Ghostbusters Has Most Disliked Trailer In YouTube History

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Actually, I’m pretty confident that everyone simply thought the movie looked terrible.

The Ghostbusters trailer currently has 507,610 dislikes on YouTube. To put that in perspective, the Fantastic Four trailer from last year has only 20,175 dislikes. The Ridiculous Six trailer, which has an impressive 0% on Rotten Tomatoes, has only 5,803 dislikes. Could Ghostbusters be that much worse than either of those two movies? It’s seems unlikely knowing what we know about both Fantastic Four and Ridiculous Six. What is actually happening is that a certain subset of people on the internet have an unhealthy fixation with hating on the Ghostbusters remake and are teaming up to downvote it into oblivion.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
The comedy in the original movies was intelligent and the comedy was deadpan and understated. It was an interesting movie that also happened to be funny.

Based on the trailer, the new Ghostbusters appears to be a generic slapstick comedy meant to appeal to the lowest common denominator. That is why this movie will fail.

I saw a few lines and I was appalled at the lack of wit. I would love to get my hands on that script and see how dumbed down the director made it.

Based on the trailer, the new Ghostbusters appears to be a generic slapstick comedy meant to appeal to the lowest common denominator. That is why this movie will fail.

It may fail, but appealing to the lowest common denominator is what the entire career of Michael Bay (and many others) is based on.

And then there are those who have been angrily and, at times, violently against the Ghostbusters movie since the original announcement that it would star four women and they really did not like the new trailer.

Oh get the fuck over your selves with the social justice bullshit. You took a movie that is past it's prime. I don't mean that it was a bad movie, it was a great movie (and I have been watching it a lot lately due to my kids loving the StayPuft scene), but it came out of a different cultural era. And you have to take that into account.

Instead what we see is a reboot of a movie that could have easily been left alone to stand in the greatness it already had. And there are two possibilities for why this is being rebooted. Because "new" hollywood can't or won't come up with new IP to save their own life. OOORRRRRR, you're trying to push some social agenda on us by casting all women, 2 of which are very much not in shape for the job at hand. Based on the trailer, the black girl plays into stereotypical black references. The humor looks like it's practically handed to the viewer, maybe they will have a laugh track so I don't have to think about it.

But go ahead, blame it on my white privileged intolerance for not liking your movie. Maybe I'll watch after I get done slapping my wife, spitting on the mexican maid and voting for Donald Trump.

EDIT: Oh and screw you for trying to remake the few things Rick Moranis and Annie Potts did.

They knew it was horrible. As such, they cast women so when people hated it, they could just call it misogyny instead of having to face the music for the steaming pile of crap they tried to peddle.

There is a lot of hatred directed towards the new trailer, primarily because it stars four women (though the haters would have you believe misogyny is not the real driving force behind their invective) and seemingly not at all connected to its quality.

I will be so glad when the age of the SJW is over. The trailer is bad. If you replaced the women with men, it would still be bad.

There is a lot of hatred directed towards the new trailer, primarily because it stars four women (though the haters would have you believe misogyny is not the real driving force behind their invective) and seemingly not at all connected to its quality.

I will be so glad when the age of the SJW is over. The trailer is bad. If you replaced the women with men, it would still be bad.

At this point we should just be glad it wasn't all four roles played by Adam Sandler......and still female roles......

Jack-and-Jill-soundtrack.jpg

I thank you for Punch Drunk Love, Adam, but stop it!

Well, I didn't read the entire article, but I went back and reread it. The article is truly about woman hating.

As the inclusion of “Let It Go” might indicate, the majority of the list is filled with songs that were popular but quickly became annoying. Justin Bieber, for example, has 11 of the most disliked videos. But a more telling statistic is that the majority of the videos on the list (59%) star or feature women or female characters. In addition to the Ghostbusters trailer, there’s Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Nicki Minaj, Madonna, and even Adele. Who hates Adele?!

I don't know much about Adele (she does have a good voice, but I just don't listen to her), but other girls are known for being attention junkies and being auto-tuned. Taylor Swift is definently not on the same level as the others, but she does get lumped into that group by those that don't listen to her. Yes Madonna was a respectable singer at one point in time....I checked, my 80's and 90's playlists have 11 Madonna songs in them, so I get her. But she changed. She has one song in that list of "most downvoted videos". It's called "Bitch I'm Madonna ft. Nicki Minaj". Unbelievable. It's not because your a women, it's because your narcissistic asshole. Meanwhile "Crazy For You" has 5 million views, 26K Thumbs Up and 700 Thumbs Down. We reward you for trying.

Now wait a second here Snowdog, I see you're pointing out Hollywood projects done that cater to the "lowest common denominator". Now "lowest common denominator" can take a lot of different forms. In terms of lowest common denominator for action and explosive then Michael Bay is indeed right up there. But this isn't an action movie, it's a paranormal/pseudo sci-fi comedy. Now are we looking at Ghostbusters as a movie that caters to the lowest common denominator involving a. the overall I.Q. of the audience? Or b. the morals and ethics that the audience keeps within their behavioral system? I could say more but before I give my take I need clarification. Thanks. Out!

LOL, I forgot to down vote it as well. I am not sure what they were thinking with this. A reboot might have worked if they had a decent script, a different director, and were not so dead set on making it an all woman cast. This will prolly air in theaters, but not for long. It has the feel of a straight to TV movie.

Most of the dislikes are probably because the movie looks painfully unfunny, not because it has a female cast.

Last edited:
The 'jokes' presented in the trailer are little better than fart jokes and three stooges style humour. They have their place, however, the comedy in the original movie was dark, deadpan and mostly understated (intelligent humour for the most part).

This isn't a tribute, its a poor excuse for a remake in the same vein as the Ninja Turtles.

Well, I didn't read the entire article, but I went back and reread it. The article is truly about woman hating.

I don't know much about Adele (she does have a good voice, but I just don't listen to her), but other girls are known for being attention junkies and being auto-tuned. Taylor Swift is definently not on the same level as the others, but she does get lumped into that group by those that don't listen to her. Yes Madonna was a respectable singer at one point in time....I checked, my 80's and 90's playlists have 11 Madonna songs in them, so I get her. But she changed. She has one song in that list of "most downvoted videos". It's called "Bitch I'm Madonna ft. Nicki Minaj". Unbelievable. It's not because your a women, it's because your narcissistic asshole. Meanwhile "Crazy For You" has 5 million views, 26K Thumbs Up and 700 Thumbs Down. We reward you for trying.

I don't like Adele. I don't like the subject of many of her songs, nor do I care much for her voice. IMO her only good song is Set Fire to the Rain. Always have to change the radio channel when Adele comes on.

But yes, I saw the trailer, and it was horrible. The worse part was the actresses trying to justify their source of humor, saying that it's not pandering to stereotypes or anything like that at all. I mean, seriously?

the jokes were terrible and the ghosts looked worse than in the original movie, don't have high hopes for the film.

I don't like Adele. I don't like the subject of many of her songs, nor do I care much for her voice. IMO her only good song is Set Fire to the Rain. Always have to change the radio channel when Adele comes on.

Well in relation to her peers, she's not that bad. I've only heard a couple songs by her and she has that low deep voice like Diana Krall that I'm not into (though Diana is a looker!).

TOP 10 ALBUMS OF 2015 IN U.S., BY TOTAL EQUIVALENT ALBUM UNITS

Rank___ Artist____________Title____Total Units
1_______Adele____________25______________________________8,008,000
2_______Taylor Swift_______1989____________________________3,105,000
3_______Justin Bieber______Purpose_________________________2,225,000
4_______Ed Sheeran_______X______________________________2,206,000
5_______The Weeknd______Beauty Behind the Madness_________2,045,000
6_______Drake___________ If You're Reading This It's Too Late___1,919,000
7_______Meghan Trainor___Title_____________________________1,795,000
8_______Sam Smith_______In the Lonely Hour_________________1,741,000
9_______Sam Hunt_______Montevallo________________________1,378,000
10______Fetty Wap_______Fetty Wap________________________1,295,000

Well in relation to her peers, she's not that bad. I've only heard a couple songs by her and she has that low deep voice like Diana Krall that I'm not into (though Diana is a looker!).

TOP 10 ALBUMS OF 2015 IN U.S., BY TOTAL EQUIVALENT ALBUM UNITS

Rank___ Artist____________Title____Total Units
1_______Adele____________25______________________________8,008,000
2_______Taylor Swift_______1989____________________________3,105,000
3_______Justin Bieber______Purpose_________________________2,225,000
4_______Ed Sheeran_______X______________________________2,206,000
5_______The Weeknd______Beauty Behind the Madness_________2,045,000
6_______Drake___________ If You're Reading This It's Too Late___1,919,000
7_______Meghan Trainor___Title_____________________________1,795,000
8_______Sam Smith_______In the Lonely Hour_________________1,741,000
9_______Sam Hunt_______Montevallo________________________1,378,000
10______Fetty Wap_______Fetty Wap________________________1,295,000
didn't think tay tay was that low relatively speaking... for a while they be shoving the damn thing every 5 minutes in the radio.

on topic the movie looks funny, i think the problem is that seemingly it pays no attention to the original.. it's not like the actors are dead or not all of them at least for sure.

I actually like Adele now and then, she has a good voice and a sense of humor.

Not sure it really has much to do with the movie really.

Taylor Swift has the pop goddess thing thing finely honed to an art form at this point in her young life also.

They both obviously know what they are doing in the music biz.

I even used to like Amy Winehouse a lot, she always did have a great voice, but went down the Janis Joplin route.

Last edited:
I wonder why it keeps getting downvoted. They turned Ghostbusters into a feminist chick flick for the sake of political correctness. I don't want anything to do with that blatant rip off of a good series.
Not the first time it was done to Ghostbusters, and it was done worse. Remember Extreme Ghostbusters? The show actually wasn't bad, but it didn't live up to Real Ghosbusters.

ghost_art.gif

Most of the dislikes are probably because the movie looks painfully unfunny, not because it has a female cast.

And it has a female cast for a lay reason. They basically said "Hey, what if we redid Ghostbusters but gender swapped the stars! That would be great!" That is such a lazy idea so no wonder it is a lazy production. It wasn't like they came up with a good script, good story and cast women leads because they would do well with it. They decided on a gimmick and shat out something to try and make a quick buck. If the main selling point of you movie is the gender of the main characters, you probably have a shit movie. Good movies sell themselves on story, atmosphere, effects, cinematography, and so on not on gender. When a superficial gimmick is the selling point, the film is almost always garbage. Jack and Jill is a great example. The whole selling point is "Look, Adam Sandler is pretending to be a woman, isn't that funny?" Well no, it turns out the movie is total garbage because that gimmick is literally all it had.

on topic the movie looks funny

Not sure it really has much to do with the movie really.

The article itself is a hit piece on society not giving female artists the recognition they always deserve. It specifically mentions Adele, among other others.

So it's still on topic :)

This particular thread only covered one aspect of the article which was this slimered of a movie.

It looked like a bunch of female comedians with possible some trailing contract obligations just calling it into some exec who were doing acid at the time on a private yacht who just said "why not" to me.

Who am I to question these things.

I still won't pay to watch that resulting mess.

The article itself is a hit piece on society not giving female artists the recognition they always deserve. It specifically mentions Adele, among other others.

So it's still on topic :)

This particular thread only covered one aspect of the article which was this slimered of a movie.

Sorry, I won't argue over that one.

Maybe I missed something, I'd personally love to have Adele's pay check these days.

:)

Well that was horrible, on the bright side I now want to go watch ghostbusters again :)

also maybe drink copious amounts of alcohol, and hope I forget I ever watched that.

Unlike most of the pop princess club, Adele is actually extremely talented IMO, and her Live stuff is even better. Live from Soho is awesome, none of this lip sync, auto tuned crap, just raw live vocal talent. Though this type of music isn't for everyone so it will get downvotes like everything does.

This is where context is important. Adele is in the top 100 hated list, but she has well over a Billion views on that video, and ~10 Million Likes vs 500K dislikes.

Ghostbuster OTOH has 600K dislikes vs 200K likes on 26 Million views.

If it were 4 women but the movie was insanely funny and well written, we'd be cool. It just looks like really bad comedy cake with political correctness frosting on top.

You get Joss Whedon to write, cast Tina Fey, Amy Schumer, Amy Pohler, etc - you could make an awesome movie which everyone would love, and not really think of it constantly as a "hey, empowered women" thing. It would just be GOOD.

Ugh is this another movie where Melissa McCarthy craps into a sink or lifts her leg and farts..

Oh get the fuck over your selves with the social justice bullshit. You took a movie that is past it's prime. I don't mean that it was a bad movie, it was a great movie (and I have been watching it a lot lately due to my kids loving the StayPuft scene), but it came out of a different cultural era. And you have to take that into account.

Instead what we see is a reboot of a movie that could have easily been left alone to stand in the greatness it already had. And there are two possibilities for why this is being rebooted. Because "new" hollywood can't or won't come up with new IP to save their own life. OOORRRRRR, you're trying to push some social agenda on us by casting all women, 2 of which are very much not in shape for the job at hand. Based on the trailer, the black girl plays into stereotypical black references. The humor looks like it's practically handed to the viewer, maybe they will have a laugh track so I don't have to think about it.

But go ahead, blame it on my white privileged intolerance for not liking your movie. Maybe I'll watch after I get done slapping my wife, spitting on the mexican maid and voting for Donald Trump.

EDIT: Oh and screw you for trying to remake the few things Rick Moranis and Annie Potts did.

How about you go fuck yourself. The only thing worse than "social justice" are the asshats such as you that jump right to bitching about people using strawmen or being SJW for any argument. You and your kind are no better than the people that you are getting your panties in a bunch over.

What he said is true. There were people that as soon as they heard it was going to star 4 women said right away the movie was going to fail. It has nothing to do with social justice or any other damn idiotic term you want to toss out there. It has to do with either people not finding all female lead comedies as funny as all male lead comedies, or it has to do with people not liking what they know to be changed that drastically vs say having a female or two tossed into the group and have it be co-ed, or it has to do with them just being sexist or many other reasons. There is no single reason, and it doesn't mater there is no single reason as that doesn't change the fact that some people were saying they had a bad feeling or didn't like the idea of an all female cast from the start. I know of one personality that had that feeling for awhile and when they saw the trailer and how people reacted they were happy as it proved them right as everyone kept saying to give it a chance to see how it would go. And that person wasn't being sexist, they didn't didn't feel that you could pull off the same level of comedy with an all female cast and also that it was a huge change to the story he grew up with and loved.

I actually like Melissa McCarthy. She can do the raunchy stuff, such as The Heat, but can also manage to be funny on regular TV, such as Mike and Molly. I remember hearing about this movie, and thinking it sounded weird, but resolving to keep an open mind until watching the trailer. As much as I wanted to like it, the trailer looked horrible. Especially since they made it a remake instead of a sequel with a couple cameos. It's not like all the original guys are dead. You probably can't afford Murray these days, but Aykroyd has pretty low standards (Blues Brothers 2000, anyone?)

I wonder why it keeps getting downvoted. They turned Ghostbusters into a feminist chick flick for the sake of political correctness. I don't want anything to do with that blatant rip off of a good series.

HURRR DURR CAUSE GIVING WOMEN ROLES IN MOVIES IS BAAAAAAAD. SAUSAGE PARTAAAYYY ALLL THE TIIIIIMME, right, Bro?

Just because you do a gender swap type of film doesn't mean it's all about political correctness. It can just be for the sake of trying something new with different dynamics and actors.

In this case, it suffers due to a badly written script.

"Blatant rip off"... you do realise the original creators gave their blessings and some have cameo roles?

Ah, but... vagina = political correctness.

You must also think Trump is the most well spoken man of your generation...

Kinda funny, I was at the movies the other night and a guy with his 6 (or so) daughter had this combo when she saw a giant Ghostbuster's cardboard ad.

Girl: "I want to see that ..."
Dad: "why? It's not going to be any good."
Girl: "Why not?"
Dad: "Because the internet said it sucks."

I laughed.

HURRR DURR CAUSE GIVING WOMEN ROLES IN MOVIES IS BAAAAAAAD. SAUSAGE PARTAAAYYY ALLL THE TIIIIIMME, right, Bro?

Just because you do a gender swap type of film doesn't mean it's all about political correctness. It can just be for the sake of trying something new with different dynamics and actors.

"Blatant rip off"... you do realise the original creators gave their blessings and some have cameo roles?

Thing is, it was literally a gender swap. The characters are copies of the originals just with different genders. You have three white scientists and 1 black regular Joe/Jill who have a nerdy receptionist.

It would have been far better if they just did a " 30 years later " film with a mixed cast that had their own characters. Not a reboot that only references the prior films because they were forced to in an attempt to salvage it. I'm all for female led comedies (I liked Bridesmaids), just not when they're poorly done.

Ummm....No. A singular creator is involved and not even the one that originally came up with the idea. Harold Ramis originally came up with the idea for Ghostbusters and wrote it with Aykroyd. Ramis, being dead, is not in the movie nor do I recall him ever publicly speaking about it. Aykroyd is in the movie, but he's not exactly picky in the quality of roles he picks these days. Bill Murray was an actor in the movie and came up with some of his ow lines, but he wasn't a creator. He wasn't even close to their first choice for the role.

It's a cynical cash in that in no way appears to retain the spirit of the original and everything about it seems designed to try to appeal to people who wouldn't watch Ghostbusters in the first place. The movie was clearly designed to be "Ghostbusters but with women". That is why Sony hired Paul Feig to direct it. It may not be "political correctness" or whatever but it was clearly not a case of them just happening to cast women in the roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back