"Ghosting" linux

vage

2[H]4U
Hey guys, I have a few server that will basically all be the same, and I have a fresh install of CentOS 5.2 with Cpanel installed on it that I would like to have an image of to put on any new server we get.

I have left everything pretty much blank, so it should be relatively good to backup and redistribute but there are a few things I am worried about. Like if I put this image onto a new server, will the different MAC address be automatically generated or will things get screwed up because its trying to use the original images MAC address?

Basically I'd like to hear what some of you guys do for ghosting and redistributing your linux images. I am using Acronis to create a backup image of mine btw.

You can edit the MACs out of the config files in /etc/sysconfig/networking-scripts/ifcfg-ethX to make the image work universally with different servers for multiple deployments.

You can edit the MACs out of the config files in /etc/sysconfig/networking-scripts/ifcfg-ethX to make the image work universally with different servers for multiple deployments.

So if I simply remove that line from those files and then create the image, when I put the image onto a new system and boot up the first time those fields will get replaced?

So if I simply remove that line from those files and then create the image, when I put the image onto a new system and boot up the first time those fields will get replaced?

No, they don't get replaced; they'll be absent.

Unix like or based operating systems deal with drivers very differently then windows deal with them. It is completely possible to take a a linix system from 1990, taking the hdd out and putting it in a new system of today. The system will boot completely fine, and while some hardware will not work, the fundamentals of the system will work completely fine. Oh and I use dump to do mine.

Really depends on which modules you have the kernel load, I have a backup of my webserver, fileserver and smoothwall router made using DD that is pretty much setup to be transparent of hardware for redundancy, I just change around a few driver modules for scsi, sata, etc and it works fine, if its the same basic arch and proper drivers it should load.

Back