"Ghastly" EA new drm

Well as a PC enthusiast I own a HTPC in my living room mainly for watching Twitch.tv, not one but 2 laptops, and of course a gaming PC. I am the only PC user in my home. I don't think that I'm a unique snowflake. I could only imagine if I had a couple of kids how many more devices I would have.

I can't find the hay in my statement. :D

Well you *are* fairly unique in terms of EA's typical customer. Also, do we know if this DRM remembers the hardware ID's you've used in the past 24hrs and doesn't count subesquent uses from those ID's against the cap? If you have 5 computers then that can count for, at maximum, 5 uses during any 24hr period? Or could you reach the maximum just by switching from one computer to another and then back(and repeating that as necessary)?

I have no issues with this. I don't know why everyone is bitching, companies have been doing this for years in the name of "Piracy" (In one form or another)

My Origin account itself has been fine, I have had no issues with the service. BF4 and SimCity launch issues are another thread in their own right, but I digress...

I have no issues with this. I don't know why everyone is bitching, companies have been doing this for years in the name of "Piracy" (In one form or another)

Because anytime the letters "DRM" are seen together somewhere on the internet people begin sobbing uncontrollably.

Surprising. I thought they learned when they went to Origin; the point was to make the games purely rely on Origin much like Steam games without 3rd party DRM. It worked well for those games.

Now they're going back to their limited activation crap. Glad I didn't buy into Hardline. Hopefully they reverse this decision and remove it from all current and upcoming games.

Not an issue for me but can see how a person with multiple PCs will have problems. Either way, I don't think anything good is going to be released from EA anytime soon since they blew their load last year and Hardline is already out.

Fucks given. Zero for now.

So is it fine that we have to login to an Origin account to authenticate that we own this library of games, but when we launch a game it says that we are thieves because we played it on multiple PCs during the day? Then what is the point in Origin if we're stuck at CD authentication practices?

All the system SHOULD do is send you an authentication code to your email or cellphone to verify that it's you on multiple PCs if the system thinks your Origin account is stolen. What the EA system is doing is telling the consumer that they are account sharing so here is a 24 hour timeout. Bad consumer! Slap on the wrist!

It's a blame the customer system. What happened to the old adage "The customer is always right." in retail? When are companies going to realize that they can get better press and mind share from catering to their customer's ever changing needs rather than slapping handcuffs on them?

Maybe I'm one of those not so smart people that is blind to the consumer benefits of this practice. Could someone please explain how getting locked out of a game for changing my hardware in the "Must authenticate / sign into a digital service to play" digital downloads era is beneficial to me?

Do you change your hardware 5+ times on a daily basis? No? Do you play on 5 different PC's every single day? No? Did it ever call you a thief anywhere? No?

I'm not saying EA or Origin are doing everything right, but in this instance it's just a "fuck EA because fuck EA" type of argument.

I am so over this company. I don't care what they release, I don't want any part of them OR their shitty Origin service.

What's funny is people will keep buying their shit. So everyone here complaining about this is the minority.

Yup. I have boycotted EA for years now but I guess people do not care or like taking it up the backdoor. So long as people keep buying, they have no incentive to change.

Big deal, if I bought the game and the DRM shut the game off , EA support would fix it in less than an hour. Unlike Steam, which is on day 15 of not answering my ticket.

I've only bought DRM free games for a long time now. Have been happier for it. Haven't had to deal with this crap.

Do you change your hardware 5+ times on a daily basis? No? Do you play on 5 different PC's every single day? No? Did it ever call you a thief anywhere? No?

I'm not saying EA or Origin are doing everything right, but in this instance it's just a "fuck EA because fuck EA" type of argument.

I have played on multiple PCs in one day. To be exact I do it all of the time as when I cook, I'm on the living room PC mostly watching Twitch. I'm on one of my laptops, tablets, or cellphone when I'm in the bathroom mostly reading. One has a snazzy AMD APU that I can play stuff like Bastion on. I can even fire up BF4 on it if I want a slideshow. And when I retire to my bedroom I'm on my gaming desktop. When I have to stay overnight for a doctor's appointment a laptop, phone, and tablet comes with me.

So yes, I'm on those devices daily. Do I play games on all of them daily? Not likely. But all I need to do to be flagged and locked out of my Origin is dare to try it. That's ignorant on their part. And not consumer friendly. Also I am already locked out of playing Crysis 1 because of Securom DRM. I bought the game from Amazon as soon as there was a pack with Warhead. Never seen the game run once in my life. And I'm over exaggerating the situation? Why would I want to go from authentication DRM back to the same DRM that has locked me out of playing a game that I paid for years ago? When your service says I can't play a game that I own because of DRM is that not implying that I stole it? What other reason would they lock me out of Crysis 1? Because they appreciate me as a customer?

I mean did you think I would own multiple devices and not use them? And yes, I like to swap sound cards, video cards, etc from time to time for fun. I have a $200 Asus Phoebus sound card I like to toy with whenever they release new drivers. Personally I like the Creative Sound Blaster Zx currently installed for general use, but the Phoebus sounds better with music by a long shot. So I swap them out from time to time.

I have HD7950 Crossfire, a couple of Nvidia low end specials, and GTX 460 SLi sitting on my desk. I gave away my GTX 570 and GTX 670. I'm looking at 5TB hard drives as soon as they reach the price that I like. I almost scored a deal on a 500GB SSD last month. I love that type of thing. Upgrading my PC is my hobby. Kinda the main reason why I hang out on this website. It used to be car stereo.

Funny thing is that I swap gear and reinstall Windows so much that Microsoft does the same thing. But all I have to do is call an automated number, enter my installation code, and I get an activation code immediately. Why can't EA do the same for their customers? I've called EA's support center in India so much that they started knowing me by name trying to get Crysis working.

So yes, I have a bone to pick!

So for the folks that bought the game... one solution is to grab the "leaked" version and install it if they want to be able to swap hardware frequently. EA pushes games to become pirates.

Granted you wouldn't be able to play MP but it's just an example of how stupid moves like this end up pushing people towards doing stuff like this.

Actually I think he stated his points quite clearly and is not foaming at the mouth with, "EA iz ev1l!!!" reactions.

Microsoft has already been doing this with windows since the "glory be to praise god" 7 that no one wants to give up. Too many hardware changes invalidates the key.

Fail to see how this is any worse because EA is doing it.

EA is just salivating about Adobe and Autodesk having yearly/monthly fees to use their software, don't think they aren't trying to come up with a way to apply that towards games.

Adobe has also made it more expensive and restrictive to upgrade the software if you don't switch to the subscription model.

Which is why at the office we haven't upgraded most of our Adobe software for the past 2 years.
Instead we are finding other software we can make due with, and only a few key people are still using the 2-3 year old adobe software.

Because of this Adobe has receive much less money from our company.

VMware seems to be following in their footsteps. We bought a bunch of upgrades to VMware 10, and then they announced version 11 a week later (we hadn't even received the upgrade licenses yet). Unlike past upgrades, there was no free upgrade to the new version for people who bought the existing version within the past 30 days. Because of this we will not be upgrading our VMware licenses again. Instead we are now looking into switching to Hyper-V (probably when Window 10 comes out). VMware will be losing over 40 licenses because of their short sited decisions.

I don't get the surprise. That's one of the reasons they made origin and pulled their stuff from Steam. They wanted a bigger piece of the pie but they also wanted more control over the rentals you "purchased". Most company's wet dreams involve you paying every time you use the product or a monthly fee. EA is just salivating about Adobe and Autodesk having yearly/monthly fees to use their software, don't think they aren't trying to come up with a way to apply that towards games. The first steps are already here BTW, it's keywords are "cloud" and "stream". In a few years they are probably going to try to charge a monthly to access your account or extra features of your account to start. Kind of like PS+ on the PS3. The free account does most things in a basic capacity, but if you want anything else like matchmaking or faster downloads, you have to pay up. The idea will be to introduce those "features" slowly enough for you to begin to accept it without question, then slap on very low fees that they can then increase over time.

Some one gets this dog a biscuit.

Microsoft has already been doing this with windows since the "glory be to praise god" 7 that no one wants to give up. Too many hardware changes invalidates the key.

Comparing an Operating System to a Game. Not even in the same realm.
SMH....

Didn't bother with Anno mainly because of the DRM, won't look at EA titles with this DRM. Simple as that.

So true. My gf and I love the Anno series. Unfortunately, the DRM is so awful that it's a horrendous nightmare to get two PCs up and running with the game. Eventually we just stopped. Now when we get that yearly "It sure would be fun to play Anno"-itch, we just sigh, as if thinking of a long dead friend, then do something else.

There are far too many wonderful entertainment options that do not actively find ways to make your experience miserable. I spend my time and money on those experiences.

Actually I think he stated his points quite clearly and is not foaming at the mouth with, "EA iz ev1l!!!" reactions.

Of course they are reasonable to you. You have never liked EA. If you are playing on 5+ different PCs a day then you might have an issue, but realistically this isn't going to affect anyone. This is also for each game, so you can play 10 different games on 10 different PCs and you won't even get the notification. Also OP twisted what's actually happening(maybe the fault of the original article). You don't use up any activations here, you just get locked out from that game for 24 hours. Maybe contact EA support if you need to increase this limit, they may or may not do it.

Of course they are reasonable to you. You have never liked EA. If you are playing on 5+ different PCs a day then you might have an issue, but realistically this isn't going to affect anyone. This is also for each game, so you can play 10 different games on 10 different PCs and you won't even get the notification. Also OP twisted what's actually happening(maybe the fault of the original article). You don't use up any activations here, you just get locked out from that game for 24 hours. Maybe contact EA support if you need to increase this limit, they may or may not do it.

What does that have to do with my opinion of EA? (Which I have not even spoken about in this thread)
All I said is he stated his problem quite eloquently compared to what you seem to think he's doing in this thread. I understand his point of view quite clearly, which is all I was bringing focus on.

It looks like EA wants to keep up in being worst company and will not let Ubi take their place. According to Guru3d, they put activation limit. And yes, changing even one piece of hardware lowers your activation number. You put more memory, you are a pirate... And how dare you put new gpu in your system, you thief. Guru3d people write, that to properly test gpu setting on various cards, they would need 3 accounts. And imagine keeping this game as benchmark for hardware side...

Source: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ea-infects-battlefield-hardline-with-new-ghastly-drm.html

What does that have to do with my opinion of EA? (Which I have not even spoken about in this thread)
All I said is he stated his problem quite eloquently compared to what you seem to think he's doing in this thread. I understand his point of view quite clearly, which is all I was bringing focus on.

Reread the quote and maybe my entire post rather than just bits of it, but I'll repeat myself for you. He talks about an activation limit, which this is not. He instantly comes to the conclusion that EA thinks anyone changing PC's is a pirate (quite a leap there). So I'm not sure how that is reasonable.

The only reason I mentioned your opinion of EA is because it will affect how you see this article. That's true for anyone in this thread. I really don't need to spell it out why this is true.

Reread the quote and maybe my entire post rather than just bits of it, but I'll repeat myself for you. He talks about an activation limit, which this is not. He instantly comes to the conclusion that EA thinks anyone changing PC's is a pirate (quite a leap there). So I'm not sure how that is reasonable.

The only reason I mentioned your opinion of EA is because it will affect how you see this article. That's true for anyone in this thread. I really don't need to spell it out why this is true.

I think we have misconstrued each others arguments, I was talking about cageymaru's posts and not the OP. I didn't really see a tangible argument from the OP statements.

As has already been mentioned, it's a click bait article meant to instill fear where there is none. Change hardware 5 times in a 24 hour period and you get locked out for 24 hours. I can understand if you review hardware, but for the rest of us it's harmless.

This is pretty much it. There's a lot of undue hate towards Hardline. I'm certainly not saying it's perfect, but like certain other games lately, it feels more people just want to get on a bandwagon to spout out idiocy. There are times when companies deserve the hate they receive, but this isn't one of them.

This +1

Just yesterday my motherboard LAN adaptor failed and instantly windows un-activated itself because "this product key is already being used on another PC". Had to use a TELEPHONE and ask a guy in India if he could please let me use the copy of Windows I paid for again.

I doubt there would be many people boycotting Microsoft over this issue. You need Windows to play games you enjoy so you put up with it. I need Origin/EA to play their games I get a lot of enjoyment from so I put up with it.

All you EA haters need to chill because this is nothing new.

/click bait

I'm wondering who this DRM is designed to stop from cheating EA out of their money. I can think of a few cases where you might concievably hit this limit by changing hardware and computers a bit, but who is sharing one origin account with more than 5 people in one day? Unless I'm reading this wrong.

I'm wondering who this DRM is designed to stop from cheating EA out of their money. I can think of a few cases where you might concievably hit this limit by changing hardware and computers a bit, but who is sharing one origin account with more than 5 people in one day? Unless I'm reading this wrong.

It's mainly another redundancy check for anti-piracy.

Hasn't stopped them yet. They've been doing this shit for 6 years now and you keep buying their games. Obviously it isn't a big deal to the majority of you.

People said the same about Steam. :)

but ya this looks like it doesn't harm anyone besides benchmarkers. Who could probably get a bigger activation window if they asked EA. There support is quite good.

Is there a lot of account sharing going on with Origin? I can't think of any other reason to include this type of DRM.

It seems the crew at Blue's News was able to get a comment from EA on the whole Battlefield Hardline DRM brouhaha. The bottom line? You can install the game on five different machines in a 24 hour period. After that, you need to call customer support

EA's rep for the game Jino Talens explains that the game allows installation on five different machines per 24 hour period, and that anyone who actually changes hardware often enough to use all those activations can be accommodated by customer service. "Origin authentication allows players to install a game on up to five different PCs every 24 hours," he explains. "Players looking to benchmark more than five hardware configurations in one 24 hour period can contact our Customer Support team who can help."

People can share their accounts with multiple people. It's done with Netflix and Steam, so why not Origin? Think of it like this, you get four other friends to give you about $15 and you buy the game and share it with them. You're not always going to be playing the game and they may have different work hours than your other friends. So the game can be easily shared.

I've actually ran into this problem with Mass Effect on Origin. I was trying to run it on Linux through Wine but because I've installed it on so many machines it would block me from the game until I called customer service. As far as EA is concerned I never actually played the game since this was a Steam game that was transferred over to Origin. Did it piss me off, yes it did. Do I like calling customer service to play my game? Hell no!

This is why Valve now allows sharing of games with friends or family cause you're not going to stop this practice.

they shouldn't care at all unless someone is trying to run the game on multiple machines at the same time.

A lot of butt hurt EA haters on this board. 5 activations within 24 hours. People seriously need to activate the game that many times on different machines within 24 hours?! I have origin on my desktop machine, my surface pro 3, and when I lan over at a buddy's place once in a while. Why is everyone getting all bent out of shape when EA is just trying to protect their property?

People can share their accounts with multiple people. It's done with Netflix and Steam, so why not Origin? Think of it like this, you get four other friends to give you about $15 and you buy the game and share it with them. You're not always going to be playing the game and they may have different work hours than your other friends. So the game can be easily shared.

I've actually ran into this problem with Mass Effect on Origin. I was trying to run it on Linux through Wine but because I've installed it on so many machines it would block me from the game until I called customer service. As far as EA is concerned I never actually played the game since this was a Steam game that was transferred over to Origin. Did it piss me off, yes it did. Do I like calling customer service to play my game? Hell no!

This is why Valve now allows sharing of games with friends or family cause you're not going to stop this practice.

But then they can't play at the same time, that's a big hassle.

A lot of butt hurt EA haters on this board. 5 activations within 24 hours. People seriously need to activate the game that many times on different machines within 24 hours?! I have origin on my desktop machine, my surface pro 3, and when I lan over at a buddy's place once in a while. Why is everyone getting all bent out of shape when EA is just trying to protect their property?

One, it's not their property. You bought it and it's yours. It's like buying a Super Nintendo game and running to all your friends houses to show it off by sticking it in their machines. Opps, game is blocked because this is the 5th Nintendo system you put the game in.

Secondly, got forbid you had an issue with the game and maybe tried it on different friends machines cause it kept crashing on yours or something. Maybe you went out and bought 5 new pieces of hardware just to play this game.

So now that we've established this for like the gazilionth time - will you people please stop giving these assholes money? Please?.......... Cause you know.. if you buy battlefield 8 because you like it's pretty pixels, then this shit continues. Do you fucking understand this? Thank you. Thats all

For me and you, not a real issue. I generally load a steam or Origin game on two machines, max.

The deal here is mostly for benchmarking, like at Hard or Guru3d where the guys load up 6 or 12 GPUs and maybe different combos of CPUs to test out the performance, then compile that.

That's the biggest pain.

For me and you, not a real issue. I generally load a steam or Origin game on two machines, max.

The deal here is mostly for benchmarking, like at Hard or Guru3d where the guys load up 6 or 12 GPUs and maybe different combos of CPUs to test out the performance, then compile that.

That's the biggest pain.

Read the post above made by Steve. Unlike Steam, Origin actually has customer service that doesn't take 20 years to respond. For all the shit people give Origin and its customer service, at least you have an option to get an answer in a relatively short time.

looks like this really comes downto benchmarking issue, talk about over inflated complaining
Bluesnews said:
There's a follow-up on One Angry Gamer to the recent report that multiple hardware changes to a computer with Battlefield Hardline installed caused the game's DRM to deactivate the game's installation. EA's rep for the game Jino Talens explains that the game allows installation on five different machines per 24 hour period, and that anyone who actually changes hardware often enough to use all those activations can be accommodated by customer service. "Origin authentication allows players to install a game on up to five different PCs every 24 hours," he explains. "Players looking to benchmark more than five hardware configurations in one 24 hour period can contact our Customer Support team who can help."

Back