GHOST S1 - When both size & performance matters

What are the dimensions of the space for the GPU? Still the same as the website? I'm looking at the MSI 1080 Ti on Massdrop right now and it ends in a few days, wanted to know if I should pick it up if it will fit in this case.

The GPU's dimensions are 320mm x 141mm x 42mm

Last edited:
What are the dimensions of the space for the GPU? Still the same as the website? I'm looking at the MSI 1080 Ti on Massdrop right now and it ends in a few days, wanted to know if I should pick it up if it will fit in this case.

The GPU's dimensions are 320mm x 141mm x 42mm

The GPU space is larger than on the homepage (soon to be updated).

We will need to clearly define and test this before giving a final space definition on what size cards will fir. We can provide an exact space definition now but you'll need some wiggle room in order to easily mount the card in practice. Theoretical maximum is 316,2mm x 148mm x 45mm (TopHat will allow wider cards (148 mm+ TopHat)). It is the length of the cars that you need to take a couple of millimeter off of in order to slide it in.

Are you sure about the 320 mm in length, I have not seen it. What model are you looking at?

yeah this is the NH-L12S link, unfortunately it is 70mm height and not 66mm like the NH-L12
http://noctua.at/en/nh-l12s/specification

tech_nh_l12s_xl.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ceski
like this
Can't wait to be doing that myself! I saw on Instagram you were saying a possible Kickstarter in 6-7 weeks?

Pachalski

Thoughts towards the Noctua NH-L12S...?

Might its 70mm height (with fan in bottom position) still fit within this chassis...?

If not, and seeing as this is still in a pre-production state, might the chassis be widened the extra few mms needed to fit what just might be the best-in-class air cooling solution for this chassis...?

Pachalski

Thoughts towards the Noctua NH-L12S...?

Might its 70mm height (with fan in bottom position) still fit within this chassis...?

If not, and seeing as this is still in a pre-production state, might the chassis be widened the extra few mms needed to fit what just might be the best-in-class air cooling solution for this chassis...?

Coolers will come and go. If in a few months there's a better compatible cooler announced then it would have been delayed and widened for nothing. I'm sure the NH-L12 isn't the best by such a wide margin that the entire project has to be reworked just to fit the new one.

Coolers will come and go. If in a few months there's a better compatible cooler announced then it would have been delayed and widened for nothing. I'm sure the NH-L12 isn't the best by such a wide margin that the entire project has to be reworked just to fit the new one.

Many thing will come & go, but Noctua will still make some of the best air coolers out there...

And the question towards max space & possibility of extending to fit 70mm is valid; just look into trying to find a NH-C14 (NOt an NH-C14S) for a NCASE M1 these days, not an easy item to find...

So, with the NH-L12 on the way out, assuring the Ghost could fit the newer NH-L12S seems a reasonable request...

Many thing will come & go, but Noctua will still make some of the best air coolers out there...

And the question towards max space & possibility of extending to fit 70mm is valid; just look into trying to find a NH-C14 (NOt an NH-C14S) for a NCASE M1 these days, not an easy item to find...

So, with the NH-L12 on the way out, assuring the Ghost could fit the newer NH-L12S seems a reasonable request...

Boil Your logic is dead on and the example you bring up is clearly proving the dilemma of SFF cases.

We did extend the width of the case in order to make the NH-L 9x65 fit, a tough decisions in many ways. That the L12 fits is a huge bonus but we cant keep extending the width in order to fit the next cooler. One of the strengths of the Ghost is it's flexibility, if extreme CPU cooling is what you want there is always the possibility to trow on an AIO

Last edited:
Regarding the Noctua NH-L12. I just did some research on it and apparently using it with the bottom fan on an AM4 motherboard may be very difficult. Perhaps only possible using a slimmer fan.
There is this review on amazon explaining the problem:
Not 100% compatible with the NH-L12. While it secures the cooler perfectly, the new mounting has the spring loaded screws protruding in a way that prevents the bottom fan from being located directly above them. The fan can still be attached, offset from the screws, but for a SFF build this isn't always possible - in my GIGABYTE GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 this would cause it to hit either the RAM or a mb heatsink.

Boil Your logic is dead on and the example you bring up is clearly proving the dilemma of SFF cases.

We did extend the width of the case in order to make the NH-L 9x65 fit, a tough decisions in many ways. That the L12 fits is a huge bonus but we cant keep extending the width in order to fit the next cooler. One of the strengths of the Ghost is it's flexibility, if extreme CPU cooling is what you want there is always the possibility to trow on an AIO

I totally understand the dilemma of spec creep, but I think it is not a case "to fit the next cooler", but to fit the BEST cooler...

Another major bonus of the NH-L12S would be the ability to use (with VLP or, possibly, ULP RAM, of course) the NF-A12x15 underneath, and the quieter performance due to the fan not being right up on the side panel...

What is the current measurement from the very top of the NH-L12 heat sink fins to the inside of the side panel...?

It's funny Boil, I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw they were increasing the height of the NH-L12S.

I totally understand the dilemma of spec creep, but I think it is not a case "to fit the next cooler", but to fit the BEST cooler...

Another major bonus of the NH-L12S would be the ability to use (with VLP or, possibly, ULP RAM, of course) the NF-A12x15 underneath, and the quieter performance due to the fan not being right up on the side panel...

What is the current measurement from the very top of the NH-L12 heat sink fins to the inside of the side panel...?

I defiantly see your point and the clear benefits of being able to fit the new NH-L12S. We will take this into careful consideration, but I'm defiantly not promising anything right now. Making such a fundamental change at this point would delay the launch significantly.

Can you quantify by how much it is unquestionably the BEST cooler? Does this cooler allow a computer to do something that no other cooler allows? I commend Pachalski for how polite he has been with such a request.

Last edited:

I missed to answer this one, the gap between the NH-L12 heat sink fins and the side panel is close to nothing, the panel just brushes over when closing the side.

It is 43mm-15mm(or 16mm) equal to 27mm, but this not include space between cooler and mainboard, so will fit but without heatspreder.
Maybe with 13mm XT140 can work too.

Last edited:
I am curious how will perform Scythe Big Shuriken 2 (58mm with 12mm fan) with Cryorig XT140.

Here tested with Noctua NH-L12 with bottom fan only: What is the Best CPU Cooler for the LZ7?
Results:
ekOXWji.jpg

Good finds, I wonder how well these combos will perform with the Ghost s1. How do open air style gpus perform in these "chamber" like cases like the Dancase with the gpu/cpu on different sides? I'm currently running an Ncase with a 240mm aio to separate the airflow between my cpu and gpu, but I'm unsure whether I'll be alright switching to a low profile cooler with my current gpu in the Ghost. I know I can go with a tophat, but the smaller the better you know. :^)

Also why are these little coolers so expensive? haha, I guess I expecting them to be around $30.

I am curious how will perform Scythe Big Shuriken 2 (58mm with 12mm fan) with Cryorig XT140.

Here tested with Noctua NH-L12 with bottom fan only: What is the Best CPU Cooler for the LZ7?
Results:
ekOXWji.jpg

I read that same post. One thing to remember was that the Noctua was actually picked as the preferred cooler from the test because of quieter performance.

Back