GHOST S1 - When both size & performance matters

hi ! everyone
I've made my modification of a Noctua NH-L12S rad to make it compatible with the Ghost S1

Impressive! I'd have thought there'd be a much more significant temperature difference, but that's practically nothing. (y)

Great job! A video of the process would be welcome.
thanks
Yes i know it would have been great to get a video but I didn't make one.
this is a simple sanding machine like this http://s1.lmcdn.fr/multimedia/76140...e-filaire-aeg-powertools-bbse-1100-1100-w.jpg

Impressive! I'd have thought there'd be a much more significant temperature difference, but that's practically nothing. (y)
me too, i was really surprised, but i've taken a lot of caution to make an accurate result so i'm pretty confident in what I conclude.

the thickness of the stock Rad is about 23mm and i removed 4mm, that's about -17% of the total heat exchange surface (without considering heatpipes surface etc...). My i7 is overclocked but with a low (not high) voltage (1.25V) so it must be around 90W under maximum load (I think).

In my actual testing once modded, the fan is near silent, even with CPU under full load. Keep in mind that it's tested on a short time (<10min), in on an open case, but once it will be kept longer on high loads in a reduce volume with less ventilation things may be different, the fan will have more difficulties to push air through the fins with the wall of the case.

However 100% full load bench is not representative of a classical gaming usage (may be average 50-75% depending the game, the resolution, the fps...). The most difficult situation will be for people working all day long on intensive tasks such as video editing or else.

We should test a 1950x threadripper at full load just to see the noctua cry ! ;)

MichtoK2 that looks amazing. The fam clips look like the would stick out past what you shaved off amd hit the side panel. Is it the angle or are they taller than the modded heatsink?

Why is it that we decided to move to that sh!tshow that is the new Ghost S1 website for updates? Scroll for days...no structure...it just stresses me out to go to that chatroom of a website.

Is that why there have been no updates? I checked out of this thread for a while and was surprised to come back and see.... nothing happening. I remember getting an email about joining Slack (f that) but I didn't know they were going to exclusively go there. That's kind of lame.

hi ! everyone
I've made my modification of a Noctua NH-L12S rad to make it compatible with the Ghost S1
I wanted to share the results with you.
I removed -4mm to go from 70mm->66mm
The modification has been done manually with a "belt sander" hand machine (french, not sure about the right word)
previously i thought doing this with a machine tool but i was not difficult as aluminium is "soft" and with caution nnot to destroy everything
Thanks to this I will be able to get it inside the ghost S1, with a 12cm fan not "stuck" to the wall of the case (better for noise).
my test was done with an open case, so for sure temps will be higher in the real ghost s1

The result is : about NO DIFFERENCE after modification (1°C), same fan speed
I'm surprise by the result but i've try to make the best test possible (stability test 1 loop 16 threads i7 6700k @[email protected])
here is the mesurement :

the pictures of mod :

if you want to see all my pictures they are her :
https://forum.hardware.fr/forum2.ph...reponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0#t10331542

I hope it can give some ideas
bye ! ;)
see now this is what [H] is about. wont work, need it to work, make it work!

MichtoK2 that looks amazing. The fam clips look like the would stick out past what you shaved off amd hit the side panel. Is it the angle or are they taller than the modded heatsink?

Why is it that we decided to move to that sh!tshow that is the new Ghost S1 website for updates? Scroll for days...no structure...it just stresses me out to go to that chatroom of a website.

it's not a shitshow if you join and pay attention to just the update channels

I originally planned on going with an air cooled build but I think I'm going to switch to using a Celsius S24. Anyone want to purchase an NH-L12 (not L12S) BNIB send me a PM.

Edit: sold

Last edited:
I'm not sure to understand your sentence !
the metal clip that retain the fan is taller than the heatsink once modded, I have to bend it not to touch the side panel.

I'm not sure to understand your sentence !
the metal clip that retain the fan is taller than the heatsink once modded, I have to bend it not to touch the side panel.

That was it, the fan clip looked taller and I was just asking if it was indeed taller.

zacobin it is...specially if you don't log in every day. The conversations get out of topic and there is just too much useless info going on in there. But hey, that's my opinion and I respect yours.

it is...specially if you don't log in every day. The conversations get out of topic and there is just too much useless info going on in there. But hey, that's my opinion and I respect yours.

Do you know about the sub-channels on slack?

join #ghost_announcements and all you will see are ghost update posts by mio, patrik, and gwertheim. Yes, it's safe to have your own opinion but it also seems apparent that you are not putting any effort into using slack in a useful manner. It's not [h], but only [h] is [h].

join #ghost_psu if you want discussion only on the custom psu they are working towards

join #ghost_cables if you want discussion only on the custom cables they are working towards

Honestly keeping all of your updates on slack is a terrible idea, they should be spreading information about their project everywhere and not just limiting it to their current customers.
Surely they wish to continue to receive orders from customers and continue to build interest. I forget at times I even has this ordered.
Cool stuff like more photos of the current prototype pieces would be awesome.

Honestly keeping all of your updates on slack is a terrible idea, they should be spreading information about their project everywhere and not just limiting it to their current customers.
Surely they wish to continue to receive orders from customers and continue to build interest. I forget at times I even has this ordered.
Cool stuff like more photos of the current prototype pieces would be awesome.
Yeah I don't know what the hell they were thinking, but I guess they don't need the money from new potential buyers?
I backed the case as well(twice actually), but not getting any news about the case because they decided to make it a closed environment kind of suck.

Do you know about the sub-channels on slack?

join #ghost_announcements and all you will see are ghost update posts by mio, patrik, and gwertheim. Yes, it's safe to have your own opinion but it also seems apparent that you are not putting any effort into using slack in a useful manner. It's not [h], but only [h] is [h].

join #ghost_psu if you want discussion only on the custom psu they are working towards

join #ghost_cables if you want discussion only on the custom cables they are working towards

I joined em but honestly, I don't want to learn a new format to follow what was originally not started on slack. I will not use it for anything else.

Hey guys I'm still sporting the 980ti. I am thinking of upgrading to the 1080ti but rumors are they have stopped production. Should I just wait for the next gen or what? I'm not paying these inflated MSRP prices. I will pay for a Titan Xp if it comes in stock but not sure what to do now. Thanks

The slack site is pretty awful. You can't even access some older posts without having to pay money. And the format of having chat rooms for so much information is just really bad in general. It's a nightmare to navigate and keep track of all these different channels and digging through meaningless chat posts when looking for valuable info.

They should have just made a small forum on their domain. Or at the very least, make a Reddit page, that way you don't lose old content to a paywall.

Hey guys I'm still sporting the 980ti. I am thinking of upgrading to the 1080ti but rumors are they have stopped production. Should I just wait for the next gen or what? I'm not paying these inflated MSRP prices. I will pay for a Titan Xp if it comes in stock but not sure what to do now. Thanks

I would keep the 980 TI as it is still a very solid gpu especially when overclocked. GPU prices are way inflated and unless you are maxing graphics at 1440P and above, 980 TI should be more than enough for a good year or two.

Honestly, there have been a lot of stupid rumors circulating and I feel like Nvidia is not going to release a new card any time soon. They will most likely focus a lot on the machine learning gpus and make mining focused cards and get good media PR for doing this. AMD is pretty much confirmed to not release any new GPU for this year, so Nvidia can honestly ride the wave and maximize their profits.

I would keep the 980 TI as it is still a very solid gpu especially when overclocked. GPU prices are way inflated and unless you are maxing graphics at 1440P and above, 980 TI should be more than enough for a good year or two.

Honestly, there have been a lot of stupid rumors circulating and I feel like Nvidia is not going to release a new card any time soon. They will most likely focus a lot on the machine learning gpus and make mining focused cards and get good media PR for doing this. AMD is pretty much confirmed to not release any new GPU for this year, so Nvidia can honestly ride the wave and maximize their profits.

So if Nvidia is supposedly not gonna come out with a new GPU soon, how can you explain the stoppage of manufacturing the 10 series? If that's the case it's basically 2nd hand stock and that's it! I haven't seen even the Titan Xp in stock and it was a couple of days ago. This is a very strange time. I may just hang on to 1080p gaming. I really don't want to go back to console :((

Honestly, there have been a lot of stupid rumors circulating and I feel like Nvidia is not going to release a new card any time soon. They will most likely focus a lot on the machine learning gpus and make mining focused cards and get good media PR for doing this.

Those rumors are incorrect.

Titan V is a prestige release and opportunistic due to Volta yields. My bet is that their next gaming cards don't sport AI-specific hardware. Nvidia will save their Tensor Cores for the automotive and HPC chip lines.

Those rumors are incorrect.

Titan V is a prestige release and opportunistic due to Volta yields. My bet is that their next gaming cards don't sport AI-specific hardware. Nvidia will save their Tensor Cores for the automotive and HPC chip lines.

Overall, this year is just uneventful for PC builders. I think many are going to have to wait until 2019 to build.

Amd releases Ryzen 2 soon weeks away and later this year i think Intels new Cpu are comes but on Gpu i think its few news
Yeah, cpu market is really competitive. Intel is maybe end of this year, with probably another CoffeeLake refresh if..their 10nm yield slightly less performance due to immature, 1st gen 10nm architecture.
I am personally waiting until 2019 anyway since that is when AMD Zen 2 should come out, which should be the cpu performance and jump that people wanted from Ryzen 1.

As for GPU and RAM prices...they are just way too high.

Yeah, cpu market is really competitive. Intel is maybe end of this year, with probably another CoffeeLake refresh if..their 10nm yield slightly less performance due to immature, 1st gen 10nm architecture.
I am personally waiting until 2019 anyway since that is when AMD Zen 2 should come out, which should be the cpu performance and jump that people wanted from Ryzen 1.

As for GPU and RAM prices...they are just way too high.

Gpu prices are Skyhigh because of Bitcoin value.

Big companies and private people buyed all cards and begin to mining, Nvidia and Amd miss that big demand.

Very happy that i got mine 1080 Strix before this price increase.

I'm waiting for my pizza to arrive so I can watch this. I thought I'd post it here in the meantime. Pretty excited to see the build!

So Jay said he couldn't get the S24 to fit?! That's the preferred AIO for this case with large top hat... what the deuce!? I thankfully haven't bought one yet.

Does anyone know what's going on with the cooler noctua is making for this case? Is it just a Noctua NH-L12, or is it a better version? Will it be ready for launch?

Not sure what Jay was on about with the PSU? There are at least two alternative SFX PSU's with 600W or higher rating, having the same physical dimensions (AFAIK).

I hope the S24 actually does fit, but just requires some "love" to brute force the hoses in place? :cool:

He did mention that he had his 1800x overclocked. That might be pulling more power than what the whole system with the Ti could handle.

Those gaps between the case and the top hat... That's some QC...

I know I like it. Such a cool design. Looks exactly like their pictures with a little gap between the top hat and the main unit. I think i'm going to put a small top hat at the bottom and a big one at the top.

Last edited:
Not sure what Jay was on about with the PSU? There are at least two alternative SFX PSU's with 600W or higher rating, having the same physical dimensions (AFAIK).

I hope the S24 actually does fit, but just requires some "love" to brute force the hoses in place? :cool:

He did mention that he had his 1800x overclocked. That might be pulling more power than what the whole system with the Ti could handle.

At about 6:18 in the video, Jay states that the Ti was drawing too much power from the PSU, so he changed to the non-Ti 1080...

At about 6:18 in the video, Jay states that the Ti was drawing too much power from the PSU, so he changed to the non-Ti 1080...

Correct, my suggestion was that with the original configuration of the 500 or 550w psu, the overclocked 1800x and the 1080 ti the cpu was drawing more that power than what he had accounted for making it to where the ti was being left without enough juice. Just a theory.

On another note Pachalski I'm selling my house at the end of the month. How do I change my shipping address for my pledge?

I thought a fix was in place to allow the taller EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 triple-fan models to fit without any mods to the GPU or need for any TopHats...?

Do we know if that "fix" is implented in the case?
the GPU compatibility list is still not updated and still requires to remove the RGB portion of the RGB bracket on top of the EVGA 1080 ti FTW3 cards.

I registered my account on Slack a while ago when they sent out e-mails to backers but I haven't really been back to that mess of a site since then.

Any idea when we will get to choose our options for top hats, colours, etc. since "estimated delivery is in April"?

Thanks.

Last update is regards to the ETA was 8th Feb.

There is a new poll on the slacks.

Theres a new Poll up in #ghost_polls following on a discussion in #ghost_tophats about increasing the Medium Tophat size from 27mm to 30mm to allow for the use of 120mm Radiators. We'd appreciate any feedback on the topic in #ghost_tophats and stick a vote in! Thanks!

Thanks.

How many people are really on the slack channel? I'm a little concerned design choices are being voted on after the fact with a very limited audience. I don't want to turn this thread into a bitch-fest, but am I alone in thinking it's sort of crappy to fund your kickstarter, retreat away to a more closed invite-only communication platform, and then use that very limited audience to bounce ideas off for design changes? Let alone to limiting updates to that platform as well, at a minimum there should be kickstarter updates. The last KS update was completion of funding in December (!).

Pachalski was very active here and elsewhere during fundraising. Many of you on this subforum in particular were very helpful and supportive in getting this project off the ground, especially considering it failed its first funding round. I understand why updating multiple media platforms can be time consuming but going from super active to zero activity is a little irksome. I mean even just popping in once a month one one place outside slack for an update would be welcome. It may be unintentional but the message is "thanks for funding us, now we don't need to talk to you anymore."

Back