GFWL Removed: Arkham Asylum & Arkham City

think someone should start an official GFWL thread to have info on where to go for patches to removed GFWL on other games and etc, especially those that are not on steam?

For example I'm wondering what will become of my Gears of War and Halo 2 games :D

Yes. Once GFWL shuts down, (unpatched) games that use it won't work.

Welcome to the wonderful world of tying your software to Microsoft's whims. #onlyidiots

Would I be able to activate it on steam after that?

I bought batman : ac on origin, has anyone got any info on whether my key will work with steam or if origin is going to patch it to remove gfwl from the install...

My key is not working yet - it was a free key with the Samsung SSD.
I had one of those Samsung SSD keys and gave it to a friend. If I remember correctly, the key they give you is not a GFWL key, it's something else that you use to redeem the game. If it hasn't expired, redeem the game and I suspect that it should come with a GFWL key. That GFWL key is what will likely register the game to your Steam account but people are reporting that the registering process isn't working so you probably need to wait on that.

I bought batman : ac on origin, has anyone got any info on whether my key will work with steam or if origin is going to patch it to remove gfwl from the install...
Probably just like Bioshock 2, as long as you have a GFWL key then you can register the GFWL key with Steam and it should add the game to your account whenever they get the key redemption process functional.

Supposedly retail keys (I think Origin uses retail keys) don't work yet for Arkham City and Steam is looking into it. I've tried my Origin key everyday and it hasn't worked yet.

I had one of those Samsung SSD keys and gave it to a friend. If I remember correctly, the key they give you is not a GFWL key, it's something else that you use to redeem the game. If it hasn't expired, redeem the game and I suspect that it should come with a GFWL key. That GFWL key is what will likely register the game to your Steam account but people are reporting that the registering process isn't working so you probably need to wait on that.

TY I will give that a try.

Supposedly retail keys (I think Origin uses retail keys) don't work yet for Arkham City and Steam is looking into it. I've tried my Origin key everyday and it hasn't worked yet.
I'm guessing that keys bought from anywhere other than Steam are considered "retail". Come to think of it, Steam knows all GFWL keys for games it sales since they provide that info so those are probably the only ones that work.

I tried a key from my actual GFWL store purchase and it's not recognized.

what so any game that uses g4wl if u have it legal bought will not work now?

what so any game that uses g4wl if u have it legal bought will not work now?

Its case by case, depending on the game. You have to hope they patch-removed it or patched it for Steam. And in the case of some games where the developer doesn't appear to be doing anything, there may be a community mod/hack to remove it - example the "GFWL Disabler" for Fallout 3 on nexusmods.

Viva la Microsoft abandonware.

Find your save files, likely in Eidos or WB Games folder in your Documents folder, and use a tool to convert them.

I used this: http://steamcommunity.com/app/35140/discussions/0/792924412084641813/

There are instructions for using a hex editor, but people created tools that automate the process and they seem safe.

I can confirm that AA & AC work with modified saves. Additionally, I had to make a new game for AC & replace the new save with what I modified. Now I haven't lost any progress. :D

Retail keys still not working.....makes me wonder if they are dragging their feet in the hope that people cave and rebuy them on steam whilst they are still on sale.

So, for the people that got patches - how did that work exactly? Were they huge or fairly minor? Did your game just mysteriously become the GOTY version afterward?
I'm curious how other games are going to handle this. Looking at what I have installed, the only other GFWL games I have are Dirt 3, GTA4, and Dark Souls.
I had AA on Steam from a couple years ago but when I built a new computer I never reinstalled it due to God Awful GFWL. I bought AC yesterday when it went on sale on Steam and after reading this thread, I see both (not yet installed) are GOTY editions. Nice. :)

4 days later and my Arkham Asylum retail key still shows up as 'invalid'...I'm not a conspiracy nut but I'm starting to think that maybe Steam was pushing their Arkham sales over the weekend versus trying to fix this issue

4 days later and my Arkham Asylum retail key still shows up as 'invalid'...I'm not a conspiracy nut but I'm starting to think that maybe Steam was pushing their Arkham sales over the weekend versus trying to fix this issue

Just keep opening support tickets. They will have to address it.

It's probably just people waiting for paperwork and signed legal documents in order to transfer things over to steam.

FYI I purchased mine through Origin, and I just checked and it activated on Steam... Upgraded to GOTY edition

Last edited:
Sweet! Thanks for the heads up. I was going to check it this morning but I forgot about it.

This was a great PR move.. Not only ridding of that awful GFWL but upgrading everyone to the GOTY edition for nothing. If only all things went this smoothly in the game industry.

a week and a half after this announcement was made and my Arkham Asylum retail key is still not valid on Steam...unbelievable!

Finally was able to redeem my retail Arkham City key, still waiting on my Arkham Asylum key to work!

2.5 weeks after this announcement was made and my Arkham Asylum retail key is still not valid on Steam!...I'm a patient guy but c'mon this is ridiculous...why did they make the announcement so soon if things were not fully ready...and how long could it possibly take to add the keys to Steam!

some people had luck e-mailing WBGames support but I tried that and never got a response back

I contacted Steam Support and still no resolution to my Arkham Asylum retail key issue...

"Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

We are aware of the issue some users are experiencing when attempting to register CD keys (retail, GFWL, etc) and are investigating this issue further with the publisher. We thank you for your patience"

I contacted Steam Support and still no resolution to my Arkham Asylum retail key issue...

We are aware of the issue some users are experiencing when attempting to register CD keys (retail, GFWL, etc) and are investigating this issue further with the publisher. We thank you for your patience"

Patience is waiting a day or two.. You're weeks in and not only is it not resolved, they are actually admitting the problem exists. The least they could do is give you a complimentary key for something as a peace offering while you wait.

You need to go into beast mode.. That's completely unacceptable.

Patience is waiting a day or two.. You're weeks in and not only is it not resolved, they are actually admitting the problem exists. The least they could do is give you a complimentary key for something as a peace offering while you wait.

If it's not Steam's fault how will throwing a tantrum like a child help? Most likely the fault lays all the way back in Microsoft's hands.

yeah I'm going to e-mail them back and complain about the long wait

the conspiracy theorist in me is thinking that because the current Humble Bundle deal includes both Arkham Asylum and Arkham City GOTY, maybe Steam wants people to pay another $1-$5 to gain access to the games...the HB deal expires in another 9 days, so I'll wait till the 8th day and if the retail key issue is still not resolved then I'll just buy the Bundle deal for $1

yeah I'm going to e-mail them back and complain about the long wait

the conspiracy theorist in me is thinking that because the current Humble Bundle deal includes both Arkham Asylum and Arkham City GOTY, maybe Steam wants people to pay another $1-$5 to gain access to the games...the HB deal expires in another 9 days, so I'll wait till the 8th day and if the retail key issue is still not resolved then I'll just buy the Bundle deal for $1

Have you tried talking to WB's support? Maybe they can do something. I don't see any reason WB wouldn't be able to issue you a Steam key for the game.

Yeah... I couldn't redeem the retail code either. So I stopped giving a damn, and bought humble bundle. Never played Fear 2 and 3 though, so for $5 it was quite nice bargain. Replaying the Arkham Asylum now

Have you tried talking to WB's support? Maybe they can do something. I don't see any reason WB wouldn't be able to issue you a Steam key for the game.

I e-mailed WBGames Support 3 times and never heard back...on the Steam forums people mentioned e-mailing them and getting sent new keys but that was right after the GFWL switchover...apparently now they aren't sending out new keys anymore

Well....Damn. Do they have a number you can call?

I haven't tried calling as the CSR's are usually worthless when it comes to actually knowing any real technical information but maybe I'll give them a call next week

If it's not Steam's fault how will throwing a tantrum like a child help? Most likely the fault lays all the way back in Microsoft's hands.

I'm not saying he has to throw a tantrum.. Maybe "beast mode" implied the wrong thing.. I meant be stern and not accept just sitting on his hands..

Regardless of who's fault it is on the back end it's up to Steam to resolve the matter as quickly as possible since they are his point of contact for support on this matter. They are not resolving it quickly and he's being told to go sit on his hands again. I have the patience of a saint but waiting nearly a month to be allowed to play a game I paid for is well beyond most peoples limits.

I'm half tempted to play more Dirt 3 and get some additional achievements before they go away.

You're not alone. Been trying for a couple weeks. Still no go. What I don't understand is when I contacted support I was asked for the key in question which I gave them. You'd think they would just enter the key in a database or something. Not the case.

You're not alone. Been trying for a couple weeks. Still no go. What I don't understand is when I contacted support I was asked for the key in question which I gave them. You'd think they would just enter the key in a database or something. Not the case.

I'm not sure if the key issue is Steam's fault or WB Games but it really shouldn't take this long to fix...I sent Steam support and WB Games support pictures of the game box and manual with CD key but still no fix...I got tired of waiting so I ended up getting a free Arkham Asylum GOTY key from a member here at [H] from the Humble Bundle deal

Back