“Ghostbusters” Review Embargo Lifted: “It’s A Bust”

While we're on the topic of raping childhood memories, the warcraft movie was particularly guilty of this. One of the worst movies I've seen in recent times
The trailer of the warcraft movie was only slightly better than the trailer of ghostbusters.

They wanted to milk feminists for money with this, and it is working, feminists are defending this even before it is released, and pledging their allegiance to watch it. So it being endless is quite a real possibility no matter how horrible that sounds.

Guess they will never remake Shazam or Isis. I tried to watch the 6 million dollar man reruns and that was painful. I think some memories are best un re-lived.

Oh, they'll make an ISIS movie eventually but it won't have the same story line or characters.

They have done these race and gender uninspired switcheroos since the 70s, and they always suck. Remember all black version of Wizard of Oz "the Wiz" with Michael Jackson or the black Cinderella, or the crappier remake of Limitless with Scarlett Johansson?

The only exception I can think of that has ever succeeded was the all female version of the Hangover, Bridesmaids. I still didn't like it, but the movie was a success even if it was a ripoff.

Just to add, I read somewhere that "Roadhouse" (Patrick Swayze) is going to be re-done with Ronda Rousey playing Patrick's role.

So what other movies would you like gender swap?
A few that comes to mind

Oceans's
The dirty dozen
Inglorious Bastards
The Bridge on the River Kwai

They have done these race and gender uninspired switcheroos since the 70s, and they always suck. Remember all black version of Wizard of Oz "the Wiz" with Michael Jackson or the black Cinderella, or the crappier remake of Limitless with Scarlett Johansson?

The only exception I can think of that has ever succeeded was the all female version of the Hangover, Bridesmaids. I still didn't like it, but the movie was a success even if it was a ripoff.
Ignoring the fact that I saw no similarities between the two movies...

I hated Limitless, but loved Lucy. Luc Besson is awesome.

A few that comes to mind

Oceans's
The dirty dozen
Inglorious Bastards

I identify as an aubergine and take offense at the lack of representation of my people in modern media

A few that comes to mind

Oceans's
The dirty dozen
Inglorious Bastards

Gender swapped Ocean's is happening. It's supposedly more of a soft reboot, with Cloony's movies having taken place in the same universe. Supposedly it will star Sanda Bullock in the Clooney role with Cate Blanchett, Elizabeth Banks, Helena Bonham Carter, and Mindy Kaling also staring,

I didn't expect this to do any good anyway. Looks like it will be funny. But, it's more Scooby Doo than Ghostbusters. And I cannot stand Leslie Jones. She's trying to hard to do the stereotypical loud obnoxious black chick. She does the same thing on SNL. When she acts normal, she's fine. She can be funny. But, that's her thing. Nothing against it, I just don't like it. Chris Farley was amazing, but he was always the same character - the fat dopey guy.

I love Melissa McCarthy. I think she is hilarious. She also has that typecast as the fat obnoxious woman. It works for her, though. She can do other parts, but she's known for the fat obnoxious woman. Kristin Wiig is also great. I don't know the other girl, but in the previews, she really annoys the shit out of me.

When it comes to scientists, the original team did it alright. Egon, especially (RIP Harold Ramis). Nailed the part. The others were believable. The new ones? Not so much. The delivery of their 'science' lines seems forced and sounded like they were just reading the script...

^^All opinions are based on the trailers, not the actual movie. I will not be watching the movie in theaters. I'll wait for a rental, Netflix, or other method.

Apocalypse Now with an all female cast could be kind of cool. Finding a good enough cast could be pretty damn hard though.

A few that comes to mind

Oceans's
The dirty dozen
Inglorious Bastards

If done right, Inglorious Basterds would be pretty awesome. You'd need some bad ass women, and it'd probably be a "sponsored by UFC" or something. It'd be hard to pull off, but I'd watch it if it was done correctly.

I'd like to see it go the other way:

Brotherhood of the Traveling Pants
Sex in the City with Men
etc.

I think Ghostbusters with women had a chance of being great. They just used the women angle as the focus point...

Gender swapped Ocean's is happening. It's supposedly more of a soft reboot, with Cloony's movies having taken place in the same universe. Supposedly it will star Sanda Bullock in the Clooney role with Cate Blanchett, Elizabeth Banks, Helena Bonham Carter, and Mindy Kaling also staring,

I read rumors about it, but didn't know it was actually happening. I'd love to see Hellen Mirren cast.

Now on the couter side

Steel Magonlias
Fried Green Tomatoes
Charlies Angels

Never saw original and not going to see this one. Except maybe if the chick from SNL is funny in it. She makes me laugh so hard.

I hate that song so much that my spine bleeds.

Never heard of that one. I'm not a fan. I mean the original song

Damn. It has both chicks I like from SNL. Wiig and Jones. Hmmm. They both make me laugh. Wife wants to see new Star Trek. Double date in separate theatres for the win.

Not a big movie fan. My faves list is very short. 10 Commandments, A Clockwork Orange, Blue Velvet and The Book of Eli. Some of the Aliens flicks were ok.

Guess they will never remake Shazam or Isis. I tried to watch the 6 million dollar man reruns and that was painful. I think some memories are best un re-lived.

Jane Bond as agent 0069 in Pistols are Forever.

Do you have anything to offer other than terrible movie taste and stupid one liners? Jesus Christ.

Re: The Movie

No surprises here. Looks like shit, as do most 'blockbuster' films recently. Really tasteless humor and stupid special effects.

If done right, Inglorious Basterds would be pretty awesome. You'd need some bad ass women, and it'd probably be a "sponsored by UFC" or something. It'd be hard to pull off, but I'd watch it if it was done correctly.

Margot Robbie as Donny Donowitz. Just by looking as how she handles the Bat in Suicide Squad.

I think Ghostbusters with women had a chance of being great. They just used the women angle as the focus point...

It had a chance, but them labeling it a "reboot" instead of a sequel ruined it for me.

Fuck reboots, and fuck reboots for the sake of cashing in on feminists.

I'll watch it as soon as it cost "nothing"! (waits for free movie stream). Its a renter at best, only cause it doesn't interest me.

Do you have anything to offer other than terrible movie taste and stupid one liners? Jesus Christ.

Re: The Movie

No surprises here. Looks like shit, as do most 'blockbuster' films recently. Really tasteless humor and stupid special effects.
Just as much as you have to offer.. You haven't even seen it and you show up talking shit.... None of those comments were for you. So why are you making useless comments after the fact??

Similar troll is similar troll.

Just as much as you have to offer.. You haven't even seen it and you show up talking shit.... None of those comments were for you. So why are you making useless comments after the fact??

Similar troll is similar troll.

You're a noob who is spamming posts about stupid shit no one is replying to. GFY.

edit:
Not making more posts in this thread not related to the topic so, I'll just edit this one.

Case in point.

DrLobotomy said:

Last edited:
Heh, yeah there's definitely some cheese 80s stuff. Loved as a kid, but I cringed when I tried to rewatch.

Buck Rogers comes to mind. But Erin gray in skin tight spandex, oh my. I was wondering why my 10yrold wee wee got the tingles when I saw her bend over in that spandex outfit:D

YES!!! Erin Gray is possibly the most beautiful woman in history or at least in the top 1%. I was 8 and didn't even know what masturbation was which is a good thing because I probably would've been whooping it til I was shooting out knee cartilage.

acteur_erin-gray_9_1141998499_zpsjjtvbspt.jpg

But yeah, a lot of the great shows from the past didn't age well. Miami Vice was the absolute coolest show in e world and every dude wanted to be Sonny Crockett or Rico Tubbs. I dare you to watch it now and not cringe. Haha!

It had a chance, but them labeling it a "reboot" instead of a sequel ruined it for me.

Fuck reboots, and fuck reboots for the sake of cashing in on feminists.

Reboots suck for those that watched and loved the original. Because as much as I try not to, and try and look at it as a single stand alone movie, I can't. I compare it to the original and am always let down. I can enjoy the movie, but I still compare it to the original and it's just not as good.

Clearly we need a female Crocodile Dundee.

Falling Down would be an interesting reboot with a female.

Bans have been handed out. Anyone else want to join?

Clearly we need a female Crocodile Dundee.

Falling Down would be an interesting reboot with a female.

Damn. You are brutal. Those would be horrible. It'd even be horrible if they did a reboot with males. Those movies are perfect the way they are. If anyone fucks with them, I hope it's career ending.

"Oh look, 46% on RT, movie sucks."

"Oh wait, it's 78% now? Must be paid reviewers."

Why not go see the movie for yourself?

Actually the difference is between "any1 is a critic and top critics", any1 is a critic is the high score, top critics just got to 50%.

And no, i won't give them even 1 penny to go watch that turd.

I found a review in my Twitter feed recently that caught my eye. The way the information was presented was much more on the quantitative side than qualitative than I've seen many other places. I'm not able to post links yet but if you search for "Ghostbusters 2016 Review *Rage Alert*" at YouTube you should be able to find it pretty quickly.

Just a few [contains spoilers] of the many major issues the reviewer found is listed below for those who don't want to watch 15 minutes of bashing bashing.

• Most severely, the movie quickly departs from the rules that it establishes for itself. Like the original run of Ghostbusters movies, ghosts can only be contained rather than destroyed. This is established through dialogue and action. In the large-scale battle in Times Square, the proton packs are suddenly able to destroy ghosts with no explanation. The team also pulls out energy-firing gauntlets that can destroy ghosts.
  • Character portrayals are cartoonish, almost to the point of being caricatures. With the exception of Chris Hemsworth, the men in the movie are bumbling buffoons who are consistently late, wrong, etc. Leslie Jones's character makes little use of her range of skills; they could have cast anyone off the streets to continue the "angry black woman" trope. "Oh no; oh hell no." "Oh, I know he di'unt, sugar." etc.
  • Despite the movie being pushed hard as a victory for women as lead role movie-carriers, the movie sends a rather large middle finger to the idea that this could be done respectfully and with a hint of seriousness. Rather than being given a way to defeat the villain using their brains, the only way the characters can think to defeat the final incarnation is by shooting him in the crotch.

For all the money that is spent making movies nowadays, you'd think that people could be brought onto the team to check continuity, look for glaring scripting issues, and make sure the movie doesn't do more harm than good to its intent (in this case, advancing women as movie drivers)

topcat989 said:
Heh, yeah there's definitely some cheese 80s stuff. Loved as a kid, but I cringed when I tried to rewatch.
I never realized how gay Quantum Leap was until I rewatched a couple episodes recently. I loved that show as a kid.

Not 80s, but Star Trek TNG and Farscape did though, as most sci-fis tend to age better since you aren't so stuck on the fashion and old cars and what not that date them.

I found a review in my Twitter feed recently that caught my eye. The way the information was presented was much more on the quantitative side than qualitative than I've seen many other places. I'm not able to post links yet but if you search for "Ghostbusters 2016 Review *Rage Alert*" at YouTube you should be able to find it pretty quickly.

Just a few [contains spoilers] of the many major issues the reviewer found is listed below for those who don't want to watch 15 minutes of bashing bashing.

• Most severely, the movie quickly departs from the rules that it establishes for itself. Like the original run of Ghostbusters movies, ghosts can only be contained rather than destroyed. This is established through dialogue and action. In the large-scale battle in Times Square, the proton packs are suddenly able to destroy ghosts with no explanation. The team also pulls out energy-firing gauntlets that can destroy ghosts.
  • Character portrayals are cartoonish, almost to the point of being caricatures. With the exception of Chris Hemsworth, the men in the movie are bumbling buffoons who are consistently late, wrong, etc. Leslie Jones's character makes little use of her range of skills; they could have cast anyone off the streets to continue the "angry black woman" trope. "Oh no; oh hell no." "Oh, I know he di'unt, sugar." etc.
  • Despite the movie being pushed hard as a victory for women as lead role movie-carriers, the movie sends a rather large middle finger to the idea that this could be done respectfully and with a hint of seriousness. Rather than being given a way to defeat the villain using their brains, the only way the characters can think to defeat the final incarnation is by shooting him in the crotch.

For all the money that is spent making movies nowadays, you'd think that people could be brought onto the team to check continuity, look for glaring scripting issues, and make sure the movie doesn't do more harm than good to its intent (in this case, advancing women as movie drivers)

Saw that review a couple days ago. The one I really liked was from the channel Beyond the Trailer. The reviewer did a spoiler review and she went into a lot of detail about what she felt worked and didn't work in the movie and where a lot of things went wrong. The review pretty much confirmed what the trailers made it look like: A great cast stuck into a fairly bland movie with bad special effects.

Saw that review a couple days ago. The one I really liked was from the channel Beyond the Trailer. The reviewer did a spoiler review and she went into a lot of detail about what she felt worked and didn't work in the movie and where a lot of things went wrong. The review pretty much confirmed what the trailers made it look like: A great cast stuck into a fairly bland movie with bad special effects.

It had the potential to be good. It just looks like they really screwed it up. I had no problem with women Ghostbusters. Seeing that first preview killed it for me. It wasn't a Ghostbusters movie. It was almost mocking the original and making into a joke...

$150m was the production budget? Wow, that just seems so ridiculous. I thought the $50m it made would have covered the production cost and been some profit. They way overspent. Ya...the movie may just end up a flop. I can see it paying for itself after bluray/dvd sales, but I don't think box office money will do it.
Creed had a budget of 40 million, and it had relatively little CGI - I assume every movie has some CGI.

Edit: Us Weekly's blurb: "it's better than Ghostbusters 2."
Faint praise considering how awful that movie was.

Ironically, if the current trend continues, Ghostbusters will be Certified Fresh, with or without a fresh rating by the top critics. If it's Certified and top critics don't like it...well I've never seen that happen before.

FWIW: 77% postive overall and 50% from top critics.

Last edited:
With the topic of bad swap reboots. Anyone catch that they're pissing on John Candy's grave by doing an Uncle Buck race-swap show? I saw it advertised and looked it up. I'm ok with mixing things up for a reboot, but let's not just swap for the sake of swapping.

That's like rebooting Bad Boys into a TV show with all white people. Don't f with the classics.

I would have been ok with a Ghostbusters reboot (or distant sequel) if they would have not gone full retard. A younger "next-gen" cast could have worked. Miles Teller seems to be able to hit dry-sarcasm/wit pretty well. Mix in a female or two (maybe 5 for the new squad? 3 males, 2 females or vice versa). Bring in the willing old cast as "mentors". It could have worked.

Last edited:
With the topic of bad swap reboots. Anyone catch that they're pissing on John Candy's grave by doing an Uncle Buck race-swap show? I saw it advertised and looked it up. I'm ok with mixing things up for a reboot, but let's not just swap for the sake of swapping.

That's like rebooting Bad Boys into a TV show with all white people. Don't f with the classics.

There are some movies where it would make some sense. Sure, fine. I get it. Have fun. Others - like you said "Don't f with the classics". Uncle Buck is one of those. Crocodile Dundee, Falling Down were a couple others mentioned. You just can't redo them.

Creed had a budget of 40 million, and it had relatively little CGI - I assume every movie has some CGI.

Edit: Us Weekly's blurb: "it's better than Ghostbusters 2."
Faint praise considering how awful that movie was.

Ironically, if the current trend continues, Ghostbusters will be Certified Fresh, with or without a fresh rating by the top critics. If it's Certified and top critics don't like it...well I've never seen that happen before.

FWIW: 77% postive overall and 50% from top critics.

Which just shows how out of control Hollywood is, if Creed is $50mil and considered a lower budget. Look at Green Room (a good film) and it's $5mil budget. Shot well, acted well, good effects (old school), directed well. But it seems that the mainstream movies are just outrageously frivolous with their cash. They'll spend millions to use CGI when classic FX can produce a better result.

Back