“Ghostbusters” Review Embargo Lifted: “It’s A Bust”

Which just shows how out of control Hollywood is, if Creed is $50mil and considered a lower budget. Look at Green Room (a good film) and it's $5mil budget. Shot well, acted well, good effects (old school), directed well. But it seems that the mainstream movies are just outrageously frivolous with their cash. They'll spend millions to use CGI when classic FX can produce a better result.

For big budget movies a lot of times CG is actually more cost effective. Building big sets and hiring tons of extras is both expensive and time consuming. A lot of times for those really cheap movies very few people get paid well, or at all in some cases. CG also makes it possible to do thing that models and actors in costumes simply can't. Force Awakens is a really good example of mixing a lot of practical effects with CG but that's a $250m movie, Abrams basically had an unlimited budget to play.

Which just shows how out of control Hollywood is, if Creed is $50mil and considered a lower budget. Look at Green Room (a good film) and it's $5mil budget. Shot well, acted well, good effects (old school), directed well. But it seems that the mainstream movies are just outrageously frivolous with their cash. They'll spend millions to use CGI when classic FX can produce a better result.
CGI is not necessarily more expensive (and isn't generally noticed in movies like Creed) and Green Room's gross was 36% less than it's budget. I suspect that most movies (good or bad) lose money at the box office.

Green Room (while being one of my favorite movies) is extremely niche. Although It would be my bet that the director, coupled with his last niche (and equally amazing) release, will soon be directing much bigger productions.

Suffice to say, there's a thin line between indie films like Green Room, and bigger releases like this turd.

Glad to see that one very prominent film critic (Richard Roeper, of Ebert and Roeper fame) gave this film the slamming it deserved: 'Ghostbusters' reboot a horrifying mess
Having seen the film, Roeper echoed many of my critiques (about the trailers) when analyzing the film, which confirmed what I suspected: the trailers were practically the film itself.

Other fun notes: Sony being able to impose a NDA on movie reviews until just about the release date, and it's not possible right now to access any accurate figures on how much the movie made over this past weekend (unlike ANY other blockbuster released within the last 5 years; for example the MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe - one already saw box-office figures for their movie releases within a day or 2 of release on Wikipedia and other sources). I'm pretty confident that this film won't make the $50 million USD mark within its projected initial weekend release window, and will be firmly in the red.

Glad to see that one very prominent film critic (Richard Roeper, of Ebert and Roeper fame) gave this film the slamming it deserved: 'Ghostbusters' reboot a horrifying mess
Having seen the film, Roeper echoed many of my critiques (about the trailers) when analyzing the film, which confirmed what I suspected: the trailers were practically the film itself.

Other fun notes: Sony being able to impose a NDA on movie reviews until just about the release date, and it's not possible right now to access any accurate figures on how much the movie made over this past weekend (unlike ANY other blockbuster released within the last 5 years; for example the MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe - one already saw box-office figures for their movie releases within a day or 2 of release on Wikipedia and other sources). I'm pretty confident that this film won't make the $50 million USD mark within its projected initial weekend release window, and will be firmly in the red.

Around $40m is my guess, maybe not even that much. If Secret Life of Pets doesn't have a massive drop off next weekend and Finding Dory keeps doing well they could completely murder Ghostbusters domestically.

I personally think it's going to be impossible to look at this film without bias for at least a year. The dust needs to settle. Like, I don't trust the positives nor do I trust the negatives. I'll see it for myself, but I don't hold out hope because I don't care about the staff behind the camera. I find Feig worthless and his inclusion to the franchise is what set off alarms about the whole thing. Not the cast. Though, I don't find McCarthy funny at all, and wished we could stop using her in comedies. She's okay in dramatic stuff.

Going back to the 'gender swap' movie idea, I think 'Deliverance' would be a good candidate. It had that men trying to find their masculinity vibe to it, that I could see being reworked into women trying to find equal footing inside of a male dominant western world through survival and hardship.

What about a Rord of the Lings remake with an all Chinese cast? Fry, You Fools!

See, that would be a parody. I have no problems with those. I'd sure as shit watch that, too.

Scary Movie and a ton of other really shitty parody movies are out.

Movies that are seriously trying to be real movies but come off as the above parodies. Never thought about it like that before, but it's pretty accurate. They try and push some of the old stuff into the new movie, but it doesn't work. They try to make laughs, but it doesn't work. It's just a shitty parody.

I'm going to watch the movie before I make my final judgement, of course. But, I really don't have high hopes. I'll laugh, I'm sure. But, it won't be a good movie.

Green Room (while being one of my favorite movies) is extremely niche. Although It would be my bet that the director, coupled with his last niche (and equally amazing) release, will soon be directing much bigger productions.

Suffice to say, there's a thin line between indie films like Green Room, and bigger releases like this turd.

Green Room shocked the hell out of me. I didn't know Patrick Stewart was in it and he makes a bad ass bad guy.

Green Room shocked the hell out of me. I didn't know Patrick Stewart was in it and he makes a bad ass bad guy.

Check out Blue Ruin if you enjoyed Green Room. Jeremy Saulnier knows how to make pants-shitting tension mixed with humor. It's...an odd combination but he makes it work in both movies.

Ignoring as much of the hyperbole as possible, the reality is the movie doesn't look good. There are just far too many stereotypes and tropes being pandered too in the trailers and what most are saying.

That all said, I do plan on at least watching it. On Redbox when it costs me a buck. That way if it is as bad as I expect it to be, I didn't really lose anything. If it happens to be decent then I'm pleasantly surprised. However all the female nonsense aside, what people are saying concerning the script writing and effects don't sound like hate for the sake of hate. It sounds like a legitimately terrible film.

I'm very confused. It seems like those hating on it (some of the comments smell pretty sexist) have already seen the movie. Not expecting it to be a great film, but I'm sure we'll fire it up on a free evening once it hits HBO and give it a chance.

The reviews are pretty mixed, but above average so far.

Bobby Brown? That'd be Whitney Houston, then. They had a couple hits together. ;)

haha I get the joke but in 1989 Whitney was still pure and would have never even looked at Bobby brown.

So not her either just some random chick.

I never realized how gay Quantum Leap was until I rewatched a couple episodes recently. I loved that show as a kid.

Not 80s, but Star Trek TNG and Farscape did though, as most sci-fis tend to age better since you aren't so stuck on the fashion and old cars and what not that date them.

oh c'mon now QL is not that bad! A handful years ago I had a grade 3 sprain on both ankle and foot (foot was only partially torn) and was holed up for a couple weeks not being able to walk. Right after Skyrim released so played endless hours of that, but setup a secondary TV on my coffee table and the only thing on from 10am to noon daily worth watching was QL. Was still epic, who cares he cross dresses in half the episodes!

Edit: My wife did rip it to shreds when I tried to play it for her. ;)

I'm very confused. It seems like those hating on it (some of the comments smell pretty sexist) have already seen the movie. Not expecting it to be a great film, but I'm sure we'll fire it up on a free evening once it hits HBO and give it a chance.

The reviews are pretty mixed, but above average so far.
They're hating on previews. The "reviews" were before the movie even released so take them with the buckets of salt they merit.

The most tiring aspect of this entire brouhaha is the retrospective reinterpretation of the original as some sort of cinematic masterpiece.

The most tiring aspect of this entire brouhaha is the retrospective reinterpretation of the original as some sort of cinematic masterpiece.

The original isn't "Gone With The Wind" or "Ben-Hur", that's for sure -- comedies usually don't get that type of nod. Thing is, the 2016 remake is just bad. No adjectives needed. Simply BAD. Ivan Reitman (director of the first 2 films) had to be, essentially, "cajoled" into being involved on this film as a "co-producer" (as per the Sony email leaks) since he didn't want the Ghostbusters franchise to be hurt, and strongly felt it would be with a remake. Guess what? It most likely was. Sony is taking exactly the kind of "damage control" actions that a studio does when faced with losing a massive investment. For more, please see my longer post earlier in this thread (page 2, post #166).

Ah, if only one can call a spade a spade, instead of a "wedged semi-precise instrument with textured wooden details and a classic rustic finish, commonly used in the Tudor era". :p

Or the movie just isnt that bad. Thats the alternative to super studio mind control voodoo.

Going back to the 'gender swap' movie idea, I think 'Deliverance' would be a good candidate. It had that men trying to find their masculinity vibe to it, that I could see being reworked into women trying to find equal footing inside of a male dominant western world through survival and hardship.
I now have a mental image of Melissa Mccarthy in the rape scene. :(

Or the movie just isnt that bad. Thats the alternative to super studio mind control voodoo.

Lol it's not voodoo mate, it's called "modern PR tactics" which have been employed by governments and major corporations for at least 100+ years.

obHDJff.png

He is Vigo!

They should have brought in Bill Murray to play the ghost of Peter Venkman. That would have been enough of a reason for alot of the original fans to see this movies. Litteral no one I know was excited about this movie.

They should have brought in Bill Murray to play the ghost of Peter Venkman. That would have been enough of a reason for alot of the original fans to see this movies. Litteral no one I know was excited about this movie.

That was one of the plans for Ghostbusters 3 at one point. Murray said he wanted to be a ghost at one point.

That was one of the plans for Ghostbusters 3 at one point. Murray said he wanted to be a ghost at one point.

I think we got as close as we're going to get with Ghostbusters 3 in Zombieland. if any of you have not seen Zombieland by now for some stupid reason, stop delaying and go see it!

When it hits HBO, I might give it a shot, but definitely not before. As for the reviews, I read this from one of the "fresh" reviews:

After an effectively scary opening, the film does prove to be funny (as Feig and McCarthy collaborations tend to be).
McCarthy and Wiig — two of the finest comedy actors currently working — are on good form as usual, but Leslie Jones also snags some of the best lines as Patty Tolan, the subway worker-turned-fourth member of the team.

I don't like Feig to begin with. I didn't like Bridesmaids, and I didn't like Spy. And from what I've seen of Leslie Jones, I don't find her funny at all, so saying how she delivers some of the best lines, well, I certainly don't trust that reviewer anymore.

But it doesn't matter, as I don't matter in the grand scheme of things. I'm sure Ghostbusters will be #1 this weekend by a far shot, and it will make it's money back. Just like those Call of Duty boycotts, half the people criticizing the trailers probably already have their tickets to see the film.

We already knew it was a bust when they released that trailer. There is stupid funny and then there is just stupid for the sake of stupid. I will leave you to guess which one this is.

Nuff said lol

Unless already posted then ignore. :D

Ghostbusters 2 is nowhere near as bad as people like to say it is. It's nowhere near the masterpiece that the first movie was, but 2 wasn't terrible. It was still an above average comedy movie with good acting and a fun script. It's a hell of a lot better than most movies that try to pass for comedies these days.

The movie I want to see is the cast heckling the movie MST3K style. They are a funny bunch, but the movie looks like a turd.

Back