GHOST S1 - When both size & performance matters

I just assumed since they wouldn't change tooling for the L12 it had to stay metal. But if what you say could happen that would be even better!
Sorry for the lack of clarity, the LOUQE special edition L12 will not be made out of graphene, this project is months away.

We have asked them for the following:

• Investigate possibility to add dark nickel-plating to the heat sink
• Investigate Redux fan alternative, suitable for pull? How does it affect performance? Is SSO2 bearing an option? If so “this would be amazing”
• Custom color fan, changing the dye in the polymer?
• TopHat and bottom fan bundles alternatives

Updates!!! Installed the nh-l12 on my 6850k/x99e-itx. Ready for the Ghost S1

https://imgur.com/a/FdXkE
FdXkE

Can you post some temps if you get the chance? Hopefully with the normal under fan and the one you're trying out but even just the current configuration would be cool.

Edit: just saw your Reddit post also, will you be updating there, here, or both?

Last edited:
Sorry for the lack of clarity, the LOUQE special edition L12 will not be made out of graphene, this project is months away.

We have asked them for the following:

• Investigate possibility to add dark nickel-plating to the heat sink
• Investigate Redux fan alternative, suitable for pull? How does it affect performance? Is SSO2 bearing an option? If so “this would be amazing”
• Custom color fan, changing the dye in the polymer?
• TopHat and bottom fan bundles alternatives

Do you expect there to be significant, if any, performance improvements on the special edition L12 vs the old one?

Can you post some temps if you get the chance? Hopefully with the normal under fan and the one you're trying out but even just the current configuration would be cool.

Edit: just saw your Reddit post also, will you be updating there, here, or both?

If I get to it I also need to get a gpu. Sold my gtx 1080 FTW DT for $470 right before the prices went crazy.

Do you expect there to be significant, if any, performance improvements on the special edition L12 vs the old one?

I would think not. If anything, the inclusion of the l12s fins (flush fit for a 120mm fan) vs the l12 (slight indentation for a 92mm fan) might prove to be slightly better. The main difference lies in the heatpipes that are taller.

Awesome man!
Cant wait for this case to be release + that custom reservoir!

You will also need the custom DDC pump bracket & the custom terminal for the GPU water block...

And keep in mind the side panels & top panel on this custom loop build, all those are custom as well...

Hello, I'm à french backer for this fantastic case !

I plan to use à Noctua NH-L12S in this case. it is 70mm height so i will reduce it with an electric wire cutting machine (very precise, no damages)

My question is : what CPU heatsink height does the case accept ? in the specs I see 66mm CPU heatsink but when I look to the CPU heatsink test PDF ( http://louqe.com/img/img/ext/ext/GhostCPUheatSinkTest.pdf ) it seems that clearance is 68mm, not 66mm.
Could you explain ?

Initially i wanted to remove 4mm to the 70mm Noctua cooler but I would like to know if I could remove less or not ?

I've made benchmarks with the Noctua NH-L12S and I will compare after modifications the "loss of dissipating power" (I'm french so my English may contain mistakes !)
I will publish the results once done.

captur12.png

thanks and congratulations for you work !

You will also need the custom DDC pump bracket & the custom terminal for the GPU water block...

And keep in mind the side panels & top panel on this custom loop build, all those are custom as well...

Well you could just use a pomp/block combo instead of the custom pump bracket, and didnt know you needed a custom terminal for GPU..
rest is fine by me

Hello, I'm à french backer for this fantastic case !

I plan to use à Noctua NH-L12S in this case. it is 70mm height so i will reduce it with an electric wire cutting machine (very precise, no damages)

My question is : what CPU heatsink height does the case accept ? in the specs I see 66mm CPU heatsink but when I look to the CPU heatsink test PDF ( http://louqe.com/img/img/ext/ext/GhostCPUheatSinkTest.pdf ) it seems that clearance is 68mm, not 66mm.
Could you explain ?

Initially i wanted to remove 4mm to the 70mm Noctua cooler but I would like to know if I could remove less or not ?

I've made benchmarks with the Noctua NH-L12S and I will compare after modifications the "loss of dissipating power" (I'm french so my English may contain mistakes !)
I will publish the results once done.

thanks and congratulations for you work !
why would you want to do that when you can just buy the l12 that will be sold by louqe?

why would you want to do that when you can just buy the l12 that will be sold by louqe?

The "old" standard Noctua L12 has only a 90mm fan under whereas the L12S has a slim 120mm fan which I think is far better.
RPM dB/A m³/h mm H2O
NF-A9 PWM 92x92x25 2000 22,8 78,9 2,28 4-pin PWM
NF-A9 FLX 92x92x25 1600 17,1 64,6 1,62 3-pin
NF-A12x15 PWM 120x120x15 1850 23,9 94,2 1,53 4-pin PWM

For the same airflow 120mm fan will be better, less noise for sure. Static pressure is not a problem with such rads.
Moreover the 120mm will blow air on all the surface of the rad, not the 90mm fan, so I'm pretty sure that 120mm fan is far better.

Last edited:
Another alternative is to get some VLP memory from Innodisk, this way even a full size 120mm fan will fit under the l12. https://www.innodisk.com/en/products/dram-module/embedded/Embedded_VLP_DDR4_LONG_DIMM
If a slim 120mm fan meets your noise & cooling requirements, I would simply remove heat spreaders from standard ram.
Noctua NH-L12S slim fan is fitting perfect with standard Corsair LP RAM moduls
https://i.imgur.com/FvaYNCk.jpg
http://www.corsair.com/~/media/corsair/product photos/dram/vengeance-lp/black/large/veng_lp_k_x2b.png

are you sure you would be able to fit a full size 25mm 120 fan ? would not it touch the screw springs retention system ?
http://techx1.thessdreview1.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/DSC03629_Fotor.png

The "old" standard Noctua L12 has only a 90mm fan under whereas the L12S has a slim 120mm fan which I think is far better.
RPM dB/A m³/h mm H2O
NF-A9 PWM 92x92x25 2000 22,8 78,9 2,28 4-pin PWM
NF-A9 FLX 92x92x25 1600 17,1 64,6 1,62 3-pin
NF-A12x15 PWM 120x120x15 1850 23,9 94,2 1,53 4-pin PWM

For the same airflow 120mm fan will be better, less noise for sure. Static pressure is not a problem with such rads.
Moreover the 120mm will blow air on all the surface of the rad, not the 90mm fan, so I'm pretty sure that 120mm fan is far better.
ok but by cutting off all those fins you are going to reduce the cooling potential of the cooler as the surface area get reduced

ok but by cutting off all those fins you are going to reduce the cooling potential of the cooler as the surface area get reduced
yes i know, that's why I've made benchmark before in order to evaluate the performance decrease after mod.

Can anyone answer ? is the heatsink height limit 66mm (specs on louque website) or 68mm (from heatsink test PDF) ?

yes i know, that's why I've made benchmark before in order to evaluate the performance decrease after mod.

Can anyone answer ? is the heatsink height limit 66mm (specs on louque website) or 68mm (from heatsink test PDF) ?

Only people with access to the case can give you that answer. Pachalski might be able to give you am aswer.

Are you guys still on track to mass produce this month?

Thanks.
Message from their slacks in regards to production. :(

Some production updates, everything has been sourced and is ready for production apart from the 4 aluminum sides, the aluminum button cover and the grill. These components are the tricky ones. To ensure quality and maintained competition we have had many supplier candidates involved in the process of these final components. 6 have been disqualified and the two very best are now in competition to become our preferred or back-up partner. This means we have made 2 sets of tools in two different factories. Naturally, this is a more expensive and a more time-consuming route in the short run. In the long run this is critical. Flextronics have shown interest in jumping on this sourcing process and we are debating if it is a good fit and if it is worth the delay of the process.

We expect to have the first samples in March from both factories. After approval and final supplier selection, we will let KS backers choose their colors and TopHas Sizes. We see now that many slackers are requesting color ond/or TopHats changes which is an added overhead load for us that is not great. So, we would prefer to give you some more time to really make up your minds before you choose and possibly give you a better picture of everything.

Can the screw bracket in the sides be lowered a bit so the case can accommodate the EVGA 1080ti Kingpin.
In JayzTwocent video he tried to use the Kingpin tho the cooler hits the screw thingy a tiny bit so it wouldn't fit :)

Can the screw bracket in the sides be lowered a bit so the case can accommodate the EVGA 1080ti Kingpin.
In JayzTwocent video he tried to use the Kingpin tho the cooler hits the screw thingy a tiny bit so it wouldn't fit :)

According to their GPU list it will fit, you will need to remove the rgb portion http://www.louqe.com/files/gpu_compatability_ghost_s1_MkII.pdf

I thought a fix was in place to allow the taller EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 triple-fan models to fit without any mods to the GPU or need for any TopHats...?

thats just meh, wont remove the RGB portion of the card :(
What if i use a tophat will it then fit?

Sebbie: If the Kingpin hast the same size like FTW3 model, you don´t have to modify anything. The cart will just fit perfect ;).

hi ! everyone
I've made my modification of a Noctua NH-L12S rad to make it compatible with the Ghost S1
I wanted to share the results with you.
I removed -4mm to go from 70mm->66mm
The modification has been done manually with a "belt sander" hand machine (french, not sure about the right word)
previously i thought doing this with a machine tool but i was not difficult as aluminium is "soft" and with caution nnot to destroy everything
Thanks to this I will be able to get it inside the ghost S1, with a 12cm fan not "stuck" to the wall of the case (better for noise).
my test was done with an open case, so for sure temps will be higher in the real ghost s1

The result is : about NO DIFFERENCE after modification (1°C), same fan speed
I'm surprise by the result but i've try to make the best test possible (stability test 1 loop 16 threads i7 6700k @[email protected])
here is the mesurement :
nhl12s10.png

the pictures of mod :
20180224.jpg

111.jpg

if you want to see all my pictures they are her :
https://forum.hardware.fr/forum2.ph...reponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0#t10331542

I hope it can give some ideas
bye ! ;)

hi ! everyone
I've made my modification of a Noctua NH-L12S rad to make it compatible with the Ghost S1
I wanted to share the results with you.
I removed -4mm to go from 70mm->66mm
The modification has been done manually with a "belt sander" hand machine (french, not sure about the right word)
previously i thought doing this with a machine tool but i was not difficult as aluminium is "soft" and with caution nnot to destroy everything
Thanks to this I will be able to get it inside the ghost S1, with a 12cm fan not "stuck" to the wall of the case (better for noise).
my test was done with an open case, so for sure temps will be higher in the real ghost s1

The result is : about NO DIFFERENCE after modification (1°C), same fan speed
I'm surprise by the result but i've try to make the best test possible (stability test 1 loop 16 threads i7 6700k @[email protected])
here is the mesurement :

the pictures of mod :

if you want to see all my pictures they are her :
https://forum.hardware.fr/forum2.ph...reponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0#t10331542

I hope it can give some ideas
bye ! ;)

Great job! A video of the process would be welcome.

Back