Votes: 7 20.0%
  • 15/2Mbit for $50 per month

Votes: 26 74.3%
  • 30/5Mbit for $200 per month

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

tiebird321

[H]ard|Gawd
I was wondering if any other [H]'s were getting the new verizon FIOS (fibre to the home) service and what plan you got?
How is the reliability of the data service?
and how much data can u usualy pull down?

i wanted to get it, but they are not yet offering it in my area. its kinda weird though coz the house down the road near me has FIOS installed, and verizon was actually here installing the fiber optics infront of the house a couple of months back.

sweet!!! Fios in now available in my area :D. now what service should i get? would 5Mbps/2Mbps be sufficient for downloading/surfing/online gaming?

Bleed said:
sweet!!! Fios in now available in my area :D. now what service should i get? would 5Mbps/2Mbps be sufficient for downloading/surfing/online gaming?

all 3 at once
though if you want to do heavy downloading (many punters) the 15/2 plan may be better for you
according to the verizon rep i talked to you can switch for free between speeds at any time

you can do that? the first month is free, so i'd try that and see what plan i like :D. i'll be calling them this afternoon to see if that have some kind of package since i already use verizon for my land line.

Not in my area yet but I'm all over it when it comes here.

Definately going with the 15/2 for $50.

Anyone have any information from Verizon concerning target markets and timing?? I live near Indy and from what I've seen I'll be switching first chance!

400+whpwrx said:
30/5 here

im moving to a part of MD that has it so i can get the damn crap..

now that's [H] :p

Stuck with slow ass DSL or Cable up here in Idaho. :)

Code:
Verizon Fios Internet Service is not currently available at your address. Our network is continually being expanded, and we don't want you to miss the opportunity to get this state-of-the-art Internet service
Dang verizon just owned me, im so sad but i dont know if my $50 a month is worth uber good internet :rolleyes: Living in a small town is not cool, i only get dsl and cable where im at currently im on dsl :D

When I called months and months ago it wasn't available in my area ...yet...

Another thing, the rep I talked to said that you could only get this if you lived in your own home, renters are SOL due to the way it was set up...

Any truth to that?

I'm I going to have to buy a house to get fiber?

Don't tempt me...

KoZLop said:
Would they allow web servers? or anything on uploading caps?

The TOS for the "home" plans say that you are not allowed to run a server of any type personal or buisness. That a-side (sic), If you have Dyn-DNS working properly you will have no issues running a server except on the blocked port 80 (all my stuff is password protected so it runs on port 81)

Verizon also offers a "buisness" FIOS plan, the only one right now is a 15/2 service with 5 static IP addr's it costs $99 per month. It does NOT have any ports blocked and the TOS specificly gives permission for servers

In the near future they will be offering 30/5 and 5/5(symetric) plans (by the end of this year)

The buisness plans require a 1 year contract, they will let consumers switch to the buisness plans if they wish.

Usage on the service is not monitored, however i have been told by a verizon level 3 technician that the routers they use ave a flatrate system in effect. so the more you use the lower you are on the priority list. the system has such a huge and upgradeble backbone that he doupted anyone is ever going to run into a slowdown.

dolphumous said:
Another thing, the rep I talked to said that you could only get this if you lived in your own home, renters are SOL due to the way it was set up...

Any truth to that?

I'm I going to have to buy a house to get fiber?

Don't tempt me...

As long as they have full access to all parts of the house they do not care. I was never asked if i was renting or not, The only rule is if your ordering and you want the phone lines switched over to the fibre line you must be the person as named on the bill. if you dont care about having the lines switched over it does not matter. my neighbor rents and he is haveing his FIOS install done next week.

tiebird321 said:
The TOS for the "home" plans say that you are not allowed to run a server of any type personal or buisness. That a-side (sic), If you have Dyn-DNS working properly you will have no issues running a server except on the blocked port 80 (all my stuff is password protected so it runs on port 81)

Verizon also offers a "buisness" FIOS plan, the only one right now is a 15/2 service with 5 static IP addr's it costs $99 per month. It does NOT have any ports blocked and the TOS specificly gives permission for servers

In the near future they will be offering 30/5 and 5/5(symetric) plans (by the end of this year)

The buisness plans require a 1 year contract, they will let consumers switch to the buisness plans if they wish.

Usage on the service is not monitored, however i have been told by a verizon level 3 technician that the routers they use ave a flatrate system in effect. so the more you use the lower you are on the priority list. the system has such a huge and upgradeble backbone that he doupted anyone is ever going to run into a slowdown.

As long as they have full access to all parts of the house they do not care. I was never asked if i was renting or not, The only rule is if your ordering and you want the phone lines switched over to the fibre line you must be the person as named on the bill. if you dont care about having the lines switched over it does not matter. my neighbor rents and he is haveing his FIOS install done next week.

They block port 80.... no big deal, do they block any other ports? Do, they block port 21? It's not a big deal because you can just rin the servers on a different port but I was just wondering.

theTIK said:
They block port 80.... no big deal, do they block any other ports? Do, they block port 21? It's not a big deal because you can just rin the servers on a different port but I was just wondering.
No other ports are blocked on the "home" plans

Going from 5mbit to 15mbit is a big deal, and for only $10 more, looks well worth it to me. But like most other people here on the [H] its like:
ya, I wish it was in my area...

Its not available here, Probaly never will be.......( I live in the mountains of PA :) )

But if it comes here, Id go for the 15/2

omigosh, if the 100$ 5 static ip plan ever comes to my house (verizon is my phone and isp but fios is not available right now) im going to jump on that.

**bummer, i just spoke with someone at verizon and there are no plans to bring FIOS to my part of VA. maybe in a few years or so.**

Update:
switched to the 15/2 plan

actual speed test from flint michigin
14.8 down
1.87up

curently using BT on a linux ISO (lots of peers and seeds)
getting over 1200K/s down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
with 128K/s up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

soooo amazing... :D :D

Here in Tampa, I was hoping they would lay it soon.

They dropped orange flags in my front yard but never dug! Damn them for tempting me so!

i just signed up to have mine installed :D. im getting sick of comcast always having DNS problems.

i wish bell would get off their ass and get somethign like this going! Canadain DSL is weak sauce, and the phone lines in my part of the city are old :(

I live in Tampa and they already put the lines in the ground. When I called, they say its not available in my area. I wonder what gives.

The business plan is so tempting, I wonder how well a CS server would run. I am tired of paying the other people for a server. And a dedicated sounded good, accept the fact the box is not anywhere near you. I would love to have the server running right next to me.

just got mine installed this afternoon! YEAH!!!!!

14.9 down
1.8 up

sweet :D!!!

im in Silver Spring MD.

lucky ass, silver spring is the sanctuary of maryland. i live right up from the city. baltimore city is one of the biggest pieces of shit in the USA

Damn - I'm in NH and they only offer FIOS/FTTP in 4 towns - none of which are mine. But naked DSL is on it's way! No more having to pay Verizon for phone service.

Bleed said:
just got mine installed this afternoon! YEAH!!!!!

14.9 down
1.8 up

sweet :D!!!

im in Silver Spring MD.
silver spring gets everything before baltimore county, cuz ur county has more cash than fuckin billgates, n u r so close to dc.

Back