Getting sound through HDMI with Nvidia 260 and Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatality

aeon

Limp Gawd
My ATI 4850 went out on me recently so I'm using an Nvidia 260 video card. With the Ati card, I had sound going through my hdmi cable just fine, but with the Nvidia card, I'm not getting any sound. I know that I'm suppose to connect a 2 pin connector from my Sound Blaster card to my video card, but I can't seem to find the spdif out on my sound card.

It's a Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion with the O/I front panel. Any idea how I could get this to work?

If it is the one all wrapped up in the black/grey plastic I don't know that they added the 2-pin spdif header since the card already has optical out.

I thought with HDMI you were passing the direct audio stream out of your PC and into whatever receiver you use, and it bypassed the sound card entirely. :confused:

I do believe that the 200-series cards didn't have HDMI audio. My 285GTX came with a 2-pin SPDIF cable that you ran from your sound card or motherboard sound to the video card's 2-pin digital connector and that's how you get sound through the HDMI on your video card.

I never used it but I'm guessing that it's limited to 2-channel PCM or 5.1 dts or Dolby Digital streams.

He needs the jumper, it's going to have the same capabilities as S/PDIF. His problem seems to be finding the pins on the X-Fi to connect to. Looking at a pic I see a set of pins labelled SPDIF IO on the component side of the card at the far rear, above what I assume is the connector for the front panel. I bet it's in there.

Yeah the pins that are labeled spdif are for the front panel.

platinumfatal1tychampio.jpg

Understand?

Do you use spdif on the front panel? You can just use a quick splice.

quick%20splice%20red.jpg

Hmm haven't thought of that, but I'll look into it. Don't really want to splice into both cables though.

I would rather splice cables than have to restart and change a bios setting everytime I wanted hdmi out then have to restart and change it back when i'm done. Have you unplugged that cable to see if maybe it's just crap you don't use on the front panel?

I would rather splice cables than have to restart and change a bios setting everytime I wanted hdmi out then have to restart and change it back when i'm done. Have you unplugged that cable to see if maybe it's just crap you don't use on the front panel?

Actually I can just change it on the spot through playback devices. Just tested it out right now and it works just fine.

Thanks for the suggestions and help though.

I'd splice it, not with a hokey crimpon mind you, I'd use solder. But I'm an electrician and my computer is full of connections like that.

Back