Ghost of Tsushima

Glad to see you’re enjoying it after being on the fence and pulling the trigger.

I think at first for me my mind went a bit to the hack and slash type combat and once I forced myself to slow it down a bit, it’s much more rock paper scissors while waiting for your opponent to leaving an opening.

Yes. Now to be fair I'm playing at medium difficulty and I'm going to try and stay there instead of being a wuss and going to easy. ;)

I can't emphasize this enough to everyone: SLOW DOWN.

Rock paper scissors is a great way to describe this. I'm at the first quest where I just got a bow and am getting into that. I don't have any abilities or upgrades yet and I can tell this thing is going to open up more once I do like the reviews and everyone have said. I'm really happy with the ranged incidentally. I really wish I could do more stealth and Assassin's Creed style shenanigans but maybe that comes later.

EDIT ADD: I do agree with people that the combat shows its weaknesses at least here in the early goings when you run into multiple enemies at once. Having a couple of rangers take pot shots at you in addition makes it that much more apparent.

Last edited:
Slowing down and being deliberate is definitely the way to go most of the time. I think it’s kind of cool that way since your uncle is always telling you to control your emotions and master yourself. Kinda fits the whole samurai theme.

That does change a bit depending on the armor you’re wearing, though. The legendary armors that you’ll eventually get make you play differently. For example, the my favorite one boosts stagger damage and heals you when you kill a staggered enemy. Instead of relying on parrying, I’m incentivized to be more aggressive and stagger enemies. Basically, all I do now is constantly switch stances and wreck everything in sight...I stopped caring about trying to get perfect parries and whatnot. With the right charm setup, I can stagger everything in one or two heavy attacks. Once they are staggered, they die very quickly, and I get healed for 30% of my health. This armor has basically turned me into an unkillable monster.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
combat sounds similar to Sekiro (much less difficult but the mechanics sound similar)

like this
So far I will still continue to agree with a number of others who say the "weakness" in the combat far and away is "crowd control." When multiple enemies are swarming you there is trouble.

That's honestly the only real complaint (or closest to one) that I have.

Man, this game looks good. I wonder how it plays on a base PS4. I think I have one in storage from way back when they first came out.

Damn, it's too bad it's not on PC.

I read somewhere that the more stealth kills you do in the game, the worse the weather gets towards the end of the game, is that true? Because if it is, that is really stupid. I hate bad weather in games, but I like stealth kills.

like this
I read somewhere that the more stealth kills you do in the game, the worse the weather gets towards the end of the game, is that true? Because if it is, that is really stupid. I hate bad weather in games, but I like stealth kills.
No clue if it’s true or not but I do know that the real Mongolian invasion of Japan did apparently involve a tsunami.

Plus the weather in this game looks damned fantastic.

like this
I give it 2 mehs and a silent fart. Looks beautiful, but the combat is basically assasin's creed and poor story was oh so predictable. Had fun playing it but it definitely won't leave a lasting impression on me.

Pro's: graphics
the combat at times was quick and violent, gave a real sense of satisfaction winning some duels
fast travel that is actually fast

cons: predictable
can't skip the cut scenes(any of them, even mundain dumb ones)
spent alot of time looting/gathering like in the last of us... for no real apparent reason based on the setting

Looks beautiful, but the combat is basically assasin's creed and poor story was oh so predictable. Had fun playing it but it definitely won't leave a lasting impression on me.
Thanks for being honest, that's about what I expected and saw in gameplay videos. I was kind of baffled why so many reviewers insisted that it's not like AC, when it clearly is exactly like it.
It seems as if a lot of people just really wanted to like and hype this game no matter what.

No clue if it’s true or not but I do know that the real Mongolian invasion of Japan did apparently involve a tsunami.

Plus the weather in this game looks damned fantastic.
I don't mind the occasional storm, but not all the time. I don't think historical accuracy is important down to the weather :) Or is important at all, unless they advertise the game as historically true.

plat done.

1. Story was just okay...but I enjoyed it lot because of great Japanese VA
2. side quests and enemy camps were too generic..super boring like ubisoft games.
3. would not replay

Last edited:
I guess I came in with lower expectations and I've also been in a gaming drought... I'm running with an 7.5...maybe an 8/10 overall myself. I will be surprised if that score drops by the time I finish this. If it goes up, we'll see. I'm not really expecting that, either.

There are some similarities to AC which are unavoidable for any of these types of games. There are also some "take it or leave it" differences, some of which I have mentioned in earlier posts. Don't like the weather? Whip out the flute. Loot and gather? We do that in all of these games. I barely give it a thought as I go about my business. I'm in vacuum cleaner mode and then I upgrade my stuff when I can.

Can't skip cutscenes but on a first playthrough if you are going for the story that's not the end of the world. I bet that gets patched. This game certainly is not the next "Witcher 3 that raises the bar" but if you like these kinds of games and you need a fix this is a pretty solid choice.

Last edited:
Loot and gather? We do that in all of these games.

I get it from a gameplay point... kinda. From a story though, the dude is nobility, i'm pretty sure he can scrounge up some spare bamboo if needed :)

like this
I get it from a gameplay point... kinda. From a story though, the dude is nobility, i'm pretty sure he can scrounge up some spare bamboo if needed :)

LOL! Gotta point.

I'm still getting this combat dialed in... like when I'm about against these big armored guys with spears or the swordman with spike shields that take multiple shots at you. I haven't wussed from medium down to easy yet but it's starting to get tempting.

What's the best way for me to efficiently get this character up?

The PS4 case had two sections of this game both were sold out usually I never see that. It happened with NIOH 2 recently but that was over a few months.

Last edited:
The PS4 case had two sections of this game both were sold out usually I never see that it happened with NIOH 2 recently but that was over a few months.

Yea i had to go to walmart since bestbuy was sold out. I'm assuming they had production problems, or didn't make enough physical copies. TLOU2 was easy to find.

Yea i had to go to walmart since bestbuy was sold out. I'm assuming they had production problems, or didn't make enough physical copies. TLOU2 was easy to find.
I’m guessing they may have under estimated what sales were going to be like for this game.

Ghost of Tsushima Angry Review

"one of the best thematic games of this generation...a perfect end-cap to the PS4 era"...Score: 9/10

like this
I'm into act two, but have gone back to finish all the side quests in the first area. While I do like the game for me there is a certain boring element. It's incredibly rinse and repeat, and there are some things that I find really annoying. First, not being able to skip the cut scenes is ridiculous. Some of them go on for ever. Not being able to climb the simplest low stone outcropping, even though you can almost touch the top. Hitting the wrong button during a battle and you go into photo mode. Jumping off the simplest cliff results in a damage hit (early game). I actually can only play for an hour or two and then I lose interest. I'll finish it but its a blah for me.

LOL! Gotta point.

I'm still getting this combat dialed in... like when I'm about against these big armored guys with spears or the swordman with spike shields that take multiple shots at you. I haven't wussed from medium down to easy yet but it's starting to get tempting.

What's the best way for me to efficiently get this character up?

You need to learn the 'stances' and you need to find the special armor doing the six? key quest.

like this
You need to learn the 'stances' and you need to find the special armor doing the six? key quest.

Good to go. :) For me personally this game is going to be on my shortlist by year's end. Is it perfect? Of course not but what it does it does very well.

Patch 1.06 is out. 1.7 GB.

"PATCH NOTES

Traveler’s Attire

– The Traveler’s Attire has been enhanced to add new visual and audio cues hinting at nearby collectibles. These cues can replace or augment controller vibration in order to offer a better, more accessible experience

Text

– Expanded Large Text accessibility option to also include additional prompts and objective text

Bug Fixes

– Addressed a bug where users could encounter a black screen preventing progress in certain tales

– Addressed a bug where users could become stuck in some Yarikawa tales

– Additional bug and crash fixes"

It looks like Sucker Punch is serious about support with a free update in the fall that adds "The free 'Legends' update includes two- and four-player missions, as well as a raid. "

what a way to close out the PS4 generation...console GOTY

like this
I lent my PS4 to my brother in law as he's on the frontline of covid and the homeless as a cop. I'll play it if and when I get it back, not to concerned.

I’m playing it just not discussing it much. And I only play a limited amount each week so it’s slow going.

like this
I'm slowly playing through this now - can only get a few hours in per week. Agree with others that it's an amazing game. Combat feels great to me, environments look amazing, exploring is a lot of fun, and enjoying the story so far. I look forward to playing when I actually have time to sit down and do it.

like this
I just finished the main story last night. I still have some collectibles to go for and wrap some things up but what a great game this has been. The total package for me has me going for "classic" and "masterpiece" in terms of having a vision and executing said vision. That doesn't mean it's perfect. That doesn't mean it's "Super Mario Bros." or "Legend of Zelda" but this is the kind of game that hands Hollywood its ass for starters. Bravo!

I am looking forward to playing this again on PS5, so I am hoping they add some enhancements for it. I would be happy with 1440@60 and take advantage of VRR. I don't think the PS5 will have enough power to run at true 4K/60.

like this
I am looking forward to playing this again on PS5, so I am hoping they add some enhancements for it. I would be happy with 1440@60 and take advantage of VRR. I don't think the PS5 will have enough power to run at true 4K/60.

60fps would really be fantastic for this game. I hope that can happen at least.

Back