Ghost Recon, no longer a thinking man's tactical FPS

Yeah, I think this has been known for some time now.

If you want any chance of a real tactical shooter coming out, your best bet is that Kickstarter thing.

Im getting less bothered by my backlog being so large. It looks like I may just get through this period without buying any major titles.

Not to sound real 'hipster' or anything, but the last Tom Clancy product I ever cared about was Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield. That game was AWESOME.

I never really liked Ghost Recon. It's always been a console game (except the first one, which was basically an R6 clone), R6 at least had three amazing games in it's series before it got taken by the consolitus.

Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield.

+1000!

I do have to admit, I did play the shit out of Ghost Recon 2 on a original Xbox though. Some good times!

This new GR, wont touch, didnt like the Advance Warfighter series on PC..

Now it's a horrendous consolized piece of shit third person COD-wannabe. Holy crap how sad is it that this series has went to shit like this? I knew it had to have been turned to shit with Ubishaft behind the wheel eventually, but damn.

RIP Ghost Recon.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/mega64-goes-ghost-recon/728360

And the commentary fits the game perfectly: ADHD crowd will love it.

Rainbow Six hasn't been a thinking man's tactical FPS since the days you had to plan the entire mission before hand, telling the different squads which routes to take and when to blast doors, etc etc.

I miss the classic Ghost Recon. The GRAW series was different, but it was still very good. It wasn't a hardcore tactical shooter thanks to its third person perspective (at least on console) but it had enough depth and strategy to make it fun while still being accessible.

This game looks like it's following the GRAW formula while borrowing elements from Call of Duty, Gears of War, and Crysis. It looks like a pretty decent game, but it's a far stretch from the Ghost Recon I knew and loved on the PC way back when.

My sarcasm meter is pinging.

hehe maybe a little. Anyone who has played ghost recon since its launch knows that the tactics pretty much go out the door online. At least they are attempting to add some team-play to the MP now. More then I can say for the original games. Which was pretty much.. shoot on sight.

Rainbow Six hasn't been a thinking man's tactical FPS since the days you had to plan the entire mission before hand, telling the different squads which routes to take and when to blast doors, etc etc.

All that was mia from online play anyways. SP however it was present.

game reminds me so much of Gears Of War.

the movement and cover system is nearly identical.

Im getting less bothered by my backlog being so large. It looks like I may just get through this period without buying any major titles.
Backlogs and old games are our ultimate trump cards. When half-assed games lose, we win!

If they're not going to bother making a Ghost Recon game, why use the Ghost Recon brand? The only people who will recognize the brand are people who are fans of the originals, and run-and-gun FPS players never cared about Ghost Recon in the first place, so the brand is worthless.

Ghost Recon was already a half assed shell of the Rainbow Six games. It is frankly not surprising they have gone the cookie cutter console-centric game route.

I have a huge backlog, too. I'm leaving all desired & new games to my Amazon wishlist in order for family to get them for me. The whole process of stripping out the core gaming functions from a game series has numbed & desensitized me a lot. I think I'll just get the best of the best games for now on...

I'm still going to get this game....I like the heavy amount of weapon customization and being INVISIBLE.

Ghost Recon was already a half assed shell of the Rainbow Six games. It is frankly not surprising they have gone the cookie cutter console-centric game route.

Correct.

Games like SWAT, and Rainbow 6 were both great in their own right. It's sad to see the de-evolution of shooting games.

Quite frankly, I just can't stand Ubisoft, I choose not to support any endeavor they are apart of.

Raven Shield and SWAT 4 show you how it's done right. Nice balance in those games between tactical planning and gameplay.

Correct.

Games like SWAT, and Rainbow 6 were both great in their own right. It's sad to see the de-evolution of shooting games.

Quite frankly, I just can't stand Ubisoft, I choose not to support any endeavor they are apart of.

That's why the only game that has a Ubishaft badge on it that I want to play, Anno 2070, hasn't been bought yet. I absolutely despise them. Every game I have seen them release in the last few years have either had massive DRM that only a retarded monkey could justify, or just totally shitty games. I am looking at my Steam catalog, and not a single Ubisoft game among them except Il-2-Sturmovik (ofc that was back in the day) and my non-steam game World in Conflict which they didn't touch with their filthy DRM. So I choose to not support a shitheaded publisher.

That's why the only game that has a Ubishaft badge on it that I want to play, Anno 2070, hasn't been bought yet. I absolutely despise them. Every game I have seen them release in the last few years have either had massive DRM that only a retarded monkey could justify, or just totally shitty games. I am looking at my Steam catalog, and not a single Ubisoft game among them except Il-2-Sturmovik (ofc that was back in the day) and my non-steam game World in Conflict which they didn't touch with their filthy DRM. So I choose to not support a shitheaded publisher.

Riveting story! I especially starting taking you serious when you said "Ubishaft". :rolleyes:

Ubisoft sucks blah blah blah. Getting past the usual nonsense...

http://ghost-recon.ubi.com/gr-portal/en-us/home/index.aspx

Out today May 22 for consoles.

PC version June 12

I like some of what I've seen but need to see more.

Early reviews shaping up in promising fashion thus far:

360: http://www.gamerankings.com/ps3/988970-tom-clancys-ghost-recon-future-soldier/index.html

PS3: http://www.gamerankings.com/ps3/988970-tom-clancys-ghost-recon-future-soldier/index.html

Game Informer's review is about the closest to what I was expecting from this. Around a 7.5/10 game with some hit and miss elements. Unfortunately some of their complaints are big ones for me when it comes to key gameplay mechanics and such.

Looking forward to impressions.

Last edited:
Too busy to read this whole thread, but going on the title and the OP Ghost Recon was NEVER a thinking man's tactical FPS.
The original Rainbow 6 games were 10000 times better. Ghost Recon was a ALWAYS a consolized piece of trash.
/endrant

Not that I'm expecting much but some of the footage I've seen almost suggested "Splinter Cell Conviction, the light squad variant" type game. That'd be pretty good for me since I loved SCC. I realize this game isn't going to be GHOST RECON except in name only.

This. This entire franchise hasn't been a thinking man's tactical FPS since the 90's , Raven Shield was a strait up FPS in my mind as well. Why would it be any different now? How would any of the trailers that have been out for years surrounding them game lead you to a different possible conclusion?

Its not even worth making a fuss , you should have expected this to be the same kind of game its been for a long time.

Yeah, I think this has been known for some time now.

If you want any chance of a real tactical shooter coming out, your best bet is that Kickstarter thing.

I would recommend Red Orchestra 2, as a great historical tactical oriented shooter. And it just happens to have a major bug patch, new content and a free weekend coming up :)

Another game that's coming out in this same vein is Iron Front, another WWII game based on the ARMA2 engine, due out very soon.

it is sad what has happened to ghost recon (I never played it, but I do love realistic tactical oriented shooters), but there are alternatives. :)

I know it's not the last word or anything but I was mildly taken aback with Destructoid giving this a 9/10. Wasn't expecting that.

I liked the Ghost Recon games on the original Xbox, but I stopped when they moved to the Advanced Warfighter games.

Anything to do with GR or R6, just gotta say: Red Storm > Ubisoft. It went down hill quick once RSE got bought out.

Anything to do with GR or R6, just gotta say: Red Storm > Ubisoft. It went down hill quick once RSE got bought out.

Red Storm kicked ass. What happened to those guys? Were they just absorbed by Ubisoft or what?

Not surprised, I saw this coming months ago. Here's hoping Planetside 2 will be great.

Back