Getting the upgrade bug

Nasty_Savage

Fully [H]
Currently using 3 780's running three 37" 1080p monitors. Love nVision surround. Some games are starting to put a dent in performance, like ARK. I am starting to wonder if I should do a complete overhaul, from current to socket 2011 v3 (maybe octocore) but I'm looking at what's supposed to be coming down the pipe.

What is nVlink? Is this some new type of interface that will replace pci-e? Or is it just for 'super computers'?

Since I've not been paying attention, will two 980's be fine with nsurround? What about 1 Titan-x? Perhaps I'll hold on to this setup and do a stop gap upgrade when the new cards come out, if I didn't go all out with the newest card...

you have plenty of power to spare from the CPU side... for GPU upgrade I would just buy a single aftermarket cooler and high factory OC'd 980TInow and then upgrade later next year with Pascal. you will be better with that compared to what you have...

I'm in the same boat, but those nVidia price cuts don't seem to have made it to Europe yet.
If they don't soon I'm just gonig to wait for a Pascal card.
If they do I will also be getting a 980Ti

Broadwell-E is around the corner, and Pascal is rumored to be releasing Q1 next year, so I would wait for a few months and build a new system.

And yes, NVLink is NVIDIA's proprietary interconnect technology for GPGPU supercomputing clusters.

Broadwell-E is around the corner, and Pascal is rumored to be releasing Q1 next year, so I would wait for a few months and build a new system.

And yes, NVLink is NVIDIA's proprietary interconnect technology for GPGPU supercomputing clusters.

ditto. i think waiting for pascal would be worth while. as for cpu, im in the same boat of wanting to go to x99 but i feel like the 3930k have at least after skylake-e and still be relevant. its the m2/pci-e ssds that making me envious of x99.

I just read that Broadwell-E will still be using the LGA 2011-v3 socket with the X99 chipset, meaning it should work in existing X99 motherboards with a BIOS update. Although I don't know if anyone on Haswell-E would want to jump on Broadwell-E so soon. Still makes a (expensive) stopgap using Haswell-E possible.

ditto. i think waiting for pascal would be worth while. as for cpu, im in the same boat of wanting to go to x99 but i feel like the 3930k have at least after skylake-e and still be relevant. its the m2/pci-e ssds that making me envious of x99.
Everything I've heard regarding Pascal so far suggests it's going to steamroll the 900 series. I would advise anyone to not buy a GPU right now.

I was under the impression from my buddy that works for Nvidia that it was slated for Q3.

Will have to ask him again if he knows anything....I have been on the fence regarding an upgrade because I dont want to buy the high end last gen card and have it beat by a next gen card right around the corner for the coin it takes to get the 980ti.

I was under the impression from my buddy that works for Nvidia that it was slated for Q3.

Will have to ask him again if he knows anything....I have been on the fence regarding an upgrade because I dont want to buy the high end last gen card and have it beat by a next gen card right around the corner for the coin it takes to get the 980ti.
That's why I said "rumoured." The latest thing I saw was that mass production would start during Q1, which would make a Q2 or Q3 release more likely.

I just read that Broadwell-E will still be using the LGA 2011-v3 socket with the X99 chipset, meaning it should work in existing X99 motherboards with a BIOS update. Although I don't know if anyone on Haswell-E would want to jump on Broadwell-E so soon. Still makes a (expensive) stopgap using Haswell-E possible.

I just read that today too:

"The Broadwell-E processors will have full support on the existing X99 platform that consists of LGA 2011-3 socket based motherboards and DDR4 memory compatibility.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/intel-broadwelle-scheduled-launch-q1-2016-feature-8-6-core-skus-retaining-support-x99-platform/#ixzz3tRHs3LMO" This website implies that the high end Broadwell-E will be an 8 core cpu.

But these crazy guys are saying the "6950x" is rumored to have 10!

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...ore-broadwell-e-processors-with-25mb-l3-cache

Who knows.

Currently using 3 780's running three 37" 1080p monitors. Love nVision surround. Some games are starting to put a dent in performance, like ARK. I am starting to wonder if I should do a complete overhaul, from current to socket 2011 v3 (maybe octocore) but I'm looking at what's supposed to be coming down the pipe.

What is nVlink? Is this some new type of interface that will replace pci-e? Or is it just for 'super computers'?

Since I've not been paying attention, will two 980's be fine with nsurround? What about 1 Titan-x? Perhaps I'll hold on to this setup and do a stop gap upgrade when the new cards come out, if I didn't go all out with the newest card...

2 x 980 ti's would be great. (With your build, it does not look like cost is too much of a concern. ;) ) Enjoy the newer cards well you can. :)

So if I go x99, the new Pascal doesn't have a proprietary connection? It will still be pci-e? I guess that's where I'm confused...

Back