Ghostbusters Official Trailer

Special effects might be pretty good. The Bimbos need a very heavy case of Smack Down laid on them, no survivors.

I didn't think much of the movie even before the trailer and now I think even less of it.

The original movie worked because the story and the characters were made out to be real and serious but with comedic aspects to some of the characters and the situations.

This^

If you skip traditional story telling (complete with protagonist(s) you can relate to and connect with in a situation that elicits feeling that they need to overcome, have supporting characters with different archetypes, climax, conclusion, etc. etc.) by using uninteresting idiotic characters that seem to accidentally accomplish things despite themselves without a care in the world or sense of urgency, you better

1) damn well be hilarious
2) not connect to a much loved previous nameplate that was conveyed entirely different manner (in this case traditional)

This looks like they made Scary Movie 4 and called it The Shining 2

I was resoundingly underwhelmed and put off by the trailer. I like all four actresses involved and I love the idea of Chris Hemsworth playing the Annie Potts role. Hemsworth has incredibly good comedic timing and a natural charm that would fit in well with this group. I even like the director. The Heat had some issues, but I laughed. I thought Spy was a fun riff on Bond and spy films, and the interactions between McCarthy and Statham were brilliant. This trailer though? Bleh.

I do not like puke or fart jokes. They simply do nothing for me other than make me roll my eyes which puts the trailer off to a bad start from the get-go. The rest of the humor fell flat as well. The jokes were either incredibly poorly written (especially the Exorcist riff at the end of the trailer) or felt too forced. The CG ghosts were the most "real" thing in the trailer. I was focusing on them and thought they looked really neat. Any time any of the character spoke I either groaned or was pretty stone faced. Outside of that is all the tech they use. The pistols coming from the proton pack were dumb, McCarthy punching a ghost with some kind of glove was fucking stupid. The new Ecto-1 looks baaaaad. The entire movie just feels off. Like no one actually cared about it and no one put in any real effort. The original movie had a lot of charm and heart to it, it felt real. You could tell there was care put into the script and a lot of thought went into what everyone's role in the movie should be. Despite being a comedy they still took the subject matter seriously. This reboot seems to be missing all of that.

Also, despite trying to pretend to honor the original you'd think someone would have actually WATCHED it instead of going "Oh, they were all scientists".

Well i actually opened the video on youtube to vote it down due to the sheer lvl of unfun. I expected to see some 15-20% downvotes, but to my surprise it is way worse. 63.5k ups vs 92.5 downs.

Yeah, this will bomb so hard that people will wonder if there is some nuclear testing going on.

Horrible, horrible, horrible. Can't stand McCarthy as I don't think she's funny, and I'm tired of Hollywood trying to ruin fond childhood memories for me.

The only one "ruining" memories is yourself. Prequels, sequels, remakes, etc CANNOT ruin memories unless you allow them to. Bay's Ninja Turtle's movie is fucking terrible, but it did not "ruin" my childhood memories of the cartoon and the first movie. Same with Transformers 2. I utterly despise that movie, but it does nothing to my memories of the characters in it. Hell, even the damn Star Wars prequels don't effect my love of the original trilogy. Absolutely nothing can shake the fond memories I have of my childhood and the things I loved back then. Even acknowledging that some of the things I liked as a kid were kind of shit doesn't change the memories.

Horrible, horrible, horrible. Can't stand McCarthy as I don't think she's funny, and I'm tired of Hollywood trying to ruin fond childhood memories for me.

Agreer 100%. As an 80's kid I feel like the studios are trying to ruin great movies I grew up with one at a time.

It's just as bad as I assumed it was going to be. They reproduced the same characters down to their skin color and only changed the genders. The deliveries were horrible which is a death knell to a comedy based movie. This will be nothing more than a feminist propaganda piece as they claim that the only reason people didn't like it was because it was female dominated rather than the fact they just made a worse version of a classic movie. The gender swap comes off as spite more than anything else. In a time where Thor is now a woman, Starbuck is now a woman, ect, ect does the Ghostbusters need to be female too? Can't we find original roles for female characters/heroes? Do they need to usurp roles previously held by men for no other reason than agenda?

Last edited:
Agreer 100%. As an 80's kid I feel like the studios are trying to ruin great movies I grew up with one at a time.

How can they ruin the old movies? It is not logical to believe that any new movie can ruin something that came before it. You can still buy 1 & 2. They released them on blu-ray recently. Sony isn't going to come to your house and take away your old movies and burn them. They aren't going to erase your memories of them. The only way they can "ruin" anything is if you allow them the new thing to influence your feelings of the old, which is insane.

How can they ruin the old movies? It is not logical to believe that any new movie can ruin something that came before it. You can still buy 1 & 2. They released them on blu-ray recently. Sony isn't going to come to your house and take away your old movies and burn them. They aren't going to erase your memories of them. The only way they can "ruin" anything is if you allow them the new thing to influence your feelings of the old, which is insane.
They "ruin" it with the claim that the original is obviously misogynist and thus evil. Like Hitler level evil ... just ask any of the activists. Making the ghostbusters female is social justice in regards to that evil.

The same way that Tom and Jerry was ruined. You can't even reference it anymore without getting a PC Warrior in your face screaming at you in public.

They "ruin" it with the claim that the original is obviously misogynist and thus evil. Like Hitler level evil ... just ask any of the activists. Making the ghostbusters female is social justice in regards to that evil.

Again, you are ALLOWING people to dictate you memories and likes or dislikes. Who the fuck cares what other people think? You like something or you don't for your own reasons, everyone telling you you're wrong can go to hell. SJWs can all go fuck themselves. As for this movie. The change feels cynical and forced. Trying to cash in on the successes the director and three of the actresses have had with movies recently. It's typical Sony Pictures trying to chase something popular while having absolutely zero idea what they're doing. This is supposed to be the start of same big shared universe and it feels like it. The cynical nature of what Sony wants is incredibly apparent in every scene of the trailer.

Let's see...

Racist caricature token black woman.
Funny because fat.
Everyone is a comedian.

Ghostbusters was funny because for the most part the characters took everything within the universe seriously. Yes, Venkman was the obviously comical character thrown into the mix, but that's just it... it was a "mix". Winston wasn't a scientist, but he wasn't doing some shuck and jive routine either. That character was simply the "relatable" one, and the fact that Ernie Hudson is black wasn't even a factor in how the character responded to anything at all. If they were to replace this actress with Tyler Perry they could re-title it Madea's Halloween Adventure and it wouldn't make a difference. I don't care that it's women doing the ghostbusting, but everything else about it just looks horrible.

So at what point would it not be racist? I'm asking seriously here. Does it have to be an all black cast? Sometimes it seems as if everything in life is "damned if you do, damned if you don't" I think the entire cast sucks... and using a cult classic like ghostbusters as some feminist platform just takes away from what the original was. I have no problem with whatever race they cast as long as it's a good movie... I will say though the female equivalent of Winston looks like a prison style lesbian that could whip any one of our asses. Winston was great because he was so cool, so laid back, not south loud mouth

Melissa McCarthy was kind of funny in "spy" - jason staham was better even though his part was minor. For this movie... Ecto1 looks like shit, their proton packs look retarded, the only thing that looks to be on point is the CGI representation of Slimer.

The only thing i liked about the trailer was the modernized ghostbusters theme music.

So at what point would it not be racist? I'm asking seriously here. Does it have to be an all black cast? Sometimes it seems as if everything in life is "damned if you do, damned if you don't" I think the entire cast sucks... and using a cult classic like ghostbusters as some feminist platform just takes away from what the original was. I have no problem with whatever race they cast as long as it's a good movie... I will say though the female equivalent of Winston looks like a prison style lesbian that could whip any one of our asses. Winston was great because he was so cool, so laid back, not south loud mouth

Melissa McCarthy was kind of funny in "spy" - jason staham was better even though his part was minor. For this movie... Ecto1 looks like shit, their proton packs look retarded, the only thing that looks to be on point is the CGI representation of Slimer.

The only thing i liked about the trailer was the modernized ghostbusters theme music.

I don't get it either. Yes, it's a bit stereotypical but if the jokes were actually good it really wouldn't matter. Leslie Jones in the movie is her shtick and she's usually really funny with it. If people have a problem with Leslie Jones in Ghostbusters they REALLY should take a look at Tyler Perry.

I think the 'racism' stems from the ONLY black character being the butch, strong and angry one with no scientific education who knows the streets.

I don't think it looks too bad. I'm also not in love with the first movie as much as everyone else (although I definitely do enjoy it). If a friend wants to see it I definitely won't say no.

The Ghostbusters "Trailer Announcement" video gave me more excitement than the actual "Ghostbusters Trailer 2016". This is a "Wait for it to come out on video and rent it" type movie.

The ghosts look good, the music is good. The rest looks stupid.

I will see it if the wife wants to. The trailer definitely was not great as the comedy bits came off as a bit forced for the actresses. They didn't even look comfortable in some of scenes shown in the trailer. Still, I am willing to give the movie a chance. Besides, who am I to criticize actors when I can't act my damn self lol. I'm not that kind of modern day individual.

I liked the visuals actually, but I didn't laugh at a single line in the trailer. It just sort of meandered back and forth between "whatever" and slightly cringe-worthy. It wasn't Adam Sandler levels or anything, but when the trailer can't even get me to laugh, not a great omen.

I disagree. While the critics might not enjoy it much, it'll definitely make back its budget and then some on its opening weekend.
Its budget is 154 million, making that back opening weekend would put it in the top 10 most successful opening weekend movies. I don't suppose you want to bet on those numbers?

I would have given it a chance as a sequel, but as a reboot for some reason I don't think I will watch it. Reboots are funny in that unless there is something in it that I think was lacking in the original and fixed in the reboot then I always find it is done poorly. Now it might be unfair for me to compare the full Ghostbusters original movie to a trailer, but nothing in the trailer made me think, oh yeah that was something I thought should have been changed in the original.

So this is a reboot, not a sequel? I could not tell from the trailer.
Either way, I will watch it if it comes on Netflix, Prime, or HBOGo. In other words, if it is available on something that I am already paying for. I don't plan on paying to specifically see this title.
I saw both the originals in the theaters and still think they are great movies.

zKj3UVaDRT6OmmiYd38n_ghostbusters-3.gif

Just got a chance to watch this. It definitely does not have the feel of the originals. And didn't seem as funny. Pretty disappointed.

I can't stand Melissa McCarthy...

Have you seen Spy? Not a fan of her either, but she was freaking hilarious in that, one of the funniest movies I've seen in a while. The "Q" scene where she gets outfitted with more and more ridiculous spy gear e.g. C4 in a giant tube of haemorrhoid cream is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

The trailer for this, however, makes the rebook look like a CGI'ed vanilla cash in. Ghostbusters III: The Search for More Money. Think of the moychundizing!

The power of pain compels me to skip this.

I thought she said "The power of Patty compels you" since her character's name is Patty. If she said pain instead, that makes it an even worse line.

Have you seen Spy? Not a fan of her either, but she was freaking hilarious in that, one of the funniest movies I've seen in a while. The "Q" scene where she gets outfitted with more and more ridiculous spy gear e.g. C4 in a giant tube of haemorrhoid cream is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

The trailer for this, however, makes the rebook look like a CGI'ed vanilla cash in. Ghostbusters III: The Search for More Money. Think of the moychundizing!

Yes. Spy is brilliant. It was nice to see McCarthy move just slightly away from her usual "angry fat woman that swears all the time". There was a bit of it in the movies, but nowhere near what I expected. She had amazing chemistry with Jason Statham as well. I loved seeing Statham just completely making fun of himself and his usual movie roles.

Just save us now and cancel!
I would rather be takin over by the green slim than have to be tied down and watch this disaster.
The only reason for this movie is to prove by someone that women can remake the roles of the ghost busters.
I am sorry but the original cast was it, but even the story was ok back then at best.

I thought she said "The power of Patty compels you" since her character's name is Patty. If she said pain instead, that makes it an even worse line.

Heh, I don't know for sure and I honestly don't care to watch the trailer again to see if it was pain or patty. It would've been better if she had used the cliche line "power of Christ compels you". All of the "jokes" fall flat.

Yes, its true, this movie has no dick.

I'm in... my wife prob will be too, which is weird. The Hearse is the best part... bravo, well done. McCarthy/Wig are at the top of the female comedy world... like akroyd/murray were back in the day.

I guess I wasn't clear enough, but you seem to have answered your question in your own post. Yes, Winston was cool, laid back, not a loud mouth, not a genius but had some more common sense compared to the rest of the characters. You know what Winston wasn't? A carbon copy of Shaft. The character happened to be black, without "being black" as the defining trait of the character. This character that's supposed to be the female equivalent of Winston simply isn't. Why? Because Winston didn't spend a large portion of the movie(or the trailers) acting like a stereotypical black male.

I don't get it either. Yes, it's a bit stereotypical but if the jokes were actually good it really wouldn't matter. Leslie Jones in the movie is her shtick and she's usually really funny with it. If people have a problem with Leslie Jones in Ghostbusters they REALLY should take a look at Tyler Perry.
A bit stereotypical? The jokes aren't good. They're played out, tired, old, boring, heard them a million times. If this is that actress' entire shtick, then she's just not funny. It's the same reason I listed "funny because fat", as the fat character is pretty much doing the same thing(except as a woman) that we've seen everyone from John Candy and Chris Farley up through Kevin James do. If it's stupid when Kevin James does it, why would it be any better if a woman does it? Have the out of shape character, but give them a defining trait other than "the funny fat one".
I think the 'racism' stems from the ONLY black character being the butch, strong and angry one with no scientific education who knows the streets.
Pretty much. Why can't one of the smart people be black? Why does the only black cast member have to be a walking stereotype? I'm a black man, I don't walk around with sagging pants, a grill, blasting rap music(I'm more of a Pantera guy), swisher hanging out of my mouth, and so on. I've met plenty of black women who don't act like the "I'm a big loud strong independent woman who don't need no man and my answer for everything is to slap them". This is the equivalent of having a token gay character in a movie or TV show that happens to be a flaming queen that speaks with a lisp, as if that's the only way to have a gay character. Like I said, this is a caricature of a black woman and honestly I find it obnoxious. I suppose having her fight with a ghost in the trailer after it slimes some watermelon or fried chicken would have been just a tad too obvious?

I guess I wasn't clear enough, but you seem to have answered your question in your own post. Yes, Winston was cool, laid back, not a loud mouth, not a genius but had some more common sense compared to the rest of the characters. You know what Winston wasn't? A carbon copy of Shaft. The character happened to be black, without "being black" as the defining trait of the character. This character that's supposed to be the female equivalent of Winston simply isn't. Why? Because Winston didn't spend a large portion of the movie(or the trailers) acting like a stereotypical black male.

A bit stereotypical? The jokes aren't good. They're played out, tired, old, boring, heard them a million times. If this is that actress' entire shtick, then she's just not funny. It's the same reason I listed "funny because fat", as the fat character is pretty much doing the same thing(except as a woman) that we've seen everyone from John Candy and Chris Farley up through Kevin James do. If it's stupid when Kevin James does it, why would it be any better if a woman does it? Have the out of shape character, but give them a defining trait other than "the funny fat one".

Pretty much. Why can't one of the smart people be black? Why does the only black cast member have to be a walking stereotype? I'm a black man, I don't walk around with sagging pants, a grill, blasting rap music(I'm more of a Pantera guy), swisher hanging out of my mouth, and so on. I've met plenty of black women who don't act like the "I'm a big loud strong independent woman who don't need no man and my answer for everything is to slap them". This is the equivalent of having a token gay character in a movie or TV show that happens to be a flaming queen that speaks with a lisp, as if that's the only way to have a gay character. Like I said, this is a caricature of a black woman and honestly I find it obnoxious. I suppose having her fight with a ghost in the trailer after it slimes some watermelon or fried chicken would have been just a tad too obvious?

Leslie Jones is usually hilarious, the problem is the writing for her jokes in the trailer were crap. When she is doing stand up or when she gets good skits on SNL the stereotypical "black woman" act can work. Like every other joke in the trailer, all of her lines feel forced and cynical. There is nothing fun about any of the jokes or anyone's delivery of them. No subject or stereotype is too taboo to joke about, but it requires good writing and good delivery to do it well.

The reason the only black character isn't a scientist is because the only black character in the previous movies wasn't either. They're trying desperately (read: forced and cynically) to make the reboot like the previous movies without understanding why they worked.

Leslie Jones is usually hilarious, the problem is the writing for her jokes in the trailer were crap. When she is doing stand up or when she gets good skits on SNL the stereotypical "black woman" act can work. Like every other joke in the trailer, all of her lines feel forced and cynical. There is nothing fun about any of the jokes or anyone's delivery of them. No subject or stereotype is too taboo to joke about, but it requires good writing and good delivery to do it well.

The reason the only black character isn't a scientist is because the only black character in the previous movies wasn't either. They're trying desperately (read: forced and cynically) to make the reboot like the previous movies without understanding why they worked.

I get why they went that route(having the non-scientist character be the black one so it looks more like the original), I just think it would have been better if it was still a character that simply happened to be black rather than the character being black as the only defining trait. Again, not saying it needs to be a man, or she needs to look like a supermodel or something, but the modern version of "Mammy" is just tiresome.

I get why they went that route(having the non-scientist character be the black one so it looks more like the original), I just think it would have been better if it was still a character that simply happened to be black rather than the character being black as the only defining trait. Again, not saying it needs to be a man, or she needs to look like a supermodel or something, but the modern version of "Mammy" is just tiresome.

I agree with that. All four actresses are just doing very bad versions of their usual stuff, with no attempt to make it fit with what the old movies were. It's almost as tone-deaf as those "spoof" movies that used to be a big thing a few years ago.

Back