Getting sick of it.

TheNuker

Limp Gawd
I'm really getting sick of computer gaming. It's being to terrible lately that I have no clue to do next. Let me point out what's sickening me so much:

1) Absurd system requirements:
I remember when I got my Athlon XP, it was the 1700 model. Everything from that time ran great. Until last year it was still capable of running almost everything with ease. But early this year I got myself an AMD64 and I was sure it would be like before, enough for at least three years of use, but now I find that my AMD64 3000+ is sooooo outdated for today's standards. Same goes for my GPU. I had a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 until last year. I got it since 2002 and wow how great that card was. Then I got an ATI Radeon x1600 because I couldn't afford more than that (I'm not from the U.S. so stuff is expensive here). It a great card actually despite what most people say and it's still serving me well. But now less than a year since I got it some games already refuse to run properly on it. It seems that if you don't have SLI/Crossfire you are cursed to be left behind.

2) Quantity over quality:
It seems that having top notch graphical quality is all that matters. Gameplay, what's that? History? Replayability? Seriously, what's going on? Every game looks the same. It's always the same plot over and over and over and over......... You are the savior of mankind against the evil universe. RPG's, FPS, RTS. Every game genre has the same base plot. Why can't I be the evil guy for a change?
The last good games I remember playing on PC were Bloodlines and KOTOR. Both with unique plots (although KOTOR just followed the standard SW cliches), but still great games.
Now what about originality. A few weeks ago a was playing a classic Genesis game, Haunted Starring Polterguy. Man, that was fun. The game is from 1993 and it's extremely well detailed. The goal? Scare people at their home using various different objects in the house. There's no other game like that. Heck man, even Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat had more "soul" than today's games. Shinobi anyone? Why don't we get games like that remade with today's eye candy but please, without "improvements". Most of the time I hear about an old formula being improved because the community asked it gives me chill down my spine and I get ready to say goodbye to my beloved game. Imagine a game like Sonic remade, being able to run at supersonic speeds with today's shader technologies.

3) Copy Protections:
Now here's a true end Boss. So many games ruined by it. Rainbow Six Lockdown was one game I was interest, really got my attention, but as soon as I found out it uses StarForce it was an instant NO THANKS for me (please nobody saying that "starforce never did anything bad to me" or "your just a dirty pirate, stfu and leave"). Now the newer versions of Securom are following the same route, getting intrusive, copying stuff to your hdd and registry without your knowledge and to make it even worse you can't delete it without third part apps. Copy protections sometimes even refuse to start the original game you bought in the store 30mins ago!

To sum it up, it's getting to a point where it will die and it won't take long for that to happen. Take PS3 for example and it's new Grand Turismo game. Great quality. You can see that the devs worked their @sses to make it look good. Look at the upcoming Mass Effect from Bioware, also for the console. Jade Empire, a game I'm yet to play, also only for consoles. Computers have to much potential to have great games but nobody seems to use it right. I might just give up and get a console to enjoy good gaming nights again.

I've had a 2.66 P4 and a gig of memory for like 4 years now. I upgrade to a new video card whenever I can get a decent one in the $75-100 range.

Learn to upgrade to stuff with a good price/performance ratio I guess :confused:

PC gaming is never going to die :p In the long run console gaming will just turn into pc gaming.

if you're gettin sick of it, don't bother with it then. thats all we can tell ya lol

it sounds like you cam in late with your upgrades. the a64 3000+ is close to 2 years old now. You didn't list how much ram you are using. 2 gigs is a must for new games to run smooth, especially with older hardware. the x1600 should have some life left in it, but you're not going to be running full AA and AF with it. Also look for those good deals since you aren't on the top edge of upgrading. I've been using my 6800GT for 2 years now with no issues.
It sounds to me like you want to be able to max out all the setting in brand new games on a high resolution and get by with hardware that's getting old. That will never happen.

A lot of people aren't happy with starforce, and we've been voting with our money, the more people who get the word out the better. But companies are so worried that they'll lose thier a$$ on a gamethey're going to extreme measures. I'm not saying you are violating anything here, but it does happen. The next time you see it happen or hear about it from a friend thank them for starforce and for the price of new games.
If I paid all that money to develop a product, no matter how bad it was, I wouldn't want to just leave it open, ask yourself how many burned copies have you seen of starcraft. The old system wasn't working, within a couple days of a new securom or safsdisc there was a bypass for it using image programs. The new system definatly needs tweaks though. It's why they put money in safes, have background checks for people buying guns, speed limits, and age limits for everything. Because people have abused them without limits and now we're left to pay the price.

You see, that's one of the problems. On all replies performance was the only thing considered, with gameplay and originality completely ignored. Tell me please what's the point of gaming then? Running "top" games with everything maxed to brag about it? Seriously, computers games shouldn't be called games anymore then.

TheNuker said:
You see, that's one of the problems. On all replies performance was the only thing considered, with gameplay and originality completely ignored. Tell me please what's the point of gaming then? Running "top" games with everything maxed to brag about it? Seriously, computers games shouldn't be called games anymore then.

Wow, a n o t h e r 'pc vs console' thread......Don't you guys realize this arguement has no resolution? The absoulte bottom line is that PC Gaming and Console Gaming both have pro's and con's. Consoles aren't perfect either, I can't count the number of times my 360 locked up during GOW, fantastic game though. The simple answer is end the thread and stop upgrading your pc and go enjoy your consoles. And those that like their PC gaming can keep playing them as well. I like both so it's the best of both worlds IMO.

im gonna have to agree with you on the "nothing new" premise, i just recently started playing Bloodlines and, WOW is that an amazing game. i would choose it over Oblivion as a matter of fact, there really havent been ana really good games for the PC lately, FEAR was another game that caught my attention (but that wasnt this year). it seems more and more that PC games are getting the short end of the stick, and when devs do make a game for the Pc it sometimes ends up just being a "omg look at those graphix!!".

i dunno how it was before, in regards to PC hardware, but to me it seems like there is a new card or chip or SOMETHING almost every second month, its pretty ridiculous what the hardware developers are trying to shove down the consumers throat and on top of that devs are slacking of more and more on optimization. this doesnt happen for consoles since they only have that one hardware configuration they have to program with.

btw im in no way against Pc or console, i have a pretty good PC (which should IMO last me another 4-5 yrs) and i intend on buyin a PS3 and Wii

TheNuker said:
I'm really getting sick of computer gaming. It's being to terrible lately that I have no clue to do next. Let me point out what's sickening me so much:

I remember when I got my Athlon XP, it was the 1700 model. Everything from that time ran great. Until last year it was still capable of running almost everything with ease. But early this year I got myself an AMD64 and I was sure it would be like before, enough for at least three years of use, but now I find that my AMD64 3000+ is sooooo outdated for today's standards. Same goes for my GPU. I had a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 until last year. I got it since 2002 and wow how great that card was. Then I got an ATI Radeon x1600 because I couldn't afford more than that (I'm not from the U.S. so stuff is expensive here). It a great card actually despite what most people say and it's still serving me well. But now less than a year since I got it some games already refuse to run properly on it. It seems that if you don't have SLI/Crossfire you are cursed to be left behind.

It seems that having top notch graphical quality is all that matters. Gameplay, what's that? History? Replayability? Seriously, what's going on? Every game looks the same. It's always the same plot over and over and over and over......... You are the savior of mankind against the evil universe. RPG's, FPS, RTS. Every game genre has the same base plot. Why can't I be the evil guy for a change?
The last good games I remember playing on PC were Bloodlines and KOTOR. Both with unique plots (although KOTOR just followed the standard SW cliches), but still great games.
Now what about originality. A few weeks ago a was playing a classic Genesis game, Haunted Starring Polterguy. Man, that was fun. The game is from 1993 and it's extremely well detailed. The goal? Scare people at their home using various different objects in the house. There's no other game like that. Heck man, even Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat had more "soul" than today's games. Shinobi anyone? Why don't we get games like that remade with today's eye candy but please, without "improvements". Most of the time I hear about an old formula being improved because the community asked it gives me chill down my spine and I get ready to say goodbye to my beloved game. Imagine a game like Sonic remade, being able to run at supersonic speeds with today's shader technologies.

3) Copy Protections:
Now here's a true end Boss. So many games ruined by it. Rainbow Six Lockdown was one game I was interest, really got my attention, but as soon as I found out it uses StarForce it was an instant NO THANKS for me (please nobody saying that "starforce never did anything bad to me" or "your just a dirty pirate, stfu and leave"). Now the newer versions of Securom are following the same route, getting intrusive, copying stuff to your hdd and registry without your knowledge and to make it even worse you can't delete it without third part apps. Copy protections sometimes even refuse to start the original game you bought in the store 30mins ago!

To sum it up, it's getting to a point where it will die and it won't take long for that to happen. Take PS3 for example and it's new Grand Turismo game. Great quality. You can see that the devs worked their @sses to make it look good. Look at the upcoming Mass Effect from Bioware, also for the console. Jade Empire, a game I'm yet to play, also only for consoles. Computers have to much potential to have great games but nobody seems to use it right. I might just give up and get a console to enjoy good gaming nights again.

i feel you man

time to let it go

do like i did

sell the PC, get a decked out 360 Premium with extra wireless controllers, games, etc..etc...and enjoy gaming without the fuss or hassle, glad i did and never look back

nobody_here said:
i feel you man

time to let it go

do like i did

sell the PC, get a decked out 360 Premium with extra wireless controllers, games, etc..etc...and enjoy gaming without the fuss or hassle, glad i did and never look back
you dont have a PC?!?! XD

miskari said:
you dont have a PC?!?! XD

i have a company supplied laptop i use to browse the web and such

things for me are like this

married, two children, responsibilities, etc....so when i actually do get time to play i dont want to patch games, etc...etc......and i like to entertain friends, PC just doesnt work for me anymore for gaming....so glad i got my 360

im completely 100% sick of seeing "Lost connection to EA master server". holy sh%t It happened at least 4 times tonight randomly during games even on different servers. This has never once happened before more then once a night, and even at that point I shouldnt put up with it.

I've never had any type of problems like this with console games fjkrnafjknwejkafnwefjbwefhb

as for gears of war locking up, my 360 randomly locks up on every single game. I highly doubt its the game.

Actually, Jade Empire is comming to PC sometime in 2007. IIRC the PC version will have extra features that aren't in the Xbox version, just like the PC version of KotOR (that extra shop where you could buy those expensive items and two extra saber crystals).

Needing new hardware has always been a part of PC gaming. Granted you'll need/want newer hardware more frequently than a new console. You just need to plan around which parts you can afford and when to buy them. I recently (in August) bought a 512mb 7900GT and if I can stick to the plan, it won't be until 8 to 12 months before I'll allow myself to even think about buying another card (DirectX 10 games and a stable Vista must be out and about) or CPU/memory/motherboard. I really enjoy upgrading my PC. I guess I like that if something isn't running up to what I feel it should, I can simply add something faster or larger. I'm not made of money either. I need to find the right item at the right time before it's mine.

With regards to quantity over quality, this is a problem with almost everything! There are console games that are just more of the same over and over again as much as there is on the PC. Heck, maybe even on mobile phones too! It's unavoidable when there are people willing to push garbage instead of greatness. The remedy is to read reviews, pay attention and when possible, play the demo! Being able to find a demo for the game you're interested in is a major plus for the PC. Demo games do exist for consoles, but in my experience they're not as prolific. Of course not having an internet connection can make things harder.

I've got issues with Starforce. I dislike them for how present themselves and for the episode when they provided a link to a warez game because the developer stated copy protection wasn't necessary. That was to prove a point? Unfortunately because it's so easy to pirate PC games, many devs have taken drastic measures to protect them. Of course no protection scheme is perfect and there will be some sort of trial and error needed when dealing with it. I don't think it's worth giving up on PC gaming though (IMHO).

The big thing is that I love games! I'm planning on buying a 360 and a Wii in March because I really want GoW and Twilight Princess, but am broke now (Xmas money is going to important bills). I own a Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Neo Geo CD (I'm a huge SNK 2D fighting game fan) and am finally getting into my PSP (thanks to Killzone: Liberation and Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony). When the PS3 has more games out I'll seriously consider it. Having more options for games definitley helps.

TheNuker said:

Can you be more specific or is that as Techx suggests? Take Oblivion for example. What's the point of running it with everything maxxed out? To become as immersed in the experience as possible. I play games to transport myself into another world, to do things that I can't in real life. More graphical features help bring that immersion to a higher level. With a console game, that typically turns into "I want a bigger TV", but it's for the same reasons. More immersion usually means more fun :)

If you're sick of PC gaming, either take a break from gaming in general for a while, or go strictly console. Myself, I was never able to get into console gaming. A couple titles I was able to play with my son and enjoy, but PC gaming is what I enjoy most. I won't get into the PC vs console argument, that's just my opinion. I agree that games could be better, but I'm certainly having a good time with what is available. I played Oblivion a couple times through, then Titan Quest. Then I picked up NWN2 when it came out in October and just recently I got Guild Wars: Nightfall for Christmas. Once a month I go to a LAN party and play FEAR and UT2004, but the rest of the time I'm mostly an RPG player. If you take a break from gaming and come back to it in a year or so, there'll be plenty of titles to choose from and you may get back into it. Then again, maybe the console is the way for you to go...

If you don't like PC gaming, it'd probably make sense to just stop. No need to force yourself to do what you don't want to do.

TheNuker said:
...Imagine a game like Sonic remade, being able to run at supersonic speeds with today's shader technologies.

The E word that rimes with simulators? Look at my sig .... I love sprites... SSPPPrittesss beyach.

About the only games worth playing on the PC these days are strategy games. FPS is burnt out, and focuses too much on graphics. RPG is nothing but MMO's now, with very few notable exceptions, and most of those are abortive attempts riddled with bugs (Bloodlines, Gothic 3, Kotor2). Action RPGs are a sad attempt at "action". I fail to see how clicking the right mouse button until you have RSI passed for "action". I'd rather be playing Progress Quest.

Defcon, Galactic Civilizations 2, Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War, and Company of Heroes (which I never played due to swearing to never play another WW2 game) are all amazing keepers though. And with the exception of CoH, they won't bring your PC to its knees either.

I must say though, with the death of the small independent studio, great games like Sacrifice, Battlezone, Deus Ex (the first one) and Heretic 2 just don't get made anymore :( I think iDSoftware is the last independent studio, but they are pretty much a one trick pony at this point.

I'm not sure Console gaming is much better to be honest, but occasionally some maverick inside the big buys will make something amazing. Usually he's promptly fired (Clover, Yasumi Matsuno, etc), but usually their games live on, even if other attempts by those people to start new companies and continue on fail miserably.

I blame EA (as is popular to do) for doing everything in their power to destroy gaming as an art form in my lifetime.

Namork said:
About the only games worth playing on the PC these days are strategy games. FPS is burnt out, and focuses too much on graphics. RPG is nothing but MMO's now, with very few notable exceptions, and most of those are abortive attempts riddled with bugs (Bloodlines, Gothic 3, Kotor2). Action RPGs are a sad attempt at "action". I fail to see how clicking the right mouse button until you have RSI passed for "action". I'd rather be playing Progress Quest.

Defcon, Galactic Civilizations 2, Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War, and Company of Heroes (which I never played due to swearing to never play another WW2 game) are all amazing keepers though. And with the exception of CoH, they won't bring your PC to its knees either.

I must say though, with the death of the small independent studio, great games like Sacrifice, Battlezone, Deus Ex (the first one) and Heretic 2 just don't get made anymore :( I think iDSoftware is the last independent studio, but they are pretty much a one trick pony at this point.

I'm not sure Console gaming is much better to be honest, but occasionally some maverick inside the big buys will make something amazing. Usually he's promptly fired (Clover, Yasumi Matsuno, etc), but usually their games live on, even if other attempts by those people to start new companies and continue on fail miserably.

I blame EA (as is popular to do) for doing everything in their power to destroy gaming as an art form in my lifetime.
There's still quite a bit of indy games being released on Steam.

Yes, PC gaming has gotten shallow and repetitive. So many techdemos and so few games it feels like. I keep my PC updated and could run whatever I want, but there's nothing to play that's intereting. FPS? I'll puke if I see another generic FPS. RPG? We get maybe one good one a year. RTS? Some good ones recently, but they're short lived as it's just the same old formula over and over. SIM? What the heck is that?

Where are the original games at? Where did the SIMs go? Adventure games? Anything other than FPS? PC gaming used to be diverse, now it's all the same. Like it or not the more powerful consoles have stolen all of the the original games. Doesn't matter how ZOMG PC is more powerful if it's not being used for anything other than cranking out tired rehashes.

TheNuker said:

3) Copy Protections:

If you want a new and different kind of game to play, try The Ship on steam. It's an online game where you are to kill your query without witnesses while avoiding getting killed by your hunter. You can use anything from tennis rackets to rifles and the focus is on gameplay instead of graphics.

Games have been programmed for hardware that doesn't exist ever since the original Doom, so that's nothing new.

As for new and different games, you just have to look around. Like some have said, Steam has many many indie and small studio games that are different from anything else out there. Darwinia, The Ship, Uplink, Roboblitz, and many many more.

Buy the following:

1 Wii
1 DS Lite
Some GC controllers
A GC memory card
Twilight Princess (Wii)
Rayman: Raving Rabbits (Wii)
Trauma Center: Second Opinion (Wii)
Alien Hominid (GC)
Mario Kart: Double Dash (GC)
Final Fantasy III (DS)
Animal Crossing (DS)

All of these games are super fun and original. FFIII and Zelda lack a lot of replay value, but you can easily put 100 hours into them.

heh my barton 2500+ and ati x850pro have been running everything fine, i dont see what the issue is? yeah my system is old but guess what it still plays games even newer ones, maybe not at all the leetest settings but it plays them,besides I got better things to do like feed my kids. quit whining and just play the games, isnt that the point of them too have fun?

So pc games are repetitive and boring huh. I guess console games aren't repetitive :rolleyes:

There are plenty of great games for pc. There are also plenty of great games for consoles. Im guessing they are boring to since they have the same gameplay.

you put that pos system together earlier THIS YEAR? i made mine LAST year...

if you hate the newer games (like me) just play your old ones. once they get boring, get outside. then play them again!

lol, I JUST upgraded to the rig in sig, lol.

It's doin me just fine in AOE3 and DoD:S.

TheNuker

To be honest, you sound like your experience is confined to the games aisle at Best Buy. Sure EA and the other big publishers have taken the shelf space for the tired rehash of a game of the week, but it doesn't take much time to look past the slop de jour to find some really creative and wonderful titles. There have already been a number of good suggestions in this thread (Defcon and Galactic Civilizations II being my personal favorites) for games that will run beautifully on mid range hardware (or less, Defcon needs only a GF2 and P3 to run) and focus on unique, creative and just enjoyable game play.

Good PC games aren't dying, they've just moved. They're no longer in the back row at your local computer shop, they're through online distribution. Take a look at Darwinian, Defcon, The Ship, Galactic Civilizations II, Jets 'n Guns, if you're a of the genres, you'll be a fan of those games.

Adding onto my suggestion of stopping...

If you remove yourself from the upgrade rat race, you can return whenever you like. Then you can purchase the games you've missed and enjoy relatively bleeding-edge graphics on a relatively blazing fast computer for much much less money. Because these things are measured relatively. They can still blow you away as long as they're new to you.

bildad said:
Where are the original games at? Where did the SIMs go? Adventure games? Anything other than FPS? PC gaming used to be diverse, now it's all the same. Like it or not the more powerful consoles have stolen all of the the original games. Doesn't matter how ZOMG PC is more powerful if it's not being used for anything other than cranking out tired rehashes.

spore

Ive been slowly but surely moving away from computer gaming for awhile now... Recently Ive spent too much time messing around with configuration/drivers to get my friends stuff to work at acceptable speeds especially with the crazy high end requirements some of the new games sport (im looking at you supreme commander). While this may be fine if everyone you know is a hardcore tech head with a nice computer, it is not the case in my situation. I've also noticed that the newer console games are putting more emphasis on cooperative gameplay compared to what ive seen recently in computer games. Hopefully this is only a temporary imbalance but Im not confident that any computer game can top the awesome experiences ive had recently with Gears of War. Crackdown also looks to be a great coop game coming soon to console, but since it has yet to come out I will reserve judgement.

I think the real difference is how much effort it takes to get something to work. No one is going to question weither or not a playstation game is going to run properly on a playstation, but compatability and playability are always things to take into consideration when gaming on the computer. As I get older, I am finding myself gradually less willing to play PC doctor and would rather just turn on a console, play a game, and not worry about it.

Mr. Miyagi said:
Wait for Portal. :)

no! I can't wait I want it now!! it looks like a lot of fun, I like fps puzzlerz, and portal appears to be the epitmoe of one, with all the awesome pc games coming out this year and dx10, if your sick now, you won't be for very long :) as long as you have the right hardware, that is ;)

WraithOD said:
Ive been slowly but surely moving away from computer gaming for awhile now... Recently Ive spent too much time messing around with configuration/drivers to get my friends stuff to work at acceptable speeds especially with the crazy high end requirements some of the new games sport (im looking at you supreme commander). While this may be fine if everyone you know is a hardcore tech head with a nice computer, it is not the case in my situation. I've also noticed that the newer console games are putting more emphasis on cooperative gameplay compared to what ive seen recently in computer games. Hopefully this is only a temporary imbalance but Im not confident that any computer game can top the awesome experiences ive had recently with Gears of War. Crackdown also looks to be a great coop game coming soon to console, but since it has yet to come out I will reserve judgement.

I think the real difference is how much effort it takes to get something to work. No one is going to question weither or not a playstation game is going to run properly on a playstation, but compatability and playability are always things to take into consideration when gaming on the computer. As I get older, I am finding myself gradually less willing to play PC doctor and would rather just turn on a console, play a game, and not worry about it.

exactly where i am too.....i might only have an hour to play, and would rather not spend half of that hour tinkering, i want to play now

I just purchased the 360. I am sold on the console now. As I said in another thread..I will always have a PC, it will just not be my main gaming platform from now on. Screw having to upgrade all of the time and shit. The 360s grafx are just fine for my needs.

The hardware problem is usually the result of poor upgrading. You have plan these things, not just by what you can afford as soon as you need something new. A lot of people went for a 9800pro to the 6600GT because the 6600GT was 100$ than the 6800GT. The thing is they paid 200$ for a 10$ performance increase. When people do this they actually waste money because they have to upgrade more often. Instead spending say, 200$ on a Ti4200, 200$ on a 9800pro, 250$ on a 6800GT, which is still a decent card, a lot of people skirt the low end buying perhaps a Ti-4200 for 200$, a 9500pro when it's 200$, a 9800pro when it's 200$, a 6600GT for 200$, a 7600GT for 200$ ect. so instead of spending 450$ over 4 years, they spend 1000$ and don't end up having as good performance for most of the time. The point is people buy cheap cards for little performance increase very often instead of saving up and waiting to buy a reasonable upgrade.

The problem with game quality transcends the platform. The PC has had a slow year this year, but after the initial media blitz surrounding the console launch, it will pick up. It's natural that a switch in environments will makes games seem fresh, but only because you're playing new and different types of games. If you'd been playing consoles for this long you'd be tired of those games too.

The copy protection thing is a flash in the pan. People got so mad about that stuff that most developers have dropped star force. Besides, if you really want to you can just buy the game + *alternately obtain it* while it's still a problem.

Oh and trust me, you didn't miss out on Lock Down. Star Force finally did someone a favor. :p

nobody_here said:
i feel you man

time to let it go

do like i did

I feel you. I did the same. I was starting to get tired/frusterated with PC gaming just cause the lack of games and Graphics. So I sold my gaming rig and got a 360 nov 22nd. waited 22 hours for it and have been happy since and will never come back. I guess its all user preference. Pc gaming wont ever Die hopefully it will just get better.

yeah, price/performance ratio is the thing to look for. I've built 2 computers so far, both lasted 2.5 years without any half-way upgrades, costing about 1k for the first (late 2001) and 2k for the 2nd (mid 2004), not including monitors. I splurged on water cooling (200?) and a 6800 ultra (500) for the 2nd one. If you keep upgrading in small steps, it will cost you more. I've still got some time left in the current setup, i'll probably move on when vista is out and DX10 cards have come down a bit. (or maybe thats wishful thinking)

Agree on the price/performance thing.

I got a refurbed 754 socket mboard for $35, newcastle 2800+ for $150, 1 GB PC3200 for $150, and a refurb 9800pro (XT core) for $160 almost 3 years ago.

Since then I did a few mini-upgrades: Early January 06 I upgraded to a PCI-E board ($70) and a cheap $44 AR vanilla x800 card. Then later this year (late summer) I got a Venice 3400+ and an x850xt ($120 AR) and an Antec 430w ($40 AR).

Along with a few extras here and there (internal mem card reader, new DVD burner for $30, etc) that's about $700 for 3 years. And my rig should last at least another year.

I still run games fine. A 3000+ is enough CPU unless you're obsessed with bleeding edge games. Or just go scrounge up an overclockable Venice core chip for cheap and ebay the old 3000+. My rig plays FEAR Combat just fine at 1280x1024. Most of my non-graphics-whore FPS games I play at 1920x1200 maxed (Guild Wars, Civ4, UT2004)

BTW I agree on PC games getting old. The market seems to mostly only of FPS/RTS games, of which I only play a few of. PC RPGs are getting closer and closer to being dead, all MMORPGs.

If you're bored with PC gaming, go wait in line somewhere and pick up a Wii, or a DS. Games like Kirby Canvas Curse, Phoenix Wright, Rayman Raving Rabbids, etc are all fresh and new, Nintendo consoles seem to be getting most of the unique games lately.

Or if you are cheap grab a PS2 and a few games like Katamari Damacy or Shadow of the Colossus (which I've yet to pick up). The giant user base on the PS2 has made it a good platform for niche/unique games as well.

Back