Getting the wireless card on an eMachines M6805/7 to work with 108mbps super g?

Eric1285

[H]ard|Gawd
I think I read somewhere, on one of the many forums I browse, that it was possible to get the 802.11g card in the eMachines laptops to work with the new 108mbps routers. I just bought a Netgear Super G router, which has this feature, and I was wondering if anyone could find any info on this. I've done a few basic google searches with no real results. 108mbps transfer would be amazing if we could get our laptops to run it.

itll connect at 54g.

but really. 108 isnt much faster than 54. maybe like 30 real mbits vs 24

108 gets around 35 I read. I think actual throughput is usually 30-35% of advertised rate, so 54G would put out less than 20. Makes a pretty big difference if you're transferring several gigabytes of data.

You won't be able to connect at the full speed that your router offers. I'm pretty sure that on most boxes that advertise speeds faster than 54g that you have to be using the corresponding wireless card.

super g doesn't work with the emachines built-in network card, iirc.

in order for super G to work (if you have a dlink routeR) is that you have to first of all

1) upgrade to all latest firmware and drivers for card and router
2) enable superG in drivers on laptop
3) enable super G static turbo on dlink router
4) try and connect, windows should say connected at 108 MBITS

You need a minipci card with an Atheros chipset.

i have been researching this issue as well.

I came across this post in the De11 forums:
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_network&message.id=17905

I have also looked online and there are a few stores that sell minipci cards with Atheros chipsets that claim to support SuperG. You have to be careful though, some advertise 108mbps but it's for 802.11a not 802.11g. The newest Atheros chipsets have labelled their 108mbps to ----> SuperG <---- So make sure the chipset is advertising SuperG and not Turbo mode. You can even go to the Atheros site and it lists the minipci manufacturers that are producing SuperG versions.

I think I might just try to get the Netgear WG311 like the De11 post mentions and give it a try since it's cheap enough for an experiment.

Good luck!

Back