of
the Swiss city) from Du. genever "juniper" (because the alcohol was flavored with its
berries), from O.Fr. genevre, from L. juniperus "juniper." Gin rummy first attested 1941.

Most G prefixed words have their origin in either German, Latin or Greek, and we all know
that "dj" is simply not in the phonetic flavour of any of these languages, but rather the
hard "g" like in gamma. I would surmise that "J-ing" the "G's" is a snobbish attempt by
the Poms of yesteryear to sound French. Gin the one exception is derived from the word
Juniper which indeed starts with a "J".

However ... as Jason711 rightly pointed out: "The English language is fucked up."

Black Morty Rackham, has the best point in his noting the source of the acronym Graphic Interchange Format.

Also note that in the early nineties video footage on the CorelDRAW CD's called the
Candian graphics company "Curell" which made sense since coral is a thing that grows
in the sea. Corel must therefore obviously boast some alternative pronunciation, but alas
the unwashed masses won out, Corel corp. have given in to their plebian nomenclature
and now call themselves "Coral". What does this mean ... just because an inventor calls
his/her invention a goofball name, doesn't mean we have to follow his/her lead! :p

It's an acronym.

Graphics Interchange Format

If the G is for graphic it makes sense that it would be gif...like gift without the t...as previously stated.

It's not like Jeraphics, making it jif.

right?

When you pronounce an acronym shouldn't it correspond with the actual words it's representing?

Needless to say. I've said gif all my life. Not only that but I think I have corrected every person that has ever said jif in my presence. :-D

Black Morty Rackham said:
"George" isn't an abbreviation for "Goddamn Evil Overlords Ratifying Gnus and Ewoks," is it? If "GIF" was short for "George's Indispensable Factory," I'd say "jif," no doubt about it.

well i guess both parties can be correct... however, i have always pronounce acronyms (sp? lol) as a word all to themselves. just makes it easier to remember, i think. hence, jif.

Back