Getting the hair on the back of your neck to stand up...

Pinipig523

[H]ard|Gawd
You guys got a sure fire way to get the hairs on the back of your neck to stand up?

For me, it's always All American Rejects "It Ends Tonight" (acoustic). Of course there are many others, but every time I hear this song on my system and when I'm actually critically listening, I always feel my tiny hairs stand up.

Spooky actually.

:eek:

Ooh good song, especially the acoustic version.

John Mayer - Gravity
Bush - Out Of This World
Barcelona - Please Don't Go

.. to name a few. all three are quite amazing songs and tend to make my hairs stand on end when really listening.

Neat thread... it's funny, the music stated is really "audiophile-approved" music, I grabbed "Pinipig523" song off Napster to try it out and you can literally hear the strings being pulled.

Side note: God I love Napster

Anyhoo, I've got some picks.

Daddy Yankee --> Coraza Divina (great rythmical song), reggaeton

Turbulence --> Sorry (HOT smooth reggae song), reggae

Tessanne --> Hide Away (another smooth track, slow for the first minute or two, but really finishes with a bang, great drums), reggae

Christina Aguillera (yes I'm a homo) --> The right man (if I want to test how easy a speaker can pick apart a huge orchestra, this is my pick. it swells with momentum until the big finish), power ballad

Suscribed... look forward to discovering some new music.

Neat thread... it's funny, the music stated is really "audiophile-approved" music, I grabbed "Pinipig523" song off Napster to try it out and you can literally hear the strings being pulled.

Suscribed... look forward to discovering some new music.

Glad you liked my song... it does get the hair up.... yikes! I'm also going to subscribe to this thread and hope that more add their 2 cents and songs. :D;)

I mean this is why we all hang out in the audio section, right? If it weren't for the music, it'd be pointless to debate which system is good and blah blah blah...

Andy McKee- Art of Motion
In my mind, the emotions in his music are very john mayer, but his skill is what john mayer's could have been.

Any song by World Leader Pretend will do it for me,

Gypsy Eyes (jimi cover)- Turtle Island String Quartet

Delicacy- Greg Howe, Victor Wooten, Dennis Chambers

I don't know.

Ninja Edit: actually, I do. Any song off of the requiem for a dream remix soundtrack.

Edit 2: Oooh, 4th of July by Soundgarden

Probably should rename thread to something a little more descriptive... might get more fellow music lovers in here.

Frankly, I'm surprised not many are listing their fave songs that really get to them. I figured being an audio subforum, there'd be a lot more than a few.

Eels: Last Stop: This Town, Bad News, Fresh Feeling, Grace Kelly Blues, Daisies of the Galaxy, Love of the Loveless
Rilo Kiley: A Man/Me/Then Jim
The Shins: New Slang, Caring is Creepy
Willy Mason: Fear No Pain
The Capricorns: The New Sound
Two Gallants: Las Cruces Jail, Steady Rollin'
Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins: Melt your Heart, You Are What You Love
Leonard Cohen: Chelsea Hotel No. 2
Tegan and Sarah: I Can't Take It
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds: Into my Arms
Warren Zevon: The French Inhaler, Mohammed's Radio
The Saw Doctors: Share the Darkness, Never Mind the Strangers

Big list. Big care.

Life Is Beautiful by Sixx AM.

Let me think there are more I just have to come up with them.

Post the genre when your postin. Some of these bands I've never heard of and wouldn't mind youtubing if I knew it was in some form of music I like (god I hate country, it and P-diddy talking about that chick he banged last night are the only types of music I cant stand).

there are a bunch of songs like that for me, only happens when I'm using my sennheisers though (14MHz base ftw. No joke these things go as low as the brown noise).

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb (Favorite song of all time) - psychadellic rock?
Peter Frampton - Shewango Way - Guitar
Joe Satriani - Cool #9 (off Live in San Francisco) - Guitar

Just my current three favorites.

edited in rough genre's. They are all pretty known artists.

Here are two of mine. There are many more, but the Candyrat artists don't quite get the recognition they deserve.

Spiritual Groove - Antoine Dufour
Ebon Coast - Andy McKee

Post the genre when your postin. Some of these bands I've never heard of and wouldn't mind youtubing if I knew it was in some form of music I like (god I hate country, it and P-diddy talking about that chick he banged last night are the only types of music I cant stand).

there are a bunch of songs like that for me, only happens when I'm using my sennheisers though (14MHz base ftw. No joke these things go as low as the brown noise).

Yeah I agree, and have added the styles in my original post. I get pretty bored with "instruments-only" music, I need some vocals. But just because it's not the genre you normally listen to, doesn't mean you shouldn't try it... I have a penchant for r&b/reggae, but also enjoy the odd alternative song, etc.

Guns n' Roses - November Rain

Emery - Playing with Fire (light rock). I love the intro. drums are so tight.

I'll put some others up later

I'm away from my apt (and my system) right now... and nothing through these macbook speakers are making the little hairs stand up.

some one revive this thread, I need more songs to listen to. I got most of the ones listed so far.

I'll add another, Psycho killer by Talking Heads (rock 80's style)

----------------
Now playing: Paul Wall Ft.Lil Keke - Break Em' Off

Ok since you asked. I'll finish my list.

All songs are some sort of rock unless otherwise mentioned

The whole Sixx Am: The heroin diary's deserves a listen front to back at least once.

3 Doors Down:
Loser
So I Need You.

Alabama (Country)
Angles Among us
Roll on Eighteen Wheeler

Alter Bridge
Rise Today
Blackbird

Big & Rich (Country)
Live This Life
Faster Than Angles Can Fly

Buckcherry
Everything

Charlie Daniels Band(Country)
Still in Saigon
In America

P.O.D
Children Of The Nation

Jason Aldean (Country)
Why

Garth Brooks(Country)
Standing Outside the fire
We Shall be free
Face To Face

That some just from glancing threw my MP3 player as I'm avoiding calc homework so have fun.

Peter Gabriel - Grieve
Almost puts tears into these redneck/geeks eyes. Definitely makes the hair stand up every time!

Ayreon - dawn of a million souls

Mostly Autumn - never the rainbow

Deep Purple - child in time

Pink Floyd - comfortably numb

...just to name a few.

If u ask me some great songs that really sound great are basically any Dave Mathews band song.

Anything by : Atrium Carceri.

Very slow, deep, dark ambient. Best listened too with a pair of good cans.

Pink Floyd: The Dark Side of the Moon.
Burzum - Tomhet
Bathory - Blood Fire Death

Bang Tango - Someone Just Like You

Big Wreck - Look What I Found

Black Label Society - Suicide Messiah

Black Label Society - In My Time Of Dying(excellent remake, Zakk goes Wylde in this one hehe)

Chevelle - An Evening With El Diablo

Ozzy Osbourne - I Don't Wanna Stop

Shinedown - Fake

The Killers - Shadowplay(this gets me everytime, you get more of the effect if you watch the video)

Godley & Creme - Cry(if your down and drinkin, this'll do it)

Kingdom Come - What Love Can Be

Korn - Twisted Transistor

Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend

Montrose - Rock Candy(nothin like some classic headbangin with Sammy Haggar and Ronnie Montrose)

Primer 55 - Loose

Project 86 - One Armed Man

Seven Wiser - Sick

Strata - Piece By Piece

Submersed - Hollow

My hairs never really stand up with songs, but I know the feeling you guys are talking about and there are some great songs listed in here!

A few I like are
"The Prentender" from the Foo Fighters new album
"The Kids Aren't Alright" - The Offspring (I need to find a better quality rip of this one though...the itunes and other downloadable ones dont do it justice)

Its interesting too cause a lot of the songs listed in here are ones that have very clear instrument tracks that do not get just all garbled into one sound. Thats probably (at least in my mind) what the hypothetical "makes your hair" stand up tracks tend to be...very clear instrumentation and good songs :)

Erik Mongrain - Fusions (Love this acoustical song!)
Seatbelts - Goodnight Julia
Seatbelts - Road to the West
Lamb - Angelica
ATB - Illuminated Mind
Buckethead - Ghost part2
Cliff Martinez - First Sleep
Coldplay - Blue Room EP
Grand National - Talk Amongst Yourselves ( :O~~~ )
Ichiko Hashimoto - Dense Blue Water
K-OS - Born to Run
Massive Attack - Black Milk
Michael Schenker - From me with love (another great acoustical song)
Moby - Extreme Ways
Moby - Love of Strings
MuteMath - Chaos
MuteMath - Polite
NIN - Right Where It Belongs
Nujabes - Beat Laments the World
Peace Orchestra - Double Drums
Royksopp - In Space
Royksopp - Don't Go
Thrice - Atlantic

Anything by DJ Shadow and BT, they seem to pay a great deal to how their music 'sounds'...

What I contribute during my lunch break :D

Pink Floyd - On the Turning Away - from A Momentary Lapse of Reason

incredible

The Wall- Floyd. Comfortably numb and Mother.

i had a chance to listen to it through literally a $250,000 stereo at CES- with the two guys who built/engineered the system. They had to unplug it from the wall- it ran on batteries because the wall current fluctuations affected the sound.

It also sounds good through my macbook pro speakers :)

You know what- reading this thread, i realize more and mor e tha t downlaodable audio is not the way to go until they are going to give it to us in a higher quality form than what you can get off a cd.

I rip all my stuff as apple lossless- no compression, no quality loss.

Pinipig523? Do you mind uploading the song? I wanna see what its like.

Back