Ghost In The Shell Official Trailer

Gotcha. Your original post had me thinking that you thought of the entire premise to me "overrated." Glad to see that you agree that the relevance of the topics explored in the film are important. At least i hope i am right in reading that into your post.

GATTACCA is another film i think everyone should watch, not because it's a particularly good film, IMHO, but because of the ideas it explores.

In my opinion, that is kind of what sci-fi is supposed to do, question how science and technology are going to effect us as people.

No, I don't think the premise is overrated. Especially not for the time that it was released. I understand what you are saying as well, but I don't think science fiction has to be particularly thought provoking or necessarily explore anything of particular interest or importance to be entertaining. Sometimes a good story is a good story regardless of the setting. The setting used doesn't necessarily matter as long as it's interesting to look at. Sometimes emphasis on the themes comes across as philosophical commentary rather than entertainment. I think there is a line there that gets moved around depending on who you talk to.

This is going to be watered down, white washed and turned into a popcorn flick when it has no right to be one.

Only with lots of makeup and nice lighting. It's all smoke and mirrors. And the movie looks boring too.

Scarlett-Johansson:-Without-makeup-for-Vanity-Fair-2014-01-720x889.jpg

Perfect teeth, skin, hair, beautiful eyes...am i missing something?

Might want to get your eyes checked if you think theres "perfect teeth" in that pic.
Well they're nicer than mine just after my braces, aren't black and rotted, and this is supposedly 100% her natural state, so yeah pretty much perfect. jesus i didn't know there were so many models on [H].

There's nothing wrong with "the major", because she is "a major". It's a rank, not a name.
Except it becomes her name. I've watched nearly the entire set of gits works. It's clearly obvious that the script writer has zero interest to bring anything close to the actual source material. That's why I'm not caring anymore. Everything felt wrong and off.

Given what turds Hollywood constantly shoots out as of lately I'm happier not caring.

Well they're nicer than mine just after my braces, aren't black and rotted, and this is supposedly 100% her natural state, so yeah pretty much perfect. jesus i didn't know there were so many models on [H].

Now you know :p

Reactions: dgz
like this

Opening is faithful to the original and even uses the original score. The soundtrack is also being composed by Clint Mansell, so at least one good thing is guaranteed to come out of this production.

I think IGN re-inserted the Kenji Kawaii score. (it's copied straight from the GitS and GitS Innocence soundtracks) I'd think they'd do a new recording instead.

The soundtrack is also being composed by Clint Mansell, so at least one good thing is guaranteed to come out of this production.

Loved his work on Moon and The Fountain.

not sure. trailer didnt get me excited at all. still disagree with the casting. Will watch on BD probably.

Perfect teeth, skin, hair, beautiful eyes...am i missing something?

I've kicked better looking girls out of my bed at 3:00am. Matter of taste I guess but I find her average and nothing special. Everyone in Hollywood has perfect teeth because they get caps. And yes, I used to be a model a long time ago and have had girlfriends better looking than her in my day.

Last edited:
The anime that really got me into anime/manga was Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG. I would stay up late on Saturday nights to watch it on Adult Swim. Ghost in the Shell would always be special to me, for that reason and for introducing me to that genre.

2nd gig bored the hell out of me, like the 1st one well enough. The original movie was entertaining but I kind of agree its a bit overrated. Akira bored me to tears, it just wasn't for me.

Was just re-watching the trailer and noticed something... I had also just returned from Hong Kong and something looked very similar to me. Looking at the trailer and then looking at my pictures I just notice I had actually captured the same location from the trailer by total accident!
Top is my photo, bottom is the trailer. If I had known I would have taken a better shot of the lower section of the building

Whole building for anyone interested.

And another one! More heavily modified...

And the last one, looks like just a future view of the same location. Notice the tallest building. You can also see the dark knight banker building scene in this shot! :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I have not actually seen the original!

I just feel her costume is going to just make this movie a symbol of feminist hate. I would totally love to see Scarlett actually dressed like that, but I can tell it's totally CGI, so if they felt the need to do that, then they should have made her a little more "dressed" looking... YMMV

We shouldn't be catering to Feminists, SJW's and their stupid ass agenda anyhow.

But yes, the outfit in this case is pretty accurate to the original.

Overall it looks meh though..Very rarely does an anime translate well into live action. So rare in fact, I can't think of a single one.

Reactions: Madoc
like this
I only liked her in that movie where she picks up lonely guys, gets naked, and then eats them... otherwise she kinda annoys me, even in Her... reminds me of an angry ex gf or somethin' I'm not sure...

I only liked her in that movie where she picks up lonely guys, gets naked, and then eats them... otherwise she kinda annoys me, even in Her... reminds me of an angry ex gf or somethin' I'm not sure...

Well that popped an old memory out of the files but, I don't remember the movie.

Well that popped an old memory out of the files but, I don't remember the movie.

Under the Skin?

I'll go see this movie, but I have my expectations set as low as I possibly could. I'm expecting a train wreck of Uwe Boll proportions.

Yea, that trailer makes me less excited... Looks like they are not interested in much of the original storyline.

Yea, that trailer makes me less excited... Looks like they are not interested in much of the original storyline.

Looks as though they've tossed the original origin out the window pretty much. They're cherry picking some of the best visual from the Manga and Anime and repurposing them to fit the movie.

With the sheer amount of info that the Manga had in the sides of the panels, and the insane amount of dialogue added to Stand Alone Complex just to give people the info they'd need to understand the story, this is going to have to be dumbed down seriously to fit into a Hollywood movie run time in the theatre.

It may be an "ok" cyberpunk movie, but everything I've seen so far is lacking the feel of GitS.

I agree, I hated that they were not going to do the original story, but that's got me intrigued... But I'll wait for reviews.

But it might be worth it for the eye-candy alone. It's been a long time since something Fifth Element / Prometheus had me willing to not pick on the story and just enjoy the spectacle.

I agree, I hated that they were not going to do the original story, but that's got me intrigued... But I'll wait for reviews.

But it might be worth it for the eye-candy alone. It's been a long time since something Fifth Element / Prometheus had me willing to not pick on the story and just enjoy the spectacle.

I will admit to being curious, but it just doesn't feel like GitS to me. I'd settle for an 'ok' cyberpunk movie, but that's about all I can envision it as atm.

I'd like to be surprised, but this is Hollywood, and they have a knack for taking foreign source material and butchering it.

If you liked The Fifth Element, keep an eye out for Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2239822/

Its supposedly going to be Luc Besson's next big thing.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/valerian-is-the-movie-that-luc-besson-has-waited-his-wh-1787894351

Yea, when I heard that Besson and most of the crew (but no Gaultier) were doing that it went to the front of my list...

ppl shouldn't hold so tight to the "it isn't original gits, they changed it and she's white!". whatever! don't be so hung on the original. ive watched it dozens and dozens of times, still have my original first run vhs copy, manga's somewhere, dvds, games etc etc, consider myself I pretty big gits fan and I'm stoked. Fifth El is one of my favs too so how could this be that bad. like sex and pizza....

yes there are exceptions. like vegan/gluten free pizza or "don't look at me!! types" but typically even when bad, both are still pretty good.

ppl shouldn't hold so tight to the "it isn't original gits, they changed it and she's white!". whatever! don't be so hung on the original.

I firmly believe those hung up on the race issue don't really get GitS.

With the sheer amount of info that the Manga had in the sides of the panels, and the insane amount of dialogue added to Stand Alone Complex just to give people the info they'd need to understand the story, this is going to have to be dumbed down seriously to fit into a Hollywood movie run time in the theatre.

The original manga is a "hard read". (I needed a magnifier to read all the notes in the margins) The first two GitS movies are also hard-reads. Stand Alone Complex is also a hard-read. Which is to say, they're hard to digest and understand on the first view. And I've already accepted that the movie will not fall into that basket, and will be closer to the police procedural that GitS is at its core. You hope for Blade Runner, and pray it's not Robocop.

Which is a shame, since there seems to be a thirst for harder-to-read sci-fi content. (Ex Machina, Arrival, Westworld, The Expanse) Maybe if the movie's successful, they'll throw something harder at us for GitS 2.

Not sure I like the new Frankenstein origin story they seem to be going for... Several lines said in the trailer make is seem like they are tossing several key elements out the window. :(

At least I got to play around in the real life GITS universe...

I only watched the two movies and the first episode of the latest series. The first movie was good, second too abstract for me. Felt too much like an art film. The TV series episode I watched was utter gibberish.

I hope the live action will be styled after the first movie, but I believe I already see a big departure from the story. In the first full length trailer it is mentioned that she "was dying" and remade to save people. If I am not mistaken, all her upgrades were voluntary in the original manga, movies and spin of series. So it seems like there is a lot of re-telling done. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but not sure that it needed to have been changed. But maybe I am mistaken.

I do like the visual references to the original film though. Hopefully there are some unique action scenes, because most of what we've seen so far were scenes in the first movie.

every iteration of motoko has been very different from the source manga and each other. shes almost a different character in each version but she's always been a cyborg(standard shell, custom internals). so even that can justify the difference with scarlett playing her and it looks like its stickin to the original movies premise, not the manga or SAC.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motoko_Kusanagi

Just watched it again... looks PG-13 to me by todays standards.

Remember, Robocop remake, the Expendables 3, World War Z, and Dark Knight were all PG-13.

Uhg, you were right, movie is pg-13 afterall. I'll still see it unless the film ranks like 50% on rottentomatoes or something because I love how they faithfully recreated the GITS scenery but all hope is lost for a gritty violent sci-fi film.

Back