“Ghostbusters” Review Embargo Lifted: “It’s A Bust”

Honestly, I didn't think the movie was that bad. Maybe I got caught up in the expectations game, but it there were some nice throw-backs to the original.

I don't get why GB2 gets so much hate. It's not as good as the first one but it's no where near the likes of Battlefield Earth like some people make it out to be.

I don't get why GB2 gets so much hate. It's not as good as the first one but it's no where near the likes of Battlefield Earth like some people make it out to be.
Yeah, but wasn't Battlefield Earth one of the worst movies ever? I think it got the razzie for wost film of the year. GB2 isn't that bad, but it was at best a mixed bag. I don't know how this one will be, but based on the reviews, it's not worse than GB2, with a chance that it's slightly better - a lot better if you ignore hose pesky top tier reviewers ;)

I will give the movie a chance honestly. Doesn't look bad. The entire franchise is just corny jokes but entertaining. Nostalgia is a sensation that can never be satisfied by new. If seeing something new 'ruins' your memories, your memories are a bit fragile. The most this could ruin for me is a couple hours of time.

Usually when you have females cast at lead rolls it doesn't have the same effect on people especially Ghost busters.

I didn't think Battlefield Earth was that bad. Yes, it wasn't a good movie by any measure, but I can name at least 50 movies off the top of my head that make it look Oscar worthy. (Yes, sadly I've seen way too many terrible movies). I feel partly why it was despised is because it was suppose to be despised, as deemed by the masses. Maybe the new Ghostbusters suffers from the same fate, but even trying to keep an open mind, the trailers didn't do much to keep my mind open.

I think it's because the 1st was so good, that the 2nd simply didn't live up to expectations. While it's still a good movie, people are always stuck comparing it to the first. Like the second Conan movie. It definitely wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. Unless you compare it with the 1st, then it's a bit of a letdown.

I didn't think Battlefield Earth was that bad. ... I feel partly why it was despised is because it was suppose to be despised, as deemed by the masses.

No. It was just simply terrible. You have bad taste. Also, Battlefield Earth is scientology propaganda.

List of films considered the worst - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It won seven Golden Raspberry Awards, including Worst Picture and Worst Screen Couple (John Travolta and "anyone on the screen with him"). In 2005, an eighth Razzie (for Worst "Drama" of Our First 25 Years) was awarded to the film, and in 2010 it won a ninth Razzie at the 30th Golden Raspberry Awards for Worst Picture of the Decade, the most of any film in the history of the awards at the time

The movie is officially "Certified Fresh" and at this point just over half the reviews from top critics were positive. It's going to have a great first weekend and we'll have to see what the masses think. Given that the run of the mill critics all like it, my guess is that the masses will too.

The movie is officially "Certified Fresh" and at this point just over half the reviews from top critics were positive. It's going to have a great first weekend and we'll have to see what the masses think. Given that the run of the mill critics all like it, my guess is that the masses will too.

$50m is what the updated domestic projections are saying for opening weekend. Not bad for this summer, but not enough to take the #1 spot. If projections are right it will just barely lose out to Secret Life of Pets. It's been officially revealed that the movie won't be released in China though, so that'll be interesting. It will need to do well in the other international territories and have a good audience retention rate week-over-week to see a big success. Still, like you said, it's on track to have a great first weekend.

The film sucked. However, women didn't ruin Ghostbusters. The global market did. In trying to cater to China, they removed all ties to the occult and those elements are some of the reasons the original Ghostbusters work. It tied occult, science, and humor to make an interesting world. The world building in this film is lackluster and that's the main issue with the film. It's just not interesting. Instead of Occult Detective work and hints at a larger, darker underbelly, the film replaces that with a "toy commercial." They spend a lot of time testing out equipment and talking about the equipment. It's really boring mostly. The cast does the best they can do with the neutered script/story.

Check out Blue Ruin if you enjoyed Green Room. Jeremy Saulnier knows how to make pants-shitting tension mixed with humor. It's...an odd combination but he makes it work in both movies.

i've been debating on whether or not to watch that and you may have just tipped my opinion.

The film sucked. However, women didn't ruin Ghostbusters. The global market did. In trying to cater to China, they removed all ties to the occult and those elements are some of the reasons the original Ghostbusters work. It tied occult, science, and humor to make an interesting world. The world building in this film is lackluster and that's the main issue with the film. It's just not interesting. Instead of Occult Detective work and hints at a larger, darker underbelly, the film replaces that with a "toy commercial." They spend a lot of time testing out equipment and talking about the equipment. It's really boring mostly. The cast does the best they can do with the neutered script/story.

I agree. I fell asleep a few times, but the kids next to me were loud and woke me up. If you need a good nap I recommend this movie.

So from what I read, this is in-fact a different universe? Apparently Feig was not too happy with Sony's marketing team and the trailer implying it was the same (opening line of "30 years ago four men ...").

The original had a couple of generally funny actors who could ad-lib around a lot. A design by committee "funny" is bound to fail

About that committee. I have a co-worker who basically claims that "fun" can be generated. He's our gameplay designer.

We're doomed

Back