GHOST S1 - When both size & performance matters

Lots of great info so far, thanks. Will be some sort of "summary" showing best temps/config? Lots of options with this case!

During the campaign we will do a new set of tests with a target temperature set and then measure noise levels instead. A more structured report with all the information you'll need to make the decision of size and number of TopHats.

There will be simple pledge levels during the campaign, all you need to decide is if you want tophat(s) or not.

I know it is a lot to ask for newer and different hardware but I would love to see tests with a 8700k. I believe that will be the most common CPU used in this case.

We will do a 8700k build or go as far as an i9 to see how that beast copes with the Ghost S1 during the Dreamhack event December 1:st - 3:rd

What is a DDC?

It is the most widely used water cooling pump on the market. Manufactured by Laing: link
- This type of pump is the most widely used/copied/licensed pump with good power at a small size. There are smaller pumps with lower power and larger more quiet pumps but this is the widely accepted best balance out there.
ddc-drawings_x800.jpg

However, most people will use it in this configuration with a heatsink attached:

ek-xtop_ddc_3.2_pwm_elite_-_plexi_incl._pump__1.jpg

Total dimensions with heatsink and pump top are 63mm(length) x 68mm(width) x 55mm(height)
Mounting is with 50mm square hole pattern as below:
upload_2017-11-21_22-28-35.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-21_22-23-18.png
    upload_2017-11-21_22-23-18.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 12
It is the most widely used water cooling pump on the market. Manufactured by Laing: link
- This type of pump is the most widely used/copied/licensed pump with good power at a small size. There are smaller pumps with lower power and larger more quiet pumps but this is the widely accepted best balance out there.
ddc-drawings_x800.jpg

However, most people will use it in this configuration with a heatsink attached:

Total dimensions with heatsink and pump top are 63mm(length) x 68mm(width) x 55mm(height)
View attachment 43867
Technically, the size listed for the large tophat would suggest it is big enough to fit this. You could place the tophat above or below the udpated case design i believe. And with the tubing being horizontal this might fit.
"The L TopHat extends your GHOST S1 height with 57 mm making room for water cooling, extra 3.5" HDDs, tons of 2.5"s, larger case fans or any other cat sized object you want to hook up" from the main page:
http://www.louqe.com/

[Edit]: Just realised that would only have 2mm difference, might not fit then.

Last edited:
Anyone here going to delid their processor for this case? I am... Temperature drops are really big. Especially if I'm going to be using the NH-L9x65 fan.

Technically, the size listed for the large tophat would suggest it is big enough to fit this. You could place the tophat above or below the udpated case design i believe. And with the tubing being horizontal this might fit.
"The L TopHat extends your GHOST S1 height with 57 mm making room for water cooling, extra 3.5" HDDs, tons of 2.5"s, larger case fans or any other cat sized object you want to hook up" from the main page:
http://www.louqe.com/

But you cannot fit a DDC pump & a 240 radiator in the same L TopHat; and the tubing would only be horizontal if you use the stock Laing-style pump, go for one of the upgraded models with a heat sink & a pump top (like pictured above from EKWB) and you have one of the fittings protruding from the top of the pump assembly, increasing overall height...

Lots of talk about NH-L12 so kinda disappointed the testing was done with the NH-l9x65 instead, but great results none the less. Will you be testing the case with NH-L12 before the Kickstarter?

Magic! Thank you for the detailed description and specs! As mentioned before we will work with some water cooling wizards soon and find some good places to add custom mounting possibilities before mass production. They should be aware of this pump, right?

But it seems like it will fit on top of the block, do you see a need for an alternative mounting position?

ddc-drawings_x800.jpg

View attachment 43867

Somehow missed that test. Awesome results! Nh-l12 is definitely the cooler you want if you care about noise.

Will it be possible to back 2 cases on the kickstarter or will everybody be limited to 1 case?

1, 2 and 3, we have gotten some requests for a 3-pack deal so we're doing that instead of 10 =)

But it seems like it will fit on top of the block, do you see a need for an alternative mounting position?

As in on top of the CPU water block...?!?

DDC pumps do not mount onto a CPU water block (unless you are looking at a SwifTech Apogee II pump/block combo unit or using an AIO)...

As in on top of the CPU water block...?!?

DDC pumps do not mount onto a CPU water block (unless you are looking at a SwifTech Apogee II pump/block combo unit or using an AIO)...

Sorry, as I said, not my strong suit this Custom area.

We have started the planning of the custom loop with the Swedish wizards =) DDC has been fed into that discussion and they have confirmed it's importance.

Sorry, as I said, not my strong suit this Custom area.

We have started the planning of the custom loop with the Swedish wizards =) DDC has been fed into that discussion and they have confirmed it's importance.

Best pump (IMHO) is a D5, lower noise & more pumping power; but that is a bulky beast, about a 90mm cubical bounding box worth of bulky beast...?

I´m really excited about the case, also was a backer from the first KS campagne. I think this beautiful one will be the successor of my NCase M1 ;).

edit: After reading the complete thread, nice to see some people from the M1 forum here (y).

Last edited:
I'm subscribed to the YouTube channel. Nice to see more videos being uploaded and would be great if any upcoming test rigs were uploaded to see the different configurations in video :)

Pachalski

You mentioned in past about looking at modifications to the bottom (plate) of the chassis in regards to fitting a 120 AIO below the PSU (in conjunction with a TopHat mounted to the bottom of the chassis...

I would think this would be a Medium TopHat...?

Would be great to see / hear more on this, and a test configuration as well, would really help show folks that a 240 AIO on the CPU & a Hybrid GPU with a 120 AIO could work in the Ghost...!

Fully AIO water-cooled CPU & GPU in 12.5 liters...!

Also looking forward to the testing results with taller feet...

> For example, the signature personal favorite Be Quiet Shadow Rock LP, together with a bundled Noctua NF-A12x15, could take place without any problems in the chassis, and in doing so, perform very well when it comes to both heat dissipation and noise levels.

Nice. If only Be Quiet did the LP in their sexy black heatsink finish.

>This type of small-scale projects tends to run out of price, and we were therefore very surprised when the company announced that they aim at a recommended price of SEK 1,990. This is of course still a lot of money for a chassis, but against the other fields in this segment it can still be seen as competitive.

We have a price point! Roughly $235 USD, respectable, wouldn't say I'm blown away though.

Was expecting closer to $200, but definitely still a buy from me.
I do find the upper part pretty thin and in the video it looks a bit warped? A little bit worried about that.

Was expecting closer to $200, but definitely still a buy from me.
I do find the upper part pretty thin and in the video it looks a bit warped? A little bit worried about that.

Was expecting a little bit less as well (sub US$200)...

I sagree on the top panel, I was thinking the same thing as I watched the video, "That looks a bit thin & does not seem to be seating properly..."

Pachalski Question: what fan can possibly fit in the space ob this storage braket?

Currently you'll be able to fit a 120 x 25 mm fan there using an SFX PSU, with the lying update where we will move up the PSU thanks to samller C13 connector you will be able to add a slim fan under an SFX-L PSU. However, this PSU position eliminated the possibility to add radiator on top.

I have to admit that the promo video is nicely done. I'm not sure though if combining those two effects (color post process and tearing) is a good idea since it's slightly irritating to the eyes in full screen mode.

Do you have recommended cable lengths for custom cables? Or are you using stock SF600 cabling in the videos above?

Currently you'll be able to fit a 120 x 25 mm fan there using an SFX PSU, with the lying update where we will move up the PSU thanks to samller C13 connector you will be able to add a slim fan under an SFX-L PSU. However, this PSU position eliminated the possibility to add radiator on top.

Even with the largest tophat, it will no longer support a radiator on the top? If so, I question why you would change it just for more room for a fan.

Even with the largest tophat, it will no longer support a radiator on the top? If so, I question why you would change it just for more room for a fan.

As I understood it, they'll add some extra psu bracket mounting screw holes to make it possible to optionally move the psu a bit further up.

So I am guessing white will not make launch then as it's absent from the promo video?

Do you have recommended cable lengths for custom cables? Or are you using stock SF600 cabling in the videos above?

Stock cables in video. They are simply folded behind the PSU and disappears, works like a charm!

I’m not sure I understand your question. With no TopHats you can fit one fan. TopHats mounted on top or bottom will house two.

Back